Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So uh..I actually like this game.

revajinrevajin Member Posts: 21

And it's terrible. Really one of the poorest excuses for an mmo that I've played. Slightly better than Darkfall mind you, but terrible nonetheless. Yet today, as a new player who has been out it...3 days? I went out into the wilderness near Meduli and saw a nude character walking slowly back to town. I figured he's probably loaded up on stuff I can sell so I attack him. I'm winning the fight too when along comes some local e-bushido player guard, also noobish like us. I start fighting both at the same time, and I'm holding my own. Two more players show up and now I'm staring down four other noobs with weapons. I begin to back up, suddenly everyone seems reluctant to press the attack, I hear a growl. I turn around to see a large wolf creature I believe its called a Belbus, it quickly overpowers me and I die. As a ghost I see it charge my attackers and one by one pick them off as they try to retreat back to the city limits. A veteran e-samurai comes out to try and help but its too late. The game is awful, but I'm sold on it. It's no EVE but when Eve wears me out its a really fun distraction.

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I liked it when I played, but mostly it was the exploiters who ruined it for me. I could look past the horrible desync, and balance issues because it was just a fun game.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

haha love the story,I love random scenerios like that where anything can happen..

You can always find gems in even the worst of games sometimes.Back when Vanguard first launched,it was a bug,lag infested mess,but I loved the game and still do.

Stick with what you enjoy,it doesnt matter if its deemed "terrible" or not,if you enjoy it then thats all that matters.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Yeah I love MO also. But I kind of waiting for SV to clean up their exploiters and so-called hackability first before I come back again. Either that or if I see reviews of how awesome "Awakening" is I may also come back.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by xDayx

Yeah I love MO also. But I kind of waiting for SV to clean up their exploiters and so-called hackability first before I come back again. Either that or if I see reviews of how awesome "Awakening" is I may also come back.

Uhm...

Hackability is not going to change in Mortal.  There will always be a certain amount of client side information that can either be read passively from game memory (like a radar hack) or that can modify data in transit (hacks that modify item id's, or damage, for example).

SV does not have tools for the volunteer GM team to detect speed hackers with certainty... in my experience they usually just eyeball the situation, and for very low grade speed hacks it's just not easy to tell.

The main hope is that SV improves its arcane GM tools dramatically.  

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this game can be a lot of fun even simply because it's so different from 99% of all other mmos. it's definately a breath of fresh air for new players that can look past it's many glaring flaws.

a bit of a different story for vets, but that wont be your concern for a few months anyways.

Originally posted by psykobilly

Originally posted by xDayx

Uhm...

Hackability is not going to change in Mortal.  There will always be a certain amount of client side information that can either be read passively from game memory (like a radar hack) or that can modify data in transit (hacks that modify item id's, or damage, for example).

SV does not have tools for the volunteer GM team to detect speed hackers with certainty... in my experience they usually just eyeball the situation, and for very low grade speed hacks it's just not easy to tell.

The main hope is that SV improves its arcane GM tools dramatically.  

Yeah, its a shame.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Ah fuck, guess its time to give this game a try. : )

• realnasterealnaste Member Posts: 98

The game is well worth a try for anyone bored with the current, stagnant, ultra conservative and plainly boring state of the fantasy-mmo industry and it's ways.
    Just doing so, one should bare in mind, that this title has many problems that should never plague an already released title according to today's standards.
    (Personally I don't care about that, because the same companies making the quality standard so high, stick to shitty game mechanics...)
    Many of concerns stated on this forums have valid backing in facts, even if usually it's blown way out of proportion.
    What I suggest is doing some research before starting (where to start and why, what build, why should one block pigs? what does double tapping TAB does? etc), and definitely preparing for problems (with downloading, launching, running and playing the game).
    Also whoever decides on a trial now should know that awakening has many core features (can I cal a GUI a feature even?) that should improve the experience drastically (If we believe that SV does it right).
    Might be worth checking back even if the game disappoints today.

Nah, to lazy to do some research. If i survived in EVE i should do "alright" here as well. Time to go die. :D

As you wish.
    Just remember MO has no real tutorial (While EVE has quite a long and exhausting one for comparison)
    Also the current, soon to be changed, GUI is very clunky, counter-intuitive and lacks any form of consistency.
    It can get frustrating if the basic tools allowing a player to interact with the world are made that way ;)

Originally posted by realnaste

As you wish.

Just remember MO has no real tutorial (While EVE has quite a long and exhausting one for comparison)

Also the current, soon to be changed, GUI is very clunky, counter-intuitive and lacks any form of consistency.

It can get frustrating if the basic tools allowing a player to interact with the world are made that way ;)

Aye, well EVE didnt have much of a tutorial when i started though and I've played both UO, Tibia and l2 long back so I might survive... (well probably not). Either way I saw they have an IRC channel so I might go there if Im wondering something but it shouldnt be completely impossible to figure out right? :d

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I tried for day or two but it didn't run smoothly even with low settings and it should, I don't have the best machine but it chugged, if the new patch optimises that I will try another trial, I like the concept and the deep end no map etc and night being very very dark etc.

I think I know what you mean. It's not that MO is that badly optimised, it's just that it seems to struggle with some PC configurations making it totally unplayable on some machines. I for instance had around 200 FPS lately...
    Which gives me an idea. I tested it while being in Toxai, which, along with Morin Khur, is usually a ghost town. have you tried a low population area like that, or was it Meduli/ Fabernum?
    I'm just asking out of curiosity...

• mehoronmehoron Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by realnaste

I think I know what you mean. It's not that MO is that badly optimised, it's just that it seems to struggle with some PC configurations making it totally unplayable on some machines. I for instance had around 200 FPS lately...

Which gives me an idea. I tested it while being in Toxai, which, along with Morin Khur, is usually a ghost town. have you tried a low population area like that, or was it Meduli/ Fabernum?

I'm just asking out of curiosity...

It runs pretty alright on my little 350 dollar laptop. It's playable, but I wouldn't be doing anything like huge PVP battles on my laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215157

I have that one, but I did add another 4 gigs of g.skill ram (8 total). They may have a better version of it out now that runs the game a bit better.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Ah fuck, guess its time to give this game a try. : )

that's the spirit :D

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

They have an OK in game guide. There is an adequate wiki for the game too. Even if you dont read those..its not that hard to figure out the basics. I wanted to craft bows. I trained for all the basic gathering at the nearby NPCS. Gathered whatever and whenever I could. Flowers..carcasses...mining...wood....extracted what  I could... mostly bones and fur from carcasses or powder from the rocks. (can't remember the name off- hand). Sold everything. Bought ranged combat..archery..reading..bowyery and 3-4 bow-type tomes (among other skill raising tomes like jumping..athletics..etc).

In the process of reading them..(reading tome first..I'm assuming it helps me read a little faster). When my general bowyery  skill was high.... I still couldnt craft anything due to "lacking skill" . Asked in chat and was quickly (and kindly) told I needed understanding of the wood I was using...i.e raise my woodlores. This oddly didnt start until I found a whitewood tree as I had been chopping greywoods to hell and back. After that my greywood lore raised as well. Now intelligence probably also plays a part as many skills are linked together. Now I've been crafting bow after bow. Maxed out my general bowyery  and focusing on making diffrent types and finding other woods.

Most of this was figured out by trial and error. Only the woodlore question was asked.

It's a fun game imo...lots of details in everything you do .

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

is the trial worth doing? what does skills capped at 60 mean? or 600 total skill points?

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Billr00

is the trial worth doing?

Why not, try it and see for your self. As worst you will waste couple of hours.

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135

it takes me a awhile to download 9 gigs .. which is weird .. i can play game with very low ping rate 40-6s depending but my download speed plateaus around 58k per sec . think i need to talk to my internet provider about whats up

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I don't know! I preodered way back in the day and beta tested. Was enough for me to cancel the preorder and get a refund. I did want to like the game. I am sure now it is nothing like it was at that time.

Subbed members have a total of 1100 skill points give or take based on your stats. Trial members have 600 to use freely. Its an adequate skill point cap to see if you like the game.

it takes me a awhile to download 9 gigs .. which is weird .. i can play game with very low ping rate 40-6s depending but my download speed plateaus around 58k per sec . think i need to talk to my internet provider about whats up

No, most probably it's on MOs end. 

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319
    Originally posted by Toferio

Ofc it must be on MOs end. Cause I downloaded the entire game in 40-45 mins...

Originally posted by Norpan

Looks like I will have to take that one back, seems that they've fixed the speed from last time Ive checked it.

Originally posted by Norpan

Looks like I will have to take that one back, seems that they've fixed the speed from last time Ive checked it.

Not necessarily. Patcher, just like the client, seems to be picky for no apparent reason. Some patch it with no problems, some have no problems, but do take time, never reaching the potential of their broadband, and some will just quit because of multiple patching errors. The last seems to be not so common lately though.