Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDC 2012 TSW presentation video (35m of gameplay)

124»

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

This game is rated PEGI 16 and is certainly aimed for the more mature group of gamers.

Personally I think 16 is too low for the title as this game can really mess up your thinking if you take it too seriously.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Arkain

LOL, this is funny. when a MMO said no to same sex (SWTOR) everyone got up in arms, this one said sure to it and people are up in arms.

LOL

With the multitude of weaknesses SWTOR has, we are way past the point where this matters at all.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Azrile

But this is typical Funcom.  Ok, so the male developer starts off creating a female character.. proceeds to show her in skimpy outfits.. finally settles on a cowgirl top.. .. then we get to the gameplay..which is 30 seconds walking very slowely down an alley.. and then 4 minutes in a hotel room with another woman in a very sexual atmosphere.

Again, this is Funcom.. a company that couldn´t go through a 5 minute interview about AOC without mentioning that there would be nipples.

That is their marketing..  Just like AOC, gameplay will suck, but hey.. you will get to be part of this lesbian hotel scene every time you create a female.

With the lack of actual gameplay footage, they could have shown a lot more than just this stupid crap for 12 year old boys.

Aye. Well said. I always thought Funcom's marketing tactics were of the cheapest, lowest kind. Also with AoC it has been totally off the mark for me in whatever hook they tried (blood & gore, violence & brutality, tits & sexiness, etc).

I've got nothing against adult content, heck there should be much more of it in games in general (average gamer being 37+ or so), but to flaunt it like a whore to sell or hype your games is an insult to the intelligence (and average age) of your customers in my opinion.

Must be they really are convinced that their main target group is much younger than the average mmorpg gamer.

Seems to me that you both missed the whole point of the scene, I'd say you both failed at the required intelligence to grasp what it was about in a fixation on sexually influenced themes.

I think that they actually expect more of MMORPG gamers that'll play the game: people that will be able to use internet nd their brains to solve puzzles as well as adult enough that they won't shy from sexual innuendo as if they're still 13 years old, but be able to see it in context and grasp why it's there. Just as everyone who stops to think also will realise how it is that the Illuminatie will strap you on a table and inject you with drugs and the Templar will send you to a madman instead of the Dragon scene.

I mean, seriously people: most of you here are adults, people shouldn't get squeamish anymore with things like that.

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Arkain

LOL, this is funny. when a MMO said no to same sex (SWTOR) everyone got up in arms, this one said sure to it and people are up in arms.

LOL

With the multitude of weaknesses SWTOR has, we are way past the point where this matters at all.

I think his point was obvious, that no matter what, you'll always have some people complaining whether it's right or left (and sometimes the same people complain about both)

Originally posted by Unlight

Not a bad way to get inducted, to be honest, but don't tell me there was some high brow concept that could be gleaned from it other than "Look at the two chicks get it on -- cool huh?"  That's what was presented and that's how it was meant to be interpreted.  The only thing that really bothers me about it is that is that it was of such poor quality.  Otherwise, I'm a fan of lady love.

Some people will get what the scene is about, others won't or just won't care.

Heck, when you find yourself in a monster infested Tokyo underground area right after that sexual scene, someone'd have to be quite dense not to realise that 1 thing perhaps in some way may be related to the other. If a person will be able to pick up everything that's going on, well, that'll vary from one person to the next.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

This game is rated PEGI 16 and is certainly aimed for the more mature group of gamers.

Personally I think 16 is too low for the title as this game can really mess up your thinking if you take it too seriously.

I don't know, EU people seem to be less prudish than US people by a fair margin (pretty much 99% of all prudish remarks originate from the same country).

I mean, AoC had a multitude of very mature sutuations (prostitution, slavery, trafficing, occult murders, dismemberment, torture and others) and the offensive thing for the prude population was the nipples. I'm sure TSW will tackle similarly mature issues, but I guess the same prude crowd will yell foul on the couple secs showing nothing groping of same sex people.

Should the developers listen to them? Not if AoC's history is any indication. The presence of absence of nipples had no effect to the success of the game and after a couple minutes the novelty wears off. I predict the same will happen with TSW. This scene will play no real part in the success or failure of the game, but it will be setting the mood for those interested enough to delve into TSW lore.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Seems to me that you both missed the whole point of the scene, I'd say you both failed at the required intelligence to grasp what it was about in a fixation on sexually influenced themes.

I think that they actually expect more of MMORPG gamers that'll play the game: people that will be able to use internet nd their brains to solve puzzles as well as adult enough that they won't shy from sexual innuendo as if they're still 13 years old, but be able to see it in context and grasp why it's there. Just as everyone who stops to think also will realise how it is that the Illuminatie will strap you on a table and inject you with drugs and the Templar will send you to a madman instead of the Dragon scene.

I mean, seriously people: most of you here are adults, people shouldn't get squeamish anymore with things like that.

You kinda missed thier point.

It's not that they showed sexual content at all. (and personally I didn't mind it in the slightest). It's the fact that they chose to make that the highlight of their demo, in exchange for actual content. Honestly, while I really like Funcoms style (in-game), their presentations always feel cheap, and their games just continue to miss the mark over and over. (Need I even bring up Age of Conan again? this is the same company).

Speaking of which, this reminds me a lot of that game. Some interesting mechanics, but not really well executed. This (sadly) is starting to look like a typical MMO, with guns and magic. I didn't see much in the way of aiming, seemed mostly lock / tab targetting. I didn't see dodging, and the crafting system seemed overly complex for no real reason. It's a shame, because the environments look absolutely gorgeous, as did some of the mobs. The atmosphere and aesthetics of the game look top notch, but the actual gameplay kind of just left me feeling 'meh'.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

What's so special about dodging? It's just an extra 'oh shit' button. Rather people learn to position themselves properly. As for tab targeting, it's just a matter of taste. I like all mmorpgs, both those with tab targetting (LOTRO, WoW etc.), soft tab targeting (AoC, Blade & Soul) and no targetting (Tera).

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Those who have gotten their hands on GW2 know that the dodging system is a nice gimmick.

However I'm expecting in long term the dodging will just become a major annoyance (thinking the harder dungeons) and it does also limit the desigining of content because while you are dodging you can't do anything else. Let's just say that the "typical" MMO combat gives room to other features that are more limited in more chaotic action combat system. GW2 combat is certainly fun and different, but does that fit a MMORPG, that's another discussion.

Personally I know I'll be tuning out my builds and looking for optimal combinations for ages in TSW. I've spent so much time on "respeccing" and trying to find something new and different in every MMO I've played. Secret World will be blessing for me and other gamers who are interested in complexity and actual character progression.

I personally don't give much value to combat system in MMORPGs. But the main thing is that it offers at least some amount of room for skillful play. I'm more of a content/progression whore.

P.S Don't say TSW is "generic" or "typical". The theme itself makes the game rather unique.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by aesperus

(Need I even bring up Age of Conan again? this is the same company).

PLEASE...Stop this non-sense with Age of Conan..

Age of Conan was a good game at launch , with some features missing..I played it at launch and didnt find anything to complain about.. Sure it had some minor issues..but what the hell..Most of it's issues at launch didnt become me because I didnt play PvP for instance...

And now it's one of the better MMO's in the AAA crowd, this isnt even disputable or a matter of taste, along witb WoW , Lotro and a few others Age Of Conan is simply one of those better titles up there. It has to few players however becasue people likes to spew shit over this title for some very odd reasons..

FunCom is one of the better game creators there is right now, a game developer that dares to take risks..We need those developers..Not more developers that gives us another  World of Warcraft again, but maybe that is what you like..

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by thark

Age of Conan was a good game at launch , with some features missing..I played it at launch and didnt find anything to complain about.. Sure it had some minor issues..but what the hell..Most of it's issues at launch didnt become me because I didnt play PvP for instance...

And now it's one of the better MMO's in the AAA crowd, this isnt even disputable or a matter of taste, along witb WoW , Lotro and a few others Age Of Conan is simply one of those better titles up there. It has to few players however becasue people likes to spew shit over this title for some very odd reasons..

FunCom is one of the better game creators there is right now, a game developer that dares to take risks..We need those developers..Not more developers that gives us another  World of Warcraft again, but maybe that is what you like..

So there weren't a boatload of bugs, missing content, sieging not working, missing features? Age of Conan was utter crap at launch and I was there as well. Having to nickel and dime every quest close to your level surely wasn't needed between 40-60. doing Villas from level 60 to 80 as a main source of xp or fall back to basic grinding wasn't needed at all. People bugging their way into Wing 3 to get free epics was nice too. I personally loved the quest that were only doable one time per instance due to them never respawning forcing people to either wait for a new instance or go epic instead. some of those still existed 2 years after release. surely you remember every third beguiler demon in Poitain dropping an epic item which Funcom fixed by removing epic world drops for a very long time. 

AoC after leaving Tortage was a massive disappointment that's why the subs dropped from 800k to 100k just a few mnonths after launch.

Even now the developers miss more often then not. Ahazu Zagam is still bugged and has been since januari. Or what about how they removed shield of the risen and everyone started massive respad ganking in minis. Oh I also love how they moved the respads outside of wing 1 and 2 making you zone in after wiping. Sieging of course was never fixed. Bori was an utter failure as a PvP objective.

You sir need to see what AoC truly is and it is nothing but a massive gear treadmill.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Originally posted by Connmacart

So there weren't a boatload of bugs, missing content, sieging not working, missing features? Age of Conan was utter crap at launch and I was there as well. Having to nickel and dime every quest close to your level surely wasn't needed between 40-60. doing Villas from level 60 to 80 as a main source of xp or fall back to basic grinding wasn't needed at all. People bugging their way into Wing 3 to get free epics was nice too. I personally loved the quest that were only doable one time per instance due to them never respawning forcing people to either wait for a new instance or go epic instead. some of those still existed 2 years after release. surely you remember every third beguiler demon in Poitain dropping an epic item which Funcom fixed by removing epic world drops for a very long time. 

AoC after leaving Tortage was a massive disappointment that's why the subs dropped from 800k to 100k just a few mnonths after launch.

Even now the developers miss more often then not. Ahazu Zagam is still bugged and has been since januari. Or what about how they removed shield of the risen and everyone started massive respad ganking in minis. Oh I also love how they moved the respads outside of wing 1 and 2 making you zone in after wiping. Sieging of course was never fixed. Bori was an utter failure as a PvP objective.

You sir need to see what AoC truly is and it is nothing but a massive gear treadmill.

I think what killed subs the most at first was the orange bit. I remember grinding villas over and over again due to a dearth of quest content.

What remained was the hardcore PvP/RP crowd, but sieging was so incredibly buggy and graphically demanding at the time that the few who could actually participate were often put off by the bugs, or even worse, getting locked out after having waited days to have an opporunity to even do it.

The raiding was a joke as well around release and a few months afterward. It was simply far too easy for most guilds and people winded up being forced to participate in the buggy PvP.

I'm not sure how the game has improved, but the release of an MMO is what makes it/breaks it.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

More videos i watch about this game the more it makes we want to pre-order..

Funcom have made some of the best MMORPGs to date so I have no issues spending more money with them.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

No there wasnt a boatload of bugs..There were some bugs I guess, but it's all exagerated beyond any real sence

and the thing with the Villas was just a hearsay . Some players that was to lazy to look around abit started with grinding in those Villlas, then  all of a sudden it was needed to reach max level..I did them once, each of the 5(It was 5 right ?) NO it was NOT needed.

People bugging their way into Wing 3  lol, .Sounds like those players needs to get banned, In every game there is, it exists loop holes, exploits etc..Players that  takes advantage of such things does not belong in their game period, even if its due to shoddy programming or whatever the reason.

And No I don't buy that Age of Conan in itself was a MASSIVE dissapointment, It was a dissapointment for some ..But the climate in games today is rather diffrent, we get new releases left and right..and once you reach max level in the game you move on..It's like that in every released game nowadays, for some this shows more than others..It's the same with SWTOR and other recently released games, Rift for example--

Every little bit in this is just blown out in epic proportions, and I guess you are part of that rumour mill with your bogus tales..Sure you are entitled to that opinion..But so am I

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i think the casting animations and the running animations are a LOT better and smoother in AoC... In this video it just looks forced and definitelly need more work.... Also i know the guy said they will add a lot more choices in character creation, but the ones he showed look so ugly i would not know what to create....  everything else look very good. IMO

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Speaking of that *scene*. If I make a male Dragon character do I get to make sweet manly love to that tattooed guy? I'm just asking because apparently if I make a female character, she's apparently a lesbian or at least bisexual, whether I want her to be or not, so it's only fair if the male characters are the same.

Otherwise, it's basically the same crap Funcom did with boobies in AoC--to attract more teenage males.

• BarsoomBarsoom Member UncommonPosts: 15

Concurr with the comments about FUNCOM making some of the best MMOs. Anarchy Online and Age of Conan are two of my favorites. I have already Pre Order and can't wait to get early access! /gameOn

Played: The Realm, Anarchy-Online, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars, Age Of Conan, Star Trek Online, Aion, Rift, SWTOR

• RejakuRejaku Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by heartless

Speaking of that *scene*. If I make a male Dragon character do I get to make sweet manly love to that tattooed guy? I'm just asking because apparently if I make a female character, she's apparently a lesbian or at least bisexual, whether I want her to be or not, so it's only fair if the male characters are the same.

Otherwise, it's basically the same crap Funcom did with boobies in AoC--to attract more teenage males.

It's the woman going down on the player character no matter the character's gender.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

how many people working on TSW, worked on AoC?

I've got the straight edge.