Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was I too hard on SWTOR?

Comments

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

You weren't too hard on SWTOR, you're just being too easy on TERA. :)

It's your run-of-the-mill "theme park" with an emphasis on a different combat system.

In comparison, SWTOR is your run-of-the-mill "theme park" with an emphasis on story.

I played SWTOR to level 50 and quit; the combat was boring but the story surprisingly kept me going. In TERA, I'm really pushing myself to play on in the 20s, because the narrative is not there and the combat has gotten repetitive.

TERA does look pretty, but even that is mostly surface and not much detail. Actually I'd say SWTOR has more detail in some places. Consider the ground foliage; TERA has very little of it (hence the plastic ground effect) whereas SWTOR has plenty.

But on the bugs front, I'd agree. TERA looks quite polish on that front, whereas SWTOR had some nasty bugs in its first month.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by solarine

You weren't too hard on SWTOR, you're just being too easy on TERA. :)

It's your run-of-the-mill "theme park" with an emphasis on a different combat system.

In comparison, SWTOR is your run-of-the-mill "theme park" with an emphasis on story.

I played SWTOR to level 50 and quit; the combat was boring but the story surprisingly kept me going. In TERA, I'm really pushing myself to play on in the 20s, because the narrative is not there and the combat has gotten repetitive.

TERA does look pretty, but even that is mostly surface and not much detail. Actually I'd say SWTOR has more detail in some places. Consider the ground foliage; TERA has very little of it (hence the plastic ground effect) whereas SWTOR has plenty.

But on the bugs front, I'd agree. TERA looks quite polish on that front, whereas SWTOR had some nasty nasty bugs in its first month.

i agree people being too easy on TERA.. I'm very dissapointed in TOR and even though TERA has much better graphics(in my opinion) I still feel TOR is a better game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Honestly outside of combat gameplay and graphics nothing stands out at all to me about TERA. Can't say that game overall interests me in the least.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I should point out that this thread wasn't supposed to be a SWTOR vs TERA.

TERA is very pretty, runs great on my computer and is seemingly bug free, much like my experience in RIFT.

I don't actually see myself buying TERA, I was simply comparing the two with regards to polish because a lot of people seem to think you need a game to be out for 7 years before polish can be achieved. That is simply not the case.

• Meerkat93Meerkat93 Member Posts: 61

Originally posted by jacklo

TERA is very pretty, runs great on my computer and is seemingly bug free, much like my experience in RIFT.

I don't actually see myself buying TERA, I was simply comparing the two with regards to polish because a lot of people seem to think you need a game to be out for 7 years before polish can be achieved. That is simply not the case.

Tera has been out in Korea for about a year IIRC.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Originally posted by Worstluck

*snip*

I don't know if you were too hard on the game as I haven't read your previous posts, but it's ok to be upset with how that game turned out imo.  I started watching that game in 2008, have been a life long Star Wars fan since I saw Return of the Jedi in the theaters in 1983 (Which was the FIRST movie I ever saw in a theater, I was very young, but remember it like it was yeseterday), played every Star Wars video game pretty much...and I even quit after a month.  It was a rather disappointing game for as well.

The Empire Strikes back was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre (beat EPi 6 by a mile IMO), but I never bought into the TOR hype. I never felt like the whole light side - dark side thing fit particularly well in a 2 faction WoW straightjacket. In Q&A/presentation sessions I also just saw too many people that sounded like salesmen that didn't believe in their own product. I still think not buying the title was the right decision for an old SW enthousiast.

I have you beat, i was there for the first  movie, but you hit the nail on the head. Star Wars is just to big and indepth to have a mmo set up the way Bioware did it. It's needs an open galaxy so to speak. Smugglers should be able to smuggle and choose who to smuggle for just like bounty hunters should be able to hunt  for whoever has the most credit. Lightsided jedi should be able to fall to the darkside and switch sides, just as sith should find the light and switch as well. Players should be able to create and have out of combat tools and systems to be able to sell, entertain and do many other things to actually make the planets come alive.  TOR could have been so much more, but Bioware chose to dwell in mediocrity.

Originally posted by musicmann

*snip*

I don't know if you were too hard on the game as I haven't read your previous posts, but it's ok to be upset with how that game turned out imo.  I started watching that game in 2008, have been a life long Star Wars fan since I saw Return of the Jedi in the theaters in 1983 (Which was the FIRST movie I ever saw in a theater, I was very young, but remember it like it was yeseterday), played every Star Wars video game pretty much...and I even quit after a month.  It was a rather disappointing game for as well.

The Empire Strikes back was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre (beat EPi 6 by a mile IMO), but I never bought into the TOR hype. I never felt like the whole light side - dark side thing fit particularly well in a 2 faction WoW straightjacket. In Q&A/presentation sessions I also just saw too many people that sounded like salesmen that didn't believe in their own product. I still think not buying the title was the right decision for an old SW enthousiast.

I have you beat, i was there for the first  movie, but you hit the nail on the head. Star Wars is just to big and indepth to have a mmo set up the way Bioware did it. It's needs an open galaxy so to speak. Smugglers should be able to smuggle and choose who to smuggle for just like bounty hunters should be able to hunt  for whoever has the most credit. Lightsided jedi should be able to fall to the darkside and switch sides, just as sith should find the light and switch as well. Players should be able to create and have out of combat tools and systems to be able to sell, entertain and do many other things to actually make the planets come alive.  TOR could have been so much more, but Bioware chose to dwell in mediocrity.

I was also there for the first movie :)

In it's time, it was ground breaking, something a younger audience wouldn't appreciate in these days of CGI.

This game doesn't feel like Star Wars at all in my opinion. This IP is worth so much more.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by musicmann

*snip*

I was also there for the first movie :)

In it's time, it was ground breaking, something a younger audience wouldn't appreciate in these days of CGI.

This game doesn't feel like Star Wars at all in my opinion. This IP is worth so much more.

and this is why so many people are getting so crazy over how this game turned out.. if it was just another no name IP like tabula rasa I'm sure it would of dissapeared into nothingness just as that game did.

I have wanted to play a game like musicman described since online gaming first started and now we are in the age were it's very possible and the technology is there yet this is all bioware could come up with... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

I love reading peoples responses to SWTOR being a great game because it launched with so much. Or the famous WoW didn't have bg's tactic. Lol it is 2012 dumbies, all mmo's have to meet a certain criteria. The year is no longer 2004, 2008 or w/e reference point you want to use in mmo launching. There are now certain things gamers should expect because the technology we have can support it. Spending 300 mil on an mmo and not having an endgame would be seriously bad. SWTOR did have endgame and bgs yes thats right. They were just riddle with bugs/exploits. That is why people complain and make fun of it as being a steaming pile of poo.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I must admit... When I first heard the word "healing" in relation to SWTOR, my heart sank a bit. Because let's face it: the standard fantasy theme park MMO paradigm makes no sense with Star Wars. 

Bounty Hunters healing? Come on. Bounty Hunters not freely bounty hunting and smugglers not freely smuggling? Come on.

They should have taken Star Wars and forged new MMO mechanics out of it. Not try to fit it into the standard mold!

Really, Bioware. You were supposed to destroy the sh*t, not join them! :)

Originally posted by solarine

I must admit... When I first heard the word "healing" in relation to SWTOR, my heart sank a bit. Because let's face it: the standard fantasy theme park MMO paradigm makes no sense with Star Wars. 

Bounty Hunters healing? Come on. Bounty Hunters not freely bounty hunting and smugglers not freely smuggling? Come on.

They should have taken Star Wars and forged new MMO mechanics out of it. Not try to fit it into the standard mold!

Really, Bioware. You were supposed to destroy the sh*t, not join them! :)

So true!

After you finish the class quests at 50, my bounty hunter may as well be a trooper or agent.

The continuation ends at level 50 for all classes, just when you should be forging your own legacy.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Meerkat93

Tera has been out in Korea for about a year IIRC.

So?   LOTRO had more polish on release.   DDO had more polish on release.   Rift had more polish on release.    Many games, made for one-eighth the money SWTOR was made for had more polish.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

When I think of the crap-fest that is SWTOR, I think on Fallen Earth. They had some of the best, cleverest quest writing I'd seen in years. But they only $15 million.... What could they have done with $250 million? I just wonder what they could of done with more than a shoestring. Because as buggy as that game was, and it was buggy on release, it was better. Sure, it didn't have the shiney-penny of fully-voice acted quests. Or lightsabers. But it was a truly social MMO and had some outstanding writing. Far and away better than any single quest-line I played in SWTOR. I played from just a few weeks after release until the 1.4/1.5 patch when Icarcus effectively went belly-up and the game hit life support.

In FE, I was routinely surprised by the stories. By the quality of the dialog. How they used twists and choices that actually mattered (and the choices really did matter, you tick off a faction and you were shoot-on-sight and they could easily kill you) and kept you involved. And the guild involvement was required. Too much in that game depended on controling resources, towns, etc. And, as a member of Exile, we controlled...

I can count on one finger the number of times I was surprised and enganged in a quest -- the Smuggler gateway quest for Tattooine acccess. When I confronted the woman and her battery died... I had a 'that was good' moment. And I need no fingers to count all the choices that mattered in SWTOR, because they didn't.

One, in the entire game. The entire month I played. In the 8 class-stories I played. ONE good moment. One surprise. In a sea of predictable, often forced, mediocrity.

Originally posted by MosesZD

So?   LOTRO had more polish on release.   DDO had more polish on release.   Rift had more polish on release.    Many games, made for one-eighth the money SWTOR was made for had more polish.

I'll agree to Rift and LotR but DDO sure didn't. That game was a mess at release. I almost didn't get into LotR because of it. Still, your overall point is true. Although frankly far as bugs go I didn't think SWTOR was bad at all. Now in other areas...

Yeah, major issues. Although I don't particularly feel like getting into it again.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Laughing-man

obligatory TERA has been out for a year in Korea and has had a year to be polished past its release post.

That is because Koreans beta test the hell out of a game and seem to find an report everything. Same thing when we got Aion it was pretty bug free which was amazing. I just think the Koreans know what they are doing and perhaps they take thier beta testing seriously and NA does not. Everytime we get a NA game like SWTOR it is buggy and I really wonder why that it. There is something to be said about Koreans and games though. I think they do an exceptional job bug reporting so when we get the game in NA it is in solid shape.

I just wish the NA companys would follow in the steps of thier korean counterparts. Maybe it is because gaming is a huge way of life in Korea. Props to them though. Even the Ktera release was in good shape. Heck Korean MMO's that get released are still in better shape than Age of Conan. That is by far the buggiest game I have seen. I can only imagine how bad TSW will be.

Now OP were you too hard on SWTOR? I do not think so. It was a great leveling experience even though  NPC's vendors were disorganized as hell. As like you I don't miss the boring voice acting story lines or quest lines for your character. They should have spent thier money more wisely. Look at Ilum they broke that pretty much every patch and now I think they are scrapping the planet altogether. I was excited for Ilum but all it was were both sides either AOE Valor trading or one side camping the other at the base or a taxi point. Once I got all my 50 gear I simply stopped logging in. I won't lie I figured while TERA was still in beta I would play it every 2 weeks and when 1.2 is launched go try to play SWTOR for at least a month in hopes it gets us to the TERA launch. After Playing TERA no way though. SWTOR looked promising but in the end it fell short at least for me and my friends.

Regardless of my opinions there are people who like star wars and will stick with it and i am happy for them. I knew going in I was a huge pvp'r and that it wasn't going to be my cup of tea. The PVP system all around was lacking. No valor in the open world except for ilum. I don't care for Warzones but you had to if you wanted to get commendations. For a PVE game I think it is great though as I loved  leveling up.

I am a little drunk atm and yammering on lol have a good one guys!

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I've made a lot of posts about SWTOR over the last couple of months. Pretty much all of them have been negative and as such I have been labelled a "hater" by some.

So with the experience of SWTOR beta weekends and 2 months of gameplay behind me, I started playing the TERA beta.

I've got up to level 12 as an archer on TERA and in some ways it's very similar to SWTOR with regards to linear questing. I did enjoy levelling up in SWTOR and I'm enjoying TERA in the same way.

Do I miss the voiceovers? Not at all but that's a personal opinion.

The difference playing TERA over SWTOR is quite simply the polish at this point in time.

I have yet to come across a single bug. Yes it's early days, but SWTOR was full of them, not only in beta but also 2 months into release.

Other than bugs, the game plays very nicely on my computer at full graphics settings, which are arguably far superior to the graphics in SWTOR where it was barely playable at the lowest settings.

TERA appears to have the polish I admired in RIFT and on that basis I say "No, I wasn't too hard on SWTOR".

Polish CAN be achieved in an MMO and there's no excuse for releasing poorly coded and poorly performing games to us anymore.

The message we need to be sending out to game publishers now is that they need to try harder or suffer the wrath of disgruntled customers.

TERA is fun ROCK on BROTHER...

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by Khole

TItle of post is rather confusing.

Tera's leveing is in no way better than swtor. In swtor i could stand to level to 50. In Tera the quests become so redundant you want to stop playing after you hit 20.

I didn't just play in beta either i've been playing korean months before beta even came out.

In SWTOR I was only really interested in about 15% of the quest and a lot of those let me down. I remember Tattoine being cool, Hoth was somewhat interesting, Voss was the best and my main storylines were somewhat good.

Yeah, I just like to push past and get to the end then play that part of the game. I feel anxiety when I am not leveled high. It's like being undergound and having a mountain on top of you.

As I will be spending hopefully 99% of my time in an MMO post leveling, it is the combat and endgame stuff I care about. TERA has the best combat so far, so I am psyched for it.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• games72games72 Member Posts: 31

I somehow don't think we would have complained so hard about a lot of the bugs if other functions were implemented or worked.  For example

- no guild bank and not able to add offline friends annoys me

- then I get the bug where my companion wants to talk to me but the icon disappears when I get to my ship (patch notes have said this is fixed but guess what? not fixed for me.  First two companions haven't given me a cutscene since I met them).

- then I decide to go quest, get 20 minutes into my big green doored instance on a big class quest, get disconnected for no reason, log back in to find myself outside the green door. 

At this point none of this is technically "game breaking" but my frustration level is high and I'm just not having fun.  I end up saying screw it I'm going to logout for now and play/do something else.  Right there would actually be the "game breaking."

• MacstezyMacstezy Member Posts: 9

swtor's questing was fun, it is the end game that currently sucks i think.  tera on the other hand i couldent even stand doing the quests, same old sh*t linear  game. with the pvp being broken and favoring people with lag since u cant click on them and everyone choosing tiny characters to have the smallest hit box is lame....    

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Macstezy

swtor's questing was fun,

I disagree... It would have been fun if they cut out all the busy work and just gave us the decent quests. But no, they had to add a shit load of padding to keep you subscribed longer. So not only is it not a good MMO, it's not even a good singleplayer experience.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I always hear about all of these huge game-breaking bugs in SWTOR. I've been playing since beta and, while I have seen some bugs, they have all been very minor and most of them have already been fixed. I have not seen these HUGE game-breaking issues so many people on this forum love to talk about. In fact, pretty much everyone I have played with in SWTOR have had very few complaints in regards to bugs or lack of polish.

This is seriously one of the most polished games I have EVER played at release...

Originally posted by Anubisan

I always hear about all of these huge game-breaking bugs in SWTOR. I've been playing since beta and, while I have seen some bugs, they have all been very minor and most of them have already been fixed. I have not seen these HUGE game-breaking issues so many people on this forum love to talk about. In fact, pretty much everyone I have played with in SWTOR have had very few complaints in regards to bugs or lack of polish.

This is seriously one of the most polished games I have EVER played at release...

Eh, I wouldn't go so far as to say as ever but it was a rather impressive launch far as I was concerned in relation to bugs. It was one of the better ones in that area for sure. I don't really get that argument either.

Although to be fair fom my understanding there were some issues with the class quests for agents, smugglers, and bounty hunters that caused problems. Could be people that were playing those classes that had major issues with the game far as bugs go. I will admit if I was essentially unable to complete my class mission for a couple weeks because of something being bugged there is a good chance I might feel differently about the whole matter.I didn't experience them though first hand so I'm not sure how bad they were actually bugged.

The rest seemed fairly minor to me. Least considering how new the game was from launch status. Outside the abiltity delay issue.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Anubisan

I was forced to restart my Sith Sorc twice at level 1 because of an annoying campaign quest bug that Bioware/EA couldn't fix in 2 months. In WZ's I keep seing exploiters. When I got more then a few people on the screen the game becomes a slide show even though I got a half way decent PC (560TI,8GB RAM, i7-2600 OCed, SSD.) I am glad you didn't run into that crap but yes, all these things exist and i saw them with my own eyes :'(

The only good news with the quest bugs was that it didn't happen again on my third time levelling a sorc. And at level 40 the support showed mercy and swapped names of my old broken char with the new one, so I at least could play with my usual name. Took them two months but I was still happy. Now they just need to add an endgame and I might feel motivated to xp some more.

LFG!
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

I have to say that I didn't experience too many bugs at Swtor's launch - in fact, on the whole, I'd say the game was pretty polished at roll-out. That's not to say I didn't find it horribly over-hyped and over-priced considering how limited, linear and 'small' this AAA game turned out to be.

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by noncley

I have to say that I didn't experience too many bugs at Swtor's launch - in fact, on the whole, I'd say the game was pretty polished at roll-out. That's not to say I didn't find it horribly over-hyped and over-priced considering how limited, linear and 'small' this AAA game turned out to be.

Hmm Hoth a single open  planet in SWTOR same size as all of Rift. Curious what do you consider "not small"?