Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are MMOs brain-dead easy now?

124»

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Because they've gone mainstream and cost a lot of money to make, so they're made to appeal to the most common denominator, and take less risk by repeating the most successful formula on the market in hopes to gain some of the pie.

News trends start when someone dares to do something different, which then becomes a successful hit with gamers,but nobody with any real developer talent backing them up wants to go first! Yet they wast money doing rehashes of other successful MMO's formula's many players already feel jaded with, and just adding their own small twist which barely advances the genre. GW2 & Planetside 2 only seem the 2 worth playing this year.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Because nobody plays sandboxes
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Uccisore

It's Old Republic that's prompting this thread, but I'm not singling it out- they all seem to be this way.  There is literally zero challenge in the MMOS I've played lately.  I'm only level 10 in The Old Republic, but I've only died like one time- and when I DID die, I just got back up and continued fighting the monster that killed me with no apparent downside.  The death penalty in the game seems to be 'lay on the ground for 3 seconds, then get back up with full life and several seconds of invincibility'.   I've noticed that all my abilities are fluff, and in fact, I can win all the same-level fights just by using the one low-cooldown 'auto attack' type ability over and over.

I understand that games are for 'casual' players now, whatever that means...but this just isn't any fun. When I don't have to try, the thrill goes away almost immediately. Without a risk of getting beaten, or some strategy involved, the game just feels like a really inconvenient way to watch a movie. I already learned how to press 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 1 like half-a-dozen MMOs ago. "But now you're doing it with a lightsaber" isn't enough.

Age of Conan was basically the same- the only time you ever died was if you chose to push yourself into areas way outside your level. Fighting things 5 levels higher than you, you have to pay attention and try real hard. But in areas that it says you're supposed to be in, the game is so easy you're just monotonously hitting the same combinations over and over to kill the same monsters without even the possibiilty that you might lose, barring a cat jumping on your keyboard or something.

So are there any games that are an exception to this rule? I seem to recall when I was soloing in City of Heroes, I had to pay attention a little bit, but I could be wrong.

And, BTW, does The Old Republic actually require me to look at the screen or use these abilities I'm unlocking at some point, or is it going to be a yawnfest from start to finish? I realize I'm not high enough level to judge the game, but I'm just sort of assuming based on what I've seen so far that it will be the same as other games.

This is why i missed the original Everquest, death meant something had to retrieve all ur armor from your corpse loss of some xp ( can be rezzed to regain a% of xp depending on lvl  of the rezz spell) . The mob you could see there lvl you had to con them with the c key and it would give u a message with a colour the coulour shows roughtly there lvl we same lvl yellow couple lvl above blue couple lvl below cyan qte a bit lower and green very low, it also gave you a message which varied depening on the how strongvthe mob were there was like 4 variatiojs of this message. so not all mobs the same lvl had the same difficulty, it also told u how agressive the mob is to you. You could also kill any npc and u loose/gain rep depending on what u kill.

sry for any spelling mistakes was typing this on a tablet.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Any MMORPG you can get to max level without grouping at all = easy.This is all MMO's released now.All MMO'S are made for casuals with end game grouping/raids that pass for hardmode.All have quick leveling,arrows pointing where to go (usually the only way to go anyway) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Myria

Gee, why did things seem harder to me back when I was an inexperienced kid? Why do they seem easier now that I have had a decade's worth of experience? Must be because I'm a genius and everyone else sucks, amirite?

What a load.

Unless by "hard" you mean "tedious", games never have been particularly hard.

Then again, inevitably these sorts of threads are started by people who aren't top ranked PvPers and haven't cleared even basic raid cotent, let alone the stuff that only a fraction of a percentage of the playerbase can manage. So, I say again...

What a load.

I have 3 decades of experience gaming. I assume your first MMO was WoW by the content of your post.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Gee, why did things seem harder to me back when I was an inexperienced kid? Why do they seem easier now that I have had a decade's worth of experience? Must be because I'm a genius and everyone else sucks, amirite?

What a load.

Then again, inevitably these sorts of threads are started by people who aren't top ranked PvPers and haven't cleared even basic raid cotent, let alone the stuff that only a fraction of a percentage of the playerbase can manage. So, I say again...

What a load.

I have 3 decades of experience gaming. I assume your first MMO was WoW by the content of your post.

So you started playing MMO's at age 3?

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

What a load.

What a load.

Age 2 I got my Atari 2600. I said I had 3 decades of Gaming experience not MMO's

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Farmville.

What a load.

What a load.

Age 2 I got my Atari 2600. I said I had 3 decades of Gaming experience not MMO's

Cool, I'm 41 guess I have 4 decades of gaming, however I'd say that between age 2 and say 13 really means little other than claming another decade for the sake of sounding more credible on a forum.

Hungry, Hungry Hippos does not count.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Garvon3

Because WoW targetted the casual audience and won big. Then Nintendo targetted the casual audience and won big. So publishers figured, hm, let's just aim everything at non gamers, lets copy WoW!

MMOs have been getting smaller in scale, easier and simpler in content, and more solo focused as each year passes. It's funny, the games become less like MMOs, and scaller and with less features, the more money and devs that get pumped into them. Games released by 30 man teams for peanuts back in 2001 would blow the minds of people playing MMOs now. "How did they manage all that! Must have like, a country backing them!" No, they had passion and a good mind for game design, and no 3000lb publishing gorilla screaming MORE LIKE WOW  MROE LEIK WOW!1!"

Hmmm...mind still firmly entrenched in head...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by nyxium

Farmville.

Another good point... Games like farmville have attracted "non Gamers" to the MMO market. Non gamers don't know good from bad. they are very much like mentally handicapped people. it's not their fault they just don't know any better

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Originally posted by nyxium

Farmville.

Another good point... Games like farmville have attracted "non Gamers" to the MMO market. Non gamers don't know good form bad. they are very much like mentally handicapped people. it's not their fault they just don't know any better

I do enjoy Farmville and do play, but it's hard not to miss that appraisal. And the more mainstream that are attracted the more money company's will make and the circle is complete.

What a load.

What a load.

Cool, I'm 41 guess I have 4 decades of gaming, however I'd say that between age 2 and say 13 really means little other than claming another decade for the sake of sounding more credible on a forum.

Between ages 2 and 13 I had had 3 gaming consoles and either got the highscore that no adult in my household could break, or had beaten several games on the newer systems. I bet there are plenty of 10 year olds out there that could stomp you or I at Call of Duty. I don't think age really has anything to do with it.

I am an oldkool Arcade Rat. Used to make my weekends by kickin ass at Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Age is just a number, but experience is unmeasurable.

What a load.

What a load.

Between ages 2 and 13 I had had 3 gaming consoles and either got the highscore that no adult in my household could break, or had beaten several games on the newer systems. I bet there are plenty of 10 year olds out there that could stomp you or I at Call of Duty. I don't think age really has anything to do with it.

Cool,  yet your using your age (gaming experience) that's why I commented.

BTW my teenage kids stomp me in CoD, yet I stomp them out in the backyard sports.  image

What a load.

What a load.

Cool,  yet your using your age (gaming experience) that's why I commented.

BTW my teenage kids stomp me in CoD, yet I stomp them out in the backyard sports.  image

Sorry if I was 40 and gotten my first game system at 10 it would be the same though. Not really the age that matters, but the experience.