Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I played SWTOR...

I've been ranting on about this game ever since my extensive beta experience. In general, what one experiences in beta is what they experience on the live servers. However, I broke down and decided to give it another try (because of guildmate pressure).

So I installed the game and started playing. Again, the story was pretty entertaining at first. However, after a few days, I couldn't deal with all the useless "run here, run there, come back, run here, deliver this, come back" bullcrap. Most of my playtime seemed to be just running along these boring paths.

My guildies agreed that the questing becomes boring as heck. So they had pretty much leveled up via PvP. Okay. "I'll try that."

So we queue our group for PvP. It's a beatdown. We pillaged just about every Void Star, Huttball, and Alderaan match. However, after about the 20th time, I couldn't take it anymore. Dailes / PvP / Rinse & Repeat - ugh.

I left the group and headed over to the nearest Auction House. It was flooded with players - all wearing the same Battlemaster-whatever gear. They all looked the same. They all had the same few speeders. They all had the same little pets. They all had the same titles.

My goodness. This game is honestly the worst MMO I've ever played. It's not a clone of WoW, though. Even a linear game like WoW has MUCH MORE depth than SWTOR. This game is terrible and should not be considered a MMORPG.

Even my guildies agreed that they would be long gone had it not been mildly entertaining playing with friends.

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

You, as many of us, should have followed your instinct and not the curiosity

Anyway, what you see is what happens when a game has fast leveling and thin content, not to mention the PvP fiasco resulting in everyone and their mother getting battlemaster

About leveling, I found it boring, some find it awesome, I guess its taste

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

You, as many of us, should have followed your instinct and not the curiosity 

True that...stupid hope

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

My gut never fails me and it held true once again. I did not give in to the possibility.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I went to the movies the other day and someone half an aisle over smelled like urine. A few seats back someone had a huge bucket of popcorn, but didnt know it was possible to chew with their mouth closed.

My friend left the movie theater talking about these annoying things, while I was happy to have seen a good movie.

Focus on the bad and you'll miss the good.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Quests were not boring at all, I think your just an ADD kid who likes FPS instant gratifcation and your now bored.

The entire population does not even have close to all the Battle Master gear as you have said either. And I am a server that has  close to 500 people on during peak hours in fleet

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Terronte

I went to the movies the other day and someone half an aisle over smelled like urine. A few seats back someone had a huge bucket of popcorn, but didnt know it was possible to chew with their mouth closed.

My friend left the movie theater talking about these annoying things, while I was happy to have seen a good movie.

What a load of shit.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

it's easy to miss the good in swtor, there's so little of it.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

these threads... these threads... look i'm not a fan of swtor either but please people get over the hate threads.. its getting very tiring... logging into this site and just seeing i hate tor threads... just move on already... seriously

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

i like the story part of  SWTOR and compared to other current MMOs the leveling is rather slow imho.

but i never expected SWTOR to be a good MMO, that was pretty clear after the first articles from Bioware a few years ago.

so i treated SWTOR as a offline RPG. i had a lot of fun with my agent and my trooper and got 2 good games for 59+15=74€. thats just 37€ per game; great price! of course now i am nearly done and will quit SWTOR. every non-MMO has an end.

and no, i dont hate SWTOR. i love it! like i loved Skyrim, Dragon Age, Gothic2  and Risen.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• doelmodoelmo Member Posts: 11

Dear doelmo,

You have been issued a warning by one of our moderators.

Warning Category: NDA Violation

Reason: MMORPG.com does not permit users to post information on games still under an NDA. For more information about your specific game's NDA, please visit their official website.

This warning was generated from the following post on our discussion forum:

Thread: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Drop the NDA!

Below is the content of the post:

------------------------------------------------

A  " GAME " that I " MIGHT " have played in a beta weekend.

More story than action in quest,r click target-go to cover,L- click special-over and over.

That kind of game isnt for me,maybe for some one else.

Note: If the thread or post has been deleted you will not be able to view it. The above link might not work.

Thank you,

The Staff

MMORPG.COM

If you believe you recieved this in error or would like more information please respond to this message or send an email with the details to ---

---------------------------------------------------------

This was original topic and post. 11/17/2011

Originally posted by doelmo

Dear doelmo,

Reason: MMORPG.com does not permit users to post information on games still under an NDA. For more information about your specific game's NDA, please visit their official website.

More story than action in quest,r click target-go to cover,L- click special-over and over.

Note: If the thread or post has been deleted you will not be able to view it. The above link might not work.

Thank you,

The Staff

MMORPG.COM

If you believe you recieved this in error or would like more information please respond to this message or send an email with the details to ---

yehhhh... I've had a couple of those to but whats ya point?

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

i like the story part of  SWTOR and compared to other current MMOs the leveling is rather slow imho.

but i never expected SWTOR to be a good MMO, that was pretty clear after the first articles from Bioware a few years ago.

so i treated SWTOR as a offline RPG. i had a lot of fun with my agent and my trooper and got 2 good games for 59+15=74€. thats just 37€ per game; great price! of course now i am nearly done and will quit SWTOR. every non-MMO has an end.

and no, i dont hate SWTOR. i love it! like i loved Skyrim, Dragon Age, Gothic2  and Risen.

i wouldn't be breaking down the story of the game into price segments man.. cause its a different narrative yeh? but the gameplay is exactly the same, u made a main then a alt.. pretty much... i would feel i got ripped off if i was like you seeing the game like that

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by precious328

I've been ranting on about this game ever since my extensive beta experience. In general, what one experiences in beta is what they experience on the live servers. However, I broke down and decided to give it another try (because of guildmate pressure).

So I installed the game and started playing. Again, the story was pretty entertaining at first. However, after a few days, I couldn't deal with all the useless "run here, run there, come back, run here, deliver this, come back" bullcrap. Most of my playtime seemed to be just running along these boring paths.

My guildies agreed that the questing becomes boring as heck. So they had pretty much leveled up via PvP. Okay. "I'll try that."

So we queue our group for PvP. It's a beatdown. We pillaged just about every Void Star, Huttball, and Alderaan match. However, after about the 20th time, I couldn't take it anymore. Dailes / PvP / Rinse & Repeat - ugh.

I left the group and headed over to the nearest Auction House. It was flooded with players - all wearing the same Battlemaster-whatever gear. They all looked the same. They all had the same few speeders. They all had the same little pets. They all had the same titles.

My goodness. This game is honestly the worst MMO I've ever played. It's not a clone of WoW, though. Even a linear game like WoW has MUCH MORE depth than SWTOR. This game is terrible and should not be considered a MMORPG.

Even my guildies agreed that they would be long gone had it not been mildly entertaining playing with friends.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

People are saying to give BW time but I have a problem with the overall design and concept of the game: just another daily hamster grind of memorized dance steps with pointless PVP for gear. Crafting concept is interesting but has no depth and end product has no value because raid/drop stuff is better.

I'm back at EQII because of the excellent housing system and all of the other side things you can do besides raid/pvp. I want more choices in an MMO and I refuse to give in to these companies force feeding us homogenized crap.

I miss SWG - best game ever even after it was NGE'd.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• doelmodoelmo Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Dekarx12

Originally posted by doelmo

Dear doelmo,

Thank you,

The Staff

MMORPG.COM

yehhhh... I've had a couple of those to but whats ya point?

My point is, original thread wasnt negitive, it was deleted by mod.So i reposted original post...thats all.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Except you just turned around what the OP said.  Using your analogy, it was the movie that sucked for the OP and the theatre and people in it that were good.  Still doesn't make the movie good and it just adds to the feeling of time/money wasted when it could have been spent with same people elsewhere or in a better movie.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by echolynfan

People are saying to give BW time but I have a problem with the overall design and concept of the game: just another daily hamster grind of memorized dance steps with pointless PVP for gear. Crafting concept is interesting but has no depth and end product has no value because raid/drop stuff is better.

I'm back at EQII because of the excellent housing system and all of the other side things you can do besides raid/pvp. I want more choices in an MMO and I refuse to give in to these companies force feeding us homogenized crap.

once the supporter and now moved on.. seems to be happening a lot around here....

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by sanosukex

once the supporter and now moved on.. seems to be happening a lot around here....

Yep..I was WAY wrong with my initial opinion of SWTOR. Perhaps it just just my love of Star Wars that gave me blinders :)

Once you hit 50 (which doesn't take long...even for casual players) you realize that BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game. Raiding and dungeons should be "part" of an MMO - not THE game. PVP..well....I won't even go there and I'm still laughing at Starfox.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by AdamTM

What a load of shit.

Actually, I think Terronte is right.  Too often do people focus on the negatives, and not just sit back and enjoy the game.  Granted ToR is a lot like other MMOs, but it also has it's own charm.  Personally, I am tired of these "copies" but, when you constantly bash things and focus on the negative, you aren't going to have fun regardless of what is going on.

To find fault in anything constantly will ruin whatever you are faulting.  I thought the movie example was great.

It is like when I went on a study abroad to Ireland for 7 days, sure it cost 5,000 dollars, sure we sat on a bus a lot and our faculty leader was a (w)itch, but I did see a lot of cool things and experience some fun adventures.  If I focus on the expense, the low amount of time I was there, and the other bad events, then I will remember it as a bad experience, when in fact overall it was a pretty fun experience.

It is how you view it.  If you are bored with dailies and what not how about... You Take a Break?  Yes, I know it might be difficult, but you don't have to swear it off, hell you don't even have to quit playing video games, Just Play Something Else.

NO, do not go play WoW, do not go play another MMO because in my opinion your attitude will not change.  Play a FPS game, a strategy game, a puzzle game, Play Something Other Than A MMORPG.

It helps, it really does.  Also breathe, count back from 10, and stay calm, because everything will be ok!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Yep..I was WAY wrong with my initial opinion of SWTOR. Perhaps it just just my love of Star Wars that gave me blinders :)

Once you hit 50 (which doesn't take long...even for casual players) you realize that BW and EA spent everything on VO and there is no game. Raiding and dungeons should be "part" of an MMO - not THE game. PVP..well....I won't even go there and I'm still laughing at Starfox.

yea the star wars fanboy in me got me playing for little over a month then just couldn't do it anymore.. gameplay has to be > than all else in a long term sub game or whats the point? story content can get blown through fast and once thats over the months and months to follow is all about what's left..

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Let's not mention the fun of playing with friends as an original merit of TOR(or any game).

Playing with friends makes Pac-Man be as fun as a Ultima Online: The Next-gen.

No game can be judged based on playing with friends, it's not impartial.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Your kidding right?  You played a themepark MMO and experienced a..................theme park MMO?   Nah its not possible. 

Lets see you did Quests that had you going places, PvP that when played in an organxized way you won, people that were wearing similar PvP gear?

I just dont understand it they said this game was going to be Ultima Online 2.

Originally posted by snapfusion

Your kidding right?  You played a themepark MMO and experienced a..................theme park MMO?   Nah its not possible. 

Lets see you did Quests that had you going places, PvP that when played in an organxized way you won, people that were wearing similar PvP gear?

I just dont understand it they said this game was going to be Ultima Online 2.

is it wrong people expected little more of a themepark from such a big title with such big hype? when a game like Rift from a small company like trion can put out a much better "MMO" game than a juggernaunt combo like ea/bioware something is wrong. People keep claiming themepark as a set defined genre that cannot be deviated from. This is such crap and only shows how shallow developers have become and lack of creativity they inspire into their games. Either way I don't see how it's so hard to see why many people were so dissapointed over the hype of this game what amazes me is others that can't see this...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

is it wrong people expected little more of a themepark from such a big title with such big hype? when a game like Rift from a small company like trion can put out a much better "MMO" game than a juggernaunt combo like ea/bioware something is wrong. 

Except that falls under personal preference so it's hard to argue. Personally Rift is atrocious. There, I said it. I loved the actual rifts and loved that, at least in beta, they could take over an area and keep an area.

Other than that, especially with the changes done to the rifts at launch, I would never recommend Rift to anyone.

I WOULD recommend SWToR but only to people who enjoy bioware games and who might want to see if the game was right for them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

is it wrong people expected little more of a themepark from such a big title with such big hype? when a game like Rift from a small company like trion can put out a much better "MMO" game than a juggernaunt combo like ea/bioware something is wrong. 

Except that falls under personal preference so it's hard to argue. Personally Rift is atrocious. There, I said it. I loved the actual rifts and loved that, at least in beta, they could take over an area and keep an area.

Other than that, especially with the changes done to the rifts at launch, I would never recommend Rift to anyone.

I WOULD recommend SWToR but only to people who enjoy bioware games and who might want to see if the game was right for them.

it is all subjective.. but for people who come here and claim they cannot fathom why people hate this game is just baiting to me. i would only recommend SWTOR to peopel who never played a single MMO in their life before.. And it's funny because the only people I know personally who still play it's there first ever MMO. To me rift as a MMO is a better online experience. For me options are what keeps players around on months end not lack there of. And for some reason people think only sanbox=options which is such a shallow way of thinking. For me playing the same class with the same playstyle with the same exact skills month after months is insane but I suppose others like it  All in all everything is subjective to one's own thoughts and opinions and the only reason I make such a big fuss about some things here is for me as a hard core fan of both bioware and star wars I feel I was let down by a competely uninspired use of such a big IP.  

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

well since I bought mine a bit cheaper on ebay, I don't feel as bad about it being such a simple game in terms of gameplay

battles are a bit bland, but the world look good and the storyline is quite engaging in my opinion.

I actually wasn't going to buy it, but because there was so much trolling on metacritic and even here, decided to form my own opinion and buy it. overall, it's a good title, but not something i would be playing for months on end. I'll probably play through a few times, try everything it has to offer and forget about it for a year or two.

i can definitely see how they will be losing subscriptions soon though as there isn't that much to do once you get to 50 and it's a drag to try to finish same quests again. 

first play through -> pretty unique and interesting. 

but yeah, out of all my main complaints about it(including crappy performance and annoying UI), the main thing that really bugs me is strange combat. it doesn't feel as simple as WoW or as engaging as Allods Online or even as active as Tera. it's just....meh. I wish it was more dynamic and interactive

although that one battle with that stupid padawan in Black Talon was helluva fun. but that was the only one so far

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs