Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this an MMO?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

NEver knew they where going to make it an MMO, allways tought that D3 would be a single player RPG, with an addon online mode.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Isn't that what it is?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

No it's not an MMO.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

NEver knew they where going to make it an MMO, allways tought that D3 would be a single player RPG, with an addon online mode.

Post 3206. Check

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

No its not an MMO, but lately it would seem many sites consider any game with online multiplayer to be an MMO.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Khrymson

No its not an MMO, but lately it would seem many sites consider any game with online multiplayer to be an MMO.

VERY annoying. Same with those free online first person shooters which even gaming sites keep calling MMOFPS.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

They should get ther facts straight...... there is MMORPG's and then there is the rest of the online world.  Without an open world where people can roam freely, its not an MMO, SWTOR was on the edge of being an MMO, seems D3 just is no MMO after all.

So why did they decide to give Diablo 3 its own forums on MMORPG.com?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

They should get ther facts straight...... there is MMORPG's and then there is the rest of the online world.  Without an open world where people can roam freely, its not an MMO, SWTOR was on the edge of being an MMO, seems D3 just is no MMO after all.

Because it's a RPG and they think it is/will become a very popular game. So more visitors to the site.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Who cares?

It looks like a good game and one with all the features i would like .. so i will be playing and prob discussing it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    And yet a while ago this site asked us, the posters, a question, should MMORPG.com also cover non MMO games, the answer was overwhelmingly, No.
  • KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

You are not talking about World of Tanks are you? One of the greatest free to play MMORPG's out there currently!

The main things I love about that game is the huge open world and all the roleplaying aspects of it, other MMORPG devs should play WoT a bit to learn how these games are being made damn it!

Someone please put these sites back in line... Just because Nintendo decides to announce that Super Mario is actually a MMORPG does not mean it should be put in the games list of this site and start filling the MMORPG news feed with Super Mario related stuff. Sure thousands of people play the game at the same time and it has multiplayer but, come on...

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Lets see.

Mindless meaningless gameplay..Check.

Cash shop..... Check

Removal of all features that take more than a second grade education to figure out..Check.

Yep smells like a typical 2012 POS MMO.

• freizofreizo Member UncommonPosts: 17

Originally posted by 69Cuda

Lets see.

Mindless meaningless gameplay..Check.

Cash shop..... Check

Removal of all features that take more than a second grade education to figure out..Check.

Yep smells like a typical 2012 POS MMO.

Haters gonna hate.

Stay away from this forum hateboi without a beta key.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

It's frigging Diablo 3. The time, money and care went in this title should be enough to alert people that they should at least TRY IT OUT before offering a bunch of ridiculous criticism.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

You are well aware that Diablo 3 is not an MMO but you just wanted to moan about why Diablo 3 is on these boards. This was the reason you were making this thread all along. Why is DDO on this website? It's not an MMO. It's instanced, there's no open world. Why is Guild Wars 1 on these boards?  I am pretty sure there are other instanced games which are listed on these boards.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

No, next?

Then again, if you took all of the words in MMORPG and applied it to Diablo 3... it would fit.

Massive.. persistence?  Check

Mutiplayer.. lot's of players? Check

Online.. it's online right?  Check

Role.. character classes?  Check

Playing.. we play it right?  Check

Game.. it's a game?  Check

Yeah I know.  We've had this argument in many other threads.  We don't consider it a MMO, let alone a MMORPG, but MMORPG.com deems the game big enough to mention it and create a forum page for it. 

It is what it is.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by RefMinor

And yet a while ago this site asked us, the posters, a question, should MMORPG.com also cover non MMO games, the answer was overwhelmingly, No.

This.

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Eluwien

This.

awww, too bad i missed that.

i would have voted, yes.

how exactly does it hurt a video game site to widen the genres it covers? or is it more a matter of insult, because the site dares to talk about something that isn't an MMO, and this somehow offends you? (must have a very sheltered life. silver spoon and such)

recently, they have also talked about TES5 and KoA. these must be troubling times for you guys.......

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Originally posted by Zairu

This.

i would have voted, yes.

how exactly does it hurt a video game site to widen the genres it covers? or is it more a matter of insult, because the site dares to talk about something that isn't an MMO, and this somehow offends you? (must have a very sheltered life. silver spoon and such)

recently, they have also talked about TES5 and KoA. these must be troubling times for you guys.......

Cause I go to ign or gamespot for that. I want a dedicated mmo site with a community of mmo players, not console gamers to make mo even worse then they are now. Haven't you people done enough, now you want to take over the sites as well.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by snoop101

This.

i would have voted, yes.

Cause I go to ign or gamespot for that. I want a dedicated mmo site with a community of mmo players, not console gamers to make mo even worse then they are now. Haven't you people done enough, now you want to take over the sites as well.

So much anger....it's probably time to step away from the gaming sites. Reality check: The site makes revenue from visitors, more visitors the more money they can make from selling ad space and what not. If you want a site dedicated to mmos, and only mmos, go make your own.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

if Diablo 3 is an mmo then so is call of duty. I think blizzard would have been better off making a diablo mmo considering the amount of time they have spent on developement.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Kaneth

This.

i would have voted, yes.

So much anger....it's probably time to step away from the gaming sites. Reality check: The site makes revenue from visitors, more visitors the more money they can make from selling ad space and what not. If you want a site dedicated to mmos, and only mmos, go make your own.

it's like going to a movie site dedicated to indie films and seeing transformers on the front page.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

This.

i would have voted, yes.

i don't own a console, or even a television for that matter.

it isn't always about you.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

No no and no! It is an action rpg like it always has been for the past 10+ years.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by DAS1337

No, next?

Then again, if you took all of the words in MMORPG and applied it to Diablo 3... it would fit.

Massive.. persistence?  Check

Mutiplayer.. lot's of players? Check

Online.. it's online right?  Check

Role.. character classes?  Check

Playing.. we play it right?  Check

Game.. it's a game?  Check

Yeah I know.  We've had this argument in many other threads.  We don't consider it a MMO, let alone a MMORPG, but MMORPG.com deems the game big enough to mention it and create a forum page for it. 

It is what it is.

You would be correct if MMORPG stood for Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. However, that's not what the acronym stands for. It is Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Massively multiplayer is when a game can accommodate a huge number of players simultaneously wihich is quite different to what Diablo 3 offers. Is Diablo 3 massive? Yes. Is it multiplayer? Yes. Is it massively multiplayer? No.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

If D3 is an MMO, then GW1 is too.