Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some guidance

Got a wild hair and decided to buy the pack on Steam.  Just now installed.  

I remember FFXI used to be very finicky in regards to classes, and how they are subbed to one another.

Even though you could be a Monk/WHM...apparently people would laugh if you attempted to run around as one.

So.  With the game in its current state.  What is/are good jobs to start with? Beginner Sub combos?  I'll be a complete newb in game, no money, no high level toons to help me out.

Thanks.

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by SeriphinX

Got a wild hair and decided to buy the pack on Steam.  Just now installed.  

I remember FFXI used to be very finicky in regards to classes, and how they are subbed to one another.

Even though you could be a Monk/WHM...apparently people would laugh if you attempted to run around as one.

So.  With the game in its current state.  What is/are good jobs to start with? Beginner Sub combos?  I'll be a complete newb in game, no money, no high level toons to help me out.

Thanks.

MNK/WAR, WAR/MNK, WHM/BLM, RDM/BLM. To start, later on MNK/DNC is an amazing solo/dmg/anything class.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I'd advise you try to find someone willing to take you under their wing. Getting the subjob items, or being able to do some of the advanced job quests takes a few level advantage, or gil.

There are actually people out there who like to help random noobs. Wish I still played :/.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

If you want to stick to non advanced jobs that people like and need I would go with whm/blm or blm/whm (eventually both lvling is easy as hell now). Whm is superior to rdm now as main healer and is needed for light grellow staggers. Blm is needed for pretty much all the other grellow staggers so people like having them around too if whm isn't your thing. War is another good one that is highly needed but you'll eventually want /nin, /dnc, and maybe even /sam (/dnc is easy and cheap). Warrior can do all the red staggers besides katana and great katana but you will have to skill up all those weapons to at least 270+ for most.

Also since advanced jobs are unlockable at lvl 30 don't let that sway you from picking one as your main. If you played ffxi before you can get to lvl 30 the first day or two easily. Just lvl to 10-15 like you would have done before and then go to gusgen mines and you'll hit 30 before you know it. Plus that gets you the hard to get subjob item and you can go get the other 2 in valkurm by yourself.