Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now I realize what's missing... -Sprinting!

PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Now I realize what's missing from all the GW2 gameplay videos I've seen... -Sprinting!

Really, aren't they going to add this to the game? It's one of the things I loved in WAR and which added another dimension to combat - short bursts of speed that eat up your energy.

Moving around at constant speed does bore me slightly nowadays, like I'm running on a treadmill.

With the way dodging mechanic works now, sprinting could be added easily and in a balanced fashion because it could draw from the same energy pool as dodging does.. This way you could use it either for charging (but then you use up energy for defensive dodging - you commit yourself to offense) or trying to run away (also preventing you from dodging - you panic and just try to distance yourself from the foe).

What do you think? Is there time to add sprinting yet? I've grown so used to it it's almost like jumping for me in terms of realistic character movement.

Comments

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Now I realize what's missing from all the GW2 gameplay videos I've seen... -Sprinting!

Really, aren't they going to add this to the game? It's one of the things I loved in WAR and which added another dimension to combat - short bursts of speed that eat up your energy.

Moving around at constant speed does bore me slightly nowadays, like I'm running on a treadmill.

With the way dodging mechanic works now, sprinting could be added easily and in a balanced fashion because it could draw from the same energy pool as dodging does.. This way you could use it either for charging (but then you use up energy for defensive dodging - you commit yourself to offense) or trying to run away (also preventing you from dodging - you panic and just try to distance yourself from the foe).

What do you think? Is there time to add sprinting yet? I've grown so used to it it's almost like jumping for me in terms of realistic character movement.

There's sprinting in city's :p

anyway, you can leap in combat, who needs sprinting :p

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Nah. To fit in with their no mounts/teleport travel, they should instead give everyone personal short range teleporters similar to the blink spell from Wow.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

You're idea of sprinting does seem interesting, however then what would be the point of all the skills, every profession gets that grants "Swiftness". There is also another thing, where in WvW, guilds are supposed to earn the ability to sprint across their territory, through Castle and Keep upgrade. Simply adding sprint to the game would throw these things out of balance, by making them unnesessary, even if the sprint function is only available out of combat.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Master10K

You're idea of sprinting does seem interesting, however then what would be the point of all the skills, every profession gets that grants "Swiftness". There is also another thing, where in WvW, guilds are supposed to earn the ability to sprint across their territory, through Castle and Keep upgrade. Simply adding sprint to the game would throw these things out of balance, by making them unnesessary, even if the sprint function is only available out of combat.

Yeah, I gather that there are abilities that grant you speed increase, but imo it still should be in as a basic ability like dodging...

There is a difference in feel between having a special skill that grants you this ability and having it as an integral part of what every character can do. It's about the feeling of having a freedom of movement with your avatar... Just like in RL I can jump and dodge to the side, so I can run a little bit faster If I'm willing to go out of breath..

And besides, it's proven to be quite enjoyable and exploit-free in WAR so...

It's a special feeling in PvP when you're approaching the fight and you know your buddies are having a hard time. And you really REALLY want to be there as soon as possible.. And people around you all press that "sprint" button for that few second's last charge, buning their AP's just to make these few precious seconds.

IMO they really should put it in there, if it's at all possible at this point.

• vojkan95vojkan95 Member Posts: 104

i saw sprinting at black cidatel - main city of char .

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by vojkan95

Yeah, in every major city there are NPCs that give you the "Swiftness" buff that seems to last for about 5mins (I think).

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by vojkan95

Yeah, in every major city there are NPCs that give you the "Swiftness" buff that seems to last for about 5mins (I think).

This is really not what I'm talking about. Like at all.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Well if its like Guild Wars the character is basically always moving pretty briskly.  You can see Charr videos when they run they go down on all fours.  It doesn't seem awkwardly slow because players move fast.  I think they move faster than almost any MMO i've played with standard running speed.  I wouldn't be too concerned with this.  I never felt like movement speed was an issue like I have in some games.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You mean a sprinting mechanic like in Skyrim, right? Faster movement, but drawing on one of your resources? 

What would be the gap this mechanic would fill, that none of the other movement mechanics already do?

Originally posted by ProfRed

Well if its like Guild Wars the character is basically always moving pretty briskly.  You can see Charr videos when they run they go down on all fours.  It doesn't seem awkwardly slow because players move fast.  I think they move faster than almost any MMO i've played with standard running speed.  I wouldn't be too concerned with this.  I never felt like movement speed was an issue like I have in some games.

Again, it's not about the speed of the character as such, but about the control you have over your avatar. GW1 didn't have jumping and people rightfully said that it is not needed in the game.. but still, the feeling of being there and having control over your character was so diminished that many people simply refused to play it, just because of not being able to jump.

While sprinting isn't as big as jumping, I've quite grown used to it in WAR and I can say it does give you that extra feeling of involvement with your character AND it adds a bit of tactical choice in fights.

And besides, the energy pool is, at the moment, used only for dodging. It is a remnant from an older system where all skills drew from that same pool. I find it weird that a whole bar is used for only one, highly situational action - dodging. It would make much more sense if it was used for similar basic movement mechanics  such as jumping and, yes, sprinting. At the moment it looks just like some kind of atavistic feature, a remnant of evolution like an appendix or tonsils in a human.

Tie dodging, jumping and sprinting to the same bar and you'll have an elegant system conductive to skillfull play and you'll get rid of bunny hopping to boot.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Yeah, they could have added a sprint mechanics that drains the dodge stamina or something.

It might not be a huge deal but I like sprinting in my MMOs. But I do know that you use a skill slot for it in the first game so I am not really surprised.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Adding sprinting to the game is a nice idea. Sprinting mechanic would consume dodge energy bar. This way that bar wouldn't have only one purpose.

edit: oops others already said that sry. sometimes I don't read.

• WreckoniingWreckoniing Member UncommonPosts: 279

this has to be one of the most well though out awesome additions that would help gw2, unlike people who are just screaming out for mounts.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

I wouldn't mind sprinting like it is done in Age of Conan. I wouldn't like to see it done like TOR with the sith inquistors sprint away crap.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I would like sprinting to. The swiftness buff can stay and still be usefull. Sprinting gives you +50% speed increase while Swiftness gives you 100% ..Together 150% lol

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by dbstylin34

this has to be one of the most well though out awesome additions that would help gw2, unlike people who are just screaming out for mounts.

Agreed.

It'd also help the grind in timesinks.

But if I'm correct there is ways to give your self sprint, like rocketboots, warhorn, and other things, but yea the length.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

I heard in the BFF Report nº 100 that dodging is faster than walking, so in essence if you dodge forwards you move faster than walking. 

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Playing devil's advocate here, I don't know about Sprinting.

For one thing. if you have sprinting that drains the same energy used for dodging, it seems like people would need to make a decision everytime they enter combat.  Should they start running before engaging, or engage knowing that dodging would limit their ability to escape.

Being that both players have sprint, it doesn't necessarily help anything in terms of escape.  Everyone just covers more ground during the escape.  Or it makes it harder for the pursuer to hit the person being chased with any abilities (especially ground based ones) which I don't think would be much fun.

Every class has access to Swiftness (no Mesmer listed here but my guess is that the wiki isn't updated)  http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swiftness

Classes also have a lot of abilities to close the gap or to pull enemies towards you

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leap

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pull

So I think people have a lot of options when it comes to mobility and positioning.

Keep in mind too that backup weapons/attunements/toolkits offer a lot of flexibility.  A warrior could have a warhorn as part of their backup weapon set for the swiftness buff with only limited impact on their primary play.

You do also run faster with weapons sheathed, which I know isn't what you're talking about, but it does provide a more realistic sprinting (running with scissors is bad enough, much less daggers, swords and axes, lol)

I'm not saying the idea isn't without merit, but this particular game wasn't designed with that kind of sprinting in mind and I don't think it's as simple as just adding it because it will affect everything else.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I prefer it when games have these kinds of mechanics NOT just because you can get place to place faster...

...but rather...

I like to feel like my character IS an actual person, and would have the basic abilities that any humanoid life form would have.  To sprint, jump, crouch, kneel, climb, etc.

How often has THIS been the case in an MMO in the past:

"Uh oh.  I've got a dozen mobs after me... TRAIN TO ZONE!  Hum de dum de dum, I sure enjoy trying to escape certain death by jogging at the same rate I would to go from the bank to the auction house... oh noes!  There's a 2 foot fence blocking me and I can't jump!  Haaaaaaalp!!!"

I mean, I know that devs don't want you to just be able to run away from a losing fight with the greatest of ease, but there has to be a way to make that possible even with more realistic character movement.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Sprinting was only in select classes in WAR, White Lion and Marauder (1 class for each faction) if I remember correctly. All the classes had Flee but was mostly useless in combat unless you wanted to run away. GW2 doesn't need sprinting in combat cause from what I've seen there is much less CC compared to cookie cutter MMOs. As for traveling there is teleportation, so I see no reason for sprinting at all.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Again, it's not about the speed of the character as such, but about the control you have over your avatar. GW1 didn't have jumping and people rightfully said that it is not needed in the game.. but still, the feeling of being there and having control over your character was so diminished that many people simply refused to play it, just because of not being able to jump.

While sprinting isn't as big as jumping, I've quite grown used to it in WAR and I can say it does give you that extra feeling of involvement with your character AND it adds a bit of tactical choice in fights.

And besides, the energy pool is, at the moment, used only for dodging. It is a remnant from an older system where all skills drew from that same pool. I find it weird that a whole bar is used for only one, highly situational action - dodging. It would make much more sense if it was used for similar basic movement mechanics  such as jumping and, yes, sprinting. At the moment it looks just like some kind of atavistic feature, a remnant of evolution like an appendix or tonsils in a human.

Tie dodging, jumping and sprinting to the same bar and you'll have an elegant system conductive to skillfull play and you'll get rid of bunny hopping to boot.

EXACTLY.  You can't get me to /facepalm any quicker than when your avatar comes across an obstacle that WOULDN'T EVEN BE an obstacle for the average person.  In AoC... I think it's the purple lotus swamps, a crafting zone, there are ladders about 10 feet high that you can't climb unless you have a skill of 200 or higher.  I mean sure, in Tortage there's a 100 foot pillar with tiny footholds that you can climb down with like 50 in climb, but NO... ladders are WAY TOO COMPLEX for your noob hands to comprehend...

Even worse in other games, where you can't climb a ladder at all.

I understand that some stuff is just intended for decor.  But the more something absurdly insignificant poses as an obstacle for your toon, the more frustrated and annoyed I get.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I would like a non-combat sprint, a good 5-10 sec or so, would be nice.

Originally posted by revy66

Sprinting was only in select classes in WAR, White Lion and Marauder (1 class for each faction) if I remember correctly. All the classes had Flee but was mostly useless in combat unless you wanted to run away. GW2 doesn't need sprinting in combat cause from what I've seen there is much less CC compared to cookie cutter MMOs. As for traveling there is teleportation, so I see no reason for sprinting at all.

Nope, all classes had sprinting. It was a basic ability,  like jumping, and which ate up you Action Points. So each time you sprinted you decreased your action potential. It was a cool mechanic actually... When you were in a safe location like a city you sprinted as often as you could because there wasn't any danger around so who cares about APs. In action, both PvE and PvP it became another tactical decision - sprint to save your buddy at the verge of death but then risk being out of APs at the critical moment? Try to fight on with your last APs or burn them for a mad dash to freedom? It really added something to the gameplay.

Imo it would fit right in with the way dodging works in GW2.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

What purpose would Sprint serve that isn't already covered by Dodging and Swiftness?

Adding gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks is not good design.

Nope, all classes had sprinting. It was a basic ability,  like jumping, and which ate up you Action Points. So each time you sprinted you decreased your action potential. It was a cool mechanic actually... When you were in a safe location like a city you sprinted as often as you could because there wasn't any danger around so who cares about APs. In action, both PvE and PvP it became another tactical decision - sprint to save your buddy at the verge of death but then risk being out of APs at the critical moment? Try to fight on with your last APs or burn them for a mad dash to freedom? It really added something to the gameplay.

When was this implemented? I played for a while after it came out and there was no such feature. There was Flee and Charge, nothing else.

Originally posted by fundayz

What purpose would Sprint serve that isn't already covered by Dodging and Swiftness?

Adding gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks is not good design.

When was this implemented? I played for a while after it came out and there was no such feature. There was Flee and Charge, nothing else.

I mean the devs might have called the ability "flee" but it actually had much more uses. Especially in "burning APs to be there in the nick of time and risk everything on a single blow" type of situation I described above. It really tended to have your heart pounding I tell you. You mean you never used it for any other purpose? Jeez, it was probably the most used button on my bar when I played WAR and I tell you... I didn't use it just for fleeing.. probably not at all (A kamikaze build Swordmaster DOES NOT FLEE!)

And no, it's not a "gimmicky" mechanic, definitely. It has a very clear set of unique features and functions that differentiate it from what is already available in the game.

1) It would be tied to the dodge energy pool which would solve the problem of that bar being a one trick pony. At the moment they could put dodging on cooldown like everything else and no one would know the difference.

2) It would be available to all classes, a basic ability like jumping which does not take space in your skill bar

3) It would have massive trade offs in that it would prevent you from dodging if you overuse it

4) It would be universally useful, unlike dodging. You could use it to traverse cities faster, for example. It could be used both for offense or defense or just moving around faster.

5) It feels natural to be able to sprint if you're a humanoid being with four limbs and a head. Just like jumping does. It's not like a special "move" that you need to learn and perfect. It's like running for a bus.. and running out of breath, you know.