Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise shutting down today

13»

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Originally posted by Vryheid

Indie developers aim too high on technical aspects when creating sandbox games and MMOs. They shouldn't be afraid to use simplistic graphics if that means they can focus on having functional gameplay and making sure that runs decently on a variety of computers.

People say that, but there are several really well done sandboxes that have poor graphics. Trust me people say they want gameplay, but they really want shiny graphics.

I think people want both. I agree there's a segment of players that can get sucked in by fancy graphics but at this point I don't think it's wrong for folks to want great gameplay along with appealing graphics. Gamers shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the outher. Of course finding games like this to chose from is another story.
  • Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

I posted this in the general gaming topic about this...but in case that gets locked/deleted, since that particular thread doesn't tend to fit there...I'll re-post this here as well

Almost every indie sandbox game fails...why?

1. So many bugs

2. So much unfinished content and content that is listed as a feature, but isn't in-game

3. Most are pure PvP for some reason, there is a lot of players wanting a PvE sandbox (judging by various forums, including this one)

4. Did I mention every indie sandbox game I've seen, has unfinished content and is lacking features? EVE was the same at release, but I guess it was unique enough that it grew into a solid playerbase...an exception and it was also in earlier times when people didn't expect a feature complete, non-buggy game

5. So many bugs...

A successful sandbox game will most likely be made by an AAA company, not an indie one that has too limited of funds for a large sandbox game. Sadly, AAA companies only want to cash in on WoW or make their MMO a singleplayer pay to play RPG.

Also, singleplayer sandboxes (like Minecraft) are vastly different than MMORPG sandboxes. Indie singleplayer sandbox games tend to be a lot more successful, for whatever reason. I guess because MMOs are huge and cost tons of money to make.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

A shame it ended this way.  Before release, I was really looking forward to it.  Sadly, they rushed it, and like so many others, killed it.  RIP

I self identify as a monkey.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

A shame it ended this way.  Before release, I was really looking forward to it.  Sadly, they rushed it, and like so many others, killed it.  RIP

You could not said it any better. At least I hope they will learn something from this.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

The good part is, since Bethesda took the mmo rights to Fallout back from Interplay, these Masthead fools don't get achance to ruin it also.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

The good part is, since Bethesda took the mmo rights to Fallout back from Interplay, these Masthead fools don't get achance to ruin it also.

This is actually ashame.  Theres no doubt the game was broke, but man did it have potential.  They just needed stronger devs...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• 6SlipKnoT66SlipKnoT6 Member CommonPosts: 144

I'm from Bulgaria and I know for a fact from ex Masthead employee, that their artists and ideas were awesome, however they didn't have good programmers. 

• This game sucked.  Good riddance.

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

not surprised, MO may be next

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper

not surprised, MO may be next

How can you even say that, players have stating MO has never had so many players. Quarterly reports be damned.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Arquiteto

Bulgarian developer Masthead Studios announced earlier today that they're shutting down the servers for their post-apocalyptic sandbox MMO Earthrise.

"One year after the launch of the game, we have decided to stop the Earthrise servers. Earthrise was released too early and did not meet the expectations of its fans" said Atanas Atanasov, Director of Masthead Studios. "We did our best to revive the game in 2011, but the time was not enough to keep up with the user requirements. There is a huge interest in high quality open world sandbox MMORPGs, unfortunately the big publishers do not show any interest in the genre. It is unfortunate that low budget companies like ours are trying to bring innovativeness in the already saturated MMO market. I hope that one day an independent studio will be able to release the long anticipated open world sandbox MMO, which everyone is talking about, but no one is making. We tried, but did not succeed. We would like to apologize to those who were disappointed from Earthrise and to thank everyone who supported us during the years."

The studio does mention that the planned free-to-play version for this year may still launch if any investor interest is shown, but there has been no word on this yet.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/09/earthrise-shutting-down-today/#

I think I found the crux of the problem. The correct word would be 'innovations'.

• TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46

I tried the game once using the free trial.  I thought the visuals were stunning but I couldn't get used to the very odd method of controlling combat.

Too bad.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file