Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would have retained you ?

124»

Comments

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

NO world sharding(aka No cor 1, cor 14, cor 129, etc..) and any four of the following:

1.  Non Cliche storylines.
    2.  Immersive worlds.
    3. Good racing minigame.
    4. Unique quests.
    5. Same non force classes on both sides
    6. Freeroam mission based space combat.
    7. Better and interesting skill trees. (Each tree should provide a unique gameplay)
    8. Multiple leveling paths.
    9. Customizable starships.
    10. More iconic races.
    11. UI that didn't suck
    12. All flashpoints being about story.
    13. Crafting that wasn't pointless
    14. Companion kits.
    15. More social content. Fishing, swimming, drinking, etc...

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Drakxii

NO world sharding(aka No cor 1, cor 14, cor 129, etc..) and any four of the following:

2.  Immersive worlds.

3. Good racing minigame.

4. Unique quests.

7. Better and interesting skill trees. (Each tree should provide a unique gameplay)

10. More iconic races.

11. UI that didn't suck

14. Companion kits.

agree with everything but your NO 1 .. cliche storylines are the essense of star wars itself.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by precious328

The only thing that would retain me would be meaningful World PvP. This tiny instanced / huttball bs is insulting. It really is.

I wouldn't midn the state of the game if the developers had Indy-like funding. But BioWare had the financial backing to make the ultimate game that appealed to everyone. They didn't do that. They made the most simple MMO I've ever experienced that literally has zero sustain.

Yeah, Bioware really needs to open up the financial books, and show how this game was funded.  Right now it sounds like 150 mill spent on shiny voices, 48 mill spent on marketing, and maybe 2 mill tops on the actual game.

As for what I would have liked:

1.)  Better grouping options leveling up.  Leveling up really is a solo, or maybe at best one additional person affair. 

2.)  Better polish.  When I say that I mean, to give just three examples:

2a.)  One quest for example, telling the truth gives you 50 dark side points, whereas lying and being an accessory to murder gives you 100 light side points.  Huh?

2b.)  In one of your class quests as an Inquisitor, there's an option for a double bladed lightsaber.  Only problem?  Sorcerers can't use a double bladed lightsaber.  Were they that lazy?

2c.)  You are to travel to the secret cult camp, so secret it has public transport!  They should've moved that to later levels, where people had speeders of their own and made it genuinenly secret.

2d.)  World boss:  If you can find him, you can have a good fight.  This was a great idea for a way to encourage grouping, develop a storyline, and pit you off against him with a great group.

3.  Worlds with more life.  Right now, there isn't a lot of immersion.  And, a lot of the caves/compounds on different worlds are basically the same art.  Make each world come alive with its own flavor.

4.)  A PvP system that encourages players to go to different worlds held by the adversary.

5.)  A more in-depth econ featuring different and more varied tiers of parts crafted, to encourage people doing econ together.

Originally posted by iceman00

Yeah, Bioware really needs to open up the financial books, and show how this game was funded.  Right now it sounds like 150 mill spent on shiny voices, 48 mill spent on marketing, and maybe 2 mill tops on the actual game.

As for what I would have liked:

1.)  Better grouping options leveling up.  Leveling up really is a solo, or maybe at best one additional person affair. 

2.)  Better polish.  When I say that I mean, to give just three examples:

2a.)  One quest for example, telling the truth gives you 50 dark side points, whereas lying and being an accessory to murder gives you 100 light side points.  Huh?

2b.)  In one of your class quests as an Inquisitor, there's an option for a double bladed lightsaber.  Only problem?  Sorcerers can't use a double bladed lightsaber.  Were they that lazy?

2c.)  You are to travel to the secret cult camp, so secret it has public transport!  They should've moved that to later levels, where people had speeders of their own and made it genuinenly secret.

2d.)  World boss:  If you can find him, you can have a good fight.  This was a great idea for a way to encourage grouping, develop a storyline, and pit you off against him with a great group.

3.  Worlds with more life.  Right now, there isn't a lot of immersion.  And, a lot of the caves/compounds on different worlds are basically the same art.  Make each world come alive with its own flavor.

4.)  A PvP system that encourages players to go to different worlds held by the adversary.

5.)  A more in-depth econ featuring different and more varied tiers of parts crafted, to encourage people doing econ together.

we all had a good laugh about this one in general chat in game the other day

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by sanosukex

2.  Immersive worlds.

3. Good racing minigame.

4. Unique quests.

10. More iconic races.

11. UI that didn't suck

14. Companion kits.

agree with everything but your NO 1 .. cliche storylines are the essense of star wars itself.

Well I don't me cliche in the http://tvtropes.org way but in the bioware way of  do one thing, then do the same thing 4 different places then do one thing and  repeat.  

Though a few less kick the dog and idiot hero choices would have been nice, but then it just isn't a bioware game without it's overly simple black and white morality.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by sanosukex

2.  Immersive worlds.

3. Good racing minigame.

4. Unique quests.

10. More iconic races.

11. UI that didn't suck

14. Companion kits.

Well I don't me cliche in the http://tvtropes.org way but in the bioware way of  do one thing, then do the same thing 4 different places then do one thing and  repeat.  

Though a few less kick the dog and idiot hero choices would have been nice, but then it just isn't a bioware game without it's overly simple black and white morality.

ahh get it then yea agree 100% now:)

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

It's hard to say what would have kept me becouse I had many, many issues with the general design. I will say if it had been more "open" and less bottle-necked, that would have gone along way in keeping me.

Mainly it gave no (1) freedom of choice; (2) it had no sanbox element whatsoever (do they realize this is an MMORPG?); (3) too constrained, and, therefore, claustrophobic feeling; (4) the saber animations are horrible, imo; (5) it just needed more general open-world freedom to go outside the storyline & needed to be skill based, rather than level based...all of this and I am a massive Star Wars fan.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

I guess more of what I'd want:

Yup, add me to wanting to see the ability to group up in space missions.  Do a bit of exploring in space.  Maybe a few space orientated flashpoints?  (Haven't hit 50 yet, honestly, are there any, haven't seen any talk.)

Space missions that aren't mandatory, but are good group missions, that offer some nice rewards.

But given the utterly attrocious rail format, you really can't innovate at all on space combat.  They should've just left space out, or copied the old Jump to Lightspeed from SWG, and just updated the graphics.  Whatever one thought of the problems on ground in that game, the space portion was universally hailed.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

The fact that they came to the conclusion that strong story elements were what the MMO genre was missing just goes to show how little they understand the strengths and weaknesses of MMOs as a medium.

Story has not been missing from MMOs, it's been there all along. To avoid confusion I'm not referring to linear task hub grinder flavor text here, either. Many non-linear, non-wow clones, have offered strong game worlds and plenty of tools with which to interact with it that allow players to embark on their own (potentially multi-year spanning) stories with friends simply as a byproduct of advancing through these worlds.  

With Swtor we have a game that feels and plays a hell of a lot like WoW and all of its clones, although somehow more forgiving and less challenging. Once their story gimmick runs dry we're left standing around at max level in a game world that was only designed as a set piece for a story that's ended rather than a living breathing world ready for players to have endless adventures in. There's simply no room for players to embark on any adventures of their own. 

The novelty of voice overs was nice for a week or two, but it's evident that voice acted quest text as primary form of entertainment is not a very sustainable form of content in an MMO.

If they'd directed resources towards fleshing out the game world, it's systems and varieties of content rather than primarily being hell bent on forcing me through their pre-canned story, I probably would have had a lot more room to have fun in the long run and more reason to stick around.

Implementing a loot system that was varied and interesting rather than something that made me feel I was playing through a carefully calculated soulless spreadsheet would have helped, as would an increase in difficulty level. I personally don't get any satisfaction in playing through a game where the outcome is just about guaranteed victory every time, especially when partnered with a complete lack of risk. 

They designed a hallway with a finite amount of content rather than a world with interesting dynamics that encourage continued play.

It's a themepark problem exacerbated by the limiting nature of a strong narrative.

While I'm currently playing neither, and would have loved to love swtor,  I have to smirk at how much more Rift accomplished with a fraction of the budget.

It speaks volumes. 

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

A pseudo fps style combat, and if this game had nothing to do with EA.

• ArcheonusArcheonus Member Posts: 14

To put it simply, a better combat system.  Perhaps there are many other things that the game would require to hold my attention for a longer period of time, however I am certain that I would have stayed longer than a day if the combat had been more intuitive rather than face rolling.

If a game has boring combat, I just can't see myself playing for an extended amount of time.

Perhaps I need a more action oriented beat em up game, I don't know.  I do know that hacking away at a mob with a weapon that is supposed to slice through metal with ease is considerably immersion breaking.

Love Guild Wars? Final Fantasy? Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings?
    Here is an excerpt from the new series:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/79738399/Archeon-and-the-Virgo-Moon-Excerpt

• JohnShieldsJohnShields Member Posts: 35

Two words...

... "Insignificant patches".

More explained here:

http://forums.veteransofwar.org/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=3762

Basically in a nutshell there's SO many bugs in this game some of which that destroy my experience, and the patches thus far have been 1, 2, 3 things. They've released their biggest patch yet after I made that post. But too little, too late for me.

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

I really can't think of a thing that would keep me playing it; I enjoyed it for about two weeks, but rolling alts was a pain, not to mention 99% hutball and a lack of open PvP until 25+. I think they would have done better with more starting areas, and some varied leveling zones. As it stands, once you get past 10, it's the same exact quests over and over on new chars.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

Originally posted by Kenze

better ui

more group content

easy grouping tool

less weapon restrictions

better performance

better graphics

1 or 2 more iconic SW PC races(cyborg is not a race. its humans with attachments)

this ^

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Originally posted by Deleted User

Originally posted by DeaconX

Originally posted by DKLond

1. I would have liked a design that wasn't creatively bankrupt, with some SIGNIFICANT innovations.

2. I would have liked open world PvP in the vicinity of what they promised, instead of the blatant lie of what's actually there.

3. An engine that could handle more than 12 people in close proximity on a high-end rig.

4. Something other than 100% vertical gear progression as the entirety of the end-game experience.

5. All the voice-over work and presentation of the side-quests should have been dedicated to the class stories instead, and then the side-quests themselves would be presented like the INCREDIBLY bland combat-filler bullshit tasks that they really are.

6. A meaningful Space Combat implementation. Ideally, a free roaming space segment - complete with PvP combat. I can't think of a more obvious avenue of success than this - and any engine should be able to handle ~24-48 ships in proximity with a black starry background and a colorful nebula texture.

7. Responsive combat system.

8. A less complicated/mess gear customization system.

9. Worlds/planets with ambient sounds and a soul - rather than dreary linear open spaces.

10. Weather system and a day/night cycle.

11.  A proper "auction house" with up-to-date functionality.

12. Etc.

All of this, plus a more appealing art direction as I think almost everything their art department did is utterly uninspired, uncool, and unattractive.

Star Wars as an MMORPG is just not meant to be a straight up themepark.  Single player Star Wars games do that already... Star Wars fans want to live in this galaxy far far away.  A Themepark/Sandbox hybrid theory should have been worked at early design stages imho.

Honestly, I could go on about how this game is NOT the Star Wars MMORPG I was looking for...

Says who?  You?  You are now the only word to come to what is appropriate in Star Wars games? 

Sorry, I disagree... as do many others.

Anyways, sandbox games are not a populat breed.  The only one that has shown any success is EvE.  And, even then it's a love v. hate relationship with that game.  Personally, I think it's an Excell spreadsheet with a gaming GUI attached to it.  But, I'm not going to state my dislike on it is the end-all-be-all opinion.  Unlike you, I understand that people have games that they like and dislike. 

My opinion is just that... mine.  Your opinion is just that... yours.  Neither of us speaks for what should or should not be.  Yet, you did, and you were called out on it.

ummm... that's what makes EVE great... because ...waiiiit for... it......... waiiiiit forrrr it...

RPGS ARE ESSENTIALLY SPREADSHEETS BY DESIGN.

You're in the wrong genre if you're complaining about that.

The nerve of some people...

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by iceman00

I guess more of what I'd want:

Yup, add me to wanting to see the ability to group up in space missions.  Do a bit of exploring in space.  Maybe a few space orientated flashpoints?  (Haven't hit 50 yet, honestly, are there any, haven't seen any talk.)

Space missions that aren't mandatory, but are good group missions, that offer some nice rewards.

But given the utterly attrocious rail format, you really can't innovate at all on space combat.  They should've just left space out, or copied the old Jump to Lightspeed from SWG, and just updated the graphics.  Whatever one thought of the problems on ground in that game, the space portion was universally hailed.

Considering these guys made mass effect, you woulda thunk they could have done a much better job on space, and space exploration.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Iam still playing but my sub is cancelled and will run out ....

What would have hold me in the game:

* an immersive more open game world and not so linear and static, not instanced.

* more vivid wildlife, npcs, vivid cities...aswell more and better sounds for it

* overall more content for the community & more specific for multiplayer i.e. quests

* interesting crafting which has a meaning and is made by the player and not by companions

* personal I miss StarWars feeling, for me StarWars is probably more around Darth Vader & Rebels

* better pvp: actually StarWARS and not throwing a ball around, driving fighting vehicles in pvp & air,  much bigger BG maps with more massive fights. Open world fights for territory would be nice, fights for buildings which you can conquer and so on....

At the end the game wont change much with additional patches, swtor is like it is and some maybe enjoy it for longer and some not. I had some fun for a while but Iam missing a lot playing this game for longer and dont feel really playing a massive multiplayer.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

a non-wow endgame

bored of grinding instances either pve or pvp to get gear

bored of dailys

this is starwars, it should have

big FO battles like hoth

desparate eascapes persued and out numbered by the enemy in your rusty old tub (but fast when she works) of a space ship

angry aliens picking fights with you while you have a drink in the cantina

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I am still subscribed as theres nothing on the market worth playing right now.  But  Iwill be quitting for TSW and GW2.

At least SWTOR's leveling is pretty darn fun.  I have already gotten my Assasin to level 50 and full champion gear and I am now working on a Operative, Juggernaut and Trooper.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

An end to the stupid maintenance times

Less instancing

More open worlds

More players (less sharding)

Speech bubbles

Swimming

Sitting in chairs

Free flight space combat

It ALL of those were addressed I might come back for a month to see how it plays... so I won't be back.

• ElajehElajeh Member Posts: 10

After playing and paying for SW:TOR I now have the utmost respect for and interest in, playing and paying for final fantasy XIV 2.0. Yeah yeah it was horrible, total botch job all around. However, this is the great part. Heads rolled! The company came out and apologized to the community for making and releasing garbage! (Honesty is the best policy) The next intelligent act was they made it free to play for those who purchased it, while forming a new team and began reworking the title. (Admitted faults and began reconstruction efforts) Through the months they have been incredibly transparent and vocal with the community with all the updates and content leading up to the 2.0 re-release.
    I must say, if BW / LA / EA would do this... I know I'm lol-ing right now @ the mere thought of that.. never will happen. As a gamer, and a customer, FFXIV at the very least handled the situation with perfection.
    The time has come to be honest. <-- that is a period. BW / LA /EA whom ever has created a poorly built product. In a manner of speaking, they have sold everyone a late model car with the promise that it is brand new all around! No amount of updates will suffice. No amount of content jammed into this gremlin of nightmares and slashed dreams will ever turn the ugly duck into the fairy princess we had all hoped for. Truth is, the game was built on a terrible foundation. Does anyone know anything about construction? Especially foundation work on a preexisting home? For those of you who do not, I'll explain. <For Sale> or <Money Pit>
    So what features would have kept me subbin? None. Not a one. SW:TOR needs to take a cue from FFXIV and do the upright thing. Then I would consider giving them my money. Until that day, my monies going to some place that won't sell me garbage and then tell me that it's not. </3

"You were supposed to be the chosen one!"