Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the crafting ingame?

NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

I´ve only played some characters up to lvl 10 to feel out the different classes. And the combat is really awesome. I love the none TAB target action. But I haven´t tried or done any crafting in this game. Is it any good, or is it just there to fill the void? As I like to craft in MMOs I wonder if this one has crafting that is fun and interactive, or if it´s more like the AION/WoW type of crafting?

Comments

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

Aion like

confusing and meaningless hehe. 

I tried it a few times and it was just too complicated (not in a good way) for me to enjoy. 

the hack n slash system is what this game has going for it

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by lalartu

Aion like

I tried it a few times and it was just too complicated (not in a good way) for me to enjoy. 

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that. I read that the enchantment of items is like the one in Aion as well, so I thought the crafting probably would be the same. Well, at least, as you say, the combat could be worth it alone. To bad we can´t have both.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

graphics are a lot better than Aion too and character models are amazing

combat is tons of fun

I just wish it had Aion's PVP/RVR option too, but it doesnt

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Norpan

Aion like

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that. I read that the enchantment of items is like the one in Aion as well, so I thought the crafting probably would be the same. Well, at least, as you say, the combat could be worth it alone. To bad we can´t have both.

The combat has already motivated me to go to 58, however it would be nice to have everything in one. Well see how things go as the game gets new updates.

Tera has graphics, size, monster AI, politics and combat(PvE and PvP) going for it, hopefully Bluehole listens to us and adds to that list.

Especially the planned monster invasions, especially multi-server regions for PvP and PvE as well as the server invasions for dream shards. 

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

Aion like

It takes time to learn it all, which imo is a good thing, so the confusing part is only for people who havent tried this kind of system before.

Meaningless it is most definatly not, crafting mixed with the enchantment system and you can make extremely powerful gear.

The crafting system actually seems very solid to me, thank god its not like traditional western crafting systems.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Although I have really enjoyed the sneak peak days, I find the crafting one of the most shallow systems I have seen in an MMO.

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Although I have really enjoyed the sneak peak days, I find the crafting one of the most shallow systems I have seen in an MMO.

And thats because you have only seen a very small part of it, its far better than the typical crafting systems that WOW/Rift/LOTRO has.

The possibilities later on are really good.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Velera

Aion like

It takes time to learn it all, which imo is a good thing, so the confusing part is only for people who havent tried this kind of system before.

Meaningless it is most definatly not, crafting mixed with the enchantment system and you can make extremely powerful gear.

The crafting system actually seems very solid to me, thank god its not like traditional western crafting systems.

I gave crafting a short try as well, and think it's kinda weird... Making items you need to have 50 points in the craft itself, but to get there you have to harvest a lot of materials and craft 50 (somewhat) useless materials as well (costing around 2500 gold total to get it there, which is around 10-20% of what you have at level 11). When you finally can make a level 10 weapon, you find that it's less powerful than the one you already got from the quest you did. Then, the level 15 and 20 weapons can also be made with the 50 skillpoints you have. This did kinda freak me out - why you can make a pretty underpowered level 10 weapon with the same skillpoints as the level 15 and 20 weapons..? Not to mention, the 'key material' to craft the weapon is a somewhat rare drop (I had only 3 and I know from other players to have none at all).

At this point I thought to forfeit on the whole crafting thing for now and will wait till TERA is release to give it a serious go.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

And thats because you have only seen a very small part of it, its far better than the typical crafting systems that WOW/Rift/LOTRO has.

Can you elaborate a bit? I'd like to how it's better. I've only had acces to the recent beta so have no knowledge of the higher level crafting.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

Originally posted by tyrannis

Can you elaborate a bit? I'd like to how it's better. I've only had acces to the recent beta so have no knowledge of the higher level crafting.

First thing is, the crafting in TERA is a grind, just like it was in Aion, theres a chance to fail when crafting stuff, so this might frustrate some people, personally I like it.

Its a risk vs reward system, you can craft really good stuff later on, and then use the enchantment system to empower those items, I believe +12 is the highest you can go right now, if you do succeed in making such items, they are very close to the best possible gear in the game.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

First thing is, the crafting in TERA is a grind, just like it was in Aion, theres a chance to fail when crafting stuff, so this might frustrate some people, personally I like it.

Its a risk vs reward system, you can craft really good stuff later on, and then use the enchantment system to empower those items, I believe +12 is the highest you can go right now, if you do succeed in making such items, they are very close to the best possible gear in the game.

Thank you. I'm not a big fan of the RNG system that Aion had but it was really hardcore. If it's toned down a bit I find it rewarding as well.  This is good news.  Thanks again.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

But ain't this system only based on luck? When it comes down to fail or success when crafting or enchanting a object?

But ain't this system only based on luck? When it comes down to fail or success when crafting or enchanting a object?

As I said Risk vs Reward.

Yes theres a certain degree of RNG to this system, and some people will not like that, personally I find it great.

I would like to add its not even close to the RNG that Aion had, its much easier to obtain a good level enchant, but there is still a degree of luck involved.

As I said Risk vs Reward.

Yes theres a certain degree of RNG to this system, and some people will not like that, personally I find it great.

I would like to add its not even close to the RNG that Aion had, its much easier to obtain a good level enchant, but there is still a degree of luck involved.

Some like this. I don´t personally. But at least the combat alone seems to make Tera a game worth playing. To bad, as some1 here mentioned, that they don´t have different fractions etc. Would have made PVP even more fun, and not to have to wait for end game politics etc to kick in for it to become really fun. The duells are OK, but that won´t calm the PVPer inside me. :P

• soltysplsoltyspl Member UncommonPosts: 58

In context of gear, there's a nice overview at

http://atra-astrum.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11751

Relatively fresh, though the system is pretty horrid (modulo personal preferences).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DStuff

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Some like this. I don´t personally. But at least the combat alone seems to make Tera a game worth playing. To bad, as some1 here mentioned, that they don´t have different fractions etc. Would have made PVP even more fun, and not to have to wait for end game politics etc to kick in for it to become really fun. The duells are OK, but that won´t calm the PVPer inside me. :P

Factions are terrible and I'm extremely happy we dont have that here.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Aion like

It was pretty simple to me at least.

Not anything strange, you learn to craft the item by buying or looting a recipe. Then you get all the ingredients which is some pre made and some stuff you gather yourself, click on the crafting station and just make the item.

Compared to Vanguard and EQ2 it felt really basic, maybe a little more complicated than Wow.

Not horrible but nothing special either.

Originally posted by Kuro1n

Factions are terrible and I'm extremely happy we dont have that here.

Well, I love to PVP myself. And with the politics in place there can certainly be quite nice once we get there. But before that we don´t have any other factions to fight or anything. It´s duells and that gets pretty boring pretty fast. Cause from what I´ve read the battlegrounds are all limited for high lvl only as well. Correct me if I´m wrong. But this should be a topic of it´s own. This thread  was about the crafting in game. My bad.