Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 and WOW are so similar

Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Now I have both game accounts open to play. It was my second day playing WOW. I found out there are so many things are similar to EQ2. It makes me wondering that WOW might be stealing the game concept from EQ2. That's why WOW released to he market after EQ2 so they are better than EQ2.  

Maybe not.

I can't tell you more details about WOW because I don't want to be considered as trolling both in WOW and EQ2.

Comments

• NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

Neither of these games are innovators. That's not going to be a real big surprise to MMO veterans.

Many games that try to innovate fail. Others just have their new ideas copied in some for or another in the most popular games.

AO did instancing first IIRC. Now almost all new games have it.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• ClockfosterClockfoster Member Posts: 43

oh noes, both have this element called GRIND.
    AMERICA SUE ALL

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by Larry2298
    Now I have both game accounts open to play. It was my second day playing WOW. I found out there are so many things are similar to EQ2. It makes me wondering that WOW might be stealing the game concept from EQ2. That's why WOW released to he market after EQ2 so they are better than EQ2.  
    Maybe not.
    I can't tell you more details about WOW because I don't want to be considered as trolling both in WOW and EQ2.

Welcome to Earth.

• OnyxBMWOnyxBMW Member Posts: 207

Erhm, EQ2 and WoW have nothing really in common.

EQ2 took everything good in it's predecessor (I seriously never noticed anything good in the previous EQ...but...for the sake of arguement...) and threw it out the window like what AC2 did with AC1 (AC1 is still the best MMO ever IMO) and then replaced it with stunning graphics and poor gameplay (sounds VERY familiar in comparison to AC2)

WoW did something opposite, and took everything established as "good" in most MMO's and put it in their game.

Now, don't get me wrong, WoW is not perfect and definitely could use some improvements as well...

• CalibobCalibob Member Posts: 1
    I enjoy both games no trolling from me image
  • Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Just talking about the combat in game. I think the best combat engine goes to Acheron's Call 2 - The Fallen King.

Either WOW or EQ2 cannot beat the superb combat design from AC2. WoW is catching up with such design but they did about 85% alike AC2. Unfortunately, EQ2 not even reach 50% like AC2.

Considering AC2 released to the market few years ago and they still able to keep MMORPG score for 7,4 which is same as the latest EQ2. You can imagine the game is good quality. Sometimes we cannot trust the number but myself did played all these three games and I could understand AC2 is really worthy for 7,4.

I think most Asians playing EQ2 because WOW did not have Asian server so many people cannot prove that why WOW earns 8,8.

WOW and EQ2 are alike and I have kind of thought about WOW is like the advanced version of EQ3.

• RenadanRenadan Member Posts: 15

Ya there has not been any huge innovation in the MMO world. UO (being the original) (Ok not the original but most consider it to be, excluding Meridian 59, etc). Mostly fantasy worlds, level, grind, level, grind, quest, grind, get loot, level grind. Lather, rinse an repeat.

Small innovations has made there way into games but not any major ones. Large scale pvp, (DAoC was good at this). Scifi in Eve, jumpgate, Anarchy, etc was a nice change but mostly only a visual one.

Character customization has gone down some in WOW and EQ from some previous games. DAoC, you had many races, realms, and you could dye, alter size, etc.

I consider myself a veteran in MMOrpg's ive played UO, EQ, AC2, E&B, SB, AO, Jumpgate, SWG, PS, WOW, EVE, and other minor ones. Non seem to STAND out.

I am still waiting for that one game that rises above all others, and has everything I want. If I could combine the aspects of all of them into one, I might be happy.

The problem is the more and more I play the higher my expectations are from previous games and I loose sight of what I enjoyed previously.