Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought I was done with EQ in my life...

ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

played EQ from 1999-2004... i thought it had run its course in my veins. but now im back trying EQ2 !!

gonna play the FTP until i'm secure in the fact that EQ2 offers the same thrill and sense of adventure and guild comraderie that EQ1 did.  i did some research but i still have some newbie questions - so if you wouldnt mind guiding this old vet's boat to shore, thanks.

INTERFACE

1. can you get rid of that ultra intrusive and immersion killing gray arrow that appears over target heads? i cant seem to find how to. please please please tell me i can...

2. is there a way to Target Nearest Enemy? i see theres a Target NEarest NPC... but of course thats much different.

3. is there a way to not autofollow your target? like if i am fleeing, i do not want my character to swivel around towards the mob that is trying to devour me. canceling target is a little awkward for me and i dont always want to lose site of the mobs health anyways.

4. does EQ2 support any interface addons? just cosmetic things and such. i dont want any DBM (WoW) mods that trivialize the game but i'd love to just clean up the UI and make it as minimal as possible.

GAMEPLAY

1. I hear conflicting opinions that EQ is now really overly solo friendly and such. is there still a healthy amount of grouping even at lower levels? does each class contribute viable and important skills to the success of a fight? are the classes interdependant or do skills just stack and mostly become redundant? are debuffs important still>? i.e. are hybrid support classes still imporant? is CC a necessity? i thought EQ1 was a bit overly dependent on CC but i love still needing it to some degree.

2. I made a Barbarian Beserker. and i read that the FTP is limited to "adept" spell tiers. what exactly does that mean and will that cripple me?

SERVER

1. I started on AB cuz i love occassional RP. i hear its a healthy server pop there. is there also PVP on this server? and i read that its top heavy with vets and low-mid level groups are nonexistent.. true? i would LOVE to find a static group to dungeon crawl and explore.

OK! i know thats alot of questions. and i really thank anyone who replies with any amount of feedback you offer. my name is Droctulft on AB server so if anyone wants to play an alt or start new with me, whisper me! errr can FTP's send and receive whispers?

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the game is down for maintenance/update as I type this but briefly

Interface 1-3  yes but will give more info later when i can log into game

4 varies  http://www.eq2interface.com/

I only use eq2maps but drums and profitui are popular

Gameplay

EQ2 has more in common with WOW than EQ, its very solo friendly

Grouping can happen on the more popular servers (read: AB and Freeport)

but alot of the gameplay is solo until you reach 90

Playing as bronze is very restricting but for leveling purposes adept tiers are fine

I'm a gold member and I only use adepts while leveling

I recommend paying a one time fee of 5.00 so you can be silver

Silver accts can use world chat and buy off the broker

Server

Nagafen is the PVP server

as already mentioned,  AB and Freeport have the heaviest server populations

Freeport is the least top heavy of all servers because its less than 2 years old

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

re: Adept tier spells

Whenever you get a new spell or ability, it defaults to the Apprentice tier. Raising the level of the spell/ability makes it more effective. In addition to crafting and drops, spells can be upgraded by a spell researcher after level 20. The higher the spell, the more research time is required (I'm talking days per spell after level 40).

Apprentice (default)

Journeyman (crafted)

Adept (dropped)

Expert (Mastercrafted)

Master (dropped)

Grandmaster

Originally posted by Reehay

INTERFACE

1. can you get rid of that ultra intrusive and immersion killing gray arrow that appears over target heads? i cant seem to find how to. please please please tell me i can...

2. is there a way to Target Nearest Enemy? i see theres a Target NEarest NPC... but of course thats much different.

3. is there a way to not autofollow your target? like if i am fleeing, i do not want my character to swivel around towards the mob that is trying to devour me. canceling target is a little awkward for me and i dont always want to lose site of the mobs health anyways.

1. arrows

Options > User Interface  (make sure Advanced button is clicked) > Target Arrow   --- change whatever

2. Target nearest enemy

Options > Controls  >  Targetting keys

Seems I was wrong about this one ... OOPS

3. not autofollow target

Options > Controls > View Options  -- you may have one of the "auto face" features turned on

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

thanks so much for your help. kinda odd there is no targest nearest enemy hotkey but im dealing with it.. you were right about EQ2 being very solo friendly as unfortunately i havent been able to find any groups yet.. but im still only 12 and having fun. really hope i dont out level some of the dungeons like Blackburrow before i can group for it... and for some reason i think the FTP wont let you move your experience slider away from 50/50.... odd.

wish i could speak in OCC and try to find a party to group with or maybe a guild.

really hope i dont out level some of the dungeons like Blackburrow before i can group for it... and for some reason i think the FTP wont let you move your experience slider away from 50/50.... odd.

wish i could speak in OCC and try to find a party to group with or maybe a guild.

you can use the dungeon finder at level 20

DF has it own issues of being a poor tool, it can work sometimes

only gold members can move the AA slider

at level 20, you can "self mentor" down to lower levels like 15 or 10 w a crono npc at any city

its kind of like level locking - you temporarily lower your effective level

• Matt_UKMatt_UK Member Posts: 420

played EQ from 1999-2004... i thought it had run its course in my veins. but now im back trying EQ2 !!

gonna play the FTP until i'm secure in the fact that EQ2 offers the same thrill and sense of adventure and guild comraderie that EQ1 did.  i did some research but i still have some newbie questions - so if you wouldnt mind guiding this old vet's boat to shore, thanks.

INTERFACE

4. does EQ2 support any interface addons? just cosmetic things and such. i dont want any DBM (WoW) mods that trivialize the game but i'd love to just clean up the UI and make it as minimal as possible.

GAMEPLAY

1. I hear conflicting opinions that EQ is now really overly solo friendly and such. is there still a healthy amount of grouping even at lower levels? does each class contribute viable and important skills to the success of a fight? are the classes interdependant or do skills just stack and mostly become redundant? are debuffs important still>? i.e. are hybrid support classes still imporant? is CC a necessity? i thought EQ1 was a bit overly dependent on CC but i love still needing it to some degree.

2. I made a Barbarian Beserker. and i read that the FTP is limited to "adept" spell tiers. what exactly does that mean and will that cripple me?

SERVER

1. I started on AB cuz i love occassional RP. i hear its a healthy server pop there. is there also PVP on this server? and i read that its top heavy with vets and low-mid level groups are nonexistent.. true? i would LOVE to find a static group to dungeon crawl and explore.

OK! i know thats alot of questions. and i really thank anyone who replies with any amount of feedback you offer. my name is Droctulft on AB server so if anyone wants to play an alt or start new with me, whisper me! errr can FTP's send and receive whispers?

EQ and EQII treat mobs and npcs the same, target nearest npc will target nearest enemy, or npc, whoever is closest.