Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sneak Peak - PvP Scholar Armor

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/31/a-sneak-peek-at-guild-wars-2s-pvp-scholar-armor/

I gotta say, I'm not really into the 'lingerie armor' look.  It's not TERRIBLE, I just don't care for it and prefer armor design grounded in more realism and function.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Looks good for female elementalist armor. About what I would expect honestly.

I would like to see some of the other armor sets, preferably both male and female versions of PvP sets.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

meh. it's the armor from the G Star demos.

- they need to buy new graphics cards at arenanet. every video/screenshot out of their office looks like medium settings DX9 with no AA. game looks much better at the game shows, even on GTX 2XX hardware.

- this jackass needs to post all the screens and stop milking 4 a day. there's like 80 screenshots.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Those outfits look like she initially wanted to wear decorative armor, then changed her mind and went for a swimsuit look, then changed her mind again and wanted to wear a ball dress, after which she yet again changed her mind and decided to wear lingerie.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by fony

- this jackass needs to post all the screens and stop milking 4 a day. there's like 80 screenshots.

Hah, so annoying when people do that for traffic...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Dressed for war.  Pretty much what I would wear if I were to wade into a warzone with projectiles and magic flying around everywhere.  I love how much it protect her midriff.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by fony

meh. it's the armor from the G Star demos.

- they need to buy new graphics cards at arenanet. every video/screenshot out of their office looks like medium settings DX9 with no AA. game looks much better at the game shows, even on GTX 2XX hardware.

LOL, well I tell you what - you go get an interview with arenanet and then get your own screenshots then post them up here for all of us to see. That will show them by god!

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

that's the best retort i have seen all decade.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Lineage II lookin ass...

C

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Looks alright. I'd be surprised if Elementalists didn't decide to slut it up.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

It seems ArenaNet has only supplied the author of those posts on GWInsider with images of the game on medium/slightly high settings. Disappointing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cag1980cag1980 Member Posts: 78

The Ele armour in GW was just the same, couple that with the fact they had the jiggle dance and it was laugh a min.

Skimpy armour is nothing new in GW....points finger to female mesmer, ele and dervish.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Those outfits look like she initially wanted to wear decorative armor, then changed her mind and went for a swimsuit look, then changed her mind again and wanted to wear a ball dress, after which she yet again changed her mind and decided to wear lingerie.

If you think that's bad, wait until you have a daughter and she learns what "The Mall" is.

I like the armor personally... it keeps the feel of armors from the original GW game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by DeaconX

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/31/a-sneak-peek-at-guild-wars-2s-pvp-scholar-armor/

I gotta say, I'm not really into the 'lingerie armor' look.  It's not TERRIBLE, I just don't care for it and prefer armor design grounded in more realism and function.

I love skimpy armour in certain games, last thing I would want is real life historically accurate armour in every fantasy game, but I get that others don't like it.

These are very nice IMO.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Not my cup of tea, never been a fan of skimpy looking armour.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Not my cup of tea, never been a fan of skimpy looking armour.

well you'll be playing a male character with lots of armour so no need to worry. unless you're one of those lol

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Personally i dont see anything wrong with this, theres a reason its called "light" armor. Ive seen female warriors and guardians and their armors cover as much as the one of the males.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Not much of a reveal, since most of us have already seen this outfit, from the G-Star vids.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by cag1980
    Skimpy armour is nothing new in GW....points finger to female mesmer, ele and dervish.

Surely you haven't forgotten the ranger's elite druid armor.

Originally posted by Master10K
    Not much of a reveal, since most of us have already seen this outfit, from the G-Star vids.

Oh, it's a reveal alright.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't mind the skimpy, but I don't really like the armor. I loved the concept art, but I don't think it translated as well in the game. That's not uncommon though. The concept art looking lovely, but then you see it in a 3d world and it feels sort of bulky and unbalanced. I'm glad they at least left out the headdress. That think was a mess, even in the armor art.

I actually prefer the male version, which is more of a suit and will look great on a male mesmer. I think what's bugging me about the female version is there's no support for the lower portion of the armor, there's just no way it would actually be able to maintain its shape. Maybe if she had a bodice that seamed into the skirt or if it wasn't as poofy, I'd be okay with it. I love the upper body portion.

And before you bug me about 'it's a game, don't need realism', you still expect a sword to 'clang' when it meets metal, don't you? You expect to be able to jump and swim, right? So some sense of realism is necessary, even if you let most of it slide.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Creslin321

Dressed for war.  Pretty much what I would wear if I were to wade into a warzone with projectiles and magic flying around everywhere.  I love how much it protect her midriff.

These comments are always worth a lol. :)

Cloth "armor" isn't going to protect you against anything if you want to inject "reality" into a Fantasy game arguement. For a Mage like class, their armor is just about modesty and the use of style to project the image they want to project for themselves. If a fashion says "I'm a powerful sorceress and most sane people know not to even look at me funny", then it's doing it's job. Also of utmost importance is that fashion not interfere with function. It makes sense that a magic user would wear an outfit suitable for a dancer, given all the gestures, poses and gyrations required to cast a spell.

Leather armor may give some protection against a very glancing blow or protect the wearer from some damage caused through abrassion, but it's not going to do much versus a well placed slashing, piercing or bludgeoning attack. Most leather wearing classes in fantasy games are also of a type that require outfits that support mobility and dexterity and won't trip up the wearer in the midst of fancy footwork or active dodging.

Now heavy metal armors with glaring bare spots shouting vulnerability? Yeah, those are mostly a gratuitous concession to eye candy that may not make much sense in context, but mobility still comes into play. How many metal armors in ancient times had a "kilt" for the lower half? Many. All those soldiers running around with metal curiasses and bare legs were not running around that way to look "sexy".

Of course, it's unlikely that any armor of any type not enchanted against magic damage would provide any protection at all against magic.

GW2 caters to many aesthetic styles and every one from the prudish to the free spirited will have options they will find appropriate. However, it irks me when people pretend that their aversion to "sexy" armor has anything to do with realism.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

Ele's are supposed to be all about high energy and raw power, so flashy, provocative getup suits the females.  Same with Mesmers trying to get you to look at anything other than what really matters.  Now a lady necro wearing one of those, dyed all black with raven black hair....  I just gave myself wood.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

A whole bunch more just got posted: http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/gwi-exclusive-gw2-pvp-action-armor-pets/.

I must say I like the asura spots quite a lot.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

They had addressed the concerns about skimpy armor in a blog post about a year ago.

"I would like to say a quick word about where we stand when it comes to the “sexiness” of our armors and costumes. This is a controversial subject that I encounter frequently on forums and message boards—not just about Guild Wars, but about a lot of games. I understand that many players feel that armor should be practical, realistic, and shouldn’t leave skin exposed to attack. When coming up with ideas for armor, the character and concept department try to balance the practical with the fantasy. We make armor that looks protective and functional, but we also make armor that looks sexy and shows a generous level of strategically placed skin. We recognize the “fantasy” aspect of our game; if you are able to rain down balls of fire from the sky, your clothing should not be a factor when it comes to body temperature, whether you are wearing your underwear or a fur coat. We’ve always intended to create outfits for male and female characters that are appealing and attractive without making our players feel uncomfortable about what their character or other player-characters are wearing. I think that Guild Wars has been very successful in this regard, and we will continue to make outfits that adhere to this philosophy."

http://www.arena.net/blog/designing-humans

Surprised not to see it linked in this thread yet.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Creslin321

What it lacks in protection it makes up with distraction.