Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Complete and Total Garbage at 50

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Here's a little statement that BIOWARE made to PCgamer.

• PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away! In addition to that high level PVP content, expect new Warzones and new PvP features on a regular basis.

Forgot about that statement alltogether and now after being a struggling customer since early access, that statement made me laugh.. hard!

Sure they have some of the DAoC / WAR crew onboard at EA, but man has the apple fallen far from the tree...

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    As far as the 1.7 million subs goes, it was confirmed many times that the number was current as of Feb. 1st.

I'm glad to see that lie about Dec 31st is spreading outdo of the original thread though, makes you guys look even more desperate.

As far as proving what the server pops are at heavy, show me some proof.

The number in the top left is for YOUR FACTION ONLY. So go ahea and double those numbers.

And as far as the endgame goes, personal taste. My guild is loving the operations right now, and we enjoy the PvP as well.

Ilum is pretty fun on my server as well. We have one of the heavier pop servers and the balance is actually pretty decent on Ilum. Republic even outnumbers us sometimes.

I have been having some great fun on Ilum lately.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I knew SWTOR was going to be trash when I heard the lead developer say, "the missing element in today's MMOs is the story".

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I loved the game, for about a month. I'm a pretty casual gamer but honestly, I think it just kind of gets tiresome quickly. I'm not quitting the game or anything but I do understand why some people might leave the game until things are a bit better.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by TheeazD

Originally posted by Games888

agree mmo is never about the story, its always about the end game and replayability.  i hope the other mmo dont follow the same footstep.

I couldn't disagree with you more, I never play mmos for the end game.

Agreed. I never understand why people rush to the end when the game should be focused on whats between the beginning and end. The end should be icing on the cake.

There Is Always Hope!

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by keithian

agree mmo is never about the story, its always about the end game and replayability.  i hope the other mmo dont follow the same footstep.

Agreed. I never understand why people rush to the end when the game should be focused on whats between the beginning and end. The end should be icing on the cake.

I have to agree with TheeazD and keithian  here.  For me the "endgame" is the most boring part of a game.  The only reason I participate is to get money to pass down to my lower level toons.  Otherwise the "endgame" is a waste of time since NO developer will be able to keep making content for me to run through as fast as I can complete it, and I actually like to learn the story which slows me down a lot!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

lol, pvp rage in a pve game. i like you guys, you are funny.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I think those numbers that you calculated are only for ONE instance on the server. From what I remember, they divided the servers into various instances if the number on one planet was over 120. So it would be close to impossible to calculate the total number of users by just logging in unless there's a way to jump from one instance to another

also, you have to realize that this game hasn't even opened up to the Asian/Oceanic market yet and in case of most games (Aion, WoW, for example), most of their subs are from that region.

e.g. only 3.5 million WoW subscribers are from US/EU as far as I remember, 5 million are in China and the rest are in Oceanic regions

So if they managed to get 1.7 from EU/USA, they can easily double that as soon as they open to the Asian market sometime this/next year

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by lalartu

I think those numbers that you calculated are only for ONE instance on the server. From what I remember, they divided the servers into various instances if the number on one planet was over 120. So it would be close to impossible to calculate the total number of users by just logging in unless there's a way to jump from one instance to another

also, you have to realize that this game hasn't even opened up to the Asian/Oceanic market yet and in case of most games (Aion, WoW, for example), most of their subs are from that region.

e.g. only 3.5 million WoW subscribers are from US/EU as far as I remember, 5 million are in China and the rest are in Oceanic regions

So if they managed to get 1.7 from EU/USA, they can easily double that as soon as they open to the Asian market sometime this/next year

The 5 million in china are credit farmers for the other 3.5 million . So not really a good quote to base subs off as im hoping we can keep them away from swtor.

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by keithian

Completely disagree... there simply shouldn't be an "end" in an MMORPG. It is supposed to be an ongoing, continuous story of your character.

I think one of the biggest mistakes ever made in MMO's was the over use of the Class/Level system. With a profession/skill based game there are ways to enjoy the leveling experience just by dropping one profession and trying another, or simply finding a niche for your particular skill set. Creating ways to make reaching the absolute top of a profession can also make for extreme challenges.

There is more time spent creating "balance" between classes for the rest of the life of these games than there ever should be. The development of the class system meant equalization, where people expect everyone to be equal, and then necessitate a gear treadmill for people to differentiate them from the next guy/gal. Seems like a ridiculous circle to me.

For some reason a steady progression of numbers to an artificial cap, that then requires you to repeat the same half a dozen instances, dailies, etc... in order to entertain yourself, seems less interesting than an open world with the only limit to the ability to learn new skills, or professions, is time.

Either way.... Themepark or Sandbox...class or profession... there should be no "end" in an MMORPG.... just something else to try.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

The game needs work, Bioware will get it together trust them, what i can sugest is to stop subing if you arent pleased with the game, i like it, and i'm hoping for better days, but if go into an mmo just wating to pvp or pve your doing it wrong, play a bit of both, pvp needs more work that is true since pve seems to have only one problem, bugs. PVP needs rated wz's more wz's more objectives on ilum and tattoine

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Ignoring the hateful rant.  Sounds like you only took a poll of one faction.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by precious328

The game sucks at 50 because it's not a MMORPG.

This is pretty much all there is to say about that...

Bioware completely missfired here, they just don't grasp what makes an MMO player tick.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

Originally posted by xxcomaxx

Because there's nothing else for them to do, and from the looks of it, there never will be.

thats the problem of 90% of all games after 2005. the so called endcontent is based on 3 elements: daily quests, pvp and raids. all of them with one purpose, to get better gear. every day the same, every mmorpg the same .... thats why so many people are asking for new ways, innovation and features which breath longevity into these games. every 3 months a content update with 1 new zone in which you get 1 or 2 new raidzones and some more daily quests to grind isn't the solution for themepark games if they want to bind their playerbase for more than 2-3 months.

swtor is great pve game. you play one character on republic and another one on empire side. you get a great story, a look around on every planet and region. if you play slow and take your time to explore and do all possible quests, see all flashpoint and operations, you will be done with this game in 2-3 months as a casual player (average 3 hrs playtime per day).  after that ... the big emptiness and the search for a new game to explore.

interesting that developers and/or publisher didn't learn anything in the last years. a complex and niche game like eve online generated more business volume with its - since 3 years steady 300k+ - active subscribers than any mmog made after the 'wow-success-concept'. if sony would be clever they would take everquest I, II or vanguard rebuild them on a newer and better performing engine. alone their content and possiblities what a player can do will keep people busy for a long time. if bioware would have been clever they had copy the features of star wars galaxies (pre nge) and implemented their idea of pve-gamestyle, we now have in swtor.

i will stay in swtor to see what the next big patch in march will bring and then move on to the next game. and, like i will do it with rift, i will resub after the next big addon/expansion.

• dolphin666dolphin666 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Whilst I'm certainly not bedazzled by SWTOR, one of the ways I gauge population is how well I do in the auction house GTN. In fairness, I'm making shitloads of credits more than when I started out in December. Whilst the OP claims that population numbers are down, they certainly aren't reflective of the amount of goods I'm selling in GTN.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by Lanfea

i will stay in swtor to see what the next big patch in march will bring and then move on to the next game. and, like i will do it with rift, i will resub after the next big addon/expansion.

Same here. Disappointed but still enjoying playing the game (switched from Smuggler to Operative to see the 'other side'). PvP is okay but I do hope/wish they would implement cross-server queueing. It would allow those of us on less populated servers/early hour players to still get some pre-50 killing in.

*shrug*

Still hopeful but I cancelled my sub so I don't accidentally forget when the time comes to decide. Rather have to log into my account and pop a CC number back in than get billed when I have decided that the part is over. :/

Originally posted by dolphin666

Whilst I'm certainly not bedazzled by SWTOR, one of the ways I gauge population is how well I do in the auction house GTN. In fairness, I'm making shitloads of credits more than when I started out in December. Whilst the OP claims that population numbers are down, they certainly aren't reflective of the amount of goods I'm selling in GTN.

I've noticed this too.  I normally sell things quick too.  An hour or less most times, even at the latest of hours.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by dubyahite

As far as the 1.7 million subs goes, it was confirmed many times that the number was current as of Feb. 1st.

I'm glad to see that lie about Dec 31st is spreading outdo of the original thread though, makes you guys look even more desperate.

As far as proving what the server pops are at heavy, show me some proof.

The number in the top left is for YOUR FACTION ONLY. So go ahea and double those numbers.

And as far as the endgame goes, personal taste. My guild is loving the operations right now, and we enjoy the PvP as well.

Ilum is pretty fun on my server as well. We have one of the heavier pop servers and the balance is actually pretty decent on Ilum. Republic even outnumbers us sometimes.

I have been having some great fun on Ilum lately.

The only one lying is you! As the "legal" documents clearly stated that the 1,7mil sample was taken on Dec 31st.

They clearly said that after the first month they were happy to inform that the majority had subscribed.

You see what they did there? So they went from cold hard numbers to a vague estimate where it counts (the number after january 20th!).

We don't know the current number of subscribers, until the next Quarterly report is released. Which won't be until May 1st.

That is the worst possible indicator really. Especially within the first couple months.

All you've proven here, is that simply more people have reached higher levels and have more credits to spend. Even more importantly... have now the credits to spend to buy stuff and equip their ALT's.

I play on two servers and on both servers I have seen the population drop signifantly in the past few weeks, making it much harder and a total pain in the butt to get people together for Heroic 4 missions. Yet I notice an increase in sales on GTN.

So again, your statement doesn't add up at all.

Originally posted by JeroKane

That is the worst possible indicator really. Especially within the first couple months.

All you've proven here, is that simply more people have reached higher levels and have more credits to spend. Even more importantly... have now the credits to spend to buy stuff and equip their ALT's.

I play on two servers and on both servers I have seen the population drop signifantly in the past few weeks, making it much harder and a total pain in the butt to get people together for Heroic 4 missions. Yet I notice an increase in sales on GTN.

So again, your statement doesn't add up at all.

I think you must be on a bad server or something because I rarely take more than two or three minutes in the wee hours of the morning to get a 4 man together.  Then again maybe your problem is a bad guild?  Since often at least two of us are from the same guild.  No idea, good luck finding something better though.

• dolphin666dolphin666 Member UncommonPosts: 55

No it's not. Stop lying to further your agenda.

No it's not. Stop lying to further your agenda.

What possible agenda could I have? when playing and paying for the game myself?

You hardcore defenders really boggle the mind you know that. /le sigh

It isn't rocket science to see an increase in sales ingame compared to the first launch weeks, when people are still finding their way in a new game, careful with their credits, try to be more self relient... then weeks later, when people reach higher levels, obtained more and more credits and so have more to spend and also start pushing credits to their ALT's, increasing sales on lower level items.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Enjoying the game still, a month plus in. /shrug 

I will play it as long as I enjoy it. Not a moment longer, and not a moment shorter.

But for the love of god, I cannot wait until GW2 comes out so the hype/hate train can roll on down the tracks, and we can have fewer "SWTOR is the best!" and "SWTOR is fail" threads. Seems the only thing talked about on this site anymore...

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Man standards sure have changed.

I remember when City of Heros launched, you could only level to 40.

NC did the same thing when they launched Villains.

Don't quote me on this stat but, the Hamidon raid didn't start until 2 or 3 years in.....

what I am getting at is: When did gamers become so spoiled? The gaming masses cry out against 'hard leveling curves', then in the same breath lament lack of endgame at launch.

Man, we sure do sound like babies....(not sarcasm)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

one thing, whoever claims this game is "broken" should wake up, seriously.

leave it and get on with your lives, stop bothering us with your nonsense, this game ain't broken.

you don't like it, fine, but that is NOT what is meant by "broken"

sorry, to scatter your dreams.

the game is working just fine for me. next.

all those kids seriously start to piss me off, it's not that hard, you like a game, you play it, you don't like it, you play something else, and if there is NO GAME YOU LIKE... maybe you should start to think about it.... do sth else than gaming? play tennis, find a GF, maybe that's more your thing :>

you do NOT have to play a game to be cool, nomatter what your schoolyard sais ^^

if you are a dork, you will still be a dork when playing "the new mmos", right?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"