Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is this site EXTREMELY cluttered...

AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

Maybe I'm old (39 to be exact), but when I come onto this site, two things happen.  First, my machine slows down....this site takes far too long to "get around" in.  Second, its hard to find anything because there is so many things "popping" out at me...there is simply too much going on.  Its hard to navigate when there is so much happening....anyway...just my thoughts.

I love the site by the way, or I wouldn't bother saying anything.

Comments

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Yeah, this site is a freaking mess. Brings me back to the days of the internet in 1995.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Using AddBlockPlus addon in Chrome/Fox helps to get rid of most of the commercials, which are the main reason for sluggishness. I've seen sometimes 10mb exceeding Flash commercials ehh... I dont mind adds, especially MMO adds, but seriously.

But yeah, the frontpage really needs an overhaul.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I agree.  There are a lot of things that are completely unnecessary on the front page.  Things like the humor section, the blog section and columnist sections, the videos and screenshots sections,  the RTSguru features section, Unboundgamer headlines, FPSguru section, all of the blog sections, and all of the MMORPG.com statistics on their main banner.  It really does clog up the whole website.  A lot of these sections could be easily accessable through the links below the main banner.  All of those sister sites can have banners for them, but cluttering up the MMORPG site with other site news and such seems like it's not really needed.

I like the new MMO sections, as well as the in development area with game listings.  I like the forum activity and polls.  I like the main stories and features, as well as the news, and obviously the ads for MMO's and the follow on twitter and facebook graphics.

I really think the website needs simplified.  I never really thought about it until you mentioned it.  It could use a fresh look. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

this is one of the more organized sites i visit. wether or not that makes it cluttered is up for debate.

I've got the straight edge.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I totally understand where you are coming from.

This is what i use

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/realtime/

That's bookmarked on my desktop, so when i want to check out the site, i click the icon, and it just brings up the recent forum activity, and i just hit refresh from there. Don't have to look at all the fat of the site like this. Hope it helps ya, or they change it for us, but i doubt it. We complained a whoooole lot about the NSFW advertisements too awhile back, didn't help. So i just work with what i do have.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I highly recommend installing an extension called Do Not Track Plus. It does excactly what you'd expected and stops site from tracking you, which is a large part of the slowness you're experiencing.

Better warn you though, seeing which sites are tracking you and how many different companies are mining your data really is quite shocking!

http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by darwa

I highly recommend installing an extension called Do Not Track Plus. It does excactly what you'd expected and stops site from tracking you, which is a large part of the slowness you're experiencing.

Better warn you though, seeing which sites are tracking you and how many different companies are mining your data really is quite shocking!

....so,...they know EVERY site i've been to?  /blush 

I've got the straight edge.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Have you tried a different browser? Chrome or Opera (the latest, last one had a bug).

To speed things up I am blocking some of the more boring adds again (Opera have a good function for that).

I have no problem with the speed myself.

• girdisordergirdisorder Member UncommonPosts: 45

MMORPG.COM; now for old people with big letters!

Yeah... In all seriousness, there is a lot of redundancy and advertising. Like they're catering to people with A.D.D. or something *coughmecough*. Maybe they could use with a little remodel. :)

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

haha...have you ever seen a Korean website? Here is a the most normal of all Korean websites.

http://www.naver.com/

To me, it's cluttered, but it's absolutely minimalist here in Korea...LOL

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by darwa

....so,...they know EVERY site i've been to?  /blush 

also your yearly income, age, gender, location and more.

• AlastiAlasti Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Toxia

This is what i use

That's bookmarked on my desktop, so when i want to check out the site, i click the icon, and it just brings up the recent forum activity, and i just hit refresh from there. Don't have to look at all the fat of the site like this. Hope it helps ya, or they change it for us, but i doubt it. We complained a whoooole lot about the NSFW advertisements too awhile back, didn't help. So i just work with what i do have.

Great Idea, I'm gonna try this!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree with the OP. This website is one of the slowest websites that I visit. They try to cram too much different things on the bloated frontpage.

I dont like that the frontpage loads the sister websites headlines and all those blog sections. Those things already have their section in the top menu. Besides I dont visit mmorpg.com for rtsguru.com headlines ><

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by Eluwien

Using AddBlockPlus addon in Chrome/Fox helps to get rid of most of the commercials, which are the main reason for sluggishness. I've seen sometimes 10mb exceeding Flash commercials ehh... I dont mind adds, especially MMO adds, but seriously.

But yeah, the frontpage really needs an overhaul.

This!

Using this program will change your browsing experience.

It's the ads that slow most sites down. Give it a try.

• barbarian567barbarian567 Member Posts: 6

I have no problem loading and navigating the site. Maybe some of us just need new OS and web browser. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Toxia

This is what i use

Great tip...thanks!

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

I like this way better then masssively.  On MMORPG.com I can see if there is anything new I want to know about with a glance, but on messively I have dig just find out what has been posted in the last couple of days. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Alasti

Maybe I'm old (39 to be exact), but when I come onto this site, two things happen.  First, my machine slows down....this site takes far too long to "get around" in.  Second, its hard to find anything because there is so many things "popping" out at me...there is simply too much going on.  Its hard to navigate when there is so much happening....anyway...just my thoughts.

I love the site by the way, or I wouldn't bother saying anything.

make sure sewer trolls arent chewing your dsl cable. No, not rats... those prefer cheese. image

now seriously, yeah the website sometimes gets funky.. I sometimes have to switch from mozilla to chrome to IE due to any of them not loading properly.

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Signed, been around this website for 6 years now and I've always hated how cluttered the entire site has always felt. Not very streamlined and way too clunky and cluttered with massive advertisements and way too much going on on the screen.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We're working on some things for 2012! Stay tuned!

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by MikeB

We're working on some things for 2012! Stay tuned!

Site is generally informative and good turn-over of items/relevance.

But as mentioned, the organization of game list and categorization of such and other measures people might wish to find to structure what they are after, there is a wealth of possibilities for that I don't doubt. ^_^

• lappaslappas Member Posts: 67

Hi all

Have to agree with the OP. The overall appearance on the site is 'very' busy and spacing sections out a little might help. A longer main page would be great, less strain on my eyes :)

I also think that the 'Current Forum Activity' section is too short. 5 x threads is not enough and I'm a lazy 'surfer' so I hate having to search through the site for a good write up.

What about a feature section for excellent threads regardless of category? It may inspire people to create and write constructive and well researched threads.  Good writers have an element of ego so get them working for you :)

Cheers

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Please do not necro threads. :) We have some major stuff coming for the site, hopefully you'll all be happy with what we've got in store!
This discussion has been closed.