Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine if

Hello all!

This is my first post ever  so bear with my newbie approach image

I took inspiration in this  after trying TERA in CB events  and also by following the development of Archeage.

Imagine if they would port Age of Conan into UnrealEngine3 or CryEngine3.

Imagine the beauty and functionality of a seamless world in this game!

Now some of you might say that this is the least of issues in AOC, nevertheless you can not overlook that many of the flaws of it

can be contributed to the game engine of Funcom.

So what do you think? image

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Until today many people can't run this on dx10 maxed (dx10 is lame anyway)

You are suggesting a graphical update? xD

Alas, the zoned world was not what killed AoC long ago

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• excaliber37excaliber37 Member Posts: 3

Yes in a way you could say also graphics update.

I have read in the past claims that the graphics are so intense they simply could not implement a seamless world due to the engine limitations.Still i can not hide the fact that i am amazed on how TERA (1y old game) has so nice graphics(art style is not the issue here) and manages to perform so good!

Should not Funcome adopt a different approach if they wanted to turn around the tide for a game with so much potentials?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It would make the game better but it still need to fix/balance PvP, sieging and the terrible UI.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by excaliber37

Yes in a way you could say also graphics update.

I have read in the past claims that the graphics are so intense they simply could not implement a seamless world due to the engine limitations.Still i can not hide the fact that i am amazed on how TERA (1y old game) has so nice graphics(art style is not the issue here) and manages to perform so good!

Should not Funcome adopt a different approach if they wanted to turn around the tide for a game with so much potentials?

TERA is using a better more efficient engine and I would say also better coded. Even Aion is much less zoned than AoC and looks almost as good.

CryEngine, Unreal Engine and Dreamworld Engine... which of these three doesn't belong there?

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by excaliber37

Hello all!

This is my first post ever  so bear with my newbie approach image

I took inspiration in this  after trying TERA in CB events  and also by following the development of Archeage.

Imagine if they would port Age of Conan into UnrealEngine3 or CryEngine3.

Imagine the beauty and functionality of a seamless world in this game!

Now some of you might say that this is the least of issues in AOC, nevertheless you can not overlook that many of the flaws of it

can be contributed to the game engine of Funcom.

So what do you think? image

Actually I always liked AoC's engine. I never considered it in any way an issue. Though I will admit they improved it greatly when they did that rewrite. AoC's issues were mechanics, lack of a good crafting system, badly written out abilities, balance between classes for pvp, among other things. Basically I don't see the Unreal Engine3 or CryEngine3 an improvement. The problem with AoC was that like SWTOR it came off as "half baked". That it wasn't near finished and needed more time to be developed. I had no problem running it maxed out with my system, maybe that was part of the isuse? I had a higher end system. Hell I'm looking to replace it this year and its only "now" 3 years old as of this April. Thinking of going all liquid cooled with two of the new 7970's. Makes me drool thinking about it.

• excaliber37excaliber37 Member Posts: 3

I will aggree with most of the things you mention!

If you remeber how long it took them to fix*(Badly patch i'd say) the log-out to character selection or an even now day bug as the invisible horse riding (Game is being publist 4 years ago) or even having problems with their code on expanding the guild inventory and bank space!

One could wonder if instead of Funcom spending valuable recources and time on creating(improving) dev tools for their engine,would not it be better to just port it into a decent engine with proven capabilities.

Don't forget that in my initial post i mention functionality as well.

Now, aren't all the above inherited flaws of their Dreamworld engine?and if you agree on that would you not agree as well that if they can not deal easily with such trivial issues how could they deliver to all other areas(pvp,balancing,sieges,server perfo etc)image