Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 vs. The Secret World

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

edit* dbl post sorry
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Clob

These games are sooo different, but...

Having a lot of experience with both Funcom and ANet I have to give the edge to ANet (by far) in the area of competence, understanding of what the players enjoy, quickness in dealing with issues and overall management of their game.  However, Funcom does do certain things well.  I can't complain about their world and combat designs.  Unfortunately that's about where my praise ends for them.  I do actually hope that TSW turns out well for the good of mmo game style.  It's not something I'm interested in but I think a lot of people can probably like this kind of game.

arenanet has put out, 1(?) game.  and a lot of people didnt like it.  so how can you say that arenanet understands what players enjoy?

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by Mannish

Show everything your game has to offer in video so we can see that its in game. ArcheAGe is doing it so why cant Guild Wars 2 do it also?

You can find GW2 videos showing everything in the game except exploration mode dungeons, which apparently TB is going to be releasing tomorrow so...

Originally posted by brody71

Having a lot of experience with both Funcom and ANet I have to give the edge to ANet (by far) in the area of competence, understanding of what the players enjoy, quickness in dealing with issues and overall management of their game.  However, Funcom does do certain things well.  I can't complain about their world and combat designs.  Unfortunately that's about where my praise ends for them.  I do actually hope that TSW turns out well for the good of mmo game style.  It's not something I'm interested in but I think a lot of people can probably like this kind of game.

arenanet has put out, 1(?) game.  and a lot of people didnt like it.  so how can you say that arenanet understands what players enjoy?

Guild Wars series sold over 6 million copies as of 2009.

I bought GW1, but I honestly didn't like GW1 very much. Good thing GW2 is a hell of a lot different than GW1.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Both games look pretty good.  However, I will not get a chance to try TSW.  It is unfortunate, but I just can't bring myself to purchase something that has the EA logo on it anymore.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by BadSpock

Show everything your game has to offer in video so we can see that its acfutally in game. ArcheAGe is doing it so why cant Guild Wars 2 do it also?

Have you watched any Guild Wars 2 videos?

The only thing they haven't shown is the exploration version of dungeons...

I youtube  Guild Wars 2 videos almost everyday and other than the dynamic event / pvp I have not seen anything. Maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

Show everything your game has to offer in video so we can see that its acfutally in game. ArcheAGe is doing it so why cant Guild Wars 2 do it also?

I youtube  Guild Wars 2 videos almost everyday and other than the dynamic event / pvp I have not seen anything. Maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

Crafting, jumping puzzles, character creation, early personal story, world vs world vs world, underwater combat, dynamic events, heart quests, epic dynamic events, story mode dungeons...

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

research first before posting so you will not appear stupid
    ANET has made 3 standalone games and 1 expansion, with frequent content updates in between
    it won major awards and ANET has a reputation of the smoothest game launches ever

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Crafting, jumping puzzles, character creation, early personal story, world vs world vs world, instanced PvE, underwater combat, dynamic events, heart quests, story mode dungeons...

GW2 does sound really cool, almost too good to be true.  I'm making sure I keep my excitement in check though.  It's just a game, it could be amazing, it might not.  Keeping the excitement down, a game has far less potential to disappoint.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by illyana

research first before posting so you will not appear stupid

ANET has made 3 standalone games and 1 expansion, with frequent content updates in between

it won major awards and ANET has a reputation of the smoothest game launches ever

that's why i put a question mark.  thanks for the info.  cheers! :)

I've got the straight edge.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

my problem with The Secret World is i havent seem so much of its gameplay PVE or PVP and it's launching in June
    while GW2 still havent announced launch but we have seen tons of videos and previews abt gameplay
    TSW looks good on paper and a welcome change of athmosphere, but so was SWTOR

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Funcom history -

AO and AoC - terrible launches, never big success, AoC goes F2P.

Anet history -

Sells 3+ million copies of GW1, over a million beta sign ups in 48 hours for GW2.

Hmmmm....

*Edit- Oh wait, according to Anet as of 2009 they sold 6+ million copies of Guild Wars products.. which included expansions.

QFT...

Originally posted by killion81

Crafting, jumping puzzles, character creation, early personal story, world vs world vs world, instanced PvE, underwater combat, dynamic events, heart quests, story mode dungeons...

GW2 does sound really cool, almost too good to be true.  I'm making sure I keep my excitement in check though.  It's just a game, it could be amazing, it might not.  Keeping the excitement down, a game has far less potential to disappoint.

My major concern is that the game looks more fun than it actually is to play.

Let me explain that - from what I have seen in NDA free videos and read from hands-on press stuff, all of the mechanics and systems will work as intended and be polished and relatively bug free at launch.

But will I enjoy those mechanics and systems when I play the game myself?

Looks great on paper, never know until you try.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by ElderRat

ok, but... AoC was very unsuccessful at launch and then... later turned out to be playable. Star Wars Galaxy was good until a certain event.   

Success can be many things.  I think TSW will be the better game but that GW2 will probably sell more boxes,  Funcom + Cash shop will turn many people off.   I see GW2 being very solo-centric, which for me is a turn-off. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am right - hard to tell right now.  But I think you should have specified what you mean by success when you asked which will be more successful - not everyone answering will mean the same thing by success.

HUH ?

Can you elaborate on this more cause i see GW2 as one of the most group oriented game to have come around since the forced grouping of EQ1. The difference here is you "can" solo if you want to.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by illyana

my problem with The Secret World is i havent seem so much of its gameplay PVE or PVP and it's launching in June

while GW2 still havent announced launch but we have seen tons of videos and previews abt gameplay

TSW looks good on paper and a welcome change of athmosphere, but so was SWTOR

Both SWTOR and TSW have "EA" Involved lets not forget this.. Plus Funcom have a really spotty track record... Cant say that those 2 things make me Jump up and down with exitment about TSW..

The game really has to have its players screaming on the forums it is the best game they have ever played to make me Buy TSW.. 

• ComfyChairComfyChair Member Posts: 758

Can't say anything about either, TSW could be amazingly awesome and we just don't know it yet.

If i had to go on a hunch? GW2.

The really sad thing here is that the companies behind TSW, might just be the sole reason its not a success. Most people I know will never play one More FUncom title. Many people also dislike EA.. And with the SWTOR thing.. they might have gotten even more people aginst them.

So TSW can be a great game and still fail, just because people dont trust the developers..

The skill deck system in TSW is interesting, kind of reminds me of UO (my personal "golden era" of MMORPGs)

but like UO I have a feeling that there will be a select few "top builds" everyone goes for.

And you only had like 20 something skills to contend with for balance in UO, not hundreds.

Or it will be like SWG where they "balance" things by creating a revolving door of FOTM builds/professions.

I remember Creature Handler Month, Teras Kasi month, Bio Engineer month, Commando month, and if I recall (it's been soo many years) the first - Rifleman month!

One shot Rifleman mind-shots at launch... from the farthest range in the game with the highest accuracy.

Sure made PvP terrible lol

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Crafting, jumping puzzles, character creation, early personal story, world vs world vs world, underwater combat, dynamic events, heart quests, epic dynamic events, story mode dungeons...

I am only intrested in new stuff. Dont care for stuff thats been done in other mmos. I will look up the epic dynamic events, story mode dungeons and heart quest what ever that is.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by killion81

My major concern is that the game looks more fun than it actually is to play.

Let me explain that - from what I have seen in NDA free videos and read from hands-on press stuff, all of the mechanics and systems will work as intended and be polished and relatively bug free at launch.

But will I enjoy those mechanics and systems when I play the game myself?

Looks great on paper, never know until you try.

Yea I know what you mean Bad, I felt the same way, have I not played GW 2 at beta, I wouldn't really be around at this site posting in it's forums, I'd most likely be very much against it. Funny enough playing it won me over rather than the manifesto and videos, and to add the change from 2010 to 2011 was very drastic and it has a lot of changes(good IMO) from 2011 to 2012 I.E they made Guardians even more enjoyable than they were last year.

Yet it's still good to remain humble and calm, it is good that both these companies are [attempting] something completely different. I played TSW and saw some videos in flesh but yea I still would like to see more gameplay and changes and what nt because I know it was in alpha as well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Having a million subs or making millions in cash doesnt define success. personally i think both these games will be successful. but to be honest, neither of these games have anything to fear from eachother. they target completely different demographics, completely different crowds everything. the only similarity they have is the innovative title above their name. 

i support both of them. i wont play GW2 from lack of interest but i with them both the best of luck.  

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

I am only intrested in new stuff. Dont care for stuff thats been done in other mmos. I will look up the epic dynamic events, story mode dungeons and heart quest what ever that is.

You might want to avoid researching story mode dungeons and heart quests if you want to see new stuff lol I'll be honest.

Two of the least exciting/innovative things in GW2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Having had a look at both
    Both have very simmilar fast paced combat that relies on movement and exploiting state effects
    They feel similar in "open worldness", e.g. they ain't swtor but they ain't swg either

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You might want to avoid researching story mode dungeons and heart quests if you want to see new stuff lol I'll be honest.

Two of the least exciting/innovative things in GW2.

I dunno, you usually do a MMO dungeon several times anyways, here at least it will be a bit different and the dungeons will have some DEs to spice up things as well.

Doing the same dungeon several time might not be super interesting but it is more or less a must in the genre at least for newly made games. There just wont be enough content for you to do a new dungeon every time you log in.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Nimar

Who will be more successful when this two mmos come out?

(And this thread is not put out to start a fight as some people it seems like to happen, but to simple see your opinion on who is your favorite. Just that.)

I don´t think you really should compare 2 different games like this.

I do think GW2 will have more players but TSW have the potential of getting in a rather large sum of money if FC for once wait with the release until the game actually is done.

I can´t choose a favorite until I played both games, preferably for a while. Right now GW2 leads but that might change.