Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would we all agree this is accurate?

hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

With the Pending Release of the Movies in 3D.........I speculate that if SW:G was still active, the sub base would have benefitted from the draw of playing in the SW Universe.

Cause I know that TOR is probably going to get some action from the 3D release.

Leaving the NGE vs Pre-NGE arguements alone for this thread....

Did LA shoot itself in the foot in regards to the MMO Player Base that would have spent the Money to Play Both at the same time?

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by hipiap

With the Pending Release of the Movies in 3D.........I speculate that if SW:G was still active, the sub base would have benefitted from the draw of playing in the SW Universe.

Did LA shoot itself in the foot in regards to the MMO Player Base that would have spent the Money to Play Both at the same time?

With Clone Wars Adventures and SWTOR offering more modern graphics, a quicker path to entertainment and lower learning curve, if SWG was still around it probably would have just seemed that much more antiquated and difficult  to the average Star Ward fan looking for a franchise based game to play.

That's not to say SWG wasn't a good game in its time, just that for today's audience and with the current alternatives SWG's age would have really showed and that probably would have done more harm than good.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Perhaps a small bit.

But I think there are two Star Wars franchises.

The old films and Star Wars Galaxies.

And the newer films and Clone Wars and the newer games.

I don't think both franchises have that much in common.

Hell, I think the old Star TREK films with Shatner are more like the old Star Wars then this new flashy flashy lightsaber crappy story stuff.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I would agree with that , ToR barley represents a SW universe in any way .. pathetic attempt .imo

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    No. We wouldn't.
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The Phantom Menace made like 20 million last weekend on its first weekend.

Thats like as much as a bad Jennifer Anniston romance movie with some square-jawed hollywood hunk'o'rama.

In other words, it was about as impressive as a ball of poo.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by ericlatrelle

No. We wouldn't.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by kobie173

Originally posted by ericlatrelle

No. We wouldn't.

Thanks Barrahm....

Bant at TOR yet?

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by hipiap

I used to be a massive Star Wars fan: the mythos, SWG, etc.; However, since 2005, the endless mishandling of the franchise has REALLY left me with a bad taste.

I still love the mythos, but I'm staying away from anything Star Warsy for a while.

----

SOE's John Smedley expresses regrets over SWG mishaps (mistakes)

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Hard to say.. I would say that it makes very little difference...those fans that are MMO players may have ventured to (or back) but not in the numbers to make it worth the effort

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I don't think so. I was playing the game back when Episode 3 was released and I don't remember the population increasing. They even released the Rage of the Wookies expansion to coincide with the movie release and that didn't do much. Of course the CU was done around that time too so it might have been too much change for the people playing.

I don't think they would have shut the game down if there was potential to turn a profit.Maybe they should have went the F2P route just to see if their luck would change, but it's not like this game wasn't given a chance to succeed. It wasn't here today and gone tomorrow. It had a 8 year life span which is longer than a lot of mmos had. At some point, you have to cut your losses.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by ktanner3

I don't think they would have shut the game down if there was potential to turn a profit.Maybe they should have went the F2P route just to see if their luck would change, but it's not like this game wasn't given a chance to succeed. It wasn't here today and gone tomorrow. It had a 8 year life span which is longer than a lot of mmos had. At some point, you have to cut your losses.

SOE wanted to take SWG F2P, but LA did not want it to.

WIth SOE switching all their games to F2P, keeping it P2P was probably not an option for SOE, so it got shut down.

The game was still making money, there was just a conflict of interest between SOE and LA. If the game was not making money they would not have kept working on it, and especially the Space Update which was still pending at time of closure.

Smedley sounded annoyed at the fact of SWG closing "That's the problem with licenses: they end. We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest." , as after SWG it seems he has little plans to handle other IP games again. If he knew that SWG was getting shut down, SOE would have put more devs on Vanguard than SWG. If SWG did not get shut down, Vanguard probably would have done instead.

SOE is going in a weird direction atm, and at least SWG has avoided this PSS1 crap.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by superniceguy

WIth SOE switching all their games to F2P, keeping it P2P was probably not an option for SOE, so it got shut down.

The game was still making money, there was just a conflict of interest between SOE and LA. If the game was not making money they would not have kept working on it, and especially the Space Update which was still pending at time of closure.

Smedley sounded annoyed at the fact of SWG closing "That's the problem with licenses: they end. We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest." , as after SWG it seems he has little plans to handle other IP games again. If he knew that SWG was getting shut down, SOE would have put more devs on Vanguard than SWG. If SWG did not get shut down, Vanguard probably would have done instead.

SOE is going in a weird direction atm, and at least SWG has avoided this PSS1 crap.

Even now, if Vanguard got a little development time and went F2P, it would do well.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Originally posted by superniceguy

Even now, if Vanguard got a little development time and went F2P, it would do well.

That is exactly what is happening. The first time I saw Vanguard get any update for a very long time, was after SWGs shutdown announcement

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

TOR is failing so bad that it probably hurts the SW IP if anything. It has really turned me off to SW mor than anything. TOR getting a boost from anything with the Star Wars IP, seems quite unlikely. Nothing is impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

imageimage
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I don't think so. I was playing the game back when Episode 3 was released and I don't remember the population increasing. They even released the Rage of the Wookies expansion to coincide with the movie release and that didn't do much. Of course the CU was done around that time too so it might have been too much change for the people playing.

I remember a increases in populations with both ROTW and TOOW, more so with the latter.  ROTW was tied in with the CU so the drama made some quit and put off others that may have been otherwise willing to give it a go.  ToOW brought quite a number of people back to the game and for many of those people, it was the first time they had experienced what the CU was really like.  If they hadn't then released the NGE two weeks later I think that expansion would have been the one to stabalise SWG's numbers as many realised that the CU wasn't as horrible as they thought it was - it changed the balance around certain things but fundamentally it was the same game design, but now it had actual challenging content.