Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$10 digital download from amazon today

RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Just wanted to give people a heads up that FFXIV is on sale on Amazon.com for $10 digital download. I've always been weary of this game due to the cratastic reviews, but I keep hearing its come a long way. I played FFXI for about 2 years, and for $10, why not? :)

Joined - July 2004

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Hmmm. Well on second thought, save yourself $10 and skip this one. 3 hours in and I want to /wrist myself. What a shame...such a BEAUTIFUL game.

Joined - July 2004

• TwiggLeTwiggLe Member UncommonPosts: 85

I was actually coming here to see if there was enough changes to make it worth the $10 entry fee...

Even if I didn't continue after the first 30 days (are they even charging for this now?)

• nickellnickell Member Posts: 2

Its still pretty quirky to play. The UI is still very very clunky imo, tho there are still people that love the game. The main reason to play now is that the game is undergoing many, many changes. And for those who stick it out will have a few special items and experiences that will not be available after they launch 2.0 in about a year. Special items like a goobbue mount for one, and a unique story line quest that is supposed to be active only during this 'paid beta' period.

Just about every couple of weeks to a month they are revamping this, changing that. The game is changing from head to toe, or at least thats the impression I have gathered from what I read off http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/   There is lots of infomation at the bottom of that page, detailing what and when they plan to change.

I love everything about the game, but the combat and UI. They are both so damn clunky.

Joined - July 2004

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Are you using a controller? The menus are laid out like a console FF game, and XIV works best with one.

Nah, I hate controllers. Keyboard and mouse or nothing for me. Like I said, I loved FFXI 6-8 years ago, but this turn-basey feel of combat just doesn't do it for me anymore. I think I'll just keep busy with some Fallen Earth and Tribes: Ascend until GW2 comes out.

Joined - July 2004

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

I just did the Amazon deal. Can you delete the character and start over or do I need to purchase another character slot?

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

In the words of the South Park Margaritaville episode...

Aaaannnnddd it's gone!

$19.60 today. The digital download is $19.99 lol.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

Yeah, I just noticed that. It didnt say that the deal was going to be up anytime soon or anything.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im sure when 2.0 relaunch day comes the price will be around 40$-50$ again so i might get it now for 10$ and save the game for 2.0 relaunch.

is now 19.60 on Amazon.

Originally posted by rojo6934

im sure when 2.0 relaunch day comes the price will be around 40$-50$ again so i might get it now for 10$ and save the game for 2.0 relaunch.

I doubt this.

At that point, they'll need to do everything they can to entice gamers to give them another fair shot and that will be hard to do. A pricetag competing with games that haven't yet disappointed the same gamers will not be the way to do that.

I'm not talking about returning gamers, who will of course not have to buy a new box. I'm talking about people like me who've never owned or played the game before but have heard the overwhelming opinion of the community, gaming websites, and gaming magazines.

They'll also be doing everything they can to get those websites and magazines to approach the game with enthusiasm to freshly review it.

It will be difficult and anything above $30 will not be a way to get there.

Yeah, I agree. People will not want to spend full retail price on a re-release of this game. 

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Ugh... Memories of an 80 dollars better spent getting wasted/laid.

Originally posted by Pharkas

Yeah, I agree. People will not want to spend full retail price on a re-release of this game. 

Funny, ain't it? I can't see an American company sticking with a failure. SE has to know that XIV may forever be a financial failure but they're so committed to overcoming the embarrassment that they keep working away on 2.0. An American AAA game that had the same reception would have gone F2P if not shut down its servers. SE instead gave players months of free playtime, and publicly apologized--rather than the American counterpart of spinning facts so that they seem like big deals.

I love the whole culture of honor and shame, or the snapshot that the average american understands about it.

Originally posted by Deathofsage

Originally posted by Pharkas

Funny, ain't it? I can't see an American company sticking with a failure. SE has to know that XIV may forever be a financial failure but they're so committed to overcoming the embarrassment that they keep working away on 2.0. An American AAA game that had the same reception would have gone F2P if not shut down its servers. SE instead gave players months of free playtime, and publicly apologized--rather than the American counterpart of spinning facts so that they seem like big deals.

I love the whole culture of honor and shame, or the snapshot that the average american understands about it.

And I think that exactly it, too. I agree with that.