Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWOTR drove me back to play WoW!!

xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Uh oh...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

It's Bioware what do you expect. Their known for great cinematics not great gameplay.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by xion12121

I really wanted to like SWOTR so much I subbed for a month to get high level to see how it is and to me the game feels more like a single player rpg with pets that follow you. I mean where is the multiplayer component, and the linear paths and instances takes away from the depth of it as an mmo. After so many failed MMO's warhammer, aion, etc. and now SWOTR I subbed back to World of warcraft. I just couldn't take it anymore and i have to say despite the next expansion unless something awesome comes out soon I will continue to sub to World of Warcraft!! The game is open to explore and feels more multiplayer than anything else out here. 

WoW... the game that feels more multiplayer than anything else out there?

In it's current state WoW is a glorified lobby game. Little more multiplayer than diablo. Personally got tired of it but I'm guilty of just loitering waiting for things to pop.

How you can say WoW is more multiplayer though is a mystery. Might be an illusion since everyone is sitting in the middle of Org waiting for shit to pop.

Not money well spent.

Oh, and I guess it could seem more quite since there aren't a bunch of prepubescent's spamming anal jokes. IDK though, maybe you like anal jokes.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by TheHavok

Uh oh...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Another thing, can you tell me exactly what you have left to explore in WoW? Really like to know what is worth going exploring for in WoW.

If I was going back to WoW it would be for a legit reason, like how I love the shaman class. Certainly not because of the "More multiplayer" and "exploration"

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Another thing, can you tell me exactly what you have left to explore in WoW? Really like to know what is worth going exploring for in WoW.

If I was going back to WoW it would be for a legit reason, like how I love the shaman class. Certainly not because of the "More multiplayer" and "exploration"

Why are you bashing this guy for going back to a game he enjoys?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

It almost drove me back to WOW as well. Which is saying a lot considering how many times my friends have pestered me about returning to WOW.

While I was playing SWTOR, leveling, PVP, PVE, I started to notice the huge similarity to WOW. By the time I got to end game SWTOR, That bad taste in your mouth you get from years of dailies, Raids, Battleground began to set in and I couldn't help but ask myself, "Why am I not playing WOW?" WOW has all of this, but it's more refined and does it much better.

Needless to say, I quit SWTOR right after this realisation and almost renewed my subsription to WOW. However, while I surfed the WOW forums in an attempt to refamiliarize myself with the WOW community, I noticed the same crap was still there. That same monotonous grind that drove me away in the first place and I just couldn't bring myself to sign up again.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Devs shooting for players that play WoW. Ended up with players that have zero interest in playing MoM.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

I have ignored raid content for WoW since BC come out and well these days when you join a guild it gets to level 25 and the GM sells it and the new owner kicks everyone out the guild and that keeps happening in other guilds too unless your in a proper raiding guid which I don't want to be in since techacly i'm only casual and in a raid guild they expect you to actually raid which kind of becomes like a job and I'd prefer to play when I want to play not when others want me to play.

Dungeon finder system, raid finder system and sometimes you get really good people while other times you get a really bad group. That is what to expect when you are in a random group of people you don't know and will never see again.

So, it's better to make a guild with a few friends or join a well known established guild who doesn't mind if you don't raid. So, that way you do get the social aspect of it without feeling alone in the world.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Be careful with the 'WoW' word on these forums.  Dropping it and not using it in a negative way might make people think you're some sort of terrorist or something

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

I use to play WoW.

I play SWTOR now.

I will never go back to WoW.

I would not play WoW even if they payed me to play.

I will play any MMo othere then WoW.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

It drove me back to Rift. 

Here's a thing, don't if anyone else experienced this. I had been doing a lot of pvp in SWTOR and when I switched over, I started doing the same once I hit level 10 in Rift. After a few days of that I suddenly realised something:I was actually relaxed and wasn't irritable, didn't feel stressed and didn't want to smash my keyboard. There was something about SWTOR pvp that was stressful but I don't think I fully appreciate it while I was playing. Maybe it was the knockbacks and stuns every five seconds maybe it was the slight delay and non-fluidity of the moves. Who knows. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I completely agree there are serious problems with SWTOR and i agree with the reasons you say you left because i've seen those same things. The only thing that puzzles me is that you claim WoW is more exploratory. After leaving WoW and going to Rift i have to say, WoW is definitely not exploratory, sure it's an open world but nothing there to do that means anything or is rewarded other then pvp, dungeons, and raids. Sure you can do archeology but there's really nothing like Rift's artifact system where you collect the artifacts and you get pets, cosmetic items, mounts, cosmetic items. currency. It's just way more advanced in Rift.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Thanks to SWTOR I am now back playing Eve.  The one thing that SWTOR has going for it is that it shows you how good the game you left for it, really was. :D

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I just love it when the ex-WoW players go back to the familiar, if they ran back so quickly then they were not done with it in the first place.

I left EQ after 8 years & never went back, I knew I was done with it.

I've played WoW, still have a sub running, but I'm having much more fun in SWTOR, I think I got burned out on fantasy games somewhat, I think I needed a change of scenery too.

I won't go back to WoW, I know I'm done with it in the same way I knew I was done with EQ.

SWTOR suits me, it's got it's faults & I think it definitely could have been so very much better, but what's there is enjoyable enough to keep me, I'm in a great guild with people I've known years & I find that all the different options to play are good, if somewhat limited.

Could use more PvP stuff, could use more Raids, could use more Flashpoints....but they'll come, what's already there is fun, I just switch around what I do quite a lot, though I can see that for someone who only plays one way would easily get bored from not enough to do, this is a self-imposed lack of things to do, there's loads if you have a broad horizon not a narrow focus.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

It drove me back to Rift. 

Here's a thing, don't if anyone else experienced this. I had been doing a lot of pvp in SWTOR and when I switched over, I started doing the same once I hit level 10 in Rift. After a few days of that I suddenly realised something:I was actually relaxed and wasn't irritable, didn't feel stressed and didn't want to smash my keyboard. There was something about SWTOR pvp that was stressful but I don't think I fully appreciate it while I was playing. Maybe it was the knockbacks and stuns every five seconds maybe it was the slight delay and non-fluidity of the moves. Who knows. 

Poor production quality expresses itself slowly over time. But to a more hightened gamer, it is quickly noticed. I hate WOW but always admired it for its increadible production quality, this showed thru tight controls, fluid animations, and fast response times, good FPS and from fast finger click to action response.

My group used to play Operation Flashpoint every Tue & Friday for up to 10 hours straight some times. The responsive controls made spending that time at the computer easy to tolerate. Then Arma came out, it was a better looking game, but it was clunky, slow animation responses ect. I quit playing after only 1 day of play, my group laughed at me. Short story, 6 months later they were all playing other games.

Poor production quality is like having a pebble in your shoe, for an hour or two, you can ignore it, some don't even know its there, but after hours and hours it starts to throb, till finally you can't take it anymore. Its enough to make you irritable without ever knowing why. To me SWTOR was like having a small piece of glass in my shoe, it just felt painful to play for long periods of time. Which is why I quit during beta, a game either has it or it doesn't, I have never seen any game fix this problem once it was there.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

someone please explain how a game can "drive you back" to another game? You guys could have a serious mental health issue, addiction or worse ( i'm not being derogatory either ). 

On the other hand, this could be another sensationilst, embellished post designed to provoke a response ;P

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Mellkor

Dude came in bashing TOR. He should have expected it and you shouldn't be surprised. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but everyone is also entitled to their opinion of said opinion.

• ApsaraApsara Member Posts: 1

I did the same thing, I hadn't played wow in 2 years. After playing Stwor, I installed wow and tried Catacysm. Wow isn't that great, but I sure hell would not go back to Swtor. I did enjoy the leveling from 1-50 though, but after 50 it was boring. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

[quote]Originally posted by kartool

Originally posted by Mellkor

Dude came in bashing TOR. He should have expected it and you shouldn't be surprised. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but everyone is also entitled to their opinion of said opinion.

No, There is a difference, he provided a recount of his personal experiences with the game.

where as jusomdude tries to discredit the 'validity" of his experiences and opinions.[paraphrase:"his reasons are not legitimate"]

Its well within the realms of possibility a person could perceive WoW to have better multiplayer and exploration.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by nikoliath

someone please explain how a game can "drive you back" to another game? You guys could have a serious mental health issue, addiction or worse ( i'm not being derogatory either ). 

On the other hand, this could be another sensationilst, embellished post designed to provoke a response ;P

Sure no prob. but first i must know this. can you relate or understand why someone else other than you may share a different opinion? if your answer is yes well then......................................................................................

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by aleos

Originally posted by nikoliath

Sure no prob. but first i must know this. can you relate or understand why someone else other than you may share a different opinion? if your answer is yes well then......................................................................................

smart reply, now answer my question. Sure yeah yeah you think that someone who questions this kind of trash post is a blind rabid fanboy.... I'm asking how a game can "drive" anyone of sound mind to do something. I presume you understand the term "drive"?

Usually extreme emotional distress, often as a result of substance abuse or "madness", "drives" people to do something. Perhaps his tile should have read;

"Playing SWTOR made me appreciate the quality of WoW and as a result I resubbed to it" - but that's not so sensational is it?

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Bunks

Poor production quality is like having a pebble in your shoe, for an hour or two, you can ignore it, some don't even know its there, but after hours and hours it starts to throb, till finally you can't take it anymore. Its enough to make you irritable without ever knowing why. To me SWTOR was like having a small piece of glass in my shoe, it just felt painful to play for long periods of time. Which is why I quit during beta, a game either has it or it doesn't, I have never seen any game fix this problem once it was there.

Hehe, beautifully put and very precise, couldn't have said it better myself without using resorting to groinal itch metaphors.