Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am surprised how outdated the game looks ?!

Comments

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I started to get burnt out too at the time Aion came out. And now I decided to try it, since I like having a good overview over all mmorpgs. And its not exactly pretty, I was surprised to see how bad it has aged. Better graphics than rift? Sorry I cannot agree, and its not even in the same league. Although I find rift kinda dull, colorless and bleak.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by korent1991

I think you didn't set your graphic settings right... I think it looks good...

link1

link2

link3

edit: I don't have maxed out settings...

Yes, it looks exactly as these screenshots you posted.

I am playing TERA beta - link for comparison

My PC has no problem running the game at max settings and it looks like that.

And Aion is not that old game, it should really not look that bad.

Well then I have to say that you are in luck, Aion looks better than those screen shots. Those shots are not on maxiumum settings.

I have no current shots but these were taken on during Beta on a computer that is lesser than my current one.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Everket

I started to get burnt out too at the time Aion came out. And now I decided to try it, since I like having a good overview over all mmorpgs. And its not exactly pretty, I was surprised to see how bad it has aged. Better graphics than rift? Sorry I cannot agree, and its not even in the same league. Although I find rift kinda dull, colorless and bleak.

Rift has small maps & towns with quest turn-ins on stupid heights or  inaccessible places compared to Aion, I'm not talking about graphical resolution, overall Aion has far more views to take in and enjoy.

Yes it has mounts but the Aion fly and glide is far more fun -  it's far from outdated imo.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Age hasnt been kind to it.

Much like anything in AIon character models are still superb background textures are all locale dependent.

Santilus desert on the high engine and maxed you wouldnt even think it was Aion yet the starter zones still look like crap with background textures that are terribad.

Back in AIon though till I waste money to not play GW2 and TSW last hope is archeage.

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

So I was happy to try it now that is F2P

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

But I just could not play it , it really hurts my eyes

I tried Aion with my own settings and the game was not hurting my eyes.

But when I made it auto detect settings and then restarted the game, it did hurt my eyes.

I am using a Alienware personalized gaming laptop -- "Alienware M11x" variant.

I played Aion till level 33 and I found the game is suffering from lack of population and post 30 the game is too complicated or may be too grindy to continue. The Abyss part of the game is weird. That part of the game really turned me off post level 25. 

I will check back in when F2P 3.0 launches but with so many F2P options upcoming , this game falls at the bottom of my priority list.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

I actually hopped in the game, having been gone since i left a month after launch.

The game looked god aweful...

Then i started tweaking the graphics, used the high detail engine, found the advance button hidden in the settings...adding the bloom and fancy effects made a big diffrence.

Aion is a game in typical eastern graphic theory, imo.  It favors blurring godrays and graphical effects over teture quality and detail.  Turning all the effects on and it looks good, see those textures for what they are and its downright ugly.

With that said....lol anyone remember back in 2009 when this game was going to "dethrone the king" and usher in a new era of eastern style games appealing to western markets?  They are down to 3 servers 4 right now but two are getting merged in a few days.

I rolled on israphel, and its quite populated, but i has a distinct F2P crowd flooding in.  I would call israphel the unofficial international server now.

Game still has the same issues it had when i left, terrible faction balancing.  Havent tried the frot seiges yet since my p2p account mysteriously doesnt exist.  My assumptions are that a gold farmer got a hold of it years ago and got it banned spamming with it.  Stuff i expect from a game like this so not a big deal.  Grinding does seem reduced, however its a double xp weekend.

Going to be interesting to see the game nosedive further when all the pvpers flock to Gw2.

One thing that i remember from launch, thats still true now...why do they make these type of games where everything is such a pain in the ass....travling, questing, crafting, pvp ....its all designed to have pointless time sinks.  Also brings back memories of the terrible execution of flight in the game.  Forgot flight is turned off on pve maps, im assuming to increase the travel timesink.

Oh and the client still crashes...ahh the memories.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Sorry Lobo...I usually side with you on your posts, but I can't agree with you on this one. I think Aion is one of the best looking MMO's to date.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Amazing how bad these games look after playing Battlefield 3 on ultra for months .

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

last time i tried AIon was around 8/10 months ago while i was waiting on swtor and nc gave me some free time to come back

i totally agree with the op, i played beta and bought the collectors and played for 3 months at launch but coming back after a long time away i noticed the game was no where near how good it use to look and looked very old and dated.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

By todays standards the game looks terible. When it released it only looked good, not fantastic, meaning it hasn't aged very well. In fact i'd say it's aged very poorly compared to others around the same time like AoC. Looking at it now it just looks like some generic Asian game from years ago, which i guess it is anyway.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Aion was one of the rare MMOs i didnt play in beta nor bought on launch (i guess my disillusion with MMOs started back than)

Now as far as I remember the game was hyped for its beautyful graphic , but i log in - crank everything to maximum and the game looks AWFUL.

Either there is some huge problem with my PC and this specific game , or i dont know what.

link1

link2

link3

WOW, that looks absolutely attrocious. You call that GOOD? I'm sorry, but speaking from personal experience (having tried literally everything) that looks absolutely disgusting. It's like something from 2004.

Seriously, why do people think this looks good?! I don't understand!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

link1

link2

link3

WOW, that looks absolutely attrocious. You call that GOOD? I'm sorry, but speaking from personal experience (having tried literally everything) that looks absolutely disgusting. It's like something from 2004.

Seriously, why do people think this looks good?! I don't understand!

Most of the time my judgment on graphics is linked with the overal feeling which graphics, animations and textures combined give... 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Forgot the name (asmodians?) anyways the evil guys starter area is quite greyish in graphic speaking, other then that i have always thought it was beautifull.

Did you look at the bloom effect? there are 4 choises to be made and i thought the default one was HORRIBLE.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by k1klass

last time i tried AIon was around 8/10 months ago while i was waiting on swtor and nc gave me some free time to come back

i totally agree with the op, i played beta and bought the collectors and played for 3 months at launch but coming back after a long time away i noticed the game was no where near how good it use to look and looked very old and dated.

You missed quite a few graphic updates if the last time you played it is 8/10 months ago.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

This Game looks amazing, it should look like this (graphics oh high most advanced settings are off.) Character detail is the best i have ever seen it, you can zoom to the finset detail on players and weapons etc.

(Scroll to the side!)

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The game (the UI) actually looks clean compared to most other MMO's, at least the UI doesn't take up half the screen and annoy me after a while like some of the other games do. As for character detail, it's actually right up there near the top.

OP needs glasses or a better PC.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I'd agree with the OP.  I downloaded this game yesterday to try out the free-to-play but found it so ugly.  I remember it looking nice back when I first played it a long while ago now but it hasn't aged well at all. 

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

It looks pretty dated when you compare it to TERA though:

From CBT5 max settings.   If I had a better GPU I'd force AA through the control panel and get rid of the rough edges completely.

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by EvilestTwin

It looks pretty dated when you compare it to TERA though:

From CBT5 max settings.   If I had a better GPU I'd force AA through the control panel and get rid of the rough edges completely.

That terra pic looks awefull!

Thruth is Aion still looks better than 99% of mmorpg's out there.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I feel that the graphics are still very good.  I like that they updated them without charging me $40 and calling it an expansion pack.

• ToS-DrakemorToS-Drakemor Member Posts: 18

thought the graphics were not all that special on release, and now obviously there more then not all that great...

• SamonjdSamonjd Member Posts: 1

I still think it looks awesome, it's not as great as Tera obviously but it's not as outdated as people are saying, at least not to me. Here are a few screenshots of my sorc I took a few days ago. 

http://imgur.com/a/ywwz1

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

Some new screens of 3.0.

The game looks decent when the lighting is just right and you're not in an area with a lot of flat surfaces (need shadows to show off the new lighting engine).    The depth of field blurring is really cool, but I wish there's a way to adjust it so that it's not as strong but it applies without zooming in as much.   

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

comparing these to games is like comparing apple's with oranges ...

Aion looked amazing in 2008 and is still looking rather good right now (as the pic's above me show)