Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a new psu ideas suggestions?

pirateshakepirateshake Member Posts: 43

cpu  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

mobo  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

ram  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145343

case  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146065

ssd  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

i also have a   DIAMOND 6950PE52G Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity   but i couldnt find a link for it.

I need a new psu the one i have for my old i7 rig is just way to big 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379009  thats what i have it fits but it takes up to much room so id like something smaller.

my idea so far is  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-098&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

is this to much or not enough? is there something comparable, just as silent and as good or better for less? Let me know what you think

I also have a corsair h60 coming soon.and id like to try and get the hdd bay back in but this psu is just to big 

EDit: I should mention i really prefer modular designs. I like a few cables as possible esp with the small form factor

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

While I agree the Zalman 1000 is a bit large, the 560 is going to barely push that card, mobo and proc.

This may be more what you're looking for, good power with a smaller form factor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153153

• SoSuMeiSoSuMei Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Storman1977

While I agree the Zalman 1000 is a bit large, the 560 is going to barely push that card, mobo and proc.

This may be more what you're looking for, good power with a smaller form factor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153153

*****Scratched*****

If you're willing to spend a bit more to get a nice PSU I'd recommend the FSP Aurom Gold 750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104127

• pirateshakepirateshake Member Posts: 43

Thanks guys. After looking at the reviews for the second psu ( seeing as theres more negative reviews than good and even the good are meh at best ) and even looking at other reviews for similar thermaltake products it seems like they dont make the best of what they could make quailty products. I have no issues spending money on good items and i def dont want to buy from a company that from what reviews ive seen so far are more miss than hit. Just my opinion of course. Any other ideas from a better manufactor or someone that has more experience in recomendations and building

• SoSuMeiSoSuMei Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by pirateshake

Thanks guys. After looking at the reviews for the second psu ( seeing as theres more negative reviews than good and even the good are meh at best ) and even looking at other reviews for similar thermaltake products it seems like they dont make the best of what they could make quailty products. I have no issues spending money on good items and i def dont want to buy from a company that from what reviews ive seen so far are more miss than hit. Just my opinion of course. Any other ideas from a better manufactor or someone that has more experience in recomendations and building

I never actually looked at the newegg reveiws before, and I'm surprised that many people have had problems.  I remember reading a review on it last year some time and they had shown the PSU to hit efficiency in the silver range and have very little noise in the power. I myself never had a problem with the PSU but seeing that many unhappy people implies a pretty poor average. I apologize and retract my suggestion.

Quizzical will surely be by with some suggestions anyhow.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Before looking at parts, my first thought was, have you considered replacing the case instead of the power supply?  The trouble with small cases is that you might not have the room to do what you want.  I'm not actually going to recommend that, especially if you carry the case around a lot (which is what it is meant for).  But for future reference, you might want to get a bigger case next time, such as a mid tower.

If you're running everything at stock speeds, then the Seasonic X-560 will be fine.  If you're going to raise the PowerTune cap on the video card and overclock everything to the moon, I'd worry about case airflow before I'd worry about the power supply.

If you want something at least as good as a Seasonic X-series, that doesn't leave many options.  There's the Corsair AX series (which is the same thing), the Kingwin Lazer Platinum, Seasonic Platinum, XFX Pro Series Platinum (which is the same as the Seasonic Platinum), possibly the Enermax Platimax, and that's about it.  The Seasonic X-series is really nice, so something that is only a little worse than it is still very good.

If you are overclocking, you might want to consider this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035

That's a higher wattage version of the same thing that you picked.  Seasonic has a bunch of power supplies come off their assembly line, then brands some as the X-series under their own name, while shipping others to Corsair to be branded as Corsair's AX series (except for the AX1200, which is something totally different).  It's also exactly the same size.  Modularity will help with space problems, too.

Shipping costs are real costs, too, so it's only $5 more than you picked before rebate--or $10 cheaper after rebate.

As for the power supplies that others linked:

The FSP Aurum Gold offers excellent energy efficiency, but other than that, it's a decent but not that great power supply.  If you already had one, there would be no need to rush out and replace it, but it's not a high end power supply at all.

As for the Thermaltake Smart, if a product or concept has to put the word "smart" in its name, then it probably isn't, as it's protesting too much.  The product itself is all right (and some of Thermaltake's power supplies are junk), but it's overpriced for what you get.

If you're willing to give up modularity and looking to save some money, I'd try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

That's a lot better than the Thermaltake Smart 730 W, and a lot cheaper, too.

Hey quiz thanks for replying. The case along with most of the items i linked are all brand new bought so i can indeed carry it around with me from place to place, it seems to be the best i can get with a handle and small form factor. I would like to over clock sometime in the future and will most likely go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139035

thanks again

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

In all honesty, gold silver and platinum labels make the owner more happy than the system they are put in to. A good +80% PSU with a low ripple and a 5 year warranty is the sweet spot, and I don't think you should pay premium for higher efficiency, lest you are looking at +1000Watts PSUs because you actually need such a PSU.

So the Seasonic M12 series, is basically the  same inside as the Corsair TX series, which are good and stable PSUs. The M12 is semimodular (the powercables to the mb is fixed, but you won't be doing without those anyway). The M12 has lower ripple than some gold series PSUs, and this is what it is all about, regarding the longterm benefits of the rest of the system. The +80% efficiency, which is the standard whereby they label bronze silver and gold, is at the end of the day a measurement of how much power you will draw, and thus a statement about your electrical bill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151106

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by SoSuMei

Originally posted by pirateshake
    I never actually looked at the newegg reveiws before, and I'm surprised that many people have had problems.  I remember reading a review on it last year some time and they had shown the PSU to hit efficiency in the silver range and have very little noise in the power. I myself never had a problem with the PSU but seeing that many unhappy people implies a pretty poor average. I apologize and retract my suggestion.
    Quizzical will surely be by with some suggestions anyhow.

Reviews on retailers sites have their place, but keep in mind a few things:

*) Many of those reviews are faked by shills. It happens, a lot. Companies get caught doing it ~all~ the time.

*) A person is much more inclined to put up a negative review than a positive review. If things are hunkey dorey, you typically don't think "Oh, let me go put in a positive review" (unless the product absolutely blows your mind). But if that same product is broken, the first thing most people (myself included, especially if I've had to fight with it to try to fix it) think of is "Imma make sure no one else buys this hunkapoo or anything else made by this crappy company"

*) There is no qualification for writing a review. There is a very good chance that the person writing the review, about the product you are investigating for purchase, knows even less about the product with it in their hands, than you do looking at it on the website. It's all just statements of opinion.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Customerreviews are by and large to be taken with a grain of salt. As we see most notably in games, where a kid gets owned by the first level boss, and promptly goes on the internet to give the stupid developers; 0 stars!

And the tendency carries on to hardware and all other aspects too, the thing works and get 5 stars, or there's a problem and the thing get 0 stars. Many of these costomers gets an RMA or a fix, and they jump from 0 to 5 stars right away. Peoples opinion basically lacks any nuance and is very emotional.

I understand what you guys are saying, personally i like to read reviews and use those in part with my own experiences, friends experiences and other fourms for review. Anyways the psus posted before quiz  imo were just not what i was looking for, and when it comes to power i really wasnt sure what i should be aiming for with this system. Power is the one thing that confuses me when it comes to builds. I did end up picking the AX6xx quiz suggested. Ive talked to him before about parts ect and he seems to know his stuff. Thanks again Quiz and everyone else who helped out

Originally posted by Barbarbar

In all honesty, gold silver and platinum labels make the owner more happy than the system they are put in to. A good +80% PSU with a low ripple and a 5 year warranty is the sweet spot, and I don't think you should pay premium for higher efficiency, lest you are looking at +1000Watts PSUs because you actually need such a PSU.

So the Seasonic M12 series, is basically the  same inside as the Corsair TX series, which are good and stable PSUs. The M12 is semimodular (the powercables to the mb is fixed, but you won't be doing without those anyway). The M12 has lower ripple than some gold series PSUs, and this is what it is all about, regarding the longterm benefits of the rest of the system. The +80% efficiency, which is the standard whereby they label bronze silver and gold, is at the end of the day a measurement of how much power you will draw, and thus a statement about your electrical bill.

Energy efficiency requirements are the only difference between the different 80 PLUS certification levels, but they're hardly the only difference between the power supplies.  So yes, you're correct that gold or platinum certification doesn't automatically mean a power supply is good.  The Antec EarthWatts Platinum is a decent power supply with excellent energy efficiency (and hence platinum certification), but there's otherwise nothing high end about it.  The ABS Majesty got gold certification, but is actually a rather bad power supply.

But you also have to look at the price tags.  The Seasonic M12II you recommend isn't much cheaper than the far superior Corsair AX before rebate, and is actually more expensive after rebate.  If you're going to pay enough to get a high end power supply, then you really ought to get a high end power supply.

Better energy efficiency means less heat, and that matters in smaller cases that may struggle to dissipate heat well enough.  The electrical bill isn't the only impact.

Also, I think you mean the Corsair TX V2 series.  The Corsair TX series is actually made by Channel Well, not Seasonic.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I like my Thermaltake Toughpower Grand PSU.  It's reliable, fairly quiet and runs cooler than my old Corsair PSU.  If you look into it, be sure that it's their Grand series, not just the plain jane Toughpower line.  One of the other things I like about it is that it has two dedicated 12V rails, not a single rail like many of the others.  This will give you a much more reliable distribution of power for high end components.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Barbarbar

Energy efficiency requirements are the only difference between the different 80 PLUS certification levels, but they're hardly the only difference between the power supplies.  So yes, you're correct that gold or platinum certification doesn't automatically mean a power supply is good.  The Antec EarthWatts Platinum is a decent power supply with excellent energy efficiency (and hence platinum certification), but there's otherwise nothing high end about it.  The ABS Majesty got gold certification, but is actually a rather bad power supply.

But you also have to look at the price tags.  The Seasonic M12II you recommend isn't much cheaper than the far superior Corsair AX before rebate, and is actually more expensive after rebate.  If you're going to pay enough to get a high end power supply, then you really ought to get a high end power supply.

Better energy efficiency means less heat, and that matters in smaller cases that may struggle to dissipate heat well enough.  The electrical bill isn't the only impact.

Also, I think you mean the Corsair TX V2 series.  The Corsair TX series is actually made by Channel Well, not Seasonic.

"far superior Corsair AX"   <- and that is exactly what I would use.     Fully modular being the key point in a small case (just my opinion).   Then again I'm bias because all I use now are Corsair AX series... simply because I get sick of cable clutter.. especially cables I'm not using or can't manage properly because they are hard wired on one end.   Along with the fact the AX retains the large single 12v rail (some modular psu's use multiple smaller amp-rated 12v rails which I'm not a fan of).    *note* Multiple rails are fine if you actually bother to balance your load between them.   It just means more work on your end or overloading one of the smaller rails.

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I like my Thermaltake Toughpower Grand PSU.  It's reliable, fairly quiet and runs cooler than my old Corsair PSU.  If you look into it, be sure that it's their Grand series, not just the plain jane Toughpower line.  One of the other things I like about it is that it has two dedicated 12V rails, not a single rail like many of the others.  This will give you a much more reliable distribution of power for high end components.

I actually prefer single rail power supplies.

A lot depends on how it is implemented.  If you've got 6 +12 V rails rated at 10 A each, and are claiming that all together, you can get 60 A on the +12 V rails, you've got a big problem.  I've you've got 4 +12 V rails rated at 30 A each and are claiming that all together, they can output 60 A, and the rails are split by CPU on one rail, motherboard on one rail, and everything else split evenly between the last two rails (e.g., a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin PCI-E connector on each of the last two rails), then there aren't really the drawbacks.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    A lot depends on how it is implemented.  If you've got 6 +12 V rails rated at 10 A each, and are claiming that all together, you can get 60 A on the +12 V rails, you've got a big problem.  I've you've got 4 +12 V rails rated at 30 A each and are claiming that all together, they can output 60 A, and the rails are split by CPU on one rail, motherboard on one rail, and everything else split evenly between the last two rails (e.g., a 6-pin and a 6+2-pin PCI-E connector on each of the last two rails), then there aren't really the drawbacks.

Yes, but there is never any question about a single rail. There's the output specification, and the one rail to carry it. No need to do math, or try to figure out why 4x30A rails = 60A total.

Split rail power supplies can work, it's just that it's a lot easier for shady manufacturers to get away with shady practices, like the 60A power supply with 6x10A rails. I'm very glad to see that power supply manufacturers, for the most part, have drifted back to single rail designs.