Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am totally lost in this game

outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

There is just so many things to do and hardly any guides teaching you how to do them.  I think I will have to get a note pad or something.

Any new players feel this way?

The game is pretty damn good considering how many Devs worked on it.  It is complicated.  Just wish there was a better tutorial.

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Hey outfctrl,

Glad you decided to check out Vendetta Online, a notepad is not a bad idea, I actually keep a journal as I play and have fun going back and reading it sometimes.  There are many directions you can take your character, and it may feel a little overwhelming at times.  Just remember not to rush.  Myself and others have been playing for over 8 years, and I still feel like I'm getting the hang of it.  If you like you could check out my video tutorials, although they were recorded a while ago, and cover only the bare basics.

Mining is a great way to spend some time.  There are 120 prospecting missions scattered throughout the galaxy, and if you complete all of them you get a nice badge, and access to an advanced mining beam.  Certain rare ores can only be found in a few asteroids in certain locations, and some pilots (like myself) remember where these are by dead reckoning.  If you make friends with some old miners, they may show you where a few good spots are.  Give me a holler in game, and I'll lead you to a 60% Heliocene asteroid, and teach you how to find your way back.  Otherwise the prospecting missions are a decent way to get to know the lay of minerals.  This is important not just as a source of credits, but because mining is tied together with manufacturing.  If you know where certain rare ores are, many guilds will treat you as their best friend.

Trading also takes a while to master.  The economy is dynamic, in that if you sell a certain good to a certain station repeatedly, demand for that good will drop until the run is no longer profitable.  In other words, you need to branch out.  Learn what trade goods are available in each system, and where they sell.  This is also a part of manufacturing, as all products I can think of use at least some purchaseable trade goods as components.  Knowing where to procure certain components will eventually give you a feel for the various supply chains running throughout the galaxy, if you get into manufacturing.

As far as Combat, you have a lot of options.  It's a good idea to get up to Combat license 4 / Trade license 4 as quickly as possible, as you will have access to the Fast Charge cell.  On certain ships, this will give you the "infiniturbo" advantage.  Just look at the ship stats: if the energy drain is 50 or less, you can boost all day long with an FC cell.  This will allow you to avoid the engagements you want to avoid, until you feel more comfortable going around the galaxy.

Once you have some levels, try joining either the Itani or the Serco military.  You will then be eligible to take Border Patrol and Border Skirmish missions.  These will pitch you in battles of varying sizes, against the opposing nation, for territory control, alongside other players.  Depending on the battle you may find yourself as part of a fighter sweep, assaulting a fixed turret position inside a dense asteroid field, or making bombing runs between two fleets of capital ships.  Your performance in these battles will be recorded, and you will see your name up on the score board on the main website.

You can also do your part in pushing back the three Dynamic Hives in the Hive Skirmish missions, also alongside other players.  The Hive follows a chain-supply expansion, sending out scouts to search for sectors rich in ore, then sending in larger breeds to colonize.  If you win a Hive Skirmish, the Dynamic Hive will be pushed back, weakening the colony and freeing up the sector to be mined for ore.  Certain Hive robots also drop weaponry that may be retrofitted to your fighter, along with components necessary for manufacturing.

Capture-the-Cargo (CtC) is a weekly contest, in which competing convoys are launched hourly from the Bractus and Sedina systems, into national territory.  Some players lay in wait along the convoy's route to ambush the 'voy, redirecting the shipment to the other side, or simply for the thrill of the kill.  Once you pick up the shipment of Purified Xith, you will not be allowed to dock with any station except the target station(s), making you vulnerable to attack from other players.  At the end of the week, whichever side has delivered more Purified Xith will have access to a special blaster.  The Border War also affects this contest, as the losing side's convoy route is blockaded by capital ships and fighters of the opposing nation.  You performance in CtC is also recorded on a scoreboard via the main website.

There are plenty of other lighthearted things to do, such as tube racing, hosting player events such as the nation war, designing your own contest or event, or just sitting back and enjoying the community.  Hope that helps, and hope to see you in game soon.

Phaserlight,

Viper [VPR] Lieutenant

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Phaserlight

Hey outfctrl,

Glad you decided to check out Vendetta Online, a notepad is not a bad idea, I actually keep a journal as I play and have fun going back and reading it sometimes.  There are many directions you can take your character, and it may feel a little overwhelming at times.  Just remember not to rush.  Myself and others have been playing for over 8 years, and I still feel like I'm getting the hang of it.  If you like you could check out my video tutorials, although they were recorded a while ago, and cover only the bare basics.

Mining is a great way to spend some time.  There are 120 prospecting missions scattered throughout the galaxy, and if you complete all of them you get a nice badge, and access to an advanced mining beam.  Certain rare ores can only be found in a few asteroids in certain locations, and some pilots (like myself) remember where these are by dead reckoning.  If you make friends with some old miners, they may show you where a few good spots are.  Give me a holler in game, and I'll lead you to a 60% Heliocene asteroid, and teach you how to find your way back.  Otherwise the prospecting missions are a decent way to get to know the lay of minerals.  This is important not just as a source of credits, but because mining is tied together with manufacturing.  If you know where certain rare ores are, many guilds will treat you as their best friend.

Trading also takes a while to master.  The economy is dynamic, in that if you sell a certain good to a certain station repeatedly, demand for that good will drop until the run is no longer profitable.  In other words, you need to branch out.  Learn what trade goods are available in each system, and where they sell.  This is also a part of manufacturing, as all products I can think of use at least some purchaseable trade goods as components.  Knowing where to procure certain components will eventually give you a feel for the various supply chains running throughout the galaxy, if you get into manufacturing.

As far as Combat, you have a lot of options.  It's a good idea to get up to Combat license 4 / Trade license 4 as quickly as possible, as you will have access to the Fast Charge cell.  On certain ships, this will give you the "infiniturbo" advantage.  Just look at the ship stats: if the energy drain is 50 or less, you can boost all day long with an FC cell.  This will allow you to avoid the engagements you want to avoid, until you feel more comfortable going around the galaxy.

Once you have some levels, try joining either the Itani or the Serco military.  You will then be eligible to take Border Patrol and Border Skirmish missions.  These will pitch you in battles of varying sizes, against the opposing nation, for territory control, alongside other players.  Depending on the battle you may find yourself as part of a fighter sweep, assaulting a fixed turret position inside a dense asteroid field, or making bombing runs between two fleets of capital ships.  Your performance in these battles will be recorded, and you will see your name up on the score board on the main website.

You can also do your part in pushing back the three Dynamic Hives in the Hive Skirmish missions, also alongside other players.  The Hive follows a chain-supply expansion, sending out scouts to search for sectors rich in ore, then sending in larger breeds to colonize.  If you win a Hive Skirmish, the Dynamic Hive will be pushed back, weakening the colony and freeing up the sector to be mined for ore.  Certain Hive robots also drop weaponry that may be retrofitted to your fighter, along with components necessary for manufacturing.

Capture-the-Cargo (CtC) is a weekly contest, in which competing convoys are launched hourly from the Bractus and Sedina systems, into national territory.  Some players lay in wait along the convoy's route to ambush the 'voy, redirecting the shipment to the other side, or simply for the thrill of the kill.  Once you pick up the shipment of Purified Xith, you will not be allowed to dock with any station except the target station(s), making you vulnerable to attack from other players.  At the end of the week, whichever side has delivered more Purified Xith will have access to a special blaster.  The Border War also affects this contest, as the losing side's convoy route is blockaded by capital ships and fighters of the opposing nation.  You performance in CtC is also recorded on a scoreboard via the main website.

There are plenty of other lighthearted things to do, such as tube racing, hosting player events such as the nation war, designing your own contest or event, or just sitting back and enjoying the community.  Hope that helps, and hope to see you in game soon.

Phaserlight,

Viper [VPR] Lieutenant

Hi Phaser, thanks for the in depth post.  Gonna log in tonight and try some quests to get used to the game.  Tried to log in last night, but it said my subscription ran out.  Gonna resub now.  I will give you a shout in the game.  channel 100?

Edit: Just resubbed

Name in game:

Name             

Nation 

Licenses*     

Money

Mentor

Kills

Deaths

Missions completed

Arkius Haalem

UIT