Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long til being a crafter pays off?

lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

I have always been a "play the market" kind of guy, so naturally I am wondering how tough it would be to get into crafting in EVE. I realize it would probably take quite a while, if ever, to craft the best of the best items, but being in the top 10% of crafters would be great.

I've played EVE before a few times, but never really got past running level 3 missions and have less than 20mil sp on that mission running character.

So any opinions on this? Is it a worthy pursuit after all these years?

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Comments

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

Being a crafter can be a very rewarding profession. It really depends on what you skill into. For example people that can create titans and motherships are very very coveted pilots. These pilots live in nullsec with large alliances and create said ships for extremely good profit. You can solo build these in low-sec but it can be very dangerous. Many a supercarrier have been destroyed by "Mom Abortion fleets" They take a long time to build and if the POS is destroyed that they are being built in.. you lose everything.

Another form of crafting can be the production of rigs or ship hulls, even ammo or guns. If you want to stay in highsec  and produce things Id really recomend you train to use either a freighter or a jump freighter. Jump frieghters can be bothersome to use unless you have an alt that can light cynosural fields but they allow you to travel great distances quickly and buy minerals at lower costs. below market minerals yield greater profit etc.

Jump freighters and freighters are great because you can get into the trading industry as well, such as buying cheaper ship hulls minerals or rigs and moving them somewhere that they sell for higher. Its a lucrative buisness but can be hard to get into.

Hope this has given you some insight into crafting. Definitely let me know if you need any help. Saint Hecate in game :)

Best wishes

Saint

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Thanks for the reply Saint. So basically, you can't craft the better stuff in high-sec?

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• zunstreezunstree Member UncommonPosts: 129

Not as long as you would think.

Getting crafting skills for you want to max is suggested, but you can make a profit even without doing that. Not easy though, the market prices for items can vary alot from region to region, so i would say is to calculate how much a few different items would cost you to make (i use excel for this) and then to keep track of what market prices tend to be. If you dont mine much, keep a tab on mineral prices in different regions as well, they tend to go up and down alot over the course of a month or two.

Otherwise, your goal skillwise should be first getting Production Efficiency up, as that reduces min costs for production.

• zunstreezunstree Member UncommonPosts: 129

Originally posted by lilreap2k3

Thanks for the reply Saint. So basically, you can't craft the better stuff in high-sec?

The majority of stuff can be made in hi-sec, the exception are capitals and some items that require a PoS built. As it is i make tons off just sitting hi-sec most of the time :)

• EulampiosEulampios Member Posts: 48

Twistingfate:

Granted, I haven't played EVE online for a very long time, but are you sure you can build supercapitals on lowsec now? Back in the day you needed sovereignty on the system, so it was only possible on claimed 0.0 space.

lilreap2k3:

Above thing said, supercapital builders almost never make profit. The vast majority build them for their alliance free of charge. There are some crafting-aimed mega corps that build titans on requests, but most combat focused alliances build their own.

Crafting in general is very bad. There is a tiny amount of profit from T1 modules and ships, to the poin that sometimes salvaging a ship is more profitable than selling it. Ammo has some potential for profit, but you have to be ready to compete with people that have full skilled characters and max researched BPOs.

T2 crafting used to be almost impossible for the vast majority of the poppulation, as they had neither the BPO nor easy access to rare x64 moons. They did add that invention thingie, but I can't comment on it, as I haven't tried it.

All in all, try it, but don't have your expectations high. There are people with 120+ million skill points and 100's of billions in assets that only play EVE online as crafters.

It's hard to compete with them.

----------------
    We don't need a king of MMOs, we need a group of Titans so that everyone can play what suits them best.
    -Ascension08

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Crafting in Eve is a lot more difficult and skill intensive then other aspects of the game. As it was said before there are many who been at it for years, and will often sell at prices below the level you would profit from just to drive you out. That being said there are ways you can turn a profit.

You said that you are a 'play the market' kind of guy, this also means move stuff around as a trader? You be surpized what the simple act of moving items accross regions can do in terms of profit.

If you are willing to submit to PVP getting out of highsec, and into nullsec the amount you can profit from trading, would increase. If you craft you have a chance being one of those players who support PVP operations of an out-of-way region, which is always needed.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

As the commenter above me stated, I think you would find great joy in becoming a freighter pilot and moving things from one place to another. Prices can vary very greatly from one place to another. especially race based ships. For example minmatar ships can be sold for a decent profit in gallente space because they are crafted a lot less out there. I did a bit of research and I seemed to be mistaken. You do need to have Sovereignty in the space you wish to build super caps and titans. I have heard of some builders being able to rent and build titans etc to sell but this could be heresay. As somebody said above, a large majority of things Can be created in highsec. Good money can be made but it can also be very expensive as well and slow going. Gaining the skills, gathering the isk to purchase blue print copies and then eventually buying blue print originals. It takes a long time to become established but EVE is definitely a world of possibilities. If you work at it, you can do it. 

Nullsec trading can be highly profitable. In the alliance I was in recently we had massive orders for certain ships because they were commonly used you could sell them for massive profits. I had a friend with 3 jump freighters that would basicly run the market in our home system. He would have hundreds of market orders up and easily made many many billions of isk. This all required good skills and a large amount of base money to work with but it was possible :)

Best wishes

Saint

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So many misleading replies and ill assumptions....

As with anything in EVE, SP means more options and better efficiency. You won't necessarily make more ISK just because you have more SP.

In fact, all you really need is wit to find market opportunity and exploit it. That is all what manufacturing and business is about and that's something I am afraid not many people will help you with as everyone is after profit and you represent a potential or actual unnecessary competition.

• EulampiosEulampios Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Gdemami

As with anything in EVE, SP means more options and better efficiency. You won't necessarily make more ISK just because you have more SP.

Can you take some time and explain how being able to add  more sale orders, modify them remotely, crafting and researching  items faster, plaing fewer taxis and more do not earn you more ISK?

T1 market is on the point where people craft for profits of about 5k per unit of rifter.

This "SP don't matter myth" is getting old. Yes, I fly my frigate more efficient than a 100m veteran, as my PvP character has about 20 million skillpoints, all aimed on firgate hulls.

Too bad said veteran will never fly in a frigate, as he can do almost identical things in a battlecruiser. 

----------------
    We don't need a king of MMOs, we need a group of Titans so that everyone can play what suits them best.
    -Ascension08

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by EulampiosCan you take some time and explain how being able to add  more sale orders, modify them remotely, crafting and researching  items faster, plaing fewer taxis and more do not earn you more ISK?
    T1 market is on the point where people craft for profits of about 5k per unit of rifter.

This "SP don't matter myth" is getting old. Yes, I fly my frigate more efficient than a 100m veteran, as my PvP character has about 20 million skillpoints, all aimed on firgate hulls.
    Too bad said veteran will never fly in a frigate, as he can do almost identical things in a battlecruiser. 

I agree, it is getting old and it will be getting old as long as there are people who believe that they can do almost identical things in a battlecruiser.

It is no myth either. I have posted a 1 day old character who made 1 billion ISK within a few hours since account creation, so you tell me how much SP matters?

As I said before, it is all about finding and exploiting opportunity and with that, no character skill points can help you with.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Eulampios

Can you take some time and explain how being able to add  more sale orders, modify them remotely, crafting and researching  items faster, plaing fewer taxis and more do not earn you more ISK?

It sounds like you are under the impression that one has to trade and craft the highest level items, and that the person with the highest skills 'wins' at trading. After all, who will buy your "Rusted Mace of Mediocrity" when the capped crafter is selling a "Big Purple ePeen of Vanquishing"? 

While this may be true of most MMOs, in EVE, you only need to craft/trade that which is in reasonable demand in a particular region to make bank on the market. Every player has the same amount of access to the historical data for every item in every market. What you do with that information is what determines success.

The rest of your post is all regularly regurgitated talking points that, no matter how many times they are debunked, people still repeat them as if saying it over and over will eventually make it true.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Loktofeit

It sounds like you are under the impression that one has to trade and craft the highest level items, and that the person with the highest skills 'wins' at trading. After all, who will buy your "Rusted Mace of Mediocrity" when the capped crafter is selling a "Big Purple ePeen of Vanquishing"? 

While this may be true of most MMOs, in EVE, you only need to craft/trade that which is in reasonable demand in a particular region to make bank on the market. Every player has the same amount of access to the historical data for every item in every market. What you do with that information is what determines success.

The rest of your post is all regularly regurgitated talking points that, no matter how many times they are debunked, people still repeat them as if saying it over and over will eventually make it true.

But I don't want to do any additional work for what isk I can grub so the markets should all be one connected market - just like any other mmorpg!

If my toon gets a bad public rep I'll just reroll another toon and grind him up in a week just like in all the other MMORPGs.  Trust shouldn't be a commodity in a social video game and anybody that breaks trust should be dealt with by the game company just like in all the other MMOs!

It's not fair that after getting 20 million SP in frigates I can only fly frigates!  What EvE needs is a class system where player pick a class (like combat ships) and grind towards the end ship that can do everything all the other ships can do but better just like any other MMORPG!

It's too bad CCP doesn't listen to people like me because we'd like to play eve online because a lot of us are tired of the standard MMORPGs.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by SlaverHound

But I don't want to do any additional work for what isk I can grub so the markets should all be one connected market - just like any other mmorpg!

If my toon gets a bad public rep I'll just reroll another toon and grind him up in a week just like in all the other MMORPGs.  Trust shouldn't be a commodity in a social video game and anybody that breaks trust should be dealt with by the game company just like in all the other MMOs!

It's not fair that after getting 20 million SP in frigates I can only fly frigates!  What EvE needs is a class system where player pick a class (like combat ships) and grind towards the end ship that can do everything all the other ships can do but better just like any other MMORPG!

It's too bad CCP doesn't listen to people like me because we'd like to play eve online because a lot of us are tired of the standard MMORPGs.

Holy shit!  You just suggested an Eve NGE.  Please stay far away from Eve for the benefit of all who play it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by dave6660

Holy shit!  You just suggested an Eve NGE.  Please stay far away from Eve for the benefit of all who play it.

Methinks your sarcasm detector is broken image

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

*shakes fist at MMORPG.com*  Damn you, where is your +1 feature?!!?!

Well said SH.  

*tips hat*

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Minsc

Originally posted by dave6660

Methinks your sarcasm detector is broken image

LOL... you're right.  I only skimmed the posts when I made that reply.  I should've paid more attention before I replied.  I apologize to SlaveHound for my remark.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville