Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused about traits?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

With the release of new info on the trait system and it's revamps (found here), I delved into the new info and must say came out abit confused.

My original class choice was a Warrior Norn that would specialize in some sort of Longbow setup, swapping to a sword or some such thing when enemies got close. My reasoning for this choice is that I would LOVE to play a Ranger, but at the same time, i cant STAND pet's and pet management.

I originally thought that traits were aquired through events in the world, and could be aquired by any class, meaning that i could take my longbow warrior, head out and get traits that would amplify my usefullness with a longbow. However, i either horribly misunderstood the whole process, or they changed it at some point to this set in stone trait-tree thing they have now.

So, as i understand it NOW, traits are not gained in world anymore, but set for you in a normal Skill-tree sort of fashion, where you pick the general direction you want to go in and head down that path?

So, my question is, is my plan no longer viable? After looking through the trait tree thing that they have set up on guildwars2tools.com  they don't have any traits listed that help with longbow at all, that i can see....which to me seems counter productive, as warriors are stated as being masters of alot of weapons?

Can someone clarify things that i am missing or perhaps guide me in the right direction?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

There are weapon-specific traits, including one or two for ranged. Everything else is interacting with mechanics, like conditions, cooldowns or procs. If you want to make a longbow warrior, you'd probably pick the bow trait and then pick traits that interact meaningfully with the effects of your bow skills.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

What was supposed to be the traits challenge system is now the skill challenge system. The "original" trait acquiring system was profession specific and thus it was not content that you could complete while playing with others of different professions. Arenanet still wanted to keep the challenge system, but instead of gaining profession specific traits, now you gain skill points (for your number 5-10 skills) and each challenge is viable for each profession.

About your question about the Bow Warrior - you can still do that. It seems there are ~2 major traits specific for each weapon. You must have missed the bow ones, they are under Tactics (Burning Arrows, Stronger Bowstring). The rest of the traits are more general and deal with different types of skills and attributes.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by Naqaj

There are weapon-specific traits, including one or two for ranged. Everything else is interacting with mechanics, like conditions, cooldowns or procs. Of you want to make a longbow warrior, you'd probably pick the bow trait and then pick traits that interact meaningfully with the effects of your bow skills.

OK I do see a couple traits in the discipline tree for warrior, one for longer distance, and one called 'burning arrows' though it doesnt say what it does. Seems pretty easy to guess it sets your arrows on fire.

However, almost everything in the warrior tree is focused on melee weapons, which seems to me to say that if i dont use melee, i am very much gimping myself in combat... any more information?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by Toxia

There are weapon-specific traits, including one or two for ranged. Everything else is interacting with mechanics, like conditions, cooldowns or procs. Of you want to make a longbow warrior, you'd probably pick the bow trait and then pick traits that interact meaningfully with the effects of your bow skills.

OK I do see a couple traits in the discipline tree for warrior, one for longer distance, and one called 'burning arrows' though it doesnt say what it does. Seems pretty easy to guess it sets your arrows on fire.

However, almost everything in the warrior tree is focused on melee weapons, which seems to me to say that if i dont use melee, i am very much gimping myself in combat... any more information?

Nothing to worry about. Out if the 7 traits you end up choosing , there is plenty off choices that does help you , and there is no way you are forced to improve your meelee, besides the odd minor trait that cant be avoided. But having a single minor trait not suiting a build is common among all classes.

I quick look through doesn't reveal any problem in any of the line - picking 3 major traits that does Not force you into improving mellee.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You're focusing on the wrong stuff. There are much more options that aren't linked to a weapon at all. As a ranged, you can make use of traits that improve damage in general, cooldown reduction, modifiers to boons and conditions, and things that prevent enemies from reaching you. That's plenty of choice.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

I don't know if http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_warrior_traits is up with the latest info, but if it is, Arms and Tactics look to be two trait lines you might like to follow. They have major traits to boost longbow and rifle effectiveness, and minor traits that look perfectly useful regardless of whether you're melee or ranged, things like bleeding and vulnerability on crits, damage buff to nearby allies, etc.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Just looked through the Traits and it seems that focusing on the "Tactic", "Arms" and "Discipline" trait lines will allow you to focus on your Longbow, Sword build.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

From 19 weapon combinations only 2 are ranged, what do you expect?

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Traits are still quite incomplete imo.

Incase you haven't noticed there aren't many Hammer traits!

So while building a char may be fun, this is 99% likely to change a bit here and there.

Also we don't know the duration/damage of a lot of the trait improvements. So just use it for now to get a 'rough' idea.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Razephon

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it. Traits are still quite incomplete imo.

Incase you haven't noticed there aren't many Hammer traits!

So while building a char may be fun, this is 99% likely to change a bit here and there.

Also we don't know the duration/damage of a lot of the trait improvements. So just use it for now to get a 'rough' idea.

For the hammer you only need trait that add more damage and one that dcrease CDs. Everything else is in the skills already. And adding more effects will make it to strong IMO. This is also part of the ballance, dont forget it.