Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR it made me wonder why mmorpgs are still around?

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

I enjoyed SWTORS single player aspect a lot more than its mmorpg aspect, and when playing dungeons and PVP "The group aspect" of the game it just felt dumbed down and not that interesting at all, combat was delayed and frustrating, laggy to all hell, buggy. It made me wonder do people enjoy this? If people wanted their Co-Op fill couldnt they just play a FPS or some free dungeon crawler?

I can see if the game was Everquest/ UO where almost all exploration is done in a party or group, strong social interaction with other players, overcoming 80% of the games challenges with other players. You know "Social Interaction", then I  can understand playing and paying for a mmorpg every month.

But in Swtor and not just swtor but other current "Next gen" mmos as well I find myself soloing 75-80% of the game and the other 20% of group content is either raids, a few dungeons or PVP, All instanced give me the loot now types.

So why do people still play these games? Single Player rpgs have way more social interaction nowadays then these so called mmorpgs, better and more story, more dialog, no need to pay to play every month. Etc etc etc.

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

You pay to exsist in a virtual world which sadly in swtor is not that exsistent, since the worlds are not seamless.  Feels much more like a lobby game that has a very good single player element to it while levelling.

I just want to add that I really want to like swtor I like my character and what it can do its just fundamental mmorpg features and meta games are missing. All there is to do really is farm dungeons at endgame thats it.

Wheres the open world pvp with ATATS and crazy fortress to take down, I thought mythic had a hand in this game its clear they did not.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

I can tell you that I am still playing the game and enjoying the SP aspects. On some servers though, the community is horrible just like every MMO. I agree that the way MMOs are right now is not that great. One thing I wish they would do with all MMOs is to have adult servers. I turn off general chat most of the time but when you have to endure it to find a group, it is truly the worst aspect of the game.

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by Wicoa

You pay to exsist in a virtual world which sadly in swtor is not that exsistent, since the worlds are not seamless.

But thats what I mean Skyrim, dragon age, etc are more of a thriving virtual world than most mmorpgs that have been released thusfar

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Better question is, why do people spend all this money, and make such disappointing mmorpgs in the past 5-7 years.

I think the newer games coming out and in the dev cycle show more promise though, seems people are starting to get away from trying to make the next WoW.

Time will tell, and devs often bow to the newer wow type crowd and put in the generic systems and get away from innovation, to play it safe....Hopefully they stop doing it.

True innovation and greatness and playing it safe do not belong together.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

There are no next gen mmorgs out, Rift was the last half decent one and that folllowed the destructive tiered gear end-game cycle.  SWTOR, well you said it yourself.  checkout GuildWars 2 for a game that is going to get back to where a mmorg should be i.e  social, solid virtual world (not just aan xp trail), cohesive game,no gear inflation and peer pressure to keep up with tier x.  

Most importantly, developers who care about the product and let profit take care of itself.  Thats where these other games went wrong, they chased the features that they perceived to give more profit and tried to build a game around it. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by LydarSynn

I can tell you that I am still playing the game and enjoying the SP aspects. On some servers though, the community is horrible just like every MMO. I agree that the way MMOs are right now is not that great. One thing I wish they would do with all MMOs is to have adult servers. I turn off general chat most of the time but when you have to endure it to find a group, it is truly the worst aspect of the game.

Thats my question though why play and pay for a mmorpg to just enjoy the SP aspects?

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

For me the reality is that I will head back to wow I like paying my fee so that at least I have some exclusivity. GW2 may tempt me away from that.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by nomatics856

Originally posted by LydarSynn

Thats my question though why play and pay for a mmorpg to just enjoy the SP aspects?

its nothing to do with age, the gaming world is getting older not younger, imo it is to do with the state of the game and how happy people are.  If you were loving the game and happy then I doubt you would be moaning and trolling in chat.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I suppose it would have to be because I liked the Star Wars IP and I thought the story lines are good for the most part. If you are asking if I would rather play this as a SP game then yes I would. 

It's not moaning and trolling- it is just pure stupid juvenile connversations. The idiotic Chuck Norris jokes and the tiresome Skyrim reference about arrows, light sabers, speeders etc. to the knee.

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

I enjoyed SWTORS single player aspect a lot more than its mmorpg aspect, and when playing dungeons and PVP "The group aspect" of the game it just felt dumbed down and not that interesting at all, combat was delayed and frustrating, laggy to all hell, buggy. It made me wonder do people enjoy this? If people wanted their Co-Op fill couldnt they just play a FPS or some free dungeon crawler?

I can see if the game was Everquest/ UO where almost all exploration is done in a party or group, strong social interaction with other players, overcoming 80% of the games challenges with other players. You know "Social Interaction", then I  can understand playing and paying for a mmorpg every month.

But in Swtor and not just swtor but other current "Next gen" mmos as well I find myself soloing 75-80% of the game and the other 20% of group content is either raids, a few dungeons or PVP, All instanced give me the loot now types.

So why do people still play these games? Single Player rpgs have way more social interaction nowadays then these so called mmorpgs, better and more story, more dialog, no need to pay to play every month. Etc etc etc.

I just have to say that this is one of the best thread titles I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I'm grinning ear to ear because with that one sentence you sum up SWTORs problems.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Originally posted by Wicoa

You pay to exsist in a virtual world which sadly in swtor is not that exsistent, since the worlds are not seamless.

But thats what I mean Skyrim, dragon age, etc are more of a thriving virtual world than most mmorpgs that have been released thusfar

^ This.

I remember when WoW was first released. It was a fantastic social game. As the MMORPG genre grew, these gaming companies tried to homogenize the videogame experience to those unfamiliar with MMORPGs. This has killed the social aspect of these games. If you design a game so that people can solo until they reach end-game content, they haven't fostered any in-game relationships come end-game time.

This is the crucial intangible part of these games, the part that they don't even need to code, that major companies have killed by streamlining them for solo play.  The social experience is cultivated by grouping and enjoyoing the game with others.

WoW used to have this, as did many other MMOs.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Because they're long term RPGs that you can share items between friends and characters and save your work and come back to it years later if you so desire.

Its something single player games can't do.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Because they're long term RPGs that you can share items between friends and characters and save your work and come back to it years later if you so desire.

Can you come back to SWG?

Curiously i can go back to KOTOR any time i want...

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Diabloe 3 dude. Its not an MMO and you can do all those things.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Since WoW came out the MMO market has been getting worse and worse, more singleplayer focused with each iteration.

At this point, I'd steadfastly refuse to acknowledge instanced games like SWTOR as MMOs. It reminds me more of Diablo than anything else.

The things that made MMOs interesting - the innovation, the massive amounts of players, the seamless  virtual worlds, focus on socializing and community building, immersion, are all long gone. The last true MMO to release from a big company was Vanguard.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by SignusM

Since WoW came out the MMO market has been getting worse and worse, more singleplayer focused with each iteration.

At this point, I'd steadfastly refuse to acknowledge instanced games like SWTOR as MMOs. It reminds me more of Diablo than anything else.

its mind blowing isnt?

Part of me thinks 'wait a second they are trying to make these games bad on purpose but why..oh why? to get us to go back to watching TV?'

I joke but.... seriously...

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

It' s because all those so called mmos are trying to be single-player rpgs with monthly sub or a cash shop attached.

When you ask "Why mmorpgs are still around" I'll answer "mmos are not still around". What the big devs are trying to sell us is single-player rpgs with just enough mmo and coop features to be able to hit us for a sub. The "proper" mmos are crummy half-finished "labours of love" that are almost umplayable due to lack of proper funding.

It's a clear case of tail wagging the dog, in this case the devs dictating to players what they should play and that's why I don't play any mmo at the moment. Nothing they offer interests me in the least. I'd rather play a proper srpg such as Skyrim than a patchwork mutant such as SWTOR or mr. plasticman which is WoW.

The next gen of mmos might finally break this stranglehold, but at the moment there really is no reason to play any mmo currently out.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

If you're talking about socializing with NPCs, then you are correct.

• DusntmatterDusntmatter Member Posts: 32

I agree whole heartedly with pretty much everything on this post. Hell, Skyrim has a way bigger "community" than any MMO. The only thing I can say, while I will play the shit out of Guild Wars, I doubt it's going to the sacred messiah everyone claiming it will be. 

Developers seem to have forgotten that one and only thing that makes an MMO different from other genres, it has thousands of REAL LIFE people running around. If you want to get the genre back, start with that seed of an idea and let the creative juices flow (and I know there ways of making it actually 'multiplayer' and still cater to the 'casuals'). 

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

It' s because all those so called mmos are trying to be single-player rpgs with monthly sub or a cash shop attached.

When you ask "Why mmorpgs are still around" I'll answer "mmos are not still around". What the big devs are trying to sell us is single-player rpgs with just enough mmo and coop features to be able to hit us for a sub. The "proper" mmos are crummy half-finished "labours of love" that are almost umplayable due to lack of proper funding.

It's a clear case of tail wagging the dog, in this case the devs dictating to players what they should play and that's why I don't play any mmo at the moment. Nothing they offer interests me in the least. I'd rather play a proper srpg such as Skyrim than a patchwork mutant such as SWTOR or mr. plasticman which is WoW.

The next gen of mmos might finally break this stranglehold, but at the moment there really is no reason to play any mmo currently out.

I agree on all counts.

People nowadays are calling Guild Wars and League of Legends MMOs. The title officially means NOTHING, and its just an excuse to attach a monthly fee.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by precious328

In all fairness single player games are not much better than our MMO selections, just different.

Single player games have great graphics and great experience for the 1 hour of content they have.

MMO have 6 hours of content but less so on the graphics and experience...:)

swear to god TV advertisers are behind all this, they are trying to get us to go back to TV

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Originally posted by precious328

In all fairness single player games are not much better than our MMO selections, just different.

Single player games have great graphics and great experience for the 1 hour of content they have.

MMO have 6 hours of content but less so on the graphics and experience...:)

swear to god TV advertisers are behind all this, they are trying to get us to go back to TV

At least, unlike SWTOR, the things you do  in singleplayer games impact the game world and change it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

1) There are no alternative for good small group content. I can't play SKYRIM with my sons, or friends.

2) I don't know about you. But when I play WOW (also count as a current gen MMORPG), i group almost all the time, including leveling. With LFG tools, there is no reason to solo unless you reallyl want to.

3) People are not playing a game for social interactions. They are doing it for either co-op play or PvP.

4) Many LIKE instance based "balance" e-sport type pvp. See the other instanced pvp thread for why people like it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by Cuathon

Diabloe 3 dude. Its not an MMO and you can do all those things.

And it is NOT out yet. BTW, when Diablo 3 is out, i think that will be my main game.

However, without that, there are NO good RPG that i can play co-op with my family & friend.