Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A flaw in the WvWvW setup...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is a maximum of  500 players allowed in each of the 4 areas, now imagine that me and my friends march intoo a zone with an army of 400. .. then none of the 2 other servers can get enough people in that zone to defend anything...

On top of that most people will probably want to fight in the middle zone...  which makes that zone easilly overpopulated... and when the zone is full, noboddy can tresspass through it to other zones...   I think the 500 people/zone max will call out for a lot of frustrations, when there is an important battle going on and people can't join it...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Maybe but I doubt we'll see those kinds of numbers anyway.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

This is spectulation at best. We still do not have the exact details refering to the mechanics of the WvWvW population.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There is a maximum of  500 players allowed in each of the 4 areas, now imagine that me and my friends march intoo a zone with an army of 400. .. then none of the 2 other servers can get enough people in that zone to defend anything...

On top of that most people will probably want to fight in the middle zone...  which makes that zone easilly overpopulated... and when the zone is full, noboddy can tresspass through it to other zones...   I think the 500 people/zone max will call out for a lot of frustrations, when there is an important battle going on and people can't join it...

Time will tell and they plan on [attempting] to increase that number.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

If you have 400 friends that all play GW2 on the same server as you and you can get them all to log in at the same time for a coordinated attack, you may be the best Guild Leader that has ever existed.  That's 10 old-school WoW 40 man raids, simultaneously.  You know how hard it was to keep a single 40 man raid together all the way through MC or BWL, especially when you were learning the fights?

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

The issue has plagued MMOs for years and is still current. 

It's the main reason why new MMOs focus on BG/Warzone/Warfronts, where controlling populations is managable. Cause nobody wants this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhwdQ0ReLg

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

Well if they cap and area at 500 total and make 166 per side caps as well, problem solved.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It's a possible flaw that I wouldn't mind seeing addressed by ANet.  You should submit that the next time someone is soliciting for questions to ask of ANet.  I'd like to know how they will manage the balancing.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I think if people will group up in that large of a group they will lose that weeks battle. There are scores of objectives that requires people to spread out all over, otherwise you start losing supply. Without supply your going to be hosed.

I'm pretty sure those numbers aren't hard numbers...they'll probably be able to scale depending on faction populations. Also 2 other factions could join together to oppose one side it it becomes too large.

You never now though, some people just like to mess with the system. Not sure if anything is 100% grief proof.

Archlinux ftw

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I have never seen 500 players in 1 zone in any MMO in my entire life; and I have played some WoW (the most "popular" MMO) on a high pop server.  500 is a LOT of players.  And, of course, as an above poster said, all these numbers--in this thread and others--are merely speculatory at present time. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Even if a server gets all 500 people into a single zone, which is unlikely, this just means there are no people of this server in any other zone. Like, their own borderlands. Which isn't exactly recommended.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I dont think there is anything to say this is not managed is there?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

This assumes that one side can actually have that many players in any given map, which will likely not be the case. I expect there will be a cap on the number of players allowed from each side - say, 200 players per side per map for a maximum of 600 (which is not unreasonable given that they haven't yet done optimization passes and expect the number to be at least a little higher than 500).

At the end of the day, though, there WILL be problems, annoyances and things that are all around "less than desirable" with WvWvW. It's unavoidable, in large part thanks to technological limitations. For instance, there are likely going to be que's. People will whine and complain about this, I'm sure, but the fact of the matter is, having 5000 players fighting simultanously in a single instance on the same map just isn't possible on a practical level (I'm sure if every player was guarenteed to have a lightning-fast gaming PC and a 100mpb low-latency broadband connection it could work, but obviously that won't be the case).

This is in part why they are treating WvWvW as a more "casual," not-completely-100%-balanced form of PVP (compared to the hyper-competitive eSport Arena version of PVP).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I dont understand if you are complaining that the number is too small or too big image

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by Kuppa

I dont understand if you are complaining that the number is too small or too big image

He is saying that if the TOTAL_NUM_OF_PLAYERS = 500 and if ONE server gets 400 people to fight other servers might have to split the rest 100 slots. But that doesnt make any sense. I think there is some system in place to balance that.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by killion81

If you have 400 friends that all play GW2 on the same server as you and you can get them all to log in at the same time for a coordinated attack, you may be the best Guild Leader that has ever existed.  That's 10 old-school WoW 40 man raids, simultaneously.  You know how hard it was to keep a single 40 man raid together all the way through MC or BWL, especially when you were learning the fights?

Back in the old DAoC days, the Zerg (all people of one realm traveling together in a PvP area) consisted of hundreds of "realm" friends. Zerggroups of hundreds of players can be create through global server chatchannels.. and beleive me, this will happen

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Homitu

I have never seen 500 players in 1 zone in any MMO in my entire life; and I have played some WoW (the most "popular" MMO) on a high pop server.  500 is a LOT of players.  And, of course, as an above poster said, all these numbers--in this thread and others--are merely speculatory at present time. 

Take it you were not present for the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj during Vanilla WoW?  Now I can't attest to an exact count but there were so many players {as well as enemies} that not everyone was showing up on screen, plus it was laggy as hell. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Bunks

Well if they cap and area at 500 total and make 166 per side caps as well, problem solved.

A cap that is a 3rd of the zone cap will never happen. The intention is for the other 2 sides to have to band together to oppose a stronger force if the situation arises. A cap of somewhere around 250 would make more sense.

Originally posted by thedarkess

Originally posted by Kuppa

He is saying that if the TOTAL_NUM_OF_PLAYERS = 500 and if ONE server gets 400 people to fight other servers might have to split the rest 100 slots. But that doesnt make any sense. I think there is some system in place to balance that.

agreed

It happened in DAoC, resulting in horrible framerates of 0,05 and 0,1 fps   , as back in those days the graphics could not be handled.  It was not so much the network connections lagging, but more the graphics... trying to create 500 different players with different armors and different collors

It happened in DAoC, resulting in horrible framerates of 0,05 and 0,1 fps   , as back in those days the graphics could not be handled.  It was not so much the network connections lagging, but more the graphics... trying to create 500 different players with different armors and different collors

Aion also had that problem. Im not sure if they ever fixed it or not. Time will tell how the WvW mechanic works in regards of player numbers and specially performance.

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Bunks

A cap that is a 3rd of the zone cap will never happen. The intention is for the other 2 sides to have to band together to oppose a stronger force if the situation arises. A cap of somewhere around 250 would make more sense.

I agree with you Kabaal, but if zone limit is about 500, then i would expect a max number of players of around 200 by server side...

Tough as far as we know by now, there wil not be any limits at all.... But i am sure this will change during beta.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I don't really see the point of a zerg like that though in this type of setup. Sure for griefing purposes, but i think your just likely to cause your server to fail. Getting that many people to agree to become losers would be a hard sell unless they're protesting something.

Archlinux ftw

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

4 Different maps with 500 players each. 

I hope

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

I take it you have never seen a mass zerg gulid before? There was more then one guild in Warhammer who could pull this number and then some.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Nivisiru

I take it you have never seen a mass zerg gulid before? There was more then one guild in Warhammer who could pull this number and then some.

I've seen zerg guilds that have 400+ members.  I've never seen one that could organize enough to mobilize 400 people.