Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How "free" is it?

UnholyVashXUnholyVashX Member Posts: 49

I'm willing to pay for a good game, let that be known, but I shy away from freemium games because they usually end up costing more than I would just pay on WoW for example. So if I was to play it and really enjoy it, how costly will it get and how mandatory is it to spend money in this game? I.E. Do I need to drop 40$ for the best gear or is using money just a shortcut to the same end?

Bro you are playing LOTRO like it owes you money - Grunt187
Anticipation : TERA

Comments

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Its free. you dont have to spend a dine.

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

Yes if you dont mind bad game design, nothing to do at cap and clunky combat...it's free.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I'd not reccomend fallen earth and I used to be a commander subscriber and a old p2p player, the devs seem to be douing anything they can lately to destroy the game. First they changed mat nodes which bascally made being a crafter more of a pain in the ass than it already was. It used to be random nodes and then at certan spots you could find a concentration of 20-30 nodes in a very small spot. Bascally they removed all the concentrations, pvp towns were't touched though but the pvp area's tend to only drop specific rarer items. So bascally their is a major shortage of commonly used componnents. Then they messed with the AP system that was tbh fine how it was before. Missions/quests still are nto worth doing since you can get way more exp killing random mobs for the travel time for 1 mission step, only ones worth doing is the main storyline, and the missions that award AP (SKill points)

The combat is boring as shit too, due to no real AI on the mobs, and its fairly clunky, Making 500 rounds of ammo takes 23 mins or so more if your a freebie player. But you can usually use them in less time least if pistol user. Only unique aspect of FE really is the fact that when you craft your not restricted from doing anything, you can still fight, do quests and stuff. You can even craft while offline.

The devs ruined the whole scavenger aspect of the game, back when I played last you could bascalyl scavenge for what you needed, but in a patch not to long ago they now force you to buy certan componnents that are used alot from npc's, Which mainly hurts new players. That and the material node changes wrecked it too. The endgame in fe is pvp based, if your looking for boring wow-like pve raids your not going to find them here. The problem is actually finding people to kill in pvp, the playerbase is fairly small tbh.

Since its f2p I always say give it a try, game does have one of the better communitys I have seen with actually active gm's. It even has a help channel specifically for people to ask questions. Yellow name=GM green=Hazmat (bascally a voulenteer who helps people during his play time with questions).

The game lacks anything of a decent tutorial and not much is ever explained so its either you ask or trial and error.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• UnholyVashXUnholyVashX Member Posts: 49

That is disappointing to hear. Lately I've been looking for a good Sandbox MMO (with less of a startup than EVE) and I'm running out of any that people are willing to recommend. I don't even mind paying, I just want a good quality MMO for once.

Bro you are playing LOTRO like it owes you money - Grunt187
    Anticipation : TERA

• NorpanNorpan Member CommonPosts: 319

Originally posted by Siveria

I'd not reccomend fallen earth and I used to be a commander subscriber and a old p2p player, the devs seem to be douing anything they can lately to destroy the game. First they changed mat nodes which bascally made being a crafter more of a pain in the ass than it already was. It used to be random nodes and then at certan spots you could find a concentration of 20-30 nodes in a very small spot. Bascally they removed all the concentrations, pvp towns were't touched though but the pvp area's tend to only drop specific rarer items. So bascally their is a major shortage of commonly used componnents. Then they messed with the AP system that was tbh fine how it was before. Missions/quests still are nto worth doing since you can get way more exp killing random mobs for the travel time for 1 mission step, only ones worth doing is the main storyline, and the missions that award AP (SKill points)

The combat is boring as shit too, due to no real AI on the mobs, and its fairly clunky, Making 500 rounds of ammo takes 23 mins or so more if your a freebie player. But you can usually use them in less time least if pistol user. Only unique aspect of FE really is the fact that when you craft your not restricted from doing anything, you can still fight, do quests and stuff. You can even craft while offline.

The devs ruined the whole scavenger aspect of the game, back when I played last you could bascalyl scavenge for what you needed, but in a patch not to long ago they now force you to buy certan componnents that are used alot from npc's, Which mainly hurts new players. That and the material node changes wrecked it too. The endgame in fe is pvp based, if your looking for boring wow-like pve raids your not going to find them here. The problem is actually finding people to kill in pvp, the playerbase is fairly small tbh.

Since its f2p I always say give it a try, game does have one of the better communitys I have seen with actually active gm's. It even has a help channel specifically for people to ask questions. Yellow name=GM green=Hazmat (bascally a voulenteer who helps people during his play time with questions).

The game lacks anything of a decent tutorial and not much is ever explained so its either you ask or trial and error.

I´m new to the game, and I have no problems what so ever with how the scavanging is set up. You shouldn´t be served everything on a plate if you ask me. There should be some work put behind getting the mats, and also putting rare mats in PVP zones boost the PVP aspect, and makes it even more interesting. I´m still on my F2P account but will soon invest in a sub. Haven´t decided wich one to go for so far, but the game is REALLY fun, and the crafting system is rather complex and good. I like that alot.

• rixkrixk Member Posts: 45

It has nothing to do with wanting things served on the plate.

It is kinda like disabling set spawns for mobs and scattering them randomly over the map. When you would do quests then, you would run around for hours simply to look for the necessary mobs. When you have to do that day after day, I doubt running around aimlessly to complete your task would be fun.

Originally posted by rixk

It is kinda like disabling set spawns for mobs and scattering them randomly over the map. When you would do quests then, you would run around for hours simply to look for the necessary mobs. When you have to do that day after day, I doubt running around aimlessly to complete your task would be fun.

Well I haven´t had ANY problems getting mats for crafting. It´s the opposite so far. I have to much mats. I need to invest in a real account cause the 8 hours of crafting I get from F2P only last m 8 hours per day, and I easily fill that, since you also craft when your logged off. So I still can´t see the problem in what they´ve done. In my eyes it´s seems like they´ve made it less carebeary and made it more interesting with the placement of mats in PVP zones etc.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i wouldnt pay a dime for this game, much less when the most important aspect of the game is the worst part of it, combat.

Originally posted by Norpan

Well I haven´t had ANY problems getting mats for crafting. It´s the opposite so far. I have to much mats. I need to invest in a real account cause the 8 hours of crafting I get from F2P only last m 8 hours per day, and I easily fill that, since you also craft when your logged off. So I still can´t see the problem in what they´ve done. In my eyes it´s seems like they´ve made it less carebeary and made it more interesting with the placement of mats in PVP zones etc.

Gathering mats is NOT the problem. The problem is, when you need something specifically.

To the pvp  placement I only say this, those who want to pvp, do it anyway. Those who do not want to pvp, wont start doing it even when every resource in game would be put into pvp zones. It is quite stupid to make a game, where pvp is purely optional and then force those, who have opted not to pvp, start pvp-ing.

Gathering mats is NOT the problem. The problem is, when you need something specifically.

To the pvp  placement I only say this, those who want to pvp, do it anyway. Those who do not want to pvp, wont start doing it even when every resource in game would be put into pvp zones. It is quite stupid to make a game, where pvp is purely optional and then force those, who have opted not to pvp, start pvp-ing.

As I said, it´s two sides to every coin. I love it, but I also love PVP, and especially in a game like FE, where the PVP actually means something now that TC comes into play etc. If I wanted to do carebearish crafting I would go for FFXIV. So I guess if your someone that have joined FE and don´t wanna do any PVP at all, only PVE, I guess you should look for other games. Where the PVE is better and where you can gather your mats safely for your crafting. If you on the other hand like PVP and like a rich and complex crafting system, I wouldn´t hesitate a second to give FE a shoot.

As I said, it´s two sides to every coin. I love it, but I also love PVP, and especially in a game like FE, where the PVP actually means something now that TC comes into play etc. If I wanted to do carebearish crafting I would go for FFXIV. So I guess if your someone that have joined FE and don´t wanna do any PVP at all, only PVE, I guess you should look for other games. Where the PVE is better and where you can gather your mats safely for your crafting. If you on the other hand like PVP and like a rich and complex crafting system, I wouldn´t hesitate a second to give FE a shoot.

We are talking here about Fallen Earth or not? When you want to talk about Final Fantasy, guess you are in wrong forum subsection. When I have played a game one way for 2 years, then I think I have every right to voice my concerns, when the game makes 180 degree turns.

If this thread has no other result, then at least people will see, that their playerbase(especially long term customers) means nothing to them, they screw your gaming experience with no hesitation, when they want it.

We are talking here about Fallen Earth or not? When you want to talk about Final Fantasy, guess you are in wrong forum subsection. When I have played a game one way for 2 years, then I think I have every right to voice my concerns, when the game makes 180 degree turns.

If this thread has no other result, then at least people will see, that their playerbase(especially long term customers) means nothing to them, they screw your gaming experience with no hesitation, when they want it.

Some like these changes some don´t. It´s as simple as that. There is always some that will start to rage when developers change stuff. I think this suits the game better. You don´t. Some will think the same as I, some as you. I´m just here to voice the other side of the coin. It´s not like what you think and feel is standard for what every1 will like. Nor is mine. I think we can agree to disagree, and I still think people that haven´t tried it to give it a go since it´s actually F2P now. You´ve got nothing to loose. Except time you put into the game.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

13 posts and no one answerd the OP's question other than a guy who very vaugly posted that its completely free.

What do you spend dollars on in this game?  Is it buy to play (like you need to sub to get past the first map)

Are you renting away fustrations like limited crafting/in game storage space/ gas for mounts

Are you paying to win like with special weapons and ammo and consumables?

The point of the OP's post...is this one of the many F2P games that is far more expensive to play (and get the whole game) than a p2p is?

Anyone with a job and a debit card knows the line that the game is 100% free only holds true for a short time.  Once you get towards endgame, want to compete, or just want a game without the programed fustrations like limited inventory space or limitations that make doing anything take an unacceptable amount of free time.

Originally posted by Crunchy221

13 posts and no one answerd the OP's question other than a guy who very vaugly posted that its completely free.

What do you spend dollars on in this game?  Is it buy to play (like you need to sub to get past the first map)

Are you renting away fustrations like limited crafting/in game storage space/ gas for mounts

Are you paying to win like with special weapons and ammo and consumables?

The point of the OP's post...is this one of the many F2P games that is far more expensive to play (and get the whole game) than a p2p is?

Anyone with a job and a debit card knows the line that the game is 100% free only holds true for a short time.  Once you get towards endgame, want to compete, or just want a game without the programed fustrations like limited inventory space or limitations that make doing anything take an unacceptable amount of free time.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/106950/fallen-earth-now-free-to-play-if-you-can-actually-log-in There you can see what you get and don´t get as a "free" player, or scavnger that they call em in FE. You can do everything but it will take you longer. And it will be hard to be a fulltime crafter on a freeaccount since you get only 8 hours per day to craft on.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Probably one of the best F2P models out there in that nothing is locked to F2P players, subscribers are simply better for certain percentage at doing things. For example, they craft faster than you, etc. You can still craft the same things and all, they're just FASTER at it than you. Stuff like that.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I haven't played in a few months but after playing for about 3 months after it went F2P...I realized that I spent virtually no money at all. Like the poster before me ..it is one of the most free to play games out there. The only variances are time. You get rationed on crafting or it takes you a bit longer to do things  like harvest . In the end tho...you can do everything without exception. (in my experience) . The only thing I purchased was a hat..lol...and a commander crafting kit because it took the place of several crafting kits in my inventory and freed up many slots. The hat turned out to be uglier than it looked in the shop picture so I never ended up  wearing it  for very long.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

It pretty damn free! You dont really ever need to buy anthing from the cash shop unless you want to - most if not all of the stuff there is cosmetic. THe only major restriction is on the amount of hours you can spend crafting per day, but I never really had a problem with that. Only when crafting really big things that take many many hours do you notice it. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by Siveria

I played at releasse for a few months and let me tell you there are 1000 times more nodes around now then back then. Getting materials at least in sector one ...you'd ahve to be blind to not find them.

Sure the game has issues and they are not like to be fixed but its free so I am having fun with it.

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Originally posted by rojo6934

i wouldnt pay a dime for this game, much less when the most important aspect of the game is the worst part of it, combat.

You want crap combat go play Dark Fail...err I mean Dark Fall.

Combat in FE works...there may be an issue or two but for the most part it works fine for me. Combat actually requires you to aim manually at your target to get the best affect. Head shots are the best. Maybe some people just suck at manual aiming.

8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

The game has plenty of missions and stuff to keep PvE people busy. The game has a story arch for each faction and they all tie together in the later lvls. Most pvp folk wouldn't know this.

8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Originally posted by UnholyVashX

I'm willing to pay for a good game, let that be known, but I shy away from freemium games because they usually end up costing more than I would just pay on WoW for example. So if I was to play it and really enjoy it, how costly will it get and how mandatory is it to spend money in this game? I.E. Do I need to drop 40$ for the best gear or is using money just a shortcut to the same end?

YOU can exp the entire game for free all the way to lvl 55. the premium accounts $10,$15,$30 only increase the speed at which you gain exp, scavenge stuff, and prices at which you buy sell to vendors.

You can do all that at a slower rate with a free account. Free accounts get 1 toon per account.

There are cash shop items but they are only items of convience. There are no game bending rule items like uber gear or anything like that(which is really best).

8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760