Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLAY RYZOM

bishop916bishop916 Member UncommonPosts: 49

This game is the game you are looking for if you are a sandbox player.

That is all.

- B916

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Nice I completely forgot about this game. Going to try this now :D thanks.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Yeah, just been watching a live stream on massively. Just realised how much I missed it and how good the visuals are for an 8 year old game. Bored of the Tor for a little bit, got a hankering for some sandbox action and can't face going back to Eve just yet. So I  am Ryzom bound.................Except you still can't jump can you?..........Well, I'm going in anyway.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by spookydom

Yeah, just been watching a live stream on massively. Just realised how much I missed it and how good the visuals are for an 8 year old game. Bored of the Tor for a little bit, got a hankering for some sandbox action and can't face going back to Eve just yet. So I  am Ryzom bound.................Except you still can't jump can you?..........Well, I'm going in anyway.

No jumping am afraid 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by micona

Originally posted by spookydom

No jumping am afraid 

Yeah thought so. That's cool. I can't jump in real life either ;)

• GreenKnight1776GreenKnight1776 Member Posts: 57

For some reason the legion of "OMG I WANT A REAL SANDBOX IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS OMG" players are still looking for the next big thing. ArcheAge probably. But Ryzom is here & it's the best of its kind. 

At least it's still around and playable. Ask a Spellborn fan sometimes how losing your MMO home feels...

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I wished it had more open PvP but i can recommend Ryzom as a a good game and good sandbox experience till Archage or some other new sandbox title.

That said there are PvP regions and a new one is on the way with the next patch. (The marauder city patch supposed to come next)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Originally posted by bishop916

This game is the game you are looking for if you are a sandbox player.

That is all.

- B916

Sir, yes, sir.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Yep, for all the people looking for a PvE sandbox, this is it.

If I were to describe it in one word, it would be original.

Everything from the lore to the skill system to the art to the mob herding is unseen in any other MMO that I know of.

Give it a shot, you might be surprised. The graphics are outdated but the art style more than makes up for it imo.

As with most sandbox games though, it has a low population which can get very boring.

• lonexilesoullonexilesoul Member Posts: 15

Time to dig some PR supremes... Kitin patrol still running around?

///Booster

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I have not played Ryzom in a very long time but what I remember about is that it very much lived up to Sand Box. Sadly it was just that... a box of sand. Imagiine just sitting in a box of sand. No shovels, no trucks, no pales..hell not even a stick. There wasn't anything to do but grind or RP if you are in to that kind of thing. A good sand box gives you tools to play and create with. Ryzom had nothing. Maybe times have changed though.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by GreenHell

There wasn't anything to do but grind or RP

Gonna just narrow that down to grind now.  I was rolling up in Silan when I met a fellow homin named Cumdumpster.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm yah know i loved Ryzom back when i payed it for a few years but i quit when they had all those issues about staying online, i think DarkFall was coming out soon and i needed a MMO break for a month or 3.

I think Ryzom has a serious issue with how overwhelming the game can be to a new player, the skills and bricking can be very confusing.

Also back when i played the PvP was pretty meh, not sure if its been imporved or even done away with.

Anywho i loved it when i played it, had some of the most creative art direction ever. I am doing SPRPG's right now (no not SWTOR) well until TSW and GW2 get released.

Lolipops !

• GeeTeeEffOhGeeTeeEffOh Member Posts: 731

I'd love to. I downloaded this game and gave the trial a spin. I enjoyed what I saw. In some ways, very reminiscent of when I played SWG. It looks like everything I want in an MMO. But I couldn't shake the "ghost town" feeling of the starter zone. For that reason, I couldn't push through the trial. I am a bit gun shy of getting into a game that is designed around group and multiplayer content (Not Soloing) where i am wondering if the player base is large enough to handle that. I don't want to have to rely on the Vets to come bail out the noob, but at the same time, if it's impossible to get through the content otherwise, simply because there is no one else to group with, then the game forces me to be at the mercy of the veteran player base. I hate comming in fresh into mature games where for the most part, the entire player base is established. I went that route when I 1st picked up Anarchy Online. I have recently left that game due to changes implemented by the developers that I found to be unacceptable, but before that, I felt I had to overcome a deficient player base among other things. Ultimately I loved that game for what it was and continued to play for a good long time. But I can't play that game any longer.

I am not afraid of a complicated game, but I am afraid of a game where playing as intended becomes a challenge in and of itself.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

I'd love to. I downloaded this game and gave the trial a spin. I enjoyed what I saw. In some ways, very reminiscent of when I played SWG. It looks like everything I want in an MMO. But I couldn't shake the "ghost town" feeling of the starter zone. For that reason, I couldn't push through the trial. I am a bit gun shy of getting into a game that is designed around group and multiplayer content (Not Soloing) where i am wondering if the player base is large enough to handle that. I don't want to have to rely on the Vets to come bail out the noob, but at the same time, if it's impossible to get through the content otherwise, simply because there is no one else to group with, then the game forces me to be at the mercy of the veteran player base. I hate comming in fresh into mature games where for the most part, the entire player base is established. I went that route when I 1st picked up Anarchy Online. I have recently left that game due to changes implemented by the developers that I found to be unacceptable, but before that, I felt I had to overcome a deficient player base among other things. Ultimately I loved that game for what it was and continued to play for a good long time. But I can't play that game any longer.

I am not afraid of a complicated game, but I am afraid of a game where playing as intended becomes a challenge in and of itself.

There is a role you can play which is challenging and rewarding and pretty much everyone is soloing. Try to set up a business with goods which you craft yourself and digging material yourself.

Of course there are crafters in most guilds which provide their guildies with stuff but you probably will find your niche.  For looted raw materials you can always asks for on the fly created teams and boss hunts.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by GeeTeeEffOh

There is a role you can play which is challenging and rewarding and pretty much everyone is soloing. Try to set up a business with goods which you craft yourself and digging material yourself.

Of course there are crafters in most guilds which provide their guildies with stuff but you probably will find your niche.  For looted raw materials you can always asks for on the fly created teams and boss hunts.

I do enjoy crafting in my MMOs. It's a very big part of my enjoyment. However, it's not the only thing I focus on. I want balance, I want a game where my crafting can be extensive but not at the cost of my combat skills. 

This was the case in Anarchy Online and SWG. While both have(had) extensive crafting systems They did not meet my need.

Anarchy's Trade Skill system is not really available until late in the game unless you want a toon that can't function well.

And SWG had crafting and combat professions that were mutually exclusive...Assuming you wanted to be able to do either effectively.

I am looking for an MMO where I can make my own stuff, then go out an actually use it.  While that sounds like a simple request, it really doens't exist.

So....That said.

How does Ryzom fit that bill?

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Ryzom fit it pretty well, but you need to enjoy also the foraging system that's not a simple click and gather but requires to learn a unique skill based on a sort of minigame, where the gathered material can even kill you in one hit.

Ryzom is based on freedom: you can be a great crafter and a great warrior at the same time, it's just the time you wanna invest in the skills at you rdisposal. You can even became a crafter, a warrior and a mage, without any sacrifice.

Of course, when you decide to be a warrior, the armor needed will prevent you to start foraging or do a good  magic action, on the other side, once you switch your outfit, you can do whatever you want. The switch is not instant tho, but requires some time (seconds). It's normal that you cannot be different classes at once, but you can be anything you want at different moment.

On the other side, Ryzom is a survival game, where your survival caps are based solely on your experience, and the gathering of materials can be a very dangerous (but also, imho, a very fun) job.

Personally, just the harvesting system, absolutely unique, coupled with a deep crafting system,. is enough to try the game.

Most crafters use their own stuff in Ryzom.

At beginning it can be a bit frustrating (expecially the harvesting), but it became awesome at higher skill levels.

Personally, when i started ryzom, in 2004, i was an usual tanker coming from some other mmo. I started crafting/harvesting much later, but actually the reason i'm still here enjoying the game is because of the harvesting/crafting and not for the combat.

The other side of the medal is that the system is a bit grindy.

This was the long answer.

The short answer is: yes, in Ryzom you can make your own stuff and actually use it in the world. It exists.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

Originally posted by Gilgameesh

Ryzom fit it pretty well, but you need to enjoy also the foraging system that's not a simple click and gather but requires to learn a unique skill based on a sort of minigame, where the gathered material can even kill you in one hit.

Ryzom is based on freedom: you can be a great crafter and a great warrior at the same time, it's just the time you wanna invest in the skills at you rdisposal. You can even became a crafter, a warrior and a mage, without any sacrifice.

Of course, when you decide to be a warrior, the armor needed will prevent you to start foraging or do a good  magic action, on the other side, once you switch your outfit, you can do whatever you want. The switch is not instant tho, but requires some time (seconds). It's normal that you cannot be different classes at once, but you can be anything you want at different moment.

On the other side, Ryzom is a survival game, where your survival caps are based solely on your experience, and the gathering of materials can be a very dangerous (but also, imho, a very fun) job.

Personally, just the harvesting system, absolutely unique, coupled with a deep crafting system,. is enough to try the game.

Most crafters use their own stuff in Ryzom.

At beginning it can be a bit frustrating (expecially the harvesting), but it became awesome at higher skill levels.

Personally, when i started ryzom, in 2004, i was an usual tanker coming from some other mmo. I started crafting/harvesting much later, but actually the reason i'm still here enjoying the game is because of the harvesting/crafting and not for the combat.

The other side of the medal is that the system is a bit grindy.

This was the long answer.

The short answer is: yes, in Ryzom you can make your own stuff and actually use it in the world. It exists.

I have already DL'd and installed the game. I am trying it out again.