Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't SWTOR have social hubs on the planets?

Comments

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Because once you're done with questing on a certain planet and move on there is no reason to ever come back.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Alders

Fleet needs to go, botton line.

Should stick all the instances on Ilum so maybe people would gather there and PVP.

ROFL, they are getting rid of Ilum because it has way too many people on it as it stands now :P

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    If they introduce the mini card game to the Cantina, will you have to stand up to play.

Originally posted by RefMinor

If they introduce the mini card game to the Cantina, will you have to stand up to play.

^^This

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by SanHor

Because once you're done with questing on a certain planet and move on there is no reason to ever come back.

Yeah..I feel they can always have characters go back...like they do on occasion. Maybe to all new areas of the planet. I'm even for adding new large areas to each planet where both factions mix..since it doesnt seem they really want us to mix before level 50 except in WZ and ilum.I'd love them open up existing areas too for other factions to enter regularly but I doubt they'll do that...having designed completely separated areas for each faction's questing purposes.  This on top of new planets in the future. At the least..I hope they make any additional planets more open and to both factions simultaneously.

Having some sort of social activity in the cantinas would be great. Maybe a working mini-game version of the chess game chewie and c3po were playing. Along with the desired Pazaak and other types. They'd be perfect credit dumps with a chance to make some mega credits if you win.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Cause Swtor is linear game with level based progression.

So you don't have any interest into coming back to lvl 20 planet when you're lvl 50?

Linear themeparks don't mix up good with that kind of things and SWG had it good.

Bioware won't add nothing new to planets to go back there and even if they would - what they CAN give there?

Quest or two for lvl 50 to go do in 30 min and never come back again?

Not this kind of game OP I am afraid.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by Dreadblade

Should stick all the instances on Ilum so maybe people would gather there and PVP.

ROFL, they are getting rid of Ilum because it has way too many people on it as it stands now :P

In what universe are there ever too many people on Ilum?  They're getting rid of it because it's terrible. 

What they should be doing is fixing it by getting rid of space stations and encouraging people to go to planets.  Whether it's even possible to have more than 40 people without lag is still a serious concern though.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I was expecting that the planets with the capital city were going to be used as central hub. The fleet station has no character at all.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

In what universe are there ever too many people on Ilum?  They're getting rid of it because it's terrible. 

What they should be doing is fixing it by getting rid of space stations and encouraging people to go to planets.  Whether it's even possible to have more than 40 people without lag is still a serious concern though.

Ilum is only terrible if there is a faction imbalance,

Here on Jedi Covanant its quite fun. Bioware needs to add what Blizz did with TB. Except keep Ilum running 24/7.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Nothing - at all - about this game suggests that social or community features were a part of the design spec. Guilds weren't even really implemented for damn-sake.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

I was being sarcastic btw

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by RefMinor

I don't get it. I can sit down perfectly well on my ship. Why cant we do it anywhere else? While I'm still playing and still enjoying it, I would be lying if I wasn't looking forward to the coming new releases. For a new MMo it feels like when I started playing Rift. I was pretty dazzled by the soul system but lost interest after level 20 as I just saw a huge gear-ladder ahead of me. Tor is the same but the story keeps me coming back. I wish I could say it was the gameplay but it's firmly in CoH style. I was really hoping for something new.

A social hub would be great but this game isn't a hub so much as a corridor. As such, folks seem to be concentrated at the very beginning or the very end with a social desert in between. Once you hit all the taxi points the only reason st stick around is to level up and repair armour. Folks will only freequent the cantinas if there is a vendor or to log out in a rest zone. This is a shame as I remember the cantinas being pretty lively places back in SWG. The planets aren't worlds. They are stepping stones and no one seems to want to linger.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Because Star Wars is about action, pew pew and hitting people with a glowbat.

Seriously, did you think that it was about lore, people in cantinas and untold stories? Did you think it was about walking the streets of Coruscant, feeling like you were in Lucas universe, creating your own destiny?

/Shakes head

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I was being sarcastic btw

Hah, right over my head.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Niko: games aren't books or films

Games are supposed to be about YOUR story

Since when?...In Halo your were Masterchief..it was his story..until reach. Gears of Wars...Marcus Fenix with options to play other stories. I could keep going...all the way to Pac Man. Even in mmos its not your story just your choice of body parts and features for an Avatar. Studios like Bioware..Bethesda are some of the closest to having you an individual but only by providing a flowchart structure of conversation that makes it seem like you are affecting things more than you really are. Don't get me wrong...I love all those games...but it is rarely if ever our story. The closest is a true sandbox with no questgivers UO at one time perhaps. Where you went wherever the wind blew and discoverd things without a Wiki.Only if they can simulate PnP roleplaying on a video screen with an avatar will it truly be our story.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

Because Star Wars is about action, pew pew and hitting people with a glowbat.

Seriously, did you think that it was about lore, people in cantinas and untold stories? Did you think it was about walking the streets of Coruscant, feeling like you were in Lucas universe, creating your own destiny?
    /Shakes head

Check the LucasArts quote in my sig.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

BioWare does not make virtual worlds, never did. They make story-driven games.

I want my MMO's to be virtual worlds, that I can live in, and play a role *I  pick* in that world. So, SWTOR is not for me, at least as an MMO.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by BarCrow

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Niko: games aren't books or films

Games are supposed to be about YOUR story

Since when?...In Halo your were Masterchief..it was his story..until reach. Gears of Wars...Marcus Fenix with options to play other stories. I could keep going...all the way to Pac Man. Even in mmos its not your story just your choice of body parts and features for an Avatar. Studios like Bioware..Bethesda are some of the closest to having you an individual but only by providing a flowchart structure of conversation that makes it seem like you are affecting things more than you really are. Don't get me wrong...I love all those games...but it is rarely if ever our story. The closest is a true sandbox with no questgivers UO at one time perhaps. Where you went wherever the wind blew and discoverd things without a Wiki.Only if they can simulate PnP roleplaying on a video screen with an avatar will it truly be our story.

This,

I was very surprised by ShakyMo's statement there. In fact the more I look at it the stranger it seems that someone could make that comment and be serious.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Because its a singleplayer game first and an MMO never.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by olepi

I want my MMO's to be virtual worlds, that I can live in, and play a role *I  pick* in that world. So, SWTOR is not for me, at least as an MMO.

Maybe you should rush out and buy a CE edition and then come here and complain in endless threads about how let down you are about TOR not being what you like in a game despite knowing what the game is like.

Just as well, dozens here have done exactly that  image

joking aside, it;s nice to see some common sense here on occasion.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by nikoliath

Originally posted by olepi

Maybe you should rush out and buy a CE edition and then come here and complain in endless threads about how let down you are about TOR not being what you like in a game despite knowing what the game is like.

Just as well, dozens here have done exactly that  image

joking aside, it;s nice to see some common sense here on occasion.

You can't COMPLETELY blame the people (only mostly). Bioware advertises this as an MMORPG. People expect living virtual worlds when they hear that. Hell they even charge a monthly fee.

But an MMO this game is not.

• bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

Do people really expect to be THIS spoon fed these days?

There's cantina's everywhere, there even one on the fleet! There's tons of buildings and cool places around that could be used as social hubs. If you want a social hub, go someplace and be social!

Or are you expecting there to be some place where you get social points for engaging in conversation with other characters? Have we gotten now to the point where " I can't RP properly because I can't sit in a chair?"

Man get over youselves...

• Oph8Oph8 Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by bfpiercelk

There's cantina's everywhere, there even one on the fleet! There's tons of buildings and cool places around that could be used as social hubs. If you want a social hub, go someplace and be social!

Or are you expecting there to be some place where you get social points for engaging in conversation with other characters? Have we gotten now to the point where " I can't RP properly because I can't sit in a chair?"

Yes, they do expect to be spoon fed. Blizzard did it for them with World of Warcraft and every crying ass baby from WoW expects the same treatment. Every kid loves Disneyland.

Now to the op:

I remember back in the EQ days where players created there own social spots, the most popular was the Tunnel at EC. It was nothing special, just a tunnel with a griffon that would pass every so often. And SWG, we'd meet in the cantina's or Anchorhead on Tatoonie. These days players are just to spoiled and have no imagination to do anything except whine and complain. Hell, Bioware put the social spot on the damn map for you to see it say's CANTINA, do you know what a CANTINA IS????

"Everything is mine and your woman too"

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think it's a pretty small complaint considering all the things in SWTOR that are complaint-WORTHY, seriously.  I enjoy the game and I'm still playing, social hubs and working chairs or not, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to expect some small attention to detail.  It's a product that I paid for and AM paying for, so I do have a few very small expectations.  I, personally, am not one of the ones that's been just parked on the forums whining and complaining about every aspect of the game, but there's no "get over yourselves" to having some simple desires for game improvement.  There's a lot more wrong with this game than it lacking social hubs.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• bfpiercelkbfpiercelk Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by just1opinion

I think it's a pretty small complaint considering all the things in SWTOR that are complaint-WORTHY, seriously.  I enjoy the game and I'm still playing, social hubs and working chairs or not, but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to expect some small attention to detail.  It's a product that I paid for and AM paying for, so I do have a few very small expectations.  I, personally, am not one of the ones that's been just parked on the forums whining and complaining about every aspect of the game, but there's no "get over yourselves" to having some simple desires for game improvement.  There's a lot more wrong with this game than it lacking social hubs.

You do have that right, not saying you don't. I also have the right to tell you to get over yourself and not expect a "social hub" object to drop out of the sky and scream "Get in here and communicate with people!". Social hubs are created by players, not developers.

I get the chairs though, as a looooong time SWG player I really do. But don't tell me you can't socialize without it, that's just a bunch of garbage.