Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't get it to work. Please Help.

Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Member Posts: 193

The client only runs if I'm not connected to the internet (it freezes at he log in screen if I am online), immediately I disconnect the client works again. I then reconnect to the internet and it's fine, but it won't get past the:

Logging In

Establishing Connection

Dialogue

Also I can't post in the customer forums because despite having bought the game I can't get into it to create a character which you need to post in the forums.

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on because an MMO that won't work online isn't all that much fun??? As far as I can see it just won't connect to the server.

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

Comments

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

You have a firewall?

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Member Posts: 193

I'm using Zone Alarm so kind of :)

I tried it with Zone Alarm disabled though, which is what I had to do for Endless Ages and it still did the same .

A good wife deserves more than half the praise, just as a bad one deserves more than half the blame. - Tacitus

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Have you tried to re-install?

Did you download the installation you have or did you buy one of the old boxed sets? If the later, did you download and apply the latest patches?

After that, I would suggest contacting [email protected].

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

I dled it and when it didn't work bought the game and when that didn't work Dled it again so have installed it about 5 times. I figure it's a ahrdware problem or something to do with my connection.

I've contacted support yeah, just hoped some tech wizard may know the answer. ::::19::

Edit: It must be my modem. If I try and load the client with an internet connection established it just freezes and immediately I disconnect it works again. Anyone know what that could be??? I've found new drivers for my modem and it hasn't helped.

• NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

What are your system specs?

I'm Running Windows 98SE.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    768MB Ram
    Radeon 256MB graphics
    Crap Aureon 5.1 Sound (but sound seems to work fine and I get the same problems with this card deactivated and onboard sound running)
    dx 9c
    1MB connection

Nowt flash but it should be good enough.

• NFWolfDudeNFWolfDude Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Dirk_Gently

Edit: It must be my modem. If I try and load the client with an internet connection established it just freezes and immediately I disconnect it works again. Anyone know what that could be??? I've found new drivers for my modem and it hasn't helped.

Is it an internal modem? I usually use broadband, but early on I tried to use my internal modem and it would have various success, freezing and dropping connection if it ever connected. I found a post somewhere that said to try an external modem. It works great with an external modem. I believe the stated reason for this is that the internal modems take a lot of processor with all the interrupt calls and EVE is a CPU intensive application. In any case, internal modems work like crud with EVE but externals seems to work OK from what I have read and in my experience.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    NFWolfDude

Nah I have an external broadband modem. It's weird. I've played NC, PS, SWG, EA and FoMk on this system with no problem but Eve I can't even get to log in. Bloody Computers!!

The full problem is that it consistently freezes at the client screen where "Eve Online Exodus" fades into the spacescape if I am connected to the internet. If I disconnect then the fade completes and the music starts (it also shows the server population) however if I reconnect and click login it will not go past the first stage of the login process "Establish connection to the login server" (It eventually gives the 'transport cannot be connected' error message) though if I disconnect again it will go on to the "Authenticating" stage though obviously it cannot authenticate. If I put Zone Alarm up the client asks permission to connect but once granted it just locks up without seeming to transfer any data. It seems like it isn't connecting to the server.

btw thanks for trying to help guys ::::28::

• thinguythinguy Member Posts: 32

I dled it and when it didn't work bought the game and when that didn't work Dled it again so have installed it about 5 times. I figure it's a ahrdware problem or something to do with my connection.
    I've contacted support yeah, just hoped some tech wizard may know the answer. ::::19::

I downloaded about 12 days ago but it still had to patch. The version I'd downloaded was 2.4.3007 I had to download a patch to get to the current, 2.4.3211.  It should say your version in the lower left of the login screen.    What version are you running?

It's version 2.04.3211 which I think is the right one.

Support have stopped talking to me :( I must've gone through all the answers they have written down.

make sure your zone alarm is disabled -or even uninstall it just to make sure it isn't the problem. Of course reinstall it soon.

You wouldn't happen to have XPs firewall turned on as well?

Also you say you disconnect from the internet and it works.  Are you DSL/Cable or PPP?

So you type your password and hit 'enter' and than it just sits there trying to establish. Have you left it be for several minutes to see if it times out?  This would give a hint if its a communications/network issue or just a software issue.

I'm running 98SE so it isn't the XP firewall. I've tried it with ZA removed and it didn't work.

Originally posted by thinguy
    Also you say you disconnect from the internet and it works. Are you DSL/Cable or PPP?
    So you type your password and hit 'enter' and than it just sits there trying to establish. Have you left it be for several minutes to see if it times out? This would give a hint if its a communications/network issue or just a software issue.

I think I'm on ADSL.

It does time out after several minutes, yes.

High speed internet. Are you using a router to share the connection or is your computer plugged directly into the modem?

Check with your provider or do a google for your provider and Eve (e.g. SBC Eve) and see if their blocking it.

If your using a router it may be blocked in the router?

Open a command prompt and type telnet 157.157.139.10 26000 and see if you connect.

Also do a search in Eve-I.com forums and AFTER searching :) post there.  Its a very active forum and very helpful people.

Originally posted by thinguy
    High speed internet. Are you using a router to share the connection or is your computer plugged directly into the modem?
    Check with your provider or do a google for your provider and Eve (e.g. SBC Eve) and see if their blocking it.
    If your using a router it may be blocked in the router?
    Open a command prompt and type telnet 157.157.139.10 26000 and see if you connect.
    Also do a search in Eve-I.com forums and AFTER searching :) post there. Its a very active forum and very helpful people.

I'm direct connecting and using wanadoo who don't seem to have any problems with Eve. It basically is at the point where the moment I allow eve to attempt to connect to the internet, either to check the server or connect to it, the visual perma-freezes (sound carries on though).

I'll check out eve-i.com. Cheers ::::28::

Not letting you on the Eve forums when you have already bought the game is a pain in the arse though I must say. Especially when support talks to you twice and then hides.

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I have the very same problem! Please post it if you got the answer. I'm actively trying to find the problem too.

Well, not the same problem. Mine just crashes as soon as I get to the login screen, but it doesn't when I do it offline.

OK, will do, but I'm not holding out much hope. ::L^(::

I'm going to format. I'll tell you if it works afterwards.

'The format worked. This time I didn't use zonealarm, because I have the feeling it was responsable.

This time I use sygate. Also free.

Well congrats ::::39::

It didn't work for me unfortunately, get to the same point where Sygate asks to connect, I allow it and nothing happens.

Bugger.

Well congrats ::::39::

It didn't work for me unfortunately, get to the same point where Sygate asks to connect, I allow it and nothing happens.
    Bugger.

What happens when you do this

It can't, the connection timed out.

It can't, the connection timed out.

That means its not the Eve client. It has to be your PC or network hardware or provider.

Got another machine, maybe a friends, you can hookup and see if they can connect or telnet? If they can than you know its your PC.

OK thanks for the help guys I've fixed it. I clean installed on another hard-drive and booted off that which seemed to work. It'll get confusing but nevermind. image

• Demian_SkyDemian_Sky Member Posts: 21
    Ah, yes, I had the same problem, I believe.  You see, an automatic patch download will begin before you can make a character, etc.  On one occassion, I just left at the starting "connecting" screen and came back an hour or so later--- the patch was downloaded and all was well.  When I had formatted my computer, I had the same problem and downloaded the patch manually from the website.  Keep trying, though, EVE is worth it :-)