Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware's delusion revealed

VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

"Massively Multiplayer Online games are built around living, breathing worlds that are always evolving, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is no different. "

This is how the introduction of patch 1.1.5 begins. I have to say I lol'd since the last thing you could say about TOR is that it includes a living breathing world which is always evolving. Is Bioware really so naive that they think their world can be described in this way?

Now I am not a hater, I am subbed to TOR and have been playing it off and on, although I will say I am one of the bitterly disappointed gamers that was expecting so much more than the shallow linear game Bioware served up which is only fun to play for about a month.

Comments

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

You could just say that you don't share in their opinion and shrug it off. Instead you run to the MMORPG.com forums to add one more thread to where no more are needed.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't understand how so many people on this forum can be dissapointed by SW:TOR.

It was clear before release what kind of game this was; a simplified singleplayer game with online elements tacked on. Not a reall mmorpg and not an open world.

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

A MMORPG , is all about, Gain lvl , gathering , evolve, and so on.

its the same as bread

A bread always contain Wheat , Water/milk, a bread is always a bread, you can just flavor it diffrently.

If you are looking for newthinking or something different , you might look for something completley different than a mmo.

You cant take away the basic ingredients for the MMO

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Originally posted by djmtott

You could just say that you don't share in their opinion and shrug it off. Instead you run to the MMORPG.com forums to add one more thread to where no more are needed.

AMEN to that....

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Ztekan

its the same as bread

A bread always contain Wheat , Water/milk, a bread is always a bread, you can just flavor it diffrently.

If you are looking for newthinking or something different , you might look for something completley different than a mmo.

Isn't that exactly what Bioware did?

Taking away the basic ingredient for a mmo?

A living, evolving WORLD.

I mean WOW get's a lot of flack for being to simple and lineair but SW:TOR takes it to the next level.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Last time I checked the point of a forum was to share views and opinions...   It's hardly the OP's fault that many others agree with him and have said these things before.  On the other hand, I suppose you could fault him for creating a new separate thread when it may have been better to add his disatisfied view to the end of an older negative thread...

Either way what does it matter?  Why are you so upset about people expressing their views?

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Tawn47

Either way what does it matter?  Why are you so upset about people expressing their views?

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

^ only that horse thinks it just won the triple crown

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by thekid1

its the same as bread

Isn't that exactly what Bioware did?

Taking away the basic ingredient for a mmo?

A living, evolving WORLD.

I mean WOW get's a lot of flack for being to simple and lineair but SW:TOR takes it to the next level.

A RPG, are all about live your char, that can be done by gain levels from 1 - ***

You gather materials/Gear/Reputation/Comendation/Levels/Freinds/Guild you name it.

Next thing you need are a place to RP in, in this case StarWars Univerese with all its Planets, there you gain levels/gather  and so on.

In wow for the next example,

You gain levels from 1-85/gather/Reputaion/gain Freinds//guilds/Gear and so on.

Now you need somewhere to RP, and there you got Aseroth

others MMORPG are the same,

Gather/so on and so forth/ ****/

And a place to RP.

Thats the concept of a RPG "MMORPG"

RPG comes from Penn and paper game, where the concept was born , and that was in the 80s wich i particepeted in.

If you change these settings of what a RPG are, you dont have a RPG anymore

Than you have Created a new for of style/game/gengre.

MMO just stands for Masivly multiplayer Online, wich emplays you are more than 128 players on the same Shard, more than 128 players counts as MMO, and RPG , is just Role Playing Game.

That said all games like Acherons Call, Ultima Online Wow Everquest 1-2 Starwars Galaxies Star Wars the old Republic Guild Wars , i can make the list long, comes from the same Ingredient wich is RPG, if you are looking for something els you arent looking for a RPG.

and by adding a forth pillar in swtor "Voiceover" still makes it a RPG, no different , it just have more flavor to it, you can put 10 or 100 or eaven 1000 new flavors to A game, its still a RPG

What Bioware did is just a flavor its still the basic like all other MMORPGs out there,

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Pretty much this....damn. 

This entire forum has become "SWTOR Blows!" and "GW2 Cures Cancer!"

Don't get me wrong, I love SWTOR and and excited for GW2...but damn, folks know there *are* other MMOs out there, right?

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Naral

Don't get me wrong, I love SWTOR and and excited for GW2...but damn, folks know there *are* other MMOs out there, right?

But have you played SWTOR?  It really does deserve it...

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by killion81

But have you played SWTOR?  It really does deserve it...

Yeah, and believe it or not, I actually have fun doing so. I don't really care that it gets a beat down, and folks don't like it, as long as I am having fun I will play it. But let me say this....I am a very casual player. As in, I play a lot of alts, and play a handful of hours a week. I have 4 characters in their 20s, and one 44. I know this game has little life at the end, so I am just treating it like a coop game I play with my wife, and its been a good time, so, meh.

That said, I am not going to defend it, I see the brown shining through the finish on this gilded turd, I am just getting tired of these forums being pretty much focused on it.

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

From my PoV, SWTOR is an unmitigated disaster area.  It feels empty and soulless and the PvP is a standing joke.

If this had been any other IP than Star Wars, it would have folded after the first month.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing, Endless debate and bashing,

This is how MMORPG feels these days, it gone beyond people reviewing its now a new game comes out and everyone likes it for a week then starts bashing the hell out of it, will be the same for GW2, and the only reason behind this is that the game isnt 100% what the person wanted.

*dead horse has been beaten get over it*

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yeah, and believe it or not, I actually have fun doing so. I don't really care that it gets a beat down, and folks don't like it, as long as I am having fun I will play it. But let me say this....I am a very casual player. As in, I play a lot of alts, and play a handful of hours a week. I have 4 characters in their 20s, and one 44. I know this game has little life at the end, so I am just treating it like a coop game I play with my wife, and its been a good time, so, meh.

That said, I am not going to defend it, I see the brown shining through the finish on this gilded turd, I am just getting tired of these forums being pretty much focused on it.

I understand your view point. 

But cause it IS basically "coop game" - is one of reason it get so much bad treatment on this (and some other ) forums.

I think you'll have to get used to it or find other forum. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

its the same as bread

Exactly,

Just as videogames are about wandering the labyrints eating dots and escaping from ghosts.

You know, like Pac Man.

If you want something different , perhaps video games are not for you.

...i bet there were people thinking like this in 80s

Thanks god that , we had game companies willing to try and innovate.

Not like Bioware today....

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

its the same as bread

And just like some people think that all MMORPGs are like themeparks, some people think wheat is the only grain you can make bread of...

Originally posted by tom_gore

its the same as bread

And just like some people think that all MMORPGs are like themeparks, some people think wheat is the only grain you can make bread of...

+1 

Newsflash - bread does not have to have wheat and mmorpg does not have to have levels ,etc

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by tom_gore

its the same as bread

Well put sir, way to take a "half baked" analogy and add some relevance to it.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Bunks

Post of the month and we are only two days into it.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by Spaceweed10

From my PoV, SWTOR is an unmitigated disaster area.  It feels empty and soulless and the PvP is a standing joke.

If this had been any other IP than Star Wars, it would have folded after the first month.

True IP "saved" this game, then again I believe that box sales was the goal over subscriptions.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

LIES! 

Just saying. ;)

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I don't love or hate ToR, I chose not to buy it since it didn't appeal to me.What I just can't believe is that there are people that are surprised that other folks are bored of these threads. I think we get that for some of you somehow ToR has wronged you and Bioware is the girlfriend that banged your best friend but aren't even the haters tired of these?

Originally posted by eayes

I don't love or hate ToR, I chose not to buy it since it didn't appeal to me.What I just can't believe is that there are people that are surprised that other folks are bored of these threads. I think we get that for some of you somehow ToR has wronged you and Bioware is the girlfriend that banged your best friend but aren't even the haters tired of these?

Well gamers just have to follow hype less and do more research before they buy box / play&spend in cash shop. 

Just stop supporting in any way those uninspired games once and for all. 

It is same with CoD - how much whine I hear and still many of those ppl still go and buy next CoD. 

Just aaaaaaa fuc..... stop doing it.

Really they should start selling 'hype shields' for some ppl.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Originally posted by Bunks

Post of the month and we are only two days into it.

Yeah, Bunks kind of nailed it.  Bioware is pretty delusional.