Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Preordered! What attracted me to the game..

ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Hey all!  I think this game snuck up on me.  I kind of ignored it until it got close to release to not get blinded by hype either positive or negative.  What attracted me to it?  Well I am a bit bored of the new takes on the genre with Rift, SWTOR, etc. and I actually was missing some good old simple old school MMORPG's like Lineage 2.  I read the post here titled 'Tera is bad' and through reading it I realized it just might be great for me.

I kind of want an old school grind, grouping, world PvP, and a more up to date combat system.  I can't wait to play some CBT events to try out some classes.  The Lancer really appeals to me as a pretty unique class.  How are they doing with Tank like skills in PvP? 

Overall I am excited to jump in, grind up on some monsters, and really the posts relating it to grouping for grinding exp similar to FFXI have me quite excited.  I want to try some group friendly quests and do as much grouping as possible.  I have to say I can't wait to play something where the negatives of people on here have actually sounded like positives to me.  I just don't want another PvE story based quest hub grind.  I would rather have less quests and more dungeon crawler/grinding gameplay honestly. 

See you in Tera!

Also what do they have planned for future versions in terms of world PvP/sieging/political aspects of PvP and things of this nature? 

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I feel the same and ended pre ordering it. I have been on MMO break for 2 years now and i think TERA is the best MMO to kickstart it again.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I have the same inclination. . even with GW2 on the horizon.   They sort of kept the "fun" stuff.  I had fun for a few days in the beta.  I was worried about it just being a meaningless leveling game but I understand the end game is supposed to be decent and not just raiding.

Sometimes "better" is okay.  Too many companies have tried to  be the next big thing and just carbon copied so much gameplay it hurts.  I didn't expect to like Tera because of the giant swords and panda people but I didn't mind it. . maybe that coupled with my low expencations is what made it seem refreshing :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

If tank is your game lancer is very fun. Also in pvp get this, they don't SUCK. Yah that's right I said it, they don't suck. As for all the future expansions and plans for this game you can read that on the main site, so I wont go into that. The game itself is very fun, and now that GW2 won't be released just like I've been saying until end of Q3 early Q4, "to avoid wow, and other mmo's" we will have a good few months to enjoy this with a strong population. The CBT's are very fun, do not get discouraged if on the last day a maxed level guy comes to gank you. That is all these players have left to do at the end of the weekend, and honestly is always good for excitement.

Originally posted by hotix

" we will have a good few months to enjoy this with a strong population. 

That seems to be my threshhold so far anyway.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

The name going red system for PvP with higher levels killing and getting ganked wouldn't upset me at all.  It is a huge draw to me.  I hate artificial systems to restrict PvP'ing to only going on within a couple levels forcing a level playing field.  I want some freedom in the world and if that includes getting griefed I will get stronger and find a way to get them back.  This was a big draw to me.

I like the idea of just getting with a group and grinding out mobs, or doing some group PvP.  I just want a big open world where everyone is in it, there are freedoms for travelling and not designations where you can only enter a zone between different levels and silly artificials blocks like this.  I don't care if there are even almost no meaningful quests at this point.  I would take a big open world with no quests or very little over a quest filled linear point a->b themepark with a typical end game.  I don't like raiding at all.

I have read political plans for this game and they seem pretty cool. 

Also no modern MMO has held my interest for more than a month.  EVE, and AoC at times are the only ones that have really.  I only expect a few months of fun from the game as there is a lot on the horizon, but I could see myself spending a decent amount of time with the game leading into things like DOTA 2, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, TSW, GW2, etc.  Really though this game that I had written off has more excited than most for some older school loving.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

I think that's the draw of Tera. The game itself, good combat and horrible quests aside, reminds me of a more old school mmo. Well, it reminds me of my first forays into Lineage 2 though not as hard core.

Knowing that other stuff is happenign besides people running around and questing is a bit more interesting.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AqueAque Member Posts: 118

I went with the Pre Order, got to play CBT2 CBT3 and I love the game.

Dont get me wrong, im not going to say its perfect becuase its not- no game is.

But for me the pro's out do the con's, the one thing I do want to point out is in the PVP aspect-

If you want to PVP in this game, its best to find a group of players ASAP- Open PVP in this game means,

Safety in number + It's fun to run around with people in a group-

Get to know your group or groups + If you know how eachother play's the better you can use your ability's and win-

Its PVP so remember its all for fun, even the most elite play for fun and when that aspect is lost they stop playing!

I do like a little RP myself so I also did do  a bit of solo action on a PVE server, at this moment I can say you CAN solo for the most part in the game but some things or places you will need a group. Its easy to get one if you try and if you dont want to group you dont really have to.(But it does help some area's or quests)

I love the Combat in the game- you get to move, aim, dodge or block, and master your skill's- I dont have to just mash my ( 4-4-3-2-1 and repeat) There are combos and you CAN make your own combos.

^Ugh sorry wanted to say the above so you know why I like it- 

But I want to get some people togather to make a Community for a PVP server ( Safety in number's!) and

if you would like to join - Leave a note on your post! or try to Contact me! ( this is not for a guild just a community group in Tera)

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think that's the draw of Tera. The game itself, good combat and horrible quests aside, reminds me of a more old school mmo. Well, it reminds me of my first forays into Lineage 2 though not as hard core.

Knowing that other stuff is happenign besides people running around and questing is a bit more interesting.

exactly.  that is precisely how i feel about Tera.   everything about it, reminds me of the fun old school mmo but with gorgeous graphics and a very fun action game combat.

every modern so called innovative MMO i've played have been a total let down to me, at one point or another.  they all start with some huge hype,  and eventually their servers turn into ghost towns.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Same thing here. The old school elements are what I like about TERA, and the reason I will be playing.  Open world PVP, Dungeons, BAMs, etc. I love it.

The questing is certainly not a highlight for me, but with the combat, and the old school MMORPG elements I'll look past it.

What are these BAMs I keep reading about?  BadA Monsters?

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Big ass monsters. Just huge mobs that you will run into sooner or later at level 20 and up. Sort of like group mobs, but you can solo them if you want to. Takes a couple of minutes and they can kill you in 2-3 hits if you're not careful.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

I am sure I could find this somehwere but this discussion seems to be realistic and from people who actually know a bit about the game:

Is there world PvP on the PvE servers at all (lakes etc,) or am I looking at a PvP server for this?  

• KingkhannKingkhann Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Nadya3

Originally posted by Sovrath

exactly.  that is precisely how i feel about Tera.   everything about it, reminds me of the fun old school mmo but with gorgeous graphics and a very fun action game combat.

every modern so called innovative MMO i've played have been a total let down to me, at one point or another.  they all start with some huge hype,  and eventually their servers turn into ghost towns.

And there are big chances that same might happen to Tera in west if we take hints from Korea. I wonder what would you say then.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

PvE servers got battlegrounds (not avalible yet), deathmatches, duels and guild wars I think.

If you like pvp you should definitly roll on a pvp server. So much fun :) Who cares if you get ganked now and then.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

I will definitely live on a PvP server.  If they stay away from raid based end game and support PvP in some fun ways I could see playing this game for a while, and as one I come back to if I try and get burned out after a month of another quest based themepark MMO. 

It is funny, but Lineage 2 and FFXI held me longer than most any other MMO.  Hopefully the addictve monster bashing is strong here.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I am sure I could find this somehwere but this discussion seems to be realistic and from people who actually know a bit about the game:

Is there world PvP on the PvE servers at all (lakes etc,) or am I looking at a PvP server for this?  

There will be no outlaw system on the pve servers and the Guild vs Guild system will be different on pve servers.  On pvp servers your guild can declare war on any guild or guilds without the consent of the targeted guild.  On pve servers both guilds have to agree to the war.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

There will be no outlaw system on the pve servers and the Guild vs Guild system will be different on pve servers.  On pvp servers your guild can declare war on any guild or guilds without the consent of the targeted guild.  On pve servers both guilds have to agree to the war.

Thanks everyone PvP it is then.

Originally posted by ProfRed

I will definitely live on a PvP server.  If they stay away from raid based end game and support PvP in some fun ways I could see playing this game for a while, and as one I come back to if I try and get burned out after a month of another quest based themepark MMO. 

It is funny, but Lineage 2 and FFXI held me longer than most any other MMO.  Hopefully the addictve monster bashing is strong here.

In the next round of expansions they will introduce 4-way server wars.  It will take place on a seperate zone (not sure how large it will be).  Each server will have its own fortress as its base,  inside each base is a teleporter that will teleport players to the home server.  In this area you can alliance with another server and if you overrun one of the fortresses you will be able to teleport to that server via server invasions.

~this system will only be for pvp server's~

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

In the next round of expansions they will introduce 4-way server wars.  It will take place on a seperate zone (not sure how large it will be).  Each server will have its own fortress as its base,  inside each base is a teleporter that will teleport players to the home server.  In this area you can alliance with another server and if you overrun one of the fortresses you will be able to teleport to that server via server invasions.

Wow really?  That is a pretty amazing sounding system.  Is this something live in Korea or will it be the next round of updates for Korea and then ported to us?  Not much of a rush right now, but that would make for some pretty awesome end game PvP activity. 

Wow really?  That is a pretty amazing sounding system.  Is this something live in Korea or will it be the next round of updates for Korea and then ported to us?  Not much of a rush right now, but that would make for some pretty awesome end game PvP activity. 

It will be part 2 of the patch that was just launched in Korea last week,  no word yet on when it will drop.   For EU & NA I would expect to see this content later in the year (maybe 3 months after it drops in Korea).

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by hotix

If tank is your game lancer is very fun. Also in pvp get this, they don't SUCK. Yah that's right I said it, they don't suck. As for all the future expansions and plans for this game you can read that on the main site, so I wont go into that. The game itself is very fun, and now that GW2 won't be released just like I've been saying until end of Q3 early Q4, "to avoid wow, and other mmo's" we will have a good few months to enjoy this with a strong population. The CBT's are very fun, do not get discouraged if on the last day a maxed level guy comes to gank you. That is all these players have left to do at the end of the weekend, and honestly is always good for excitement.

Lancers are awesome =D Hard to use because our attack are VERY linear so if you can't aim your going to miss XD but if done right pretty much unkillable in 1v1 by any class. And in pvp Lancer lock down enemy healers. Praticing with my guild and a lancer that player ktera pretty much completely locks down our healer and even kills him and we loss coz our healer is out of the right. AT first i was so bad at locking down healer but got better later on.

Originally posted by Kingkhann

And there are big chances that same might happen to Tera in west if we take hints from Korea. I wonder what would you say then.

That only happen in Korea because the game launched unfinished. It launched with lvl 50 cap, and with its westernized lvling speed people capped in 2 week and only had 1 dungeon to run. Ofc ironic one of the thing that hurt Tera in korea is the lack of grind fest for exp which Korean's love but we hate. We are getting a complete game with 1 year of pretty much beta testing from Korea so i think we are good.

It will be part 2 of the patch that was just launched in Korea last week,  no word yet on when it will drop.   For EU & NA I would expect to see this content later in the year (maybe 3 months after it drops in Korea).

Part 1 went live last week, we don't even have the patch notes for part 2 yet.

Originally posted by sketchy_

PvE servers got battlegrounds (not avalible yet), deathmatches, duels and guild wars I think.

If you like pvp you should definitly roll on a pvp server. So much fun :) Who cares if you get ganked now and then.

As of now there is no GvG on PvE server, however because people want it EME have consider adding consensal pvp in there. Which means if you declare guild war on some one they must agree to it, unlike PvP server where they don't have a choice.

Well Tera is quest/grind based. Both are possible and around same lvling speed. Whats good is Tera's repeat are stackable. so quest requires 5 BAM you can kill 50 BAM and it in 10 times, so ya you can grind your heart out than turn in repeat when your done for even more exp =D End game wise in PvE its all about 5 man dungeon which i like, personally not really a raid person. I rather take 5 man content that are challenging. You have access to hard mode in end game dungeon as well.

the 4 way Server war is not yet in Korea, the first queen of argon part 1 patch came live last week for Korea which added in a 20 man raid thing and lvl cap to 60, queen of argon part 2 will include the 4 way server war. I won't worry about waiting too long for it, it seem Blue hole and EME is making it so Korea and NA/EU will be on the same page or VERY close. Because we are launching with lvl 60 cap which is the update they just got, so that means we pretty much be on equal footing.

One of the reason beta is so drawm out is probably because they waiting for the 2 queen of argon patches so we might be lucky and launch with the part 2 patch as well or at least we get it after 1-2 month of launch ^_^

Wow amazing information.  Thanks for this you really cleared a ton of stuff up.  Looking forward to the coming beta weekends and launch!  I will be Lancering it up I am sure.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Wow amazing information.  Thanks for this you really cleared a ton of stuff up.  Looking forward to the coming beta weekends and launch!  I will be Lancering it up I am sure.

lol =P do make sure you know your pin, as a lancer blocking too much won't do you any good because blocking and getting hit while blocked takes away mp. If you only block during bosses your going to run out of mp but before that your probably run out of agrro. Doing the lvl 26 dungeon before getting 27 gear was nightmare lol, basically full mp bar disappears in about 20s with the boss hitting me Q_Q (and there is like 4) after 27 gear it gets lot more manageble but still you got to pay attention .Tera really takes tanking to a whole new lvl, its not just spam aggro skill any more. Its about mp managment, holding aggro, and manually blocking, also interupting boss with your chain skill. Makes tanking sooo fun that you never EVER want to tank in other mmorpg again lol. And get pratice on your twitch blocking coz your going to need it, bosses attack are randomly set so its lot of reflex there =P

some tips for pvp, in group wise lancer job is to basically fuck with EVERYONE. Don't aim for kill because our dps is low, our job is just to pretty much get in everyone's way, and golden rule in group pvp is pretty much go after lancer last so unless they are total nubs and go after you first pretty much no one would focus you till you team is dead XD The person you be annoying the most is enemy healer, use shield barrage combo and leash to constantly pressure healer so they can't heal. Don't charge at them coz you miss a over shoot a lot. Also one key thing is to learn to block lock on skill, when you see red word flashing some one has lock on your block, because last thing you want is for healer to put you to sleep allowing them heal freely. Seriously with a healer freely healing its nearly damn impossible to kill anyone.

1v1 wise just don't die lol you probabaly end up out lasting all the dps classes because of block and self heal. Healers wise they are pretty squishy even to lancers.

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113

There is also collision detection, so a group of lancers can literally gaurd their squishies.  They have a chain pull (like death grip).

TBH, every class has a role and is legitimate in pvp, so you can play whatever you like doing most.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have never liked tanking in any game but lancers seriously draw me in, they are pretty OP, and blocking with them just makes you feel like a beast.

Even healing looks fun...I looked at the players rather than the green lines on the side of my screen for the first time in any MMO while healing, pretty awesome.

Regardless I will be maining a dps class, the slayer, because they are just so good for all around gameplay imo. I love the feel of the class and they are great in both PvE and PvP.