Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get "into" Eve....

sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I dont read these forums for Eve much,  when I'm currently 'into' Eve I usually exlusivly use the official forums.

But I quickly glanced over today and my thoughts where "whoa".. lots of thread of people trying to get into eve.. dont understand it... need help.. lose patience or whatever.

So I thought i'd explain how I have recently got back into eve once again because, truth is, Ive been off and on eve for more years than Id care to count.   I know a lot about eve have some great memories and experiences, but I could never really last for long before another game distracted me or I got bored.

So why is it different this time?... well I'd done my usual thing of re-subbing to check out the latest expansion.  Now, I dont know about you but I have a regular Teamspeak server where I have friends that I know in real life.  We all play different games and occasionally we will play the same game.  Non of them are Eve players, they may have done a trial at once time before or whatever,  not players that I would even bother trying to convince to play eve because of its 'complexity'

But one of these friends... a pure RPG, typical 'wow' player of many years.... tried and played many mmo's and game, wouldnt consider himself 'hardcore' at all, not a "rocket scientist"  is married, has lots of kids, suddenly told me that he had BOUGHT eve!

I was a bit suprised by this, if im honest, not because I think he doesnt have the ability or determination to play a game like Eve but because he had tried eve before and many times said that he didnt like it.

So, I just answer the odd question from him.. I didnt push him at all, if anything I explained things in a way that implied complexity and that he'd have to research it a bit himself.

To my suprise he tells me that he's been using probes and doing exploration, he's been mining and manufacturing, playing the market... even been into worm holes, low sec... 0.0 and ran missions and even joined a corp!   all in two weeks!

I asked him why it was so different this time around?..... his answer was simple.  Podcasts!....  like me he struugles to sleep at night and needs something to listen too, and started listening to random podcasts he found.  This seems to have helped in a big way!

So as my own feelings of bordom for eve started setting in I decded to follow his example and look for a pod cast to listen to.

I found this one, reccomended by CCP about solo pvp'ing,  I've not really done much pvp I consider myself a noob at it, even with my very old accounts and deep isk pockets so I thought I'd check it out any way.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=42133&find=unread

This guy also has a you tube channel, after listening to the second podcast in the series I watched all the videos.

My excitment and enthusiasm for Eve seems to have shot up a lot! I guess I too didnt really get somethings about Eve, especially pvp and im learning so much, joined a corp with one character and just have the other as a fun solo pvp roaming character... the difference a podcast has made is amazing!

Now, Im not telling you that THIS podcast will help you, but that watching video's and listening to podcasts has helped me, a long time player.. re-discover eve, and it also helped a very young 'unlikley' player get into eve.

So if you WANT to get into eve but cant figure out how... or struggle or whatever, maybe the best option is to log off, and just spend some time watching videos or listening to pod casts.. on the way to work, or excersiing or.. in my case, before I go to bed.  Things are falling into place and suddenly im starting to see things in colour, where before I saw grey.