Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this is possibly the ultimate sandbox game to ever graced mmorpg.

Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

Finally, this is possibly the ultimate sandbox mmorpg to ever lived amazing game.

:p its what all the sandbox players wanted. ground battle, sieges, your own castle, house, naval battles, and epic monsters such as the kraken is in game.

the features in this game is mind boggling, This game is better then darkfall, and mortal online for sure.

:)

Comments

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I often wonder what people are thinking when they create threads like this.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Ya techincally it's a sandbox/themepark hybrid. 

That right there proves it won't be the ultimate sandbox. If it manages the best of both instead of the worst of both we certainly might see a damn good game.

You stay sassy!

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by Tamanous

Ya techincally it's a sandbox/themepark hybrid. 

That right there proves it won't be the ultimate sandbox. If it manages the best of both instead of the worst of both we certainly might see a damn good game.

yea...def would not call this a true sandbox at all

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by psyknx

I often wonder what people are thinking when they create threads like this.

I don't think they are. It's purely emotional

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I envy the OP. I wish I could get this excited about upcoming games again. Sadly, reality has beaten me about the head and face with the out-of-nowhere comedy hammer space gag mallet of disappointment too many times.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Quoted from the ArcheAge wikipedia page :

The developers promise a community like that of Ultima Online, PvE comparable to typical sandboxes and PvP taken from Lineage 2. The game itself is developed as a “sandbox” – where the player is completely free to choose what to do and how to live. Expanding on this, characters won't be subject to strict limitations on growth, such as is the case in other MMOs....The game's designers want players to have a big impact on the world; each server will be unique due to players developing their world’s history and exploring the map in different directions.

Not a pure sandbox you say?

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Charas

The developers promise a community like that of Ultima Online, PvE comparable to typical sandboxes and PvP taken from Lineage 2. The game itself is developed as a “sandbox” – where the player is completely free to choose what to do and how to live. Expanding on this, characters won't be subject to strict limitations on growth, such as is the case in other MMOs....The game's designers want players to have a big impact on the world; each server will be unique due to players developing their world’s history and exploring the map in different directions.

A pure sandbox? Nope, definitely not. It's a sandpark...ok see.. A community like UO: doesn't have to do anything with sandbox or themepark imo. It's just a community of a MMO, I am really sure that WoW/Rift RP servers also have great communities.

About PvE: AA features an open-world PvE, this doesn't have to do straight with sandbox. I mean see EQ2 or Ryzom's system. Players are able to create their own dungeons (instanced), add their mechanics and then play then witm guild/friends...I think this is pure sandbox PvE.

Also, about the completely free to choose what to do and how to live.. It does't tell me anything. Someone who plays a themepark MMO, he may choose whatever he wants. He can PvP, go out on the (limited) open world pvp areas, do BGs, do arenas etc, he can PvE in many ways, he can craft, he can go out do quests and learn the lore, harvest/gather material, become a collector or an achiever, go to player pubs and socialice, to RP.. etc etc.. There are also unlimited possibilites, developers can make unlimited rails and players may choose which one to get..

Well anyway, AA definitely is not a pure sandbox MMO, and to end the thread I will quote what Jake Song (creator of ArcheAge) said: "ArcheAge is going to be 50% sandbox and 50% themepark. Condering WoW is at 10% and Ultima Online at 100%"

(can't find that interview for now, searching..)

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Limited "large scale" sieges to max 50 x 50.  Sounds very themeparkish.

No housing everywhere.  No castles everywhere you like but just on the 3rd continent etc...

Archage has some limitations but that said the features are really impressive.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Promises and reality are two different things (and this is coming from somebody who is *very* excited about AA and what it looks like it will offer).

From what has been seen in CBT, there is a quest system (a pretty standard one at that)... and I've seen videos of cutscenes with VA (so, presumably there is a storyline of some kind). Finally, it looks like there will be specific times for sieges (weekends), caps on the number of participants, and conditions that need to be met for participating (a mob drop). So, I do think calling it a hybrid isn't a total misnomer. However, considering the open-endedness and highly freeform way players can interact with the world, I think calling it a sandbox with some themepark flavor is more accurate. I think the devs are trying to make sure there is just enough rails to guide and help out players who are more accustomed to stuff like WoW, but the actual meat of the game will be heavily slanted towards the sandbox side of things. Just an observation....

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

AA will be mostly sandbox with a spaslh of thempark. the reason being that there is no room anymore for a pure sandbox game.

AA looks like the game ive been looking for since shadowbane, but i have learned to not be over excited about games anymore till i get my hands on them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by grafh

AA will be mostly sandbox with a spaslh of thempark. the reason being that there is no room anymore for a pure sandbox game.

AA looks like the game ive been looking for since shadowbane, but i have learned to not be over excited about games anymore till i get my hands on them.

Naw, it will be about a 50/50 split as mentioned previously.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Just like aion finally brige the gap and deliverd a game that satisfied both western and eastern players.

From what i can see with this game...it seems to really appeal to people who think sandboxes are any game that provide player housing/player building...and who only want pvp optional and consentual. 

Really the more i read the less i think this is a sandbox.

Also...i like the "no room for a pure sandbox" comment...yeah people are just clammoring for more themeparks....

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

The ultimate sandbox games are already out there, most of the supposed sandbox lovers here won't touch them though.

Originally posted by grafh

Oh really? No doubt before 2004 you would have said MMORPGs were a niche genre and would never make it big, right?

Never say never, that's one thing I learned watching a James Bond flick. You never know what might happen next.

Imagine if ArcheAge is a huge success, what then? Sandboxes would be in fashion again and bam, just like that, all the big cats start producing AAA sandboxes, some themeboxes, some sandparks but surely also some pure sandboxes.

Originally posted by Kabaal

The ultimate sandbox games are already out there, most of the supposed sandbox lovers here won't touch them though.

Yeah because they're all either 10+ years old or super low budget with more bugs than SWG at release. Eve is the only exception but personally I'm not into space games.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

ArcheAge is a sandbox game. Just because its not what YOU call a true sandbox game does not make it not one. This will be the ultimate sandbox game and I am waiting for it.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Well,full sandbox,half sandbox,or no sandbox..

This game looks fun to me.Just watching videos of all the random stuff you can do is just....refreshing.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

This forum will argue until the end of time over the definition of sandbox. See the latest video of underwater farming? If you can build houses underwater that would be hillarious. http://archeage-online.com/ video 6

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

There are definitely numerous varied opinions on what a “sandbox” MMORPG truly is. What is the most commonly accepted concept? Is there an “official” definition somewhere?

For example some people believe that a sandbox MMORPG is all about harsh and punishing gameplay; some people think that it’s all about free-for-all world pvp, including full loot etc; others will say that it’s about exploration, and being able to build houses and towns etc. The list goes on.

I have always been under the impression that a sandbox is simply an MMORPG that gives the player more freedom, providing a less linear, more open-ended gaming experience; so all of the above could potentially be inclusive. Going by this, having more traditional “themepark” features wouldn’t necessarily make it any less sandbox.

I can see why people would call ArcheAge a sandbox-themepark hybrid, but if my aforementioned definition is accurate, then surely having traditional themepark features ironically makes the game even more sandbox?

I am probably missing something, but food for thought.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

Buildings houses, fighting for your stake in the world with your clan, ship building, farming, castle building, sieges.. I said it many times before and I'll say it again.. this is THE GREATEST mmorpg EVER MADE EVER in the history of mmorpgs ever made ever..EVER.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I remmeber when I heard of Shadowbane I thought it would be the ultimate game.  After playing a good portion of its 3 year beta I realized I was wrong.

When I heard about Darkfall in 2002 I thought it was going to be the greatest game.  Around 2005 I gave up on it. 1 day of playing its beta confirmed i was correct.

Mourning was going to be the ultimate game as well. So was Wish and  Dark and Light.

There were a few other games and they also failed miserably.

The only game that even came close to living up to its hype was vanguard.  Unfortunately SOE killed it.

I don't expect much from Sandbox games.  But AA might be different in that has the oppurtunity to release in the east 1st where it will be played by more patient and mature players who will have more realistic expectations.  By the time it releases int he west 1 or 2 years later it should be a much better and more polished game.  But even if it fails to appeal to the ADHD western gamers not all is lost as it still can survive on its income from the East. IMO AA has a real chance, much more than any of the sandbox games we have seen in the past.

• kokopuffkokopuff Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by rounner

This forum will argue until the end of time over the definition of sandbox. See the latest video of underwater farming? If you can build houses underwater that would be hillarious. http://archeage-online.com/ video 6

Underwater caves with castle sieges possible, could see as a future addon too.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I can't wait to see what people will say after this is live. So much hope in a game that look... average at best.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the fact you can 'create' your own 'template' etc, is neat, but we've seen this kind of thing with Rift already, otherwise it looks pretty much like a regular themepark game, levels etc, not sure where the sandbox elements come in tbh. maybe once the game releases we'll see some indication of 'sandpark' but for me, it really just looks like another regular themepark game, not a bad thing in itself really, and it does look like it has possibilities.image

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Phry

the fact you can 'create' your own 'template' etc, is neat, but we've seen this kind of thing with Rift already, otherwise it looks pretty much like a regular themepark game, levels etc, not sure where the sandbox elements come in tbh. maybe once the game releases we'll see some indication of 'sandpark' but for me, it really just looks like another regular themepark game, not a bad thing in itself really, and it does look like it has possibilities.image

Probaly coz you only seen the "themepark" section of the game, thing is, theres a big open ended  themepark section, the basic stuff were you do quest but in a less linair way then most themeparks as you can just travel around and do them wereever you like, tho its recoment to do lvl 1-20 in the direction sugested since you get all the basic stuff from it, a small house,a glider, a mount, the basic game into about fighting and farming (farming as in trees,pigs,sheep,flowers)

the sandbox element is that even in the pve part of the game you can build your house, do youre stuff how you like it. or you can move on to the "sandbox" lands of the game and build a castle of youre own design,a villiage, claim the land, do pvp, build a ship a raid coastal settlements.

Archeage is far closer to the old SWG design then to the WoW design and asfar gameplay elements/mechanics it already seems to offer far more ways to play the game then anygame that came before it.

/shrug, as always its a wait and see thing .. aint like they going to release in US/EU  anytime soon anyway.