Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I Quit SWTOR: The 30 Minute Saga... (Star Wars PvP & Gameplay)

Comments

• ScoutMastrScoutMastr Member Posts: 140

Being a noob to this kind of MMORPG (only played SWG before), and reaching level 50, I was amazed how underpowered I was compared to everyone else in Warzones (PVE gear a few levels below my character's because I needed to outlevel my content to solo a lot of it)...so, I was thinking about grinding out some PVP gear--the whole time thinking "seriously, this is the kind of MMo that's popular these days???"....However, I'm not a super competitive guy in PVP, so I didn't mind dying until I got my "bags" worth of gear--however, after receiving 3 or 4  bags of  3 comendations, I was like "WTF!!!???". So then I picked up a daily from a terminal that told me to win a warzone...and it gave me one of the item roll boxes when I completed it...not a bag--so obviously I picked up the wrong daily or something (maybe not a  level 50 daily?)--all the while I'm wondering...is this supposed to be fun at all? Is this what people do at "end game"????...REALLY?????

A friend at work that plays WoW convinced me to sub after cancelling last month--not because he's playing the game--he isn't--but he was trying to explain the mechanics of this kind of MMO and I was willing to try out some of his suggestions--and we agreed $15 wasn't going to hurt me one bit lol. Anyway, even he seems baffled at some of the decisions or lack of thought put into many of SWTOR's systems/mechanics...I only hoped I was able to properly explain some of the issues I have with the game...then I saw this video--I have to remember to show him this video.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Souldrainer

He summed up everything he was going to say in the first few mins when he said "Perfection is Warcraft."  It's quite evident that he is a mega WOW fanboy from watching this.  Additionally, there was already a thread about it weeks ago.

His love of WoW dosen't invalidate his very real points.

Maybe if this game had launched in the state it should have he would have loved SWTOR as well.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

He summed up everything he was going to say in the first few mins when he said "Perfection is Warcraft."  It's quite evident that he is a mega WOW fanboy from watching this.  Additionally, there was already a thread about it weeks ago.

Im not wow fan and i m saying also that wow is far perfect mmo for the moment.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Vesavius

His love of WoW dosen't invalidate his very real points.

Maybe if this game had launched in the state it should have he would have loved SWTOR as well.

Actually, Vesavius  is right here.  It does however weaken his point when he can not look past "Perfection is Warcraft", which seems to be the case.  He obviously wanted more than was EVER promised of this game and was disappointed when his own overly high expectations could not be lived up to.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Wow, a 30-min video instead of a /ragequit thread on the forums ? Can't this guy type a coherent post instead ? Even if he made a feature length movie out of it, it still remains his opinion, which is obviously not shared by the 1M+ players that are currently enjoying SWTOR...

No, I didn't watch the video, I have better things to do with half an hour of my life :)

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

when I'm rage quitting Guild Wars 2, I'll make one an hour long so that I can seem even more needy

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Very, very good video which shows, mainly the PvP, deficiencies in the game. The Illum is one big zerg cluster**** and being a healer in Warzones is a nightmare, I tried and gave it up because it is so frustrating filling your role effectively. Both due to being face rolled and not being able to do anything about it, by high DPS classes and the glitches like cast delay, lag, hard to click on a person in a group of players etc.

The game is great for PvE leveling, up to 50, but the PvP is just one of the worse I have ever played.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by TheHavok

He gives valid arguments on what WoW does better then SWTOR.  He played SWTOR wanting to like it and wanting to see it succeed.  Ignoring his valid arguments makes you a SWTOR fanboy.

I never ignored his arguments, but he needs to redo the video without talking about WOW.

http://auditorydepredation.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/1326231905169.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/jason2444/1326918056033.jpg

http://imageshack.us/f/26/hereyago.png/

http://imageshack.us/f/12/swtorif.jpg/

Oh I'm sorry - I shouldn't compare SWTOR to WoW because SWTOR is a unique little snowflake that developed all of its ideas by itself.

How old is wow now?

How old is swtor?

eqnext.wikia.com

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

Originally posted by lalartu

when I'm rage quitting Guild Wars 2, I'll make one an hour long so that I can seem even more needy

This made me smile... 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Illum is really bad, I know from first hand experience now - went there for the first time yesterday (just hit 50 Saturday) and was completely unimpressed.

Combine that with the ridiculous grind for Warzones because of the convoluted commendation system...

I'm pretty much going to be ignoring PvP for a while.

I can understand having PvP you ignore (except random world PvP encounters, which are still fun!) probably made a lot of people quit.

I'm sticking to PvE, have tons of stuff to finish and tons of stuff to explore and find and a couple of alts I'm still really enjoying.

• MattNeMattNe Member Posts: 90

Some of the big ones:

-Knockback galore.  Annoying in multiple level warzones.

-Abilities generally not "fun".  No cool abilities like blink, bubble, frost nova, sheep, totems, shadowstep, disengage, mind control, spirit link, bladestorm, army of the dead, ect.  There is a charge, a little sprint, and a pull ability, but thats it.

-Healing is just pressing same buttons over and over again.  No skill involved.  Defensive cooldown manangement amounts to little to nothing.

-Cast bar disappears randomly (linked to ability delay)

-Ability delay lowers the pace of combat.  Hinders pvp because global cooldown, cast animation, and cast bar are not in sync.  Contrary to what people think, Ability delay effects EVERYBODY.

-Camera snapping (smart camera permanently on).

-Nameplates not clickable.

-Raid frames are not always accurate.  (That raid frame showed a player at 100% but he was really at 25% and vice versa).

- Ilium being a massive zerg fest.  Dropping FPS to less then 10. (Experienced this in warzones as well).

- Overall low skill cap to separate good players from bad players.  Proper LOS'ing, fake casting, faking interrupts, cooldown management, ect all are thrown out the window.

- Login screen times extremely long.

Play something else then and stop ranting about it.

Or...get a better machine then make judgement call.

In Warzones I get my standart 60-100 FPS, P4 955 BE oc'd to 3.5/ GTX 275, not at all top end. No I don't have extreme load screens. I hate to say it but its 2012 the game is almost 20gigs out of the box pre-patch, minimum specs arent going to produce quality results.

If you want all your WoW 'fun' abilitits...why did you log out of Azeroth?

Also I LOL at your 'nameplates arent clickable"..seriously? You make a post about PvP, then complain there arent training wheels.

Just another hate post...

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by BadSpock

Illum is really bad, I know from first hand experience now - went there for the first time yesterday (just hit 50 Saturday) and was completely unimpressed.

Combine that with the ridiculous grind for Warzones because of the convoluted commendation system...

I'm pretty much going to be ignoring PvP for a while.

I can understand having PvP you ignore (except random world PvP encounters, which are still fun!) probably made a lot of people quit.

I'm sticking to PvE, have tons of stuff to finish and tons of stuff to explore and find and a couple of alts I'm still really enjoying.

I haven't been impressed with PvP either. I'm still low level, but I really dislike how they lump players of all levels into the same PvP matches. Even if they even player levels, high level players still have the advantage of equipment and more skills, which basically makes PvP pointless until Lv 50.

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Within a minute of watching your video I understand where your disappointment comes from.  Its NOT World Of Warcraft.  You wouldn't give this game a chance, and you didn't, only because your love for WOW.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by dollada06

Within a minute of watching your video I understand where your disappointment comes from.  Its NOT World Of Warcraft.  You wouldn't give this game a chance, and you didn't, only because your love for WOW.

Shields up.  Must defend.

Seriously, go play your totally awesome game.  If it were so good you'd be in game RIGHT NOW playing.  Instead, you're on the forums.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ikeda

If it were so good you'd be in game RIGHT NOW playing.  Instead, you're on the forums.

Yes because if you like a game you will never ever do anything else ever.... image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

LOL just wanna say watched this entire video twice.

I  just have to say omg this guy rambles on worse than I do. Make your point and move to the next point. A little editing and he could have summed up his entire reasoning in a 5 minute video.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Yamota

Very, very good video which shows, mainly the PvP, deficiencies in the game. The Illum is one big zerg cluster**** and being a healer in Warzones is a nightmare, I tried and gave it up because it is so frustrating filling your role effectively. Both due to being face rolled and not being able to do anything about it, by high DPS classes and the glitches like cast delay, lag, hard to click on a person in a group of players etc.

The game is great for PvE leveling, up to 50, but the PvP is just one of the worse I have ever played.

Well actually you can do something about it tho.... let a tank cover you.

It does wonder for healers if they get less dmg and 50% of the dmg they get will be absorbed by the tank if the tank knows his job and vokes the players attacking the healer they will deal even less dmg and the healer can heal away without too much trouble.

If you cant get a tank to cover you well yeah thats bad for a healer but seriously its awesome that tanks finally have a use in pvp (a real one) if ppls now dont know how to use it well thats hardly the games fault now is it?

It seems that a lot of the problems ppls have are just there own personal fault but it sure is easyer to blame the game for it....

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Originally posted by Doomedfox

It does wonder for healers if they get less dmg and 50% of the dmg they get will be absorbed by the tank if the tank knows his job and vokes the players attacking the healer they will deal even less dmg and the healer can heal away without too much trouble.

If you cant get a tank to cover you well yeah thats bad for a healer but seriously its awesome that tanks finally have a use in pvp (a real one) if ppls now dont know how to use it well thats hardly the games fault now is it?

It seems that a lot of the problems ppls have are just there own personal fault but it sure is easyer to blame the game for it....

As a tank in PvP, I fully endorse this post! Guard your healers, provoke the people on your healer friend, and both of you will enjoy a great time in PvP. Learn it, DO IT!!

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

OP here.  Thanks for the feedback.  Just want to state again I did not make this video I just agree with all the points the author made.  As a PvP player, I was sorely disappointed in the PvP in SWTOR and I have noticed that many of the skilled PvPers from other games have given SWTOR a big thumbs down.

I have taken your guy's advice and I have canceled my SWTOR sub.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Finally tanks are useful? WAR had guards using taunts and guarding the same way as in SW:TOR and how many years old is that game? So no, SW:TOR did not "finally make tanks useful". And the thing is that in WAR healers had an array of defensive abilities such as detaunt (50% dmg reduction) and their heals were far better than in this game so they had a decent chance of surviving without a tank baby sitting them.

So yes I do blame the game for the weak healers and a tanks guard ability does not make up for it. Also WAR had defensive and offensive targets so you could actually switch from offense to defense quickly. Here you are pigeon holed into healing all the time and even that wont help much due to being one or two shotted by operatives which is partly due to lack of proper level brackets.

So seriously, anyone saying that PvP in this game is good need to wake up and stop drinking the kool-aid.

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

wanting a game at launch to have 7+ years of content and end game content is asking a bit much considering they blew most of their budget on voice acting. remember that before BC, Wrath and Cata, wow only had vanilla end game content.

Now i'm not arguing that ToR could not reasonably have all the same current ideas as wow and implement them at least as effectively, that is entirely how things should have been. However, having only a couple things to do at end game is partly the fault of BW having to make a pre-end game to get you there. Just imagine how much you could have to do if the game started off at end game and spent all of their budget allocated to content on stuff to do at max level (in this example max level being defined as your current level as soon as you create your toon)!  And i also fully realize no one does vanilla end game content, bc end game content, wrath end game content anymore because being lvl 85 in max raid gear trivializes it. i suppose if they were to throw in some kind of reworked hard modes that tailored to lvl 85 max raid gear for all the old dungeons then they'd have a humongous end game content to boast about.

(*edit* i completely forgot to mention that wow did not start off with ALLLLLLLLLLL the battlegrounds it has presently including arena. again expansions came with new BG's and arena mode and other cool pvp goodies. the "goodies" part ToR could have and should have copied correctly (the ui custimizing, the combat lag and ability delay issues and all that bs) but simply going on about the low number of warzones and the like being few is entirely the fault of BW not devoting 100% of their content budget to making arenas and warzones and battle grounds and open worlds to open world pvp on including a free copy of star wars battlefront 2 and a free copy of rogue squadron only opened up to full cross faction pvp!!! how fun would that be.....)

Lots of end game content, the point of content you must focus on to retain players, takes time and expansions beyond the initial release, unless you are GW and just let people start off at max level for pvp and junk.

I really don't see what BW could have done to make it so that they had hundreds of hours of pve leveling content and THEN 10's of THOUSANDS of YEARS worth of end game content too. at least not without holding off releasing the game for another 7 years or so....

Anyone know what they could have done? It seems to me from the video they tried really hard to copy pasta wow but messed up the recipe and their soufflé failed to rise :(

that would totally be better than all this bickering and arguing over who killed who. (wow is better than tor! oh yeah? well tor is better than wow!! oh yeah?!?!)

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Toxia

The video maker made some points, and did so clearly. It was his opinion, which was stated many times. I don't find any fault in his opinion.

Yeah he compared it against wow, but guess what, that's what ea/bioware have been doing since they thought about making this game. Why can't the players use the same comparison?

I'd say he's 30% spot on, and 70% rhetoric that reverts back to his thinking that "perfection is Warcraft."  A Jedi consular is not an EZ-mode WOW paladin, and was never meant to be.  It was never worth 30 minutes of time to watch him whine about his consular not being his WOW paladin.

Thats pretty much what I take away from posts like this, Im playing SWTOR now but they dont have a WoW mage a WoW warrior a WoW Paladin etc etc.  Gee imagine that.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I wouldnt play SWTOR for PVP either. Or in any gearbased themepark MMO. There is not much to these games if you dont like PVE.  I can only stand PVP with tabbased combat if it has some twitchbased elements and no gear treadmill.

But then, I play SWTOR for the story. Expensive story,  I also would rather have had KOTOR 3 instead.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Finally tanks are useful? WAR had guards using taunts and guarding the same way as in SW:TOR and how many years old is that game? So no, SW:TOR did not "finally make tanks useful". And the thing is that in WAR healers had an array of defensive abilities such as detaunt (50% dmg reduction) and their heals were far better than in this game so they had a decent chance of surviving without a tank baby sitting them.

So yes I do blame the game for the weak healers and a tanks guard ability does not make up for it. Also WAR had defensive and offensive targets so you could actually switch from offense to defense quickly. Here you are pigeon holed into healing all the time and even that wont help much due to being one or two shotted by operatives which is partly due to lack of proper level brackets.

So seriously, anyone saying that PvP in this game is good need to wake up and stop drinking the kool-aid.

LOL in WAR healers were OP killing an WP or a DOK was a pain and this 2 classes took fortresses solo np so i have to assume you dont like pvp in SWOTOR because your healer classes are not totally OP and you actually need skill and a good team to play?

Well i suppose SWOTOR pvp really isnt for you than....

I just wonder where yo get the idea about one or 2 shotted by operatives as lvl 10 in pvp you will have around 12k hp if the ops got a really lucky crit on me it was around 3k on my trooper healer how is that a 1 or 2 hit kill?

The pvp isnt perfect and sure as hell needs work but your comments are just full of crap and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, if my Trooper would have been guarded now i would have taken something around 1.2-1.5k dmg which i can heal out with ease so again the system works its you that cant handle it

Even if Ops would kill healers that fast well hell this kind of sneak burst dmg roles always were ment to be  the mage killers so yeah....

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/