Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the MKO books any good?

ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

I know MKO is based off the books written by Raymond Feist but I've never read them. Are the Midkemia Online books any good?

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I have not read them all, but found them to be good page turners. They are not masterpeices, in my view, but good, fun high fantasy books. 

That said, this is the first I am hearing of this game. Interesting!

edit: Ahh, nm. Not a fan of browser games. 

• DarkShrimpDarkShrimp Member Posts: 1

Now now, shooting this game down like that might be a bit harsh. It's improved a lot, and I hope it continues to do so. I know at least I'm having fun in a very intruiging environment, given by the Midkemian background from the books.

Either way, I'd invite you all to come and check things out at Midkemia.

• RhuricRhuric Member Posts: 2

The 'universe' that MKO is based off of is pretty rich, while the books aren't certainly the greatest masterpieces (in my opinion) in the world they are an enjoyable read. I'd suggest giving the game a try, it is a textbased RPG. Whether MUDs are your thing or not, I think it's worth a shot.

MKO isn't solely 'browser' based, there are also plenty of free clients that allow you to customize your experience.

• RhuricRhuric Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Torvaldr

They aren't known as the Midkemia Online books.  Here is a link to his book list: Crydee.com Raymond Feist Book List.

I guess whether they are good is subjective, but I love them.  Feist is one of my favorite all time authors.  His works deserve better than what MKO delivers, but I guess that would be for another discussion.

The problem with any adaptions to books is that there will always be people who think they fall below par. I think MKO does a pretty good job, things have diverged from the books but that is also a given. You cannot maintain a game world like MKO if you stick completely to the book, you have to make decisions that will boost your business and the interest of others.

MKO has improved a lot since it's initial release, I've been a member since the original launch, and while it has had it's ups and downs, it delivers an excellent gameplay experience for me.

• Lord_RahlLord_Rahl Member Posts: 5
    Unlike most of the posters so far I really enjoyed the "Riftwar" and "Serpentwar" sagas ...mind you, I was a teenager when I first read them. A detailed set of worlds with a rich background and the potential to offer some excellent MMO style play. However, I (so far) am not really a fan of Browser-based MMOs although I am willing to give anything a go (at least once). Here's to hoping we see something with potential from this IP.

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

I just got done reading all 31 books in the series.  It took me around 4-6 months to get through all of them.  They are pretty short and easy to read.  They are not masterpieces but I thought they were fun and worth reading.  If your expecting something as detailed and well written as  the Wheel of Time Series you may end up disappointed.  But given the length of the storyline it was a pretty epic series. That is what attracted me to the books.  I am in the process of trying to talk myself into rereading them to see what I missed.

That being said I literally know nothing about MO other than I think the books would provide a great background for making a MMO.  But regardless I would encourage anyone to read the books.