Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life as a Salvager

ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I have a few different games going right now, but am still thinking about Eve. Specifically i'm thinking about Salvage. I kind of like the idea of lurking about, scanning down wrecks to salvage, grabbing the goods and making a quick get away. (I'm sure it probably does not work that way)

Is this something that can be rewarding/fun? Are salvagers of any use to a Corp or are they mostly solo/small Corp folk? 

Thanks

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
--
o·pin·ion –noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Comments

• xnipsxxnipsx Member Posts: 5

Okay so for salvaging theres something you need to keep in mind.

Tech 1 ships are basic entry level ships, require little skills to fly and are worth jack.

Tech 2 are more advanced, require a lot of skills to use and are more specialized and expensive.

The wrecks you'd be wanting to salvage are tech 2 for the big money, if you're just starting out you'll probably be salvaging the t1 varients and usually from rats. Not to say its worthless, but the money isnt all that great.

You're going to have a hard life if thats all you want to do to make money. You're gonna need to do missions until you're feet are wet then join a corp and decide if you want to go into industry, mining, pvp, 0.0 combat, piracy.. etc

-- Also the skills for salvaging are low, so even a noob can have them day one. Plus you need ship wrecks in the first place... so you need to kill them ... lol its a vicious cycle.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

ninja salvager is a very good  way to go

can make a lot of isk very quickly  and takes only a few skill points  to be ok and not too many more to be really good at it

with a  week  of training you would be  ok at it and a month of training  your going to be really good 

you will then make more isk in the first mission you find than it costs you to set up 

there have  been stories of ninja earning more than 700+million isk a month  with a month old character and buying plex

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Indeed, as Zimboy said, ninja salvaging can be very lucrative.

Life as a salvager per-se is often very chance based. You'll get a few big hits, and then you'll get null the rest of the month. It requires a certain mindset (in my opinion, anyway).

Also, being a ninja salvager is normally a secondary income. You can do ninja salvaging, and then some can flipping/stealing (in the same vein, basically), which can turn into highsec pvp. Or you'll do ninja salvaging, and exploration (there's that other thread on these boards about "Life as an Explorer", look in there).

In any case, it can be done with pretty low skills (well, the pvp side is kinda different story, but I won't start that discussion here).

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Thanks for the input everyone, it has been helpful for me.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

One other option to consider, if you tack Exploration onto this and push yourself into either Nullsec or wormhole space, you can find sites that give you very valuable loot from salvaging or hacking. The tricky part is getting it back safely to a decent Hisec market to sell it for a profit; I've lost millions to a nullsec gate bubble camp that literally sprang up out of nowhere in less than five minutes from the time I flew through that system previously.

Where's the any key?

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Great thing about eve; there's no wrong way to play. There's always better ways to make more ISK/hour, but if it's fun to you, keep doing it :]. 

<3 eve.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

What me and my friend did was to scan up battleships in combat in systems where level 4s are common and then ninjasalvage their wrecks with something as simple as a destroyer. If you find drops the person who ran the mission left that are worth a some nice ISK you can always take it if he already jumped away, usually a good bonus.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yes, Salvaging is a great career path for a new player.

and it should afford you plenty of ISK to be able to run around low-sec or even 0.0 salvaging wrecks from peoples battles.

Originally posted by Kuro1n

What me and my friend did was to scan up battleships in combat in systems where level 4s are common and then ninjasalvage their wrecks with something as simple as a destroyer. If you find drops the person who ran the mission left that are worth a some nice ISK you can always take it if he already jumped away, usually a good bonus.

Aye.

I've been on both sides of this. Whenever I do missions and someone comes in to ninjasalvage, I just blue the wrecks.

There's also a corp (Pro Synergy is their name) I used on a sporadic basis which is focused on salvaging. You put up the bookmark on contracts to 'em, and they'll pay you some amount of isk based on what they got from salvaging the sites. :D

I'm willing to bet there are more corps like this.

Edit:

Pro Synergy's public channel is "Pro Synergy", so you can go in and hear about it yourself.

Here's their website, as well: https://sites.google.com/site/prospersynergy/

-Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by kattehus

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Aye.

I've been on both sides of this. Whenever I do missions and someone comes in to ninjasalvage, I just blue the wrecks.

There's also a corp (Pro Synergy is their name) I used on a sporadic basis which is focused on salvaging. You put up the bookmark on contracts to 'em, and they'll pay you some amount of isk based on what they got from salvaging the sites. :D

I'm willing to bet there are more corps like this.

wow thats actually pretty cool. ; o

Ima check that out because im just about to start doing lv 4 missions myself as I just got my t2 Large pulse lasers trained. :D

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Ninja salvaging is really hit or miss.  It is fun though.  Stay in level 4 mission systems and scan down battleships.  Expept many tears and hate mails.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Key thing to note about ninja salvaging hisec L4's: When you're going for a wreck that you didn't make (i.e. you didn't blow up that ship), tractor beams do not work. If someone can burn through a site quickly and then come back immediately in a high-level Noctis, which at max skills can tractor in multiple wrecks at 2km a second from up to 80km away, you're going to have a real race on your hands to get anything good, even if you sit right on top of the Noctis itself; it also has bonuses to its salvager cycle rate and success ratio.

Probably good reasons why the Noctis was so damn popular when it was first introduced.

Where's the any key?

Actually, one other thing I just thought of: if you like salvaging a good place to look at is Incursions. From what I know, people doing the incursions are trying to burn through the sites as fast as possible and don't give two shits about the wrecks. Don't go into a site with them while they're fighting the Sansha NPCs as those do random targeting and they could go after you, but immediately afterwards you could go in and clean up and most people wouldn't care. Give it a try.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Actually, one other thing I just thought of: if you like salvaging a good place to look at is Incursions. From what I know, people doing the incursions are trying to burn through the sites as fast as possible and don't give two shits about the wrecks. Don't go into a site with them while they're fighting the Sansha NPCs as those do random targeting and they could go after you, but immediately afterwards you could go in and clean up and most people wouldn't care. Give it a try.

I would advise against this. First thing is that incursionists don't kill everything in every site.

Besides this, the wrecks have crappy salvage (and there's nothing dropped in the wreck, so you'll only get the salvage)

And then there the fact that you can lock up a site like that (it despawns from overview, but not from the system itself - and a system can at most have so and so many sites up).

-Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I would advise against this. First thing is that incursionists don't kill everything in every site.

Besides this, the wrecks have crappy salvage (and there's nothing dropped in the wreck, so you'll only get the salvage)

And then there the fact that you can lock up a site like that (it despawns from overview, but not from the system itself - and a system can at most have so and so many sites up).

^ This

Telling someone to salvage Incursion sites is the worst advice I've heard in a long, long time. Clearly you've never salvaged/looted those wrecks yourself.

Now... if you really want to made sh**loads of ISK salvaging in a short period of time and aren't risk-adverse... there is one way to go about it. Well, its not for everyone but salvaging/looting grids after fleet battles is the fastest way to make crazy amounts of ISK in a short period of time. Lots of fights happen right off gates and there are tons of T2 ships getting popped everyday. It's also a good way to get killed, but I don't play EVE to hide in high-sec behind the safety of Concord. Still, you are better off joining a null-sec group and having an alt salvage than going solo to do this.

Originally posted by Wycliffe

^ This

Telling someone to salvage Incursion sites is the worst advice I've heard in a long, long time. Clearly you've never salvaged/looted those wrecks yourself.

Now... if you really want to made sh**loads of ISK salvaging in a short period of time and aren't risk-adverse... there is one way to go about it. Well, its not for everyone but salvaging/looting grids after fleet battles is the fastest way to make crazy amounts of ISK in a short period of time. Lots of fights happen right off gates and there are tons of T2 ships getting popped everyday. It's also a good way to get killed, but I don't play EVE to hide in high-sec behind the safety of Concord. Still, you are better off joining a null-sec group and having an alt salvage than going solo to do this.

Actually, I have tried doing pure salvaging from Incursion sites. Didn't have any real difficulties with it. Yes, there's no loot, but the salvage is still worth something especially if you focus on the Battleship wrecks.

Where's the any key?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Wycliffe

^ This

It can be good ISK but like you said, it is very risky.  Speaking from the perspective of a pilot involved in the small to medium gang fights, we do watch for ninja salvagers.  You can probably get away with it if the battle is really large because the list of ships is too long for the overview.  You also may get away with it if you're in low sec and the people fighting are afraid to lose their sec status.  Pirates will pop you without heisitation though.

Good to see pilots being daring.  I hope it pays off for you.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

scavenging alone is kind of usless. best thing to do is run missions, where you kill npcs and then you can loot them and salvage the wrecks. you can make some very decent money that way.

if you dont want to run missions, then just ratting and salvaging can make ok money.

salvaging all by it'self would mean spending lots of time probing and when you do find wrecks you can salvage it's nothing really special. it really isn't profitable even with very high skills.

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

scavenging alone is kind of usless. best thing to do is run missions, where you kill npcs and then you can loot them and salvage the wrecks. you can make some very decent money that way.

Why to do boring missions by yourself when you can probe down a mission runner doing them and salvage his/her wrecks _and_ steall all the nice meta 4's? : )

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

if you dont want to run missions, then just ratting and salvaging can make ok money.

salvaging all by it'self would mean spending lots of time probing and when you do find wrecks you can salvage it's nothing really special. it really isn't profitable even with very high skills.

It can be in Nullsec; you can sometimes find unguarded sites with tech II salvage. Again, the trick is getting it safely to Hisec to sell.

Where's the any key?

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I've heard ninja salvaging can be a lucrative business, but I know very little about it. I live in nullsec and that kind of stuff simply doesn't take place there since people can just blow you up.

I hear it can be a fun time doing that in highsec though.