Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: 600 Jobs Going 'Redundant'

12346»

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Every company will get rid of people they don't need even if they are rolling in cash Microsoft does it Apple does and even Amazon has, not to mention all these companies look for ways to do the same thing with less people.

Hell you can look up Amazon and see employee compliants about being overworked and not getting help with all the workload. Every company is about making money, anyone saying whatever "company" isn't greedy is a fool.

I'm not making excuses for it either businesses have rarely ever cared if any of us have a job or not and that will never change.

Sucks for those people, hope they find work soon.

It's funny to see all the desperate people run in here wanting so badly for blizzard to fail, so what do you people think, that if warcraft shutsdown other companies will somehow make better games? Lol that won't happen.

Then again I've never understood why people start taking this stuff so personnel, its like blizzard kicked these peoples dog or destroyed their life somehow lol. I guess its just normal crap every company gas to deal with, seems like too many unhappy people need to find something to cling their hate and anger on so they can feel better about themselves

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

This was very sad. One word came to mind after hearing about this: Dividends.

• Shakes420Shakes420 Member Posts: 23
  • Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Scalebane

Every company will get rid of people they don't need even if they are rolling in cash Microsoft does it Apple does and even Amazon has, not to mention all these companies look for ways to do the same thing with less people. Hell you can look up Amazon and see employee compliants about being overworked and not getting help with all the workload. Every company is about making money, anyone saying whatever "company" isn't greedy is a fool. I'm not making excuses for it either businesses have rarely ever cared if any of us have a job or not and that will never change. Sucks for those people, hope they find work soon. It's funny to see all the desperate people run in here wanting so badly for blizzard to fail, so what do you people think, that if warcraft shutsdown other companies will somehow make better games? Lol that won't happen. Then again I've never understood why people start taking this stuff so personnel, its like blizzard kicked these peoples dog or destroyed their life somehow lol. I guess its just normal crap every company gas to deal with, seems like too many unhappy people need to find something to cling their hate and anger on so they can feel better about themselves

Yes they will its how they continue to be rolling in the cash. But to some,when news is good about Blizzard its "a lie" and when its bad its, "see? I said years ago they were going under."  The rumors of WOW's demise have been stated as fact since it launch.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Crap...I hope Blizzard doesn't go under.

I need World of Warcraft...

...to filter out the idiots from the hard(er)core games I play

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• MalacorMalacor Member Posts: 10

some they they should have work mor eon a follow up to WoW... but perheps they have realised that WoW has atrract 10 times more player for years as the few other most successfull games have  (and 100 times more as the less successfull)

the marked has chances , more competitions as with higher quality is there, a follow will not continue the success as WoW (at least not in that dimension)... so Blizzard has to adept ...

this is a wise and clever move to scale yout staff to the expected business in the next years... this will perheps not the last  job cut

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Despite in line with capitalism (suck life from slaves and then discard) I see this as very bad move. They are signaling wow is in trouble. There was no need to this move from financial perspective (simply who is already too rich would be slightly less but still too much), they could use them for make game even better and trying to grab back players.

I will for sure return. However since release i'm playing Swtor which will keep me leveling all my alts and having a blast for sure until summer or end of summer. Rift is also waiting for me to return. All my 10 alts 85 in wow are barely waiting for expansion however. :-)

Fact is, for me before was just wow. All the rest were just filler up to take short break from wow. Now for the first time in history I have 3 incredible games to choose between.

• mikesykes876mikesykes876 Member Posts: 1

Customer Support? Do they have Customer Support?

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The bigest problem for Blizz is they don't really have any new games announced on the horizon. SC2 expansions, WoW content, and Diablo 3. All built on previously released games. Titan, who knows what that will be or if it ever sees the light of day. This website last year worshiped the ground that Blizzard shat on, but c'omon guys, in 2012 isn't it more the case that Blizzard just look  like endlessly recylcing old games. 

• JolarJolar Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by TyvolusNext

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by eyeswideopenNo, what's funny is you having a stock portfolio when you don't know how business works. Amazon can handle losses on the Kindle hardware because the BOOKS ( as well was advertising space on the cheaper version ) for the Kindle offset the difference. The same way Sony could absorb the losses on PS3 hardware as game revenue is where the money is really at. Plus they have literally hundreds of THOUSANDS of products that they make pure profit from with NO production costs at all and minimal overhead as most all those products are either stored by the sellers or stored collectively in a big warehouse.

I really think you need to take a deep breath, read this, let it sink in, read it again and understand MY POINT. It is simply this, Amazon has proven you can be successful and not come across as overly greedy. Read, then re-read and read again the chain of posts, and you will understand that nowhere, no how and in no way was I attempting to explore or understand the HOW Amazon does it, merely that they CAN do it, and still be successful and not come across as greedy. Do you think you get it now ? But thanks for explaining the "how" it all works when that wasn't the issue.

Again my point in referencing Amzons successful and less greedy business model is that I was attempting to prove you can be SUCCESSFUL and not nickel and dime your cleint base. Amzon can charge for shipping and Amazon can charge for at least cost the Kindle, but they choose not to, thereby coming across as less greedy. can you understand this rather simplistic point ?

thanks.

And I think YOU should read your own posts.

then please explain to me (someone who owns/buys stock) how a company like Amazon will slash prices, offer free shipping and provide great customer service and actually sell items like the Kindle at below cost...all the while remaining a strong, viable player in retail AND remain profitable AND have a stock price of almost $180 -- explain to me how this company who doesnt nickle and dime its customers in a greedy manner is so wonderfully successful ?

thanks.

You asked, I answered. Not my problem if you can't handle an answer to YOUR OWN QUESTION so you try to act like you never asked it in the first place.

wow, ok.  Actually that was what is called a rhetorical question.  I already know the answer, and it is because AMAZON IS NOT GREEDY.  You are trying to answer my rehtoric with a reasoned understanding of business logistics when the HOW is not the issue....its that they are doing things that cut their profit margins and make them less greedy and are still successful.  do you really need it all explained out like this ?

And here we have what is known as the "Oh man, I got caught, let me come up with something that will make it look like I was right, and the other person was an idiot" line, folks!  Let's see what happens next!

So I had to either take up the viola or become a vampire; and they were fresh out of violas.

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123

I guess that means Starcraft 2: Heart of the swarm is ready :-)

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Lizante

[mod edit]

Yes from what im seeing here, people expect companies to keep the dead weight around until they do go bankrupt. [mod edit]

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• HordedogHordedog Member UncommonPosts: 46

Originally posted by adam_nox

lol losing top dog status?  Uh, yeah come back when they are below 3 mil ten years from now, or if some other game manages to get above 5 mil in a few years.

The question has never been whether or not WoW would last forever, but whether or not the mmo genre would survive WoW. 

WoW will be below 3million subs 5 years from now. 10 years from now it's unlikely WoW will be live, except via emulators. And it's entirely conceivable that GW2 could scratch the plateau of 5 million subs. (though I won't be one of them)

The genre will be around long after WoW is just another discontinued game folks use to establish thier mmo cred. The way UO, EQ and DAoC are used today.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Yeah, all thier franchises stopped mkaing a ton of money so now they have to can 600 people to break even. /sarcasm !

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I don't like hearing about company layoffs.   I like a healthy gaming industry.

So why did hearing about this make me smile?

Honestly, I don't know.    (No sarcasm intended)