Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not as bad as people are making out

MMO Background - 7 yrs playing wow on and off.

Over those years i have given it up regularly getting bored of warcraft as you do then return for a few months and then get bored again and then return again and then get bored again saying no more and then return again........

The 'hype' turkeys aka Rift, warhammer, age of conan, LOTRO all stole my grandmums inheritance money and died a quick death.

I played SWTOR beta and wasnt inspired either so cancelled my pre-order.

I went back to warcrap and have given it up again once another alt reached boring endgame at 85 logging into SW every day.

I got the free trial SWTOR email and thought what the hell and tbh i think the game is quite good. Im probably more at home since it is a complete WOW clone so feels familiar but in a different new environment.

Graphically very good, combat system is good which is very important.

Only thing i HATE is the constant 'spacebar' tapping. Im not a 'lore' person and really have no time for the cut scene rubbish. It just interrupts the gameplay flow.

I have a Terra beta weekend coming up next weekend so i will make the decision for Terra or SWTOR until GW2 comes out.

No more warcraft ^^

the search continues

Comments

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I'm pretty sure someone will right out tell you that you only know of WoW and that is all. Since you know nothing about any games before that like EQ, UO, DAOC, ect.....you just don't know any better. Apparently you have to be an old schooler on these boards to appreciate the since of failer that BW has unleashed.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by airborne1312

MMO Background - 7 yrs playing wow.

Stopped reading there.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

As a lore fan it breaks my heart to see people skip cut-scenes, but i know what you mean about flow. Let us know your thoughts on TERA in comparison, i prefure its graphics, combat and pvp from SWTOR personaly.

I can't blame you for just sticking to WoW, I've played over 40 other mmos, and I still go back, but I would give as many others as you can a try just for contrast, try sandboxes for a change.

• NikecowNikecow Member UncommonPosts: 31

Im sorry to say but the combat system isnt good at all.

They see me lurkin' they hatin...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This game isn't meant to be rushed through. I know that WOW put you in the "rush to endgame" minset  due to their crappy quests and lifeless quest givers, but this game is more about the journey than the destination. Enjoy the ride.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Stopped reading there.

You see what I mean!

Stopped reading there.

The elitist attitude on this board amazes me.  What difference does his long time playing of WOW have to do with the validity of his comments? WOW has been the most successful MMO since it's launch. It only makes sense that it's fan base would get bored and try other games.

• airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

Stopped reading there.

i wont rise to it but im not a WOW fanboy by any means.

Perhaps if i said my first PC was a zx spectrum 48k and i completed 'ultimate play the game' underwurlde you might read on

Or my second PC was a C64 and i completed 'The last ninja' or 'raid over moscow'.

Perhaps i insulted you about not liking the 'lore'?

open your mind son

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by ktanner3

Stopped reading there.

The elitist attitude on this board amazes me.  What difference does his long time playing of WOW have to do with the validity of his comments? WOW has been the most successful MMO since it's launch. It only makes sense that it's fan base would get bored and try other games.

I assume it's because the general consensus is that Swtor = scifi WoW. So players that liked WoW will most likely not hate it. Nothing really about being elitist.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Stopped reading there.

You see what I mean!

Er yeah, because if you have nothing else to compare it to besides WOW, then your perspective will be limited due to your lack of knowledge about what other possibilities there are from alternate design models.

Besides, if you really can play only one title for  7 years, you're a bit of odd duck anyways.

Oh yes, back to the OP.  I'm currently playing SWTOR, and you're right, it isn't that bad, it just isn't that good.  A decent time waster to play through the story content, but there will be no issue pulling me away from it once something new comes out.

Heck, even Tera is starting to look good, and that's not really my sort of game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

but i completed 'monty on the run ' and 'jet set willy' when he was still a foetus so i do have some cudos

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Stopped reading there.

A  foolish reaction. I played CoH for 6 years. That doesn't mean I haven't  played CoV, CO, DCUO, WoW, Aion, Fallen Earth, Earthrise, TR, RF Online and Unreal.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

i didnt play it solidly for 7 yrs like i said..on and off

'new group of signals..enemy fighters heading your way'

'swtich to front deflector screens'

But i did complete horace goes skiing on the zx81

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

It is only bad by elitist standards... those people who think every MMO is bad. Those who only want end game content and hardcore PVP and have no interest in the ride. These people are a very small minority in the MMO market (despite what the population of this site is) and yet they wonder why companies don't make games for them, 1 glaring reason is that they are never happy with the product anyway. 

It will always be hip to bad mouth the popular kids... be it WoW or SWTOR.  

I am not sure why people who just want the "End Game" PVP experience don't just play FPS or fighting games, those games give them what they want.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by Connmacart

Stopped reading there.

I assume it's because the general consensus is that Swtor = scifi WoW. So players that liked WoW will most likely not hate it. Nothing really about being elitist.

If he had said "12yrs started playing MMOs since EQ" then your statement would have made that much more sense.

So playing evercrack I mean quest would have given my statement more weight?

I am the original old school ZX speccie gamer. Hell my first console was the atari with cartridges playing tank pong for hours.

Surely this gives merit to my claims about SWTOR not being that bad.

I spotted the RIFT turkey in the first day.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by airwolf1

Im sorry to say but the combat system isnt good at all.

Le me fix that for you.

""I'm sorry to say but in my opinion the combat system isnt good at all.

Others do like it so it's just your personal opinion just as me liking it is my opinion.  Neither of our opinions make it a FACT do they.

Here is another example for you:

I don like automatic transmissions but I certainly cant say.  Automatic transmissions arnt any good at all.

That is all I have time to teach you today.

Name that good combat system please.

If you say LOTRO ill shoot you myself

I am the original old school ZX speccie gamer. Hell my first console was the atari with cartridges playing tank pong for hours.

Dude it's ok, no need to defend yourself, it's not your fault.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Dude it's ok, no need to defend yourself, it's not your fault.

[mod edit]

Pretty much this. I usually call them Keyboard Commandos but that works too :)

I called them tinpot keyboard generals on company of heroes...Rommel wannabes.

You mention the word WOW and your the enemy...I know how it goes.

But i have played a lot of games over my 39 years on this planet and can spot a turkey.

Perhaps SWTOR will become one but so far so good.

There are people still playing age of conan so go figure...the world is mad.

You mention the word WOW and your the enemy...I know how it goes.

But i have played a lot of games over my 39 years on this planet and can spot a turkey.

Perhaps SWTOR will become one but so far so good.

There are people still playing age of conan so go figure...the world is mad.

There are also plenty of people playing Rift even though the gloom and doomers like to call it a failure. They seem to have the attitude that if they aren't having fun then no one else should either.

By the way, I remember VERY well the Atari 2600. I remember the crappy versions of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. And of course who can forget the grand daddy of them all...PONG? Yes, I'm that old.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

This game isn't meant to be rushed through. I know that WOW put you in the "rush to endgame" minset  due to their crappy quests and lifeless quest givers, but this game is more about the journey than the destination. Enjoy the ride.

That is a good way of putting it.  Hopefully it will change as the game get's more updates, but the journey is pretty good (at least it was for me, until about 30ish, then just got tedious), just not much to do once that journey is over.....except do it again.

OP I really liked the game too when I first started it, but maybe I played it too much, or am just burnt out on MMOs, but that feeling faded after a month of so. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Over those years i have given it up regularly getting bored of warcraft as you do then return for a few months and then get bored again and then return again and then get bored again saying no more and then return again........

The 'hype' turkeys aka Rift, warhammer, age of conan, LOTRO all stole my grandmums inheritance money and died a quick death.

I went back to warcrap and have given it up again once another alt reached boring endgame at 85 logging into SW every day.

I got the free trial SWTOR email and thought what the hell and tbh i think the game is quite good. Im probably more at home since it is a complete WOW clone so feels familiar but in a different new environment.

Only thing i HATE is the constant 'spacebar' tapping. Im not a 'lore' person and really have no time for the cut scene rubbish. It just interrupts the gameplay flow.

I have a Terra beta weekend coming up next weekend so i will make the decision for Terra or SWTOR until GW2 comes out.

No more warcraft ^^

the search continues

Well of course this has been said many times before but into the fray once again, SWTOR is a STORY MMO GAME, it is not made to be space barred , if you find yourself doing that than this game is not for you-it is really as simple as that.  You would not play Eve unless you liked space combat and spread sheets.  You would not like Darkfall unless you loved PvP.  You would not like Lotro unless you loved Lord of the rings movies or books and liked to kill boars and bears all day,  you would not like fallen earth or ryzom or horizons if you did not like crafting, etc, etc

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

No more warcraft ^^

the search continues

get to 50 first. /bye