Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alot have been seeking an alternative to WoW..It's been here all along

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Alot
    The title is wrong. Alot has not been awaiting the "WoW killer".

I lol'd
    *High-Fives Alot*

BOOYAKA!

• HarmTouchHarmTouch Member Posts: 28

I <3 the debating on these forums.Errybody follows an unsaid etiquette, pretty grand!!

Originally posted by cyress8

I lol'd

*High-Fives Alot*

Well this could mean 1 of 2 things.Either your in love with WoW and aren't waiting for any other titles.Or, your already playing eq2 and your aswell, not awaiting the wow killa because you already playing it! <3

but i do assume you play wow since you added an unecesary 'd' at the end of 'lol'.... LOL

/boggled

• KingPinoyKingPinoy Member Posts: 55

Dude, i found a wow killer a long time ago, its called runescape.  Where only the most hardcore go. Its so hardcore i can't even play it because im not that hardcore.

Originally posted by KingPinoy

Dude, i found a wow killer a long time ago, its called runescape.  Where only the most hardcore go. Its so hardcore i can't even play it because im not that hardcore.

High five !!

Originally posted by Clerigo

OK, but my understanding for the given idea of a "WoW Killer" is that of a game that can, not only have the paying subscriber base WoW has, but also one that is directly responsible for a huge drop on WoWs player base wich, im afraid, EQ is not.

It has nothing to do with WoW current game design, wich i can tell you, and you all know, it sucks in such an epic way that most people dont even take notice of it and still think it is a great game...

Well you bring some valid points.But imo it's how you look at it.I don't base a great game on sales figures.Obviously everyone is going to play what the masses are playing.Games that the masses play usually are straight foward,catter to the casual player, no learning curve, easy content, low system reqs.Though this certainly doesn't make a game 'great' in essense of what a real immersive mmo should be...Sure its great becasue I can run it on a 300$ dell and i can logon for a couple of hours and feel like i accomplished something.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly... EQ2... I just never was huge on. WoW's success was due to its marketting and lack of competition and its continued success due to people just being familiar with it and having a 'place' there. I think we can all admit that we find enjoyment going back to games we spent so much time on in the past and really liked it.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Honestly... EQ2... I just never was huge on. WoW's success was due to its marketting and lack of competition and its continued success due to people just being familiar with it and having a 'place' there. I think we can all admit that we find enjoyment going back to games we spent so much time on in the past and really liked it.

Couldn't agree more! But I bet if you gave eq2 an honest chance you'd <3 it.I mean lvl from 1-endgame enjoying the lore and content along the way.Then at endgame do some of the best pve content eva! Amongst a robust open world full of pvp... sure there's instanced pvp in eq2.But eq2 isn't known for its instanced pvp.Its known for its sick pve and its robust,dynamic open world pvp.

When instanced pvp was introduced in eq2 alot of the veterans did a triple /facepalm. So, atleast instanced pvp didnt kill off open world pvp like it does in other mmos.. where people sit in immunity and que alday for ez gear haha.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by HarmTouch

I lol'd
    *High-Fives Alot*

Well this could mean 1 of 2 things.Either your in love with WoW and aren't waiting for any other titles.Or, your already playing eq2 and your aswell, not awaiting the wow killa because you already playing it! <3
    but i do assume you play wow since you added an unecesary 'd' at the end of 'lol'.... LOL
    /boggled

I play EQ2 and no it is not a WoW killer Also, I added 'd to make it past tense. :P

BOOYAKA!

I lol'd

*High-Fives Alot*

/boggled

I play EQ2 and no it is not a WoW killer Also, I added 'd to make it past tense. :P

but why? You already 'Laughed out loud', no need for the d for past tense.... anyhow!! thanks for clearing this up!!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I have tried EQ 2 several times and just can not get past the graphics.  I have a decent system i5 2500K and a GeForce 260.  I run the game fine on max settings and I think it looks terrible.  Maybe it is just the starting areas I chose though.  Maybe I will give it another shot some time.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

i am not sure if anyone remembers, but when EQ2 was released (around the same time as WoW) the graphics on it required a beast of a machine, While WoWs was more modest (even back then it was modest). Sure now a days EQ2 does not take a beast of a machine to run it, but the damage was done. 

Also alot of the EQ1 players resented the sequel, at least those i knew on my server were pissed about it.

EQ2 is a fun game but there is something about it that does not hold my attention for more than 3-6 months, i cant explain it but i just lose interest. I have tried it 4 seperate times. Oddly enough i feel the same about Vanguard also, both of those games seem to have the same feel for me.

Oh well, i dont play woW either so i am not knocking EQ2, just trying to reason out why the game was not as successful.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

I have tried EQ 2 several times and just can not get past the graphics.  I have a decent system i5 2500K and a GeForce 260.  I run the game fine on max settings and I think it looks terrible.  Maybe it is just the starting areas I chose though.  Maybe I will give it another shot some time.

ya the starting areas arent the most robust.. but i assure you it gets 126621123X better looking thatn the starter areas.. I was actually going to say in my OP "dont judge right away on the starter areas"..but i didnt..mabey i should have.

also alot of the starter gear is terrible looking haha.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Haha that was a good joke. EQ2 is no WoW killer, in fact WoW left EQ2 in the dust back when they both launched.

EQ2 was the better game, but WoW was for the low computer spec and very casual masses. EQ2 has then spent the last 6 years desperately trying to be more like WoW. I love the EQ1 lore and classes, but what they have been doing to EQ2 since its crushing defeat by WoW could be described as nothing short of an abomination. Its not even a shadow of its former self.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

This is highly amusing because I remember at the time right before these games came out how convinced many were that EQ2 was going to obliterate WoW. I seem to recall more than a few thinking WoW never stood a chance against EQ2.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

I lol'd

*High-Fives Alot*

/boggled

but why? You already 'Laughed out loud', no need for the d for past tense.... anyhow!! thanks for clearing this up!!

Since you're now giving grammer advice, I hope you realize that 'alot' isn't a real word.

Back on topic, I think EQ2 is an ok game but I wouldn't have ever considered it a great game at any point in its life.  Let alone a game I would have pitted against the two ton gorilla in the room.

Originally posted by Kilrane

I lol'd

*High-Fives Alot*

/boggled

Since you're now giving grammer advice, I hope you realize that 'alot' isn't a real word.

Back on topic, I think EQ2 is an ok game but I wouldn't have ever considered it a great game at any point in its life.  Let alone a game I would have pitted against the two ton gorilla in the room.

Yea... you have obviously lvl'd to endgame and seen what eq2 has to offer.You're certainly not bias... just because you can play wow on a 300$ dell, and faceroll carebear content doesn't make it a gorilla..sure WoW/blizard have gorilla marketing execs...thats about it. As i said this isnt a bash wow thread..and it certainly isnt a bash eq2 thread.Its a thread for people who have never heard of eq2 or played anything but World or Warcraft... there are other games and wow is far from cream of the crop... WoW = for the masses of casual players who want to get gear easy via instanced pvp and by facerolling through some cartoony raid instance... there..does that sound about right? Ofcourse you'd disagree...

i mean WoW is some hardcore really immersive game with endless content right?

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Well what the heck, after leaving SWTOR, i returned to RIFT i may as well try out EQ2 again also. Need to find something to do till GW2, TSW, or TERA get released.

BTW, i think comparing EQ2 to WoW is really giving EQ2 a black eye, WoW is such an easy mode game now, especially with all the 3rd party mods that most of the LEET Doodzors require if you want to be in there grps. Not sure why you want to even place EQ2 in the same arena as WoW,

Nor do you want those type of Hardcore WoW players in EQ2. I am sure SOE wants them but does the serious playerbase of EQ2 want em ? Somehow i doubt it.

Lolipops !

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

i think i am getting more tired of the term wow killer than i am of the actual game named wow at least blizzard from a business stand point did a better job than everyone else, wow-killer is just some made up term that means very little and is often talked about and wow will probably decline the same way it is already slowly not by any one factor.

When i say i am tired of the term wow killer i don't mean in some rant fly off the handle way just in a i have thought about it enough and it has just lost all meaning, how many years have we been hearing the term wow-killer and ya wow still has tons more subs than anyone else and ya i play swtor i see what is going on, if wow-killer were a sniper and wow was its target its the wost marksman in history.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I tried EQ2 a year after WOW came out.  I hated the art design and leveling experience.  I quit around level 15 and never went back.  Now that it's F2P I may eventually give it a second chance, but it is in no way a WOW beater.

I'm not going to pay to give the game a second chance.  Hopefully the available F2P classes are good enough to make a strong impression.  Otherwise, they'll guarantee that they get no money out of me.  There are better ways to monetize a game than limiting player classes.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322

Originally posted by Kilrane

I lol'd

*High-Fives Alot*

/boggled

Yea... you have obviously lvl'd to endgame and seen what eq2 has to offer.You're certainly not bias... just because you can play wow on a 300$ dell, and faceroll carebear content doesn't make it a gorilla..sure WoW/blizard have gorilla marketing execs...thats about it. As i said this isnt a bash wow thread..and it certainly isnt a bash eq2 thread.Its a thread for people who have never heard of eq2 or played anything but World or Warcraft... there are other games and wow is far from cream of the crop... WoW = for the masses of casual players who want to get gear easy via instanced pvp and by facerolling through some cartoony raid instance... there..does that sound about right? Ofcourse you'd disagree...

i mean WoW is some hardcore really immersive game with endless content right?

I haven't played WOW in several years, so how about you quit making an a$$ out of your self?

EQ2 is a midcore game, WOW is as well but fact is they have just a few more subs than EQ2 does. You're the one who started the pissing match so don't get bent out of shape when someone doesn't agree with you.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I tried EQ2 a year after WOW came out.  I hated the art design and leveling experience.  I quit around level 15 and never went back.  Now that it's F2P I may eventually give it a second chance, but it is in no way a WOW beater.

I'm not going to pay to give the game a second chance.  Hopefully the available F2P classes are good enough to make a strong impression.  Otherwise, they'll guarantee that they get no money out of me.  There are better ways to monetize a game than limiting player classes.

cool good to hear you will give it another try.get past lvl15 this time though, you may have a whole other out look =D.here are some videos from the game of recent.Not bad looking for an 8 year old mmo... watch them in hidef though.cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYedOGvqULU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9q0v06Irmc&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dGnXoug8yE 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PHCouN3yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8nXyBWf0U&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDH1Qkyxwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHm5YbfRD8&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67N4nHI71yc&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYg2nKmOfIY&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4-XHXG429A&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsqMNsj1Rg8

haha, took me a bit to find quality vids where people didn't have their graphics turned to extreme peformance.

You will notice somes UI are way difrent.Thats because eq2s default UI is highly customizable.This includes scaleing or sizing every part of the ui the way you want.placing things exactly where you want them.heck, mabey you dont want hotbars, mabey you want to turn your bars into clusters or blocks!!Also a couple are using 3rd party mods.Also you may notice certain classes, tanks for example not wearing plate armor or wearing 'crappy' looking gear.This is because in eq2 you have appearance slots inwich you can apply any look you want..for every piece of armor.you can wear old worthles gear/drops in your app slots.So, you could be a tank wearing a robe/hood with plate guantlets etc..really a nice feature so everyone is not stuck looking the same.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by sladden27

So true! After so many years of playing World of Warcraft and other mmorpgs, I found that Everquest 2 was the king on the hill! Even tho the population is not the biggest, I don't really care....because that makes the community more mature! No kid drama destroying the gameplay!

If anyone is searching for a social, mature, friendly and helpfull guild....then PM me! :)

Yes I hear that alot from former WoW subscribers.Infact, there has been a ludicrous influx of WoW players subscribing,playing and loving eq2.Those who aren't too bias /wink ... and those who actually lvl to endgame (enjoying content otw) and see what the game is all about usually stay and have nothing but good things to say about eq2.Usually they (i've heard this one NUMEROUS times) "wanna kick themselves for not playing eq2 alot sooner".To those who are WoW bias, i'd say just give eq2 an honest chance, by lvling to endgame and experiencing content.Chances are very very high you wont go back=D.This isn't a WoW clone... this is a whole diffrent bred of MMO, especially when you want to compare combat mechnics/style.(very fluid, smooth and polished) It's a breath of fresh air from the global cools/faceroll action or however you want to put it.

The population overall isnt as big as wows, but there are over 10 high pop servers as we speak.So from a 'server pop' standpoint there really is no diffrence.IMO, who cares if WoW has 50 high pop servers and eq2 only has ~10? Join a high pop server and you wont notice any diffrence in population =P from wows high pops to eq2 high pop s..no dif from server to server.

Woah, you just generalized me so much! :P

I am in the perfect guild, I am 5 levels from end-game and I am having a great time. The only thing that will stop me from playing, is the release of Guild Wars 2. So no, I am not the "usual wow player". Sorry, but I hate to get seperated into a group that I am not in ;)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I played EQ 2 when it was launched and sticked with it for a while s and I can tell you it is no alternative to WoW. It was very linear, simple with small zones and PvP was very bad done and didnt even exist at first.

It was a shadow of the prequel which was a much richer and complex MMORPG. EQ 2 felt like how EQ 1 would be like if it was like WoW and when I am looking for an alternative for something I am not looking for a simpler version of it, I am looking for something better and preferably different and EQ 2 is neither of those things.

Ofcourse this may have changed during the years I stopped playing it but somehow I doubt it. It is SOE we are talking about...

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Originally posted by tazarconan

Eq 2 's mistake was it focused on pve while on the same time wow included pvp. Most ppl i knew that wer eplaying wow wer eplaying it because of pvp bg's at vanilla ,arenas later on and arenas+rated bg's as it is now.Only a few of them were dedicated raiders.

If somehow eq2 had a polished combat system and smooth animations added a well organised pvp system,ladders,bg's or whatever else someone could think im sure it could be a better option for the funs of  eq2/wow style mmorpgs than wow.

well, i'd have to disagree bigtime. While eq2 out does every other current MMO in terms of PVE content (by far). And eq2s animations > WoWs by miles.The combat is VERY fluid.And yes eq2 didnt have instaned pvp for many years.Instanced pvp is terrible though.It goes against what any good mmo stands for... eq2 had ludicrously great world pvp all acros norrath....and it is a very polished game haha

Somewhere around 2006-2007 i got tired of wow and bought eq2.After playing it 3days some things i noticed were plain obvious. World design was lot poorer than wow's at least from the areas i manged to visit. Animations and combat were in lower lvl than wow's.It felt clucnky and ackward.While it had some intresting ideas in combat system it didnt worked well or at least it gave that fewling. Along together with the fact that there was no organised pvp system but maybe random fights in the wilds that meant nothing i quitted.

Something about instanced pvp. You ll hear from many players around that Daoc had a real pvp and its daoc's world pvp was better than wow. I agree. We r not talking about daoc though.We r talking about wow's pvp vs eq2 's pvp which it was implemented as an option which means its fail case.

If what u r saying is true then why 9 millions worldwide playing wow and few thousands players only playing eq2 ? Dont u think it should be the opposite? Dont dellude yourself my friend.

If something is better than something else players prefer that one and play it.