Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anarchy Online: Ch-ch-ch-changes Incoming!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest Anarchy Online Monthly Update has arrived with all sorts of news about big changes coming to the game. The update covers the new game engine, the overhauled new player experience, profession changes, server migrations and more. It's a must-read for AO fans.

Read the full post on the Anarchy Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

This update should have been out 4 years ago. And that class migration sound more and more wow-ish-->"make the game so easy, that even 8y old can understand and play"

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

hahaha. coming soon in 3012. 

funcom promised changes what? 3 years ago? and yet they release the 1000th post of things to come. sorry but its laughable.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

I've played off and on since beta and they've been talking about this crap for 4 years. Now every few months they post a new 'screenshot' that's more likely just some photoshopped image and make the same hollow promise. Means left, that was the only change this game is getting until it fades away.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

means got sacked because changes were 99% ready to go,dont thinks so.

1% done more likely.

and i thought wowization went to trash-can on the same run,but it didnt it seems.

Let's internet

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Read the whole thing before you post people!!  It does not sound wowish at all. They had a real lazy person working on it, that only posted pics, they have a new person that is ready to get the ball rolling and working hard. 

So before you lame and get really stupid, read the whole thing!

I have been following this the whole time, so ya i know it`s taken a long time, but like i said they have new people and a new person leading it.

I opened one of my accounts not so long time ago,i was logged  on that building where i can get daily missions,i jumped once ,went inside the wall,running there a bit then i dropped to some lake below that building,and cancelled my account and fast.

happened this month,i dont believe anything they say anymore.

Let's internet

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by punkrock

Read the whole thing before you post people!!  It does not sound wowish at all. They had a real lazy person working on it, that only posted pics, they have a new person that is ready to get the ball rolling and working hard. 

I have been following this the whole time, so ya i know it`s taken a long time, but like i said they have new people and a new person leading it.

It doesn't matter how hard they work, they started it so long ago that it's already out of date if it ever comes out lol!

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Changes or not, it's always been a fun game.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by loopback1199

It doesn't matter how hard they work, they started it so long ago that it's already out of date if it ever comes out lol!

It does matter a lot to be honest, the new team has to work 10x as hard becouse of the old team was lazy and did not care to be honest. Who cares if it`s old! It`s gettin re made, what if WOW was remodeling there game 5 years from know, it would be ok?

Ya sure it would nto take them as long but it`s still old. 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Well worth it.. They know what a gem they really have on their hands.. And since it's been F2P, it's given people like me a chance to see what I was missing al those years back..

In such a shallow industry, the graphics are all that's needed to truly be able to show so many potential players the actual meat that lies beneath the ugly skin.. Once they can get into the eyes of the naysayers I am sure they would grab some new players..

I wish other relics of the past would have gone this route instead of shutting down.. So many shut down P2P's were much better than the equivalent crop of F2P's we got some years back..

Who knows, had SoE simply reverted the changes to SWG and enhanced the graphics there probably wouldn't even need to be a SWTOR mmo right now.. Perhaps maybe we'd still have that pretty strange but decent Matrix Online.. Perhaps even Tabula Rasa could still be doing well..

If only companies put in a little work to preserve their classics like Funcom is trying to do with AO.. It's totally worth it..

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I read the whole thing. And so far, I see the same crap. More TALK and no SHOW. No pics, no video. Even less than "lazy" Means.

New GD don't mean crap.

From Marius to Gaute to Morrison to Cragg and now Tjernberg, same stuff different day.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Velocinox

This x1000, fantastic game, by far the best sci fi mmo to date in my personal opinion. Update may betoo late but it will be welcomed to those remaining hardcore fans. Not sure a new new player experience is going to benefit much though.

Originally posted by pompey606

Originally posted by Velocinox

This x1000, fantastic game, by far the best sci fi mmo to date in my personal opinion. Update may betoo late but it will be welcomed to those remaining hardcore fans. Not sure a new new player experience is going to benefit much though.

That's what's going to bite them in the ass really. Everyone hearing about the "new engine" is expecting to see graphics on par with other new releases. And it's not going to happen. The graphics they're going for will be on par circa 2006/2007, at best. So that will drive off a bunch of possible players.

And no tutorial, even if they made it 20 levels long like AoC, is going to really prepare newbies for what they'll hit after getting to the mainland. The themepark crowd will run away as fast as they can just as they've done all these years before. They may get an upswing in more "sandbox" type players ( if they don't ruin everything with the profession merges and "balancing" ), but nowhere near enough to justify the already 5+ years of "new engine" development.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Regarding the engine update, I think they have done it two or three times. The first tries where discarded due to assorted issues. This last one updates the engine to be the same as you have in AoC/TSW. This should make it a lot easier for them to add content and keep the engine current since they get access to the toolset built for AoC/TSW.

Regarding the slow implementation, I can only say that there are few MMO's from 2001 that still gets support and development.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

This is cool, but when i shoot and miss does my gun fire a bullet 90 degrees to the barrel??

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by Blackbrrd

Regarding the engine update, I think they have done it two or three times. The first tries where discarded due to assorted issues. This last one updates the engine to be the same as you have in AoC/TSW. This should make it a lot easier for them to add content and keep the engine current since they get access to the toolset built for AoC/TSW.

Regarding the slow implementation, I can only say that there are few MMO's from 2001 that still gets support and development.

AO will look nothing like AoC, not even DX9 AoC. Means even stated that in one of his last FwM posts. This will not make AO "current" in regards to graphics in any way shape or form.

AoC's engine is AO's current engine re-written ( the Dreamworld engine ), the AO dev team does not have the manpower or resources to rewrite all of AO's code to work completely with the re-written AoC version. So the best you will see is as I said, about 2006-2007 standards at best.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Am I supposed to become excited again about this new graphics engine? This has been going on for years now. Ill check back if there are some patch notes to read about that sparkly graphics engine.

But I suspect that by then its so outdated that they hired another new guy to sluggishly develop the even better better graphics engine.

• GravespinGravespin Member Posts: 66

The new player experince sounds cool. It's a really hard game to get into as a newbie..

And you can only hope that the new ppl actully finish something, rather than just come up with new ideas all the time. ^^

#LOTRO (Dankman 37 BUR)
    #COV (Bonefish 50 ice/rad)
    Tryed: SWG, Planetside, AA, EQ2, Rappelz, Matrix, DAoC, Ryzom.

Looking forward to:
    1: Planet Side 2
    2: Anarchy-Online 2

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Lol, I will believe they have actually made something new when I am logging into the game world and get to see it for myself.  Funcom...le sigh.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

I saw this demod back in 2007

ya...2007.  This was at dragon*con.

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Anarchy was by far the best MMO I have played. The game mechanics  are unlike any other. They really require you to think about what you are doing and there is no "cookie Cutter" build. You have all kinds of options to build off of. The professions are some of the most original and fun to play. I really did like this game.

But  I will not pay another dime towards their AAA rate sub fee so long as that cash shop is active.

Sorry FC. As good as this little gem is, it's not worthy of both $15/mo and your P2W cash shop model.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

Anarchy was by far the best MMO I have played. The game mechanics  are unlike any other. They really require you to think about what you are doing and there is no "cookie Cutter" build. You have all kinds of options to build off of. The professions are some of the most original and fun to play. I really did like this game.

But  I will not pay another dime towards their AAA rate sub fee so long as that cash shop is active.

Sorry FC. As good as this little gem is, it's not worthy of both $15/mo and your P2W cash shop model.

What do they have in there that is P2W?  I'm not saying this as a smartass (which I usually am) I am genuinly curious.  Last time I played a few years ago all I remember them having was some hoverbikes or something like that.  No xp items or even vanity appearance stuff.  I'm assuming with your comment of P2W that this changed?

Originally posted by niceguy3978

What do they have in there that is P2W?  I'm not saying this as a smartass (which I usually am) I am genuinly curious.  Last time I played a few years ago all I remember them having was some hoverbikes or something like that.  No xp items or even vanity appearance stuff.  I'm assuming with your comment of P2W that this changed?

go to cash shop then buy tokens and then sell those tokens in game,1 token = 10 million credits.(was something like that when i played)

then buy all the items in game ,nodrop whatever / lootrights,doesnt matter.best company in the business,its worse than cash shops in free to play games.

Let's internet

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Yeah, basically, you buy consumables in the shop such as Tokens, I believe the canned buffs are tradeable, You can buy VP then use that to purchase OFAB Armor that suspisciously had it's NODROP tag removed the day the cash shop went live and sell that. Whatever, you can basically convert your real money into credits without violating your ELUA. From there, you go and contact guys like this:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=597467

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

They should have just remade the game, im sick of these updates to great games that still make them look and feel like 10 years ago.  I will never resub to this unless it carrys a new generation MMO feel to it.