Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh man EA is desperate...

Comments

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777

Originally posted by brody71

i want to say the Madden Series is one of if not the best selling video game franchise in history.  I dont think EA is hurting for money.  Also, companies that are hurting for money, dont just give things away. 

Yes you wil wan`t to sya that lol, but it would not be true my friend.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Originally posted by jpnz

ROFL, the only one 'desperate' is the OP.

How can you connect SWTOR to 'ME3 for BF3' promotion? It is just not logical.

By this logic, I guess Valve is desperate too since TF2 is F2P or when they gave away free copies of Portal1 if you get STEAM.

It kinds of sounds like one of Glenn Beck's chalkboard rants.  Some people could use anything as evidence that TOR is a failure.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Hmmm, quite odd that a business would create a promotion to make more money... wait a minute, what company in their right mind would do such a thing? This is definitely shady business.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Oh man Blizzard must be desperate. They gave away Diablo III to people who signed up to WoW for a year sub... 

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

It's an attempt to boost ME3 pre-orders. It also might put BF3 into the hands of someone that didn't want to pay for it, or CoD fans insterested in BF3 and were planning on getting ME3.

It's a win-win. Offer something for free to someone who wasn't going to buy the product in the first place, and possibly get more pre-orders. On the other side of things you might increase the amount of fans of BF3, which might mean more sales of their next BF3 expansions and maybe even their next Battlefield game.

It's not desperation. It's marketing.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by brody71

i want to say the Madden Series is one of if not the best selling video game franchise in history.  I dont think EA is hurting for money.  Also, companies that are hurting for money, dont just give things away. 

No offense buddy but if Madden was really "that great" then why did EA sign an exclusive rights deal with the NFL? ESPN NFL Football was successful and taking a big chunk of Maddens profits considering ESPN Released with a 19.99 price tag against Madden's $49.99-$59.99 price tag per release. Add other great NFL games like Gameday and any other that also had success and you see where i am coming from. IF Madden was the clear front runner and had no issues to worry about why block any other company from making an NFL game. MLB The Show is a no doubt the best Baseball game going and they havent blocked others from using the MLB franchise.

Id say Sims is a bigger money maker then Madden considering Sims games have held or broke records at times. Also add all the expacs it has. All this means really is even if Mass Effect 3 flopped and only sold 10 copies EA would still be living way better then any of us.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

They are giving a free BF3 as a promo for a ton of stuff atm, so I don't think it's tied to any one game.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Well with both the kingdoms of amalur reckoning demo and the soon to come ME3 demo lets you unlock items for both fullgames. And now they give a free BF3 game aswell only makes me as a gamer glad and aint seeing it as a desperate move. But then again we might have people not really gamers who might indeed see things like this as being desperate....dunno....

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Specualtion here, but SWTOR and now this is for one thing, to drive up Origin. That was the main focus at last quartely, EA intends to go in a whole new direction in gaming, casual games, and they want their digitial download service to be on par with steam to max profits from that.

EA made some big moves in 2011 and SWTOR was to be a cash cow, the cow is sick and the vultures(short sellers) are are flying over EA's head cause they know EA is cash short.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Man, i'm loving the amount of kool-aid that's getting drunk here.  Time will tell my friends, time will tell...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

{mod edit}

Mass Effect is amazing, will be amazing, has been amazing, the Demo is amazing, people love the demo, nothing but good things to say about the demo...  Where do you get off saying They're trying to sell Mass Effect 3 by using other "better" products? 

Far as i've seen, Battlefield 3 is nothing special.  I don't play it, I haven't seen many people talking about it, it isn't in the news, the websites, or anywhere.  It was just another release.  Another FPS clone. 

{mod edit}

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

How can any of you claim you know how EA is doing? From what I see they are doing extremely well with the release of BF3 and swtor.  M3 will just add to this.  Thats like saying blizzard is desperate for adding account wide mounts to WoW but they just want to add more money.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Ok, so first off this isnt directly MMO related, but i personally believe that it has to do with the dismal failure that is SWTOR.

Apparently now if you pre-order Mass Effect 3, they will give you a free copy of Battlefield 3:

http://bf3blog.com/2012/02/preorder-mass-effect-3-get-battlefield-3-free/

The Mass Effect series is EA's primary cash cow.  This shows that they basically have no faith in it performing well since they're bundling the one actually properly made, quality game that has been released under EA in many years.

lol yeah.... coz selling 2 games (that has nothing to do with SWTOR)  for the price of one will give EA a shi*t ton $$ and will not loose anything on it

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

EA is not doing very good.

Except from endless sport sequels , they had many investment catastrophies.

SWTOR , although still hanging in the air is obviously a lost of over quarter billion dollars , coupled with failure with what was sopposed to be sure shot : best franchise in the world + best developer + hugamonguous budget

They got big blow in customer reputation and investor reputation.

Now they have to blow up the numbers.

This is why they are giving two great game for one.

So that ME3 sales will be maximized and they can say to investors : "We sold X million copies"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

It's not desperation.

When I bought Modern Warface 3 from Steam, I also got Modern Warfare for free. And really, they don't have to give away anyhting to sell the game Mass Effect sells itself (and this is from someone who has never bought a ME game). Plus, the more people they get to play BF the better, right?

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

If you go to the official Origin store it says that Mass Effect 3 does not come with a copy of Battlefield 3.  Does NOT.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Originally posted by Autorock

(Star Wars: The Old Republic has received generally positive reviews from critics, with a score of 85 on Metacritic and a 84.46% on Gamerankings.

G4TV gave a review of 5/5 and praised the game for "Top notch music and voice acting" and "hundreds of hours of content."

PC Gamer gave a 93/100, praising the story, voice acting, and the amount of content available.

Gamespy gave a review of 4/5, praising the story lines and companion system but criticising the "standard kill and fetch" quests.

GameSpot gave the game 8.0/10, saying "SWTOR isn't the next step in online role-playing games. Instead, it's a highly entertaining refinement of what has come before it."

The game has received a 9.0/10 "Amazing" rating from IGN.com.

MSNBC awarded Star Wars: The Old Republic as game of the year.)

Estimated at 1.7 Million subscribers earlier this month. Over 2 million copies sold.

Whether you like it or not, that is not a dismal failure or any sort. I understand it's not for everyone, stfu with the doom and gloom plox.

But..but they have all been paid by EA to give high scores.

*chuckles*

No wonder they're hurting for money ;)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Originally posted by Painlezz

{mod edit}

Mass Effect is amazing, will be amazing, has been amazing, the Demo is amazing, people love the demo, nothing but good things to say about the demo...  Where do you get off saying They're trying to sell Mass Effect 3 by using other "better" products? 

Far as i've seen, Battlefield 3 is nothing special.  I don't play it, I haven't seen many people talking about it, it isn't in the news, the websites, or anywhere.  It was just another release.  Another FPS clone. 

You clearly do not play BF3. It isn't a clone and if you know anythinng about Dice you'd know they stand behind their products and keep improving them long after they are released. 

{mod edit}

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Lobotomist

EA is not doing very good.

Except from endless sport sequels , they had many investment catastrophies.

SWTOR , although still hanging in the air is obviously a lost of over quarter billion dollars , coupled with failure with what was sopposed to be sure shot : best franchise in the world + best developer + hugamonguous budget

Now they have to blow up the numbers.

This is why they are giving two great game for one.

So that ME3 sales will be maximized and they can say to investors : "We sold X million copies"

Lets logically break this post down since there are zero factually correct information. :)

SWTOR , although still hanging in the air is obviously a lost of over quarter billion dollars

How anyone can get the '250Million' figure when EA's financial statements do not mention this is puzzling.

EALouse's of '300Million' is now considered false btw.

coupled with failure with what was sopposed to be sure shot : best franchise in the world + best developer + hugamonguous budget

I never realized a game that's 2 months old is looked at as a 'failure'.

Oh! That '2Million box sales' must have been a lie then too?

If any so-called 'investors' gets fooled by that 'sold X million' statement; they deserve to lose money.

Financial due dilligence anyone? We are talking about millions of dollars here.

Your hatred towards a game while puzzling is nothing new in this forum but at least try to get ONE fact right. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

One thing that puzzles me is that prior to TOR's release Bioware wasn't banging it's drums much about TOR, it was all FUD style quick glimpses of action and very minimal event participation. This leads me to believe that even Bioware wasn't too proud of it's own product.

So why do some fans think it's the best thing since sliced bread. It looks like garbage, no endgame, replayability is boring due to overused voiceovers, Leveling is too fast to properly enjoy all the quests, combat is EZ mode, PVP is a mess....

In contrast to GW2 that is headlining every event to show fans every possible aspect of the game because it's that awesome.

If I would have bought TOR at release I had no choice but to pray it was awesome. By the time GW2 comes out I will know for a fact that it will be awesome due to the amount of coverage. Looking at the 2 company's faith in their own products brings a stark contrast.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Promotion was suppose to run till the 5th but they took it down after only 18 hours. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by jpnz

Lets logically break this post down since there are zero factually correct information. :)

SWTOR , although still hanging in the air is obviously a lost of over quarter billion dollars

How anyone can get the '250Million' figure when EA's financial statements do not mention this is puzzling.

EALouse's of '300Million' is now considered false btw.

coupled with failure with what was sopposed to be sure shot : best franchise in the world + best developer + hugamonguous budget

I never realized a game that's 2 months old is looked at as a 'failure'.

Oh! That '2Million box sales' must have been a lie then too?

If any so-called 'investors' gets fooled by that 'sold X million' statement; they deserve to lose money.

Financial due dilligence anyone? We are talking about millions of dollars here.

Your hatred towards a game while puzzling is nothing new in this forum but at least try to get ONE fact right. :(

The problem here is some people believe forums and only believe forums, statements toward investors aren't even "believed" by these folks. It's all a lie, except what Joe from some town with a population of 10 has to say, that's the tr00ff...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Ok, so first off this isnt directly MMO related, but i personally believe that it has to do with the dismal failure that is SWTOR.

Apparently now if you pre-order Mass Effect 3, they will give you a free copy of Battlefield 3:

http://bf3blog.com/2012/02/preorder-mass-effect-3-get-battlefield-3-free/

The Mass Effect series is EA's primary cash cow.  This shows that they basically have no faith in it performing well since they're bundling the one actually properly made, quality game that has been released under EA in many years.

when you bought DA2 you got ME2 for free.

that's normal EA behaviour, nothing desperate. it's called marketing :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"