Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loading Sector Space Takes Forever

OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

So I'm giving STO a try and generally having a good time, but there is one show stopper that makes me not want to play: loading into Sector Space takes forever. Anyone else having this issue? Any way to workaround/improve it?

Comments

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

for me its earthdock or ST9 I get stuck in a forever load. My wife and her 3 year old computer loads in 10 seonds while I sit there with my 16gb of ram and I7 processor for 5+ minutes.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

I think the problem right now is server load. I normally don't have a problem, but when they release a new FE the servers grind to a near halt when loading new areas. It should clear up this week as the server load backs off, but next saturday and sunday will likely be just like it is now.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Playing late at night seems to have helped. 15+ minute load times for sector and sol space are usually no more than 5 minute load times (often less) but this is the only f2p MMO I've come across that puts you in a loading queue in the middle of a play session lol. A queue when you first log in to the game, sure. But in the middle of  a session? Not the best design chioce.

I am having fun in the game though (playing 1 mission a day). And playing my Starfleet Command I, II and III character for the first time in years has been lots of fun, too. Even though he was supposed to be a Romulan, but hey, Vulcan is close enough.

Queueing should continue to get better as the player base thins out a bit. Guess the f2p conversion was very successful as there are tons of people playing (thus the queues lol).

P.S. This game is very much Starfleet Command IV. If  you played Starfleet Command III, you know what I mean.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by OSF8759

Playing late at night seems to have helped. 15+ minute load times for sector and sol space are usually no more than 5 minute load times (often less) but this is the only f2p MMO I've come across that puts you in a loading queue in the middle of a play session lol. A queue when you first log in to the game, sure. But in the middle of  a session? Not the best design chioce.

I am having fun in the game though (playing 1 mission a day). And playing my Starfleet Command I, II and III character for the first time in years has been lots of fun, too. Even though he was supposed to be a Romulan, but hey, Vulcan is close enough.

Queueing should continue to get better as the player base thins out a bit. Guess the f2p conversion was very successful as there are tons of people playing (thus the queues lol).

P.S. This game is very much Starfleet Command IV. If  you played Starfleet Command III, you know what I mean.

Heavy instancing and load screens are typical of a Cryptic game.  Their engine relies very heavily  on instancing, so you will notice load screens all over the place... beaming up/down from or to your ship, inside missions, travelling to different sectors of space, entering/exiting missions.  You may as well get used to zoning during your game session a lot in STO.

Server load issues are a problem Cryptic has had for years, and I do not mean that in a good way.  They do not seem interested in changing it since the cost is prohibitive, and it would take away an "incentive" for buying a lifetime sub to STO (load queue priority).

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I think the problem right now is server load. I normally don't have a problem, but when they release a new FE the servers grind to a near halt when loading new areas. It should clear up this week as the server load backs off, but next saturday and sunday will likely be just like it is now.