Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Game Prices (and other rants)

2»

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I dont buy digital games, I prefer the box and disc, plus I feel ripped off if I bought the digital version. Having the box I can resell later, Box versions are also becoming rarer and will make my collection of boxed games go up in value.  I only buy what I want to play unlike some people who will buy games for the sake of buying them because they got dragged in by the media or other form of advertising.  Prices have been steady around the £40 mark for a long time now in the UK for pc games with their console versions always £10 - £20 more.  I can even remember Nintendo 64 and Mega Drive games selling around the £40 mark when the market for them was around, I even paid £60 for Street Fighter Turbo Edition that came in a metal box, and that was around 20 yrs ago, hate to think how much that is in todays market.  Collectors editions though, there not so special anymore, anyone these days paying out for them are a bit of a fool tbh.

• simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173

My quick rant about a rant

"The Developers nowadays seem to think any game they make is really worth the $60 price tag."

So wrong on so many levels - pricing is nothing to do with the developers - the issue is the publishers, i wish people would get this right.  Developers are usually made up of large groups of people who love video games.  Publishers are the people with all the money and pay for the development and 9/10 rip out half the game to fill their needs and give unrealistic deadlines to meet often destroying the game in the process.  It is the publishers with the $$ in their eyes.

However the overal point the OP is making is spot on and prices are extremely high

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Warmaker

Skyrim - An anomaly being $59 USD and not with a huge publisher like EA / Activision

Zenimax (owners of Bethesda & iD software) may not be as big a publisher as EA/Activision but they are in no means a small publisher.. And ironically because its so small it probably has the most integrity left....

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

I'll pay $40 for a AAA game and no more, and that game will have to be ^%$#&*( great to get my $40. I have been burned by to many crap games in the past 3 years to ever pay more than $40 again. I ahve not seen a single game since EQ that was worth more than 40$

For me a great game is not in the graphics but the game play itself. To many game companies are skimping on actual game design and putting way to much effort in graphics so games that are coming out are feature poor, storyline drab, blah blah blah

Certainly nothing in the past 2 years was worth more than $40it that much. There are way to many FREE MMOs out now to bother paying $60 for a new title that isn't going to be any better.

In my opinion games like WOW should not be chargeing for expansions at all. Any game with a sub should put out expansions for free. Expansions should be used as a way to ensure you keep your sub base renewing.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760