Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tribes Ascend is my new game addiction

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Never had so much fun in a FPS since Unreal Tornament 1.0 - heavily skill based and a fair Freemium model.

Now in open beta, I would say go and get it now but the severs and website's just went off line and booted me out of the game.... getting withdrawal already image

Use's a similar freemuim system to LoL, i.e you can buy classes or unlock them buy spending XP earned in game.

Comments

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

I think Tribes Ascend is better then the previous part, but as old Tribes 2 fan it feels a bit too dumbed down. I am used to using vehicles whenever I want, to have team vehicles (one person drives, other shots), to have custom loadouts, etc, but they had to remove all that to be able to make money with the game.

Personally I'll keep playing Tribes 2 as long as they aren't able to provide Tribes Asecnd players as mich freedom and fun as the real thing. For me better game player beats better graphics, at least in this case. If you don't know Tribes 2, it can't hurt to try Ascend and then move to the real thing (;

LFG!
  • 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Ive only ever played one Tribes game I think it was Tribes 2. It was fun I just didnt like how you could fly sooo far across the map. And certain weapons seemed overpowered
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I been having fun to but still cant wait for PS2 and Dust 514 myself and of coruse Firefall I like the open worlds to matched based games but like the way you gain rank and get point to unlock stuff. Reminds me of MAG on PS3 in a way but alot faster gameplay.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Bored with it already. Pub matches are pointless as no one works as a team in say CTF. They go after the generators and let the flag catchers win with no effort.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Altho, ya'll should keep in mind that it will take a freemium player a LONG time to get even 1 weapon upgrade (and yeah, upgrade weapon do more damage)

considering you rack around 200-800xp per match (depending on how well you do) and not counting "first win of the day bonus" cheapest upgrade weapon is 42k xp up to 100k xp

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by eHug

I think Tribes Ascend is better then the previous part, but as old Tribes 2 fan it feels a bit too dumbed down. I am used to using vehicles whenever I want, to have team vehicles (one person drives, other shots), to have custom loadouts, etc, but they had to remove all that to be able to make money with the game.

Personally I'll keep playing Tribes 2 as long as they aren't able to provide Tribes Asecnd players as mich freedom and fun as the real thing. For me better game player beats better graphics, at least in this case. If you don't know Tribes 2, it can't hurt to try Ascend and then move to the real thing (;

Have you played it lately (big patch last week)? they have given us more customise options, not to the extent of Tribes 2 but they have listened to the players.  The hover bike is 2 person (passenger can shot) and theirs a 4/5man bomber in the game files, not in the game yet though. But for a F2P play with no real Pay2Win advantages it's good to have it installed for though rainy evenings.

Originally posted by Fusion

Altho, ya'll should keep in mind that it will take a freemium player a LONG time to get even 1 weapon upgrade (and yeah, upgrade weapon do more damage)

considering you rack around 200-800xp per match (depending on how well you do) and not counting "first win of the day bonus" cheapest upgrade weapon is 42k xp up to 100k xp

No! upgraded weapons do not do more damage, upgrades for weapons include ammo and reload times, some nads get +% radius increase but a non upgraded spinfusor does the same direct damage as a fully upgraded spinfusor.

There are also no "better" weapons in this game - all weapons are side-grades with advantages and disadvantages, standard motor does more damage than the "other" mortor that costs 100,000xp but the "other mortor splits into smaller mortors in mid giving it more spread but does does less damage, it also travels slower.  so spending 100,000xp does not give you a better wepaons, just a different weapons.

Sure there might be a degree of balancing left to do but over all it's looking good.

Originally posted by expresso

No! upgraded weapons do not do more damage, upgrades for weapons include ammo and reload times, some nads get +% radius increase but a non upgraded spinfusor does the same direct damage as a fully upgraded spinfusor.

There are also no "better" weapons in this game - all weapons are side-grades with advantages and disadvantages, standard motor does more damage than the "other" mortor that costs 100,000xp but the "other mortor splits into smaller mortors in mid giving it more spread but does does less damage, it also travels slower.  so spending 100,000xp does not give you a better wepaons, just a different weapons.

Sure there might be a degree of balancing left to do but over all it's looking good.

Let us take Pathfinder for an example.

spinfusor = 700dmg on a direct hit "with slow velocity and straight flight patch"

boltcaster (42k xp weapon) = 900dmg on a direct hit "with fast velocity and arcing flight path" (which light classes have health IF upgraded with yet more xp)

explain how the latter is worse than the first? ps. both are AOE weapons

FYI: i have the boltcaster with xp grinding and i can say it's WAY better than the spinfusor and i'll never go back to the fusor again, because it's way worse.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Never had so much fun in a FPS since Unreal Tornament 1.0 - heavily skill based and a fair Freemium model.

Now in open beta, I would say go and get it now but the severs and website's just went off line and booted me out of the game.... getting withdrawal already image

Use's a similar freemuim system to LoL, i.e you can buy classes or unlock them buy spending XP earned in game.

I am in beta for ages now.

Its an excellent game, but i must say i just dont dig it.

Its very very skill based game. And skilled players will have definite upper hand.

Also its is based on constant need of movement. You stop for a second and you are dead.

UT1 or Quake Arena , is probably good comparison.

Or lets say playing TF2 scout all the time.

It will surely be huge hit by many players.

But not me i guess

It certainly is quite hectic and you do die pretty fast if you stop (you die fast even if you keep moving :D )

I personally cant play more than 4-6 matches on row, then i need to quit the game and pause, it's that hectic :D

• Really looking forward to this game. It looks ace. I have a beta invite but I'm waiting until it's done. I loved the old games and the new one looks true to formula.

Let us take Pathfinder for an example.

spinfusor = 700dmg on a direct hit "with slow velocity and straight flight patch"

boltcaster (42k xp weapon) = 900dmg on a direct hit "with fast velocity and arcing flight path" (which light classes have health IF upgraded with yet more xp)

explain how the latter is worse than the first? ps. both are AOE weapons

FYI: i have the boltcaster with xp grinding and i can say it's WAY better than the spinfusor and i'll never go back to the fusor again, because it's way worse.

They're different wepaons, not better, spinfuser has a longer range than the boltcaster and as you said the boltcaster has fall off while the spinfuser does not.. again all better and worse in different situations.  The boltcaster might do a little more dmg but that just balance to make each weapon desirable.  I would not try and take down turrents from range with a boltcaster and I would rather a boltcaster in close quaters.

As to the Health the xp needed for that you can earn in a handful of matches.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I've been playing this since the original closed beta, and it is really fun. They completely changed the class system which I thought was a large overhaul to just pump out real quick, changing it from something like 16 classes down to 8 or something like that with the upgradeable guns and armor and such instead of the original trees of upgrading. I have earned close to 200k exp just playing casually, it's definately not hard whatsoever to earn exp. Plus if you know what you are doing, you can pretty much kill any class. Skill based shooters are awesome.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I love this game personally.  There is no wipe after the beta is over either, so I recommend checking it out.  You can friend me as "Paragus" if you want to stalk me as I play regularly.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

My biggest gripe with it the lack of map variety.  I know Tribes is all about skiing, but it really limits how much they can do, when they have to make every map to accomodate it.  I'm fine with some skiing, but I do get sick of needing to do it everywhere, all the time.

Not counting the arenas.. which I don't really get, either.  DM_Morpheus was great now and then, but I don't understand the lack of variety there, either.  You go from all skying, to maps where its almost impossible to ski, and there's just as much lack of variety.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.