Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest MMO turn offs/turn ons.

Turn off:

When no one talks to each other. For example, queueing up for a dungeon in WoW and going through the entire dungeon without anyone saying a word.

Turn on:

When I realize I've been sitting in the same spot chatting with a random group of people for 45 minutes. For example (and perhaps not the best example), standing at a bank in Runescape talking with your fellow n00bs.

Do you have any turn offs/ turn ons? And no, I do not think Runescape is a better game than World of Warcraft.

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Turn off: Waiting 2 hours to make a raid only to wipe 30 seconds into the first boss.

Turn on: Taking down an epic boss using unconventional methods. One experience I will never forget from WoW is when I decided to take on..Sapphiron..ice dragon in lvl 80 10man raid with 3 other 85 friends. I had grown bored of grinding raids or maybe I was raid locked but on a whim I called out to anyone bored and made this run. While we were obviously vastly overpowered it did not mean were immune to death. Healers run out of mana. One hit kill mechanics still kill the best of us. We had to be aware of each other all the time because we simply couldn't afford to make stupid mistakes like being out of healing range or turning the boss the wrong way. By using the fact the boss did not have an enrage timer (I think?) 3 of us managed to kill it after what felt like 20 minutes of dodging blizzards, avoiding freezing breaths, getting encased in ice and getting the hell out of the way of the aoe of certain doom. Good times.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Turn offs:   Control-freak devs that make glorified single-player games and calling them MMOs.   Games where the whole damn game is set to 'almost challenging' but isn't.   Dialog choices in rail-story MMOs, please you're insulting my intelligence, I know it doesn't matter, why pretend that it does?   

Turn ons:  Opportunity for emergent game play.   Even themeparks, if properly built, allow emergent game-play which can include in game economics or real-world interaction with game-world interaction.      Creative boss fights that require team-work and unique stratagies instead of tank-and-spank or ganking.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Turn offs: Single player questing MMORPGS.  Easily obtain gear, spells and skills.  Classes that are not defined but rather you can switch freely between tank, healer or dps at a minor cost.  Every character has some form of crowd control.  Terrible customer service.

Turn ons:  Group and raid content.  Ability to further develop your character beyond gear and max level.  PvP that does not reward you with gear that is very comparable to high end raid gear.  Raid events that require strategy or planning and for the team to work as a whole.  Downtime: I like knowing that there are consequences for success and failure.  I enjoy not being able to fully regen hp/mana/stamina within a couple of seconds after each fight. 

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

TURN OFF

Questing

BGs

STORY

On RAILS

No RISK

This quoted from Wolfshead explains it best what turns me off in MMOS:

"No longer are MMOs are created with the expectation that anything can happen. Those days are long past. If players were left to forge their own destinies it would result in chaos and conflict which would be unacceptable to the story obsessed new breed of video game designer who insists that every aspect of what a player does should be tightly controlled and scripted. You see, you as a player can’t be trusted.

Instead MMOs have become virtual sausage factories where the spectator-like player sits back and enjoys the ride. Game design has been reduced to process of crafting every moment of the player experience — nothing is left to chance — a philosophy that would make amusement park tycoon Walt Disney proud."

TURN ON

Player driven

Challeging Crafting, and by this I mean you can be a full time crafter you dont need to do anything ells in the game. Like EvE online

Freedom, do go were I want and do what I want when I want, Like EvE online

Challenge

Griefing

Scaming

Outsmarting other players

Fighting other players for something that matters ingame, like resources, grind spots and Teretorial control.

And as CONAN SAYS when asked "what is best in life?, - To crush your enemies, see them driven before your and here the lamentation of their woman....

Other good quotes to live by in sandbox MMOS..

"Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken"

"No Fear! No Pity! NO REMORSE!"

• clbembryclbembry Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Zlayer77

TURN OFF

Questing

BGs

STORY

On RAILS

No RISK

"No longer are MMOs are created with the expectation that anything can happen. Those days are long past. If players were left to forge their own destinies it would result in chaos and conflict which would be unacceptable to the story obsessed new breed of video game designer who insists that every aspect of what a player does should be tightly controlled and scripted. You see, you as a player can’t be trusted.

Instead MMOs have become virtual sausage factories where the spectator-like player sits back and enjoys the ride. Game design has been reduced to process of crafting every moment of the player experience — nothing is left to chance — a philosophy that would make amusement park tycoon Walt Disney proud."

TURN ON

Player driven

Challeging Crafting, and by this I mean you can be a full time crafter you dont need to do anything ells in the game. Like EvE online

Challenge

Griefing

Scaming

Fighting other players for something that matters ingame, like resources, grind spots and Teretorial control.

And as CONAN SAYS when asked "what is best in life?, - To crush your enemies, see them driven before your and here the lamentation of their woman....

So in other words, you don't like themepark mmo's, and you like sandboxes. If so, I agree.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by clbembry

Turn off:

When no one talks to each other. For example, queueing up for a dungeon in WoW and going through the entire dungeon without anyone saying a word.

Turn on:

When I realize I've been sitting in the same spot chatting with a random group of people for 45 minutes. For example (and perhaps not the best example), standing at a bank in Runescape talking with your fellow n00bs.

I'd like to start this reply by asking a simple question : "Would you please marry me?"

Of course I'm kidding, but you pretty much summed up exactly my turn on/turn off in MMORPGs. I've met some of the best people by just standing around and chatting, getting to know other players and eventually grouping up for some activities, regardless of what they were. Joined some of the best guilds I've ever been part of, meeting lots of players with very different point of view but really fun to be around with. Definitively my favorite moments in MMORPGs.

I've said it in an older thread, the main reason why I haven't played MMORPGs in a while (let alone P2P MMORPGs) is that this feeling has simply been completely lost. I simply cannot enjoy MMOs anymore because of this.

Since I don't want to stray too far off topic, I'll add my own turn off/on for the sake of it.

Turn Off :  There's actualyl 2 more here I'll mention.

1: Monsters (AI and Challenge). Monsters in MMORPG have some of the most boring AI in gaming. They simply just stand there as you hit them, other monsters nearby don't even bother to defend their "ally", it's ridiculous. This also affects challenge in MMORPGs, I've rarely found myself playing an MMORPG where I've actually struggled to kill mobs, it makes the task even more boring in the long run.

2:  Player names. I just lose it. Everytime I see a xXxSephirothxXx or Sasuke52 or urmumlikz69 running around, I just want to PK his ass until he quits. I just can't stand it, and it's possibly the only thing that really angers me in MMORPGs. Other things usually just bores me, but this really gets on my nerves. I like to "connect" with my character and/or the world, I don't RP anymore but I've kept doing this for as long as I can remember. Developers put a lot of effort in the story elements or lore, and I really care a lot about that, so those ridiculous name is definitively a killer for me.

Turn On :  Skill-based oriented gameplay/Action-based game. I find it increasingly harder to connect with a character that simply stands still while my enemies wait to die. Constantly moving, having to dodge hits, etc. really makes me enjoy the game more by providing a good amount of challenge and it's a lot easier to connect with a living character. Statues are so last year. 

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by clbembry

Turn off:

Turn on:

I'd like to start this reply by asking a simple question : "Would you please marry me?"

Of course I'm kidding, but you pretty much summed up exactly my turn on/turn off in MMORPGs. I've met some of the best people by just standing around and chatting, getting to know other players and eventually grouping up for some activities, regardless of what they were. Joined some of the best guilds I've ever been part of, meeting lots of players with very different point of view but really fun to be around with. Definitively my favorite moments in MMORPGs.

I've said it in an older thread, the main reason why I haven't played MMORPGs in a while (let alone P2P MMORPGs) is that this feeling has simply been completely lost. I simply cannot enjoy MMOs anymore because of this.

Since I don't want to stray too far off topic, I'll add my own turn off/on for the sake of it.

Turn Off :  There's actualyl 2 more here I'll mention.

1: Monsters (AI and Challenge). Monsters in MMORPG have some of the most boring AI in gaming. They simply just stand there as you hit them, other monsters nearby don't even bother to defend their "ally", it's ridiculous. This also affects challenge in MMORPGs, I've rarely found myself playing an MMORPG where I've actually struggled to kill mobs, it makes the task even more boring in the long run.

2:  Player names. I just lose it. Everytime I see a xXxSephirothxXx or Sasuke52 or urmumlikz69 running around, I just want to PK his ass until he quits. I just can't stand it, and it's possibly the only thing that really angers me in MMORPGs. Other things usually just bores me, but this really gets on my nerves. I like to "connect" with my character and/or the world, I don't RP anymore but I've kept doing this for as long as I can remember. Developers put a lot of effort in the story elements or lore, and I really care a lot about that, so those ridiculous name is definitively a killer for me.

Turn On :  Skill-based oriented gameplay/Action-based game. I find it increasingly harder to connect with a character that simply stands still while my enemies wait to die. Constantly moving, having to dodge hits, etc. really makes me enjoy the game more by providing a good amount of challenge and it's a lot easier to connect with a living character. Statues are so last year. 

As per your turn-off #1  - exactly. Was playing Rift recently - farming trolls and there would be 2 other trolls within at least hearing of the battle between my character and a troll and they would just stand there.  If they had helped I would have died, because they didn't I was able to kill monsters 3 or 4 levels higher than me... 1  at a time.. in a field crowded with them.   I kept laughing at how  easy the game was.   As for #2 that is my biggest turn-off.     Turn-on's... uhm, errr... well.  I guess EVE is the only game where I have had the feeling that doom could descend on me at anytime. I like to mine in EVE and you never know when a well-organized team might come in and sacrifice a ship to kill off your barge.  I love and hate that feeling - which in a crazy way makes it a turn on.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

TURN OFF

Questing

BGs

STORY

On RAILS

No RISK

TURN ON

Player driven

Challenge

Griefing

Scaming

TURN OFF:  over powered gear. and under power geared (balanced is perfect)

raiding with lots of people over scrypted events.

games that have safe zones on pvp servers.

Non full loot games.

instanced pvp (BGs)

LFG auto queueing

macros

Edit : i'll add Leveling sucks

TURN ON: Skill before gear games.

No flying mounts

Not wow.

Big world to explore and fight over the land.

Guild created cities

city seige (warhammer/DOAC/shadowbane)

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Turn OFF

Quest based leveling

Instancing

Dumbed down mechanics

Copying just about anything from WoW

Soloing being more rewarding than grouping

Turn ons - Open world, public dungeons

Game developed with PvP in mind.

Realistic armor.

Social game world

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Turn offs:

Having to grind stupid minor daily quests all the time to maintain something (I'm looking at you, Forsaken World...damn guild hall dailies...)

The incessant supply of WoW-clones with different coats of paint. FFS, make something ORIGINAL!!!

Arrogant player guilds that have rules like "You must be able to raid for 8 hours a day to stay in our guild cause we're leet and you have to do what we say and stuff"...go away.

Brainless NPC AI

Stupidly massive inflation in limited player-run markets: if what you're selling that not-uber-rare item for in your player store is over 1000 times what I would get back from selling it to an NPC store at their set prices, it would take a long time to earn enough money outside of player-to-player trading to afford one of them, and EVERYONE selling that item is selling it at around the same price...seriously, wtf? Greed much?

Arrogant veterans who flaunt the fact that they're veterans and keep calling you a noob, instead of accepting the fact that you're new and helping you learn

Turn ons:

Player or guild/corporation ownable territory (hello Eve Online :) )

A deeply involved resource extraction and crafting system

A full PvP, full loot system in a game that does have "safe" (or at least much safe-r) areas with PvE to help you learn the basic mechanics of the game as well as possibly be a moderately decent source of income and resources

Beautiful graphics

Highly tactical combat

Helpful veteran players

Where's the any key?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

[Mod Edit]

Turn Offs

More emphasis on level than Skill.

Clown suit Syndrome.

cross map Fetch quests.

People constantly asking me to duel them.

Asking Stupid questions (whats the best class)

Turn Ons

more to a game than combat.

Politics (when applicable)

Asthetic only armor.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by ElderRat

Turn-on's... uhm, errr... well.  I guess EVE is the only game where I have had the feeling that doom could descend on me at anytime. I like to mine in EVE and you never know when a well-organized team might come in and sacrifice a ship to kill off your barge.  I love and hate that feeling - which in a crazy way makes it a turn on.

I come from a similar background - FFA PvP Full Loot MMORPGs. I can enjoy themepark games, but "hardcore" (I don't like that word) sandbox is where the real fun is at for me as well. I generally play as Dedicated Crafter, or PK/PKK. The risk factor of losing everything just keeps you on the edge of your seat all the time, it's quite fun.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

TURN OFFS:

unresponsive UI, too many cut scenes, rat maze feel of zones, invisible walls, gear grinds, local chat spammers, etc, etc.

TURN ONS:

female players giggling like they are high.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Turn off:

Crafted gear that doesn't match, and whose stats are so poor you feel shame just considering wearing it.

Turn on:

The team-work and unique strategy that is "tank-and-spank".

1. Where a Defense build Main Tank controls the agro of the Main Target.

2. A Melee DPS who realizes their role is to protect Healers and Range DPS from adds, and not to Tank the Main Target.

3. Range DPS who don't spam AoE's.  Drawing the agro on Every Mob on the map, especially the Crowd Controlled.

4. Playing a Healer who doesn't have to focus on a Melee DPS who thinks they can or should Main Tank, a Range DPS who thinks their dps goes up if they use every skill they have in their rotation, or DPS spec'ed Tanks that die from Paper Cuts.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Turn-on's... uhm, errr... well.  I guess EVE is the only game where I have had the feeling that doom could descend on me at anytime. I like to mine in EVE and you never know when a well-organized team might come in and sacrifice a ship to kill off your barge.  I love and hate that feeling - which in a crazy way makes it a turn on.

I come from a similar background - FFA PvP Full Loot MMORPGs. I can enjoy themepark games, but "hardcore" (I don't like that word) sandbox is where the real fun is at for me as well. I generally play as Dedicated Crafter, or PK/PKK. The risk factor of losing everything just keeps you on the edge of your seat all the time, it's quite fun.

I think I am slowly talking myself into playing EVE again.  I am old and it raises my blood pressure but it really satisfies me more than any other game. It also frustrates me and makes me want to kill people.. drag them screaming out into the night but hey... it is not tame and so many games are.  That's a turn on.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168

TURN OFFS:

Static/Predictable Mobs

Boring/Repetitive Combat

Lack of difficulty/challenge

Repetitive Quests/Objectives

Ultra Linear Gameplay/Lack of Exploration potenial or rewards/Instances...etc.

People playing alone in an MMO!!!???

TURN ONS:

Dynamic Mob Behavior

Dynamic Combat

Challenging Content

Dynamic Quests/Objectives

Rewarded/Encouraged Exploration

Emphasis on Group Gameplay/Coordination through most if not all content

Fleshed-out instanced and open world pvp

Risk/Reward system- Not perma-death or full loot, but somewhere in between that and the joke of penalities we have now

All these things can be compiled into one sentence:  Cooperative and competitive gameplay that is dynamic and challenging, but also fun to play and watch.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I think I am slowly talking myself into playing EVE again.  I am old and it raises my blood pressure but it really satisfies me more than any other game. It also frustrates me and makes me want to kill people.. drag them screaming out into the night but hey... it is not tame and so many games are.  That's a turn on.

EvE is the MMO that REAL MMORPG players go to Retire.. Its like FLORIDA.. dont all the senior citizense go there :).

Sad truth though we will probably be playing EvE online 30 years from now, because there is nothing coming out that appeals to us old vets...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by Randallt3mp

TURN OFFS:

Static/Predictable Mobs

Boring/Repetitive Combat

Lack of difficulty/challenge

Repetitive Quests/Objectives

Ultra Linear Gameplay/Lack of Exploration potenial or rewards/Instances...etc.

People playing alone in an MMO!!!???

TURN ONS:

Dynamic Mob Behavior

Dynamic Combat

Challenging Content

Dynamic Quests/Objectives

Rewarded/Encouraged Exploration

Emphasis on Group Gameplay/Coordination through most if not all content

Fleshed-out instanced and open world pvp

Risk/Reward system- Not perma-death or full loot, but somewhere in between that and the joke of penalities we have now

All these things can be compiled into one sentence:  Cooperative and competitive gameplay that is dynamic and challenging, but also fun to play and watch.

^This, and i'd like to add INSTANCNG as a "Turn-Off".

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Turn off:

Anything with EA's name on it.

Turn on:

Anything that isnt a generic WoW clone cash grab.

• twilliams641twilliams641 Member Posts: 2

HA, Agree...

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Turn off:

Other players

Turn on:

Other players

EvE is the MMO that REAL MMORPG players go to Retire.. Its like FLORIDA.. dont all the senior citizense go there :).

Sad truth though we will probably be playing EvE online 30 years from now, because there is nothing coming out that appeals to us old vets...

if I am playing EVE 30 years from now -  take a picture - I will be 90.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Turn on:

- Classic fantasy with elves, magic, dragons etc

- Can create an unique, stylish, great looking character

- Lots of races and subraces with lots of characterization to choose from, including my beloved Dark Elves

- Large number of balanced, well designed, complex and deep classes to choose from, including all standards

- Good user interface, reactive and fast access

- Huge gameworld with lots of different environments, large realistic viewing distances, graphic quality

- Challenging combat, huge variance in opponents, large array of possible strategies on all classes

- "Easy to learn, hard to master" rulesystem

- Soloing possible but its really tough

- Long, very well done questchains with humor, drama and challenge

- Competitive, meaningful, fair and suspenseful PvP

- Powerful crafting with lots of possibilities what to craft and great questlines

- Guildies that are competent and friendly

- Mentoring (I just love helping newbies)

Turn off:

- "Pay to win" (they lie and call it "Free to Play") (I'm outta here)

- Permanent item decay or any other form of treadmill gaming (I'm outta here)

- First person perspective only and/or manual aiming (Guess what)

- Full looting in PvP (Yeah, right)

- Mindnumbing grinds (faction, crafting level, whatever, they all suck)

- Rush to endgame (what, you arent already maxlevel after playing for 5 minutes ?)

- Game "on rails" (you do A and then B and then C ...)

- Instancing (where is everybody ?), same for too low population (I dont need much but I need SOME)

- Sadistic death penalties (Just kill another 2,000,000 mudcraps, sorry, crabs, and you'll have your xp back. Maybe !)

- Soulbound items (Oh great, for the new character I have to start from zero again)

- PvP without safe zones (Oh fun, a ganking galore)

- Classless (I've yet to see one that doesnt suck)

- Battles that last ages

- Cant create enough characters (yeah I wants lots of different classes and I want to actually play them, too)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Turn offs
    Tupperware pvp
    "dailies"
    Separate pvp / pve stats
    Tiered raid progression
    End game that is sat in a city queueing for stuff
    Walking back and forth for no reason quests
    "you are the one and only special hero that can save the multiverse" plotlines

Turn ons
    Open world
    Siege warfare
    Roaming bosses
    Hidden stuff