Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers down..... again.....

Comments

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by bartoni33

Originally posted by William12

no one who plans to continue playing is quitting because of downtime.  EVERY MMO has downtime suck it up and deal with it or quit and quit your next MMO when they do the same thing 1 month after launch.  All these threads make me feel sorry for how stupid the MMO playerbase is.

Well the OP is.

I also feel sorry for stupid MMO players. I feel even more sorry for the mods at the OBoards that have to wade through tons of bullshit threads like this one every day. THAT is why they shut the OBoards down during downtime. We all get punished because of a few babies. Fun that.

It's just baffling this is a planned downtime and people still cry.  

You want fixes to bugs ?  You want more content stop crying about patches how do you think they get the stuff in game ?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by wireded21

Originally posted by Laughing-man

regularly scheduled maintenance is regular.

Except it isn't... week before last it was postponed without warning, and then carried out 2 days later only to be followed by a ninja patch and downtime the following day.

I'm not moaning about the fact that they schedule maintenance, but for me, the time I have available and the fact that in the first month of playing this must have happened 6 times to me at least I feel like I can only play less than 1/2 of what I would have otherwise.

Hence, monthly sub just can't be justified.

This morning right now is scheduled maintenance. 

Which you are aware of.

So you are complaining about the other times that its down, which they've taken it down to apply hot fixes to improve game play problems.  Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of a game in its first few months?

A lot of games have server updates quite often in their youth, its preferable to having massive system roll backs and server instability and server crashes.

Which is what a lot of other games have had happen in their early days.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Skuall

as Eu player , that isnt working today.............im !"·$%&

I feel your pain.

How DARE an American company schedule things around American time zones! The nerve!

If I were you I would just unsub right now. RIGHT NOW! You're not working so do it.

well if so, american company can keep their shitty prducts dont even dare to send em us to europe if thats the case.

by all means. and yes shutting down servers whenever they pleases eventho today might be maintenance day it dont remove the fact that allmost evey other day the servers are down aswell. be smart people and stop playing this american product!

;)

chees what a people.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

If the down time wasn't so long, the complaints would be far fewer. I don't know what the latest downtime was, but when they were down eight hours for a single patch, it became obvious that there is something wrong with their process. Scheduling on a Saturday is just dumb, no matter how you look at it and what times the downtime covers in particular time zones.

Back when I was playing Rift, most patch related downtime was 15 minutes and I don't remember the servers ever being offline for more than two hours. That's what players should expect from a current generation MMO. Just one more area where TOR falls short.

It should be possible today to have almost no downtime, even if some redundancy of hardware and the ability to dynamically move the processes for a single game shard between physical servers is required. Given revalations late last year about exactly how little is spent on server capacity for a typical MMORPG, it seems that they should be willing to spend a little more money to minimize downtime and maximize player retention.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by fiontar

If the down time wasn't so long, the complaints would be far fewer. I don't know what the latest downtime was, but when they were down eight hours for a single patch, it became obvious that there is something wrong with their process. Scheduling on a Saturday is just dumb, no matter how you look at it and what times the downtime covers in particular time zones.

Back when I was playing Rift, most patch related downtime was 15 minutes and I don't remember the servers ever being offline for more than two hours. That's what players should expect from a current generation MMO. Just one more area where TOR falls short.

It should be possible today to have almost no downtime, even if some redundancy of hardware and the ability to dynamically move the processes for a single game shard between physical servers is required. Given revalations late last year about exactly how little is spent on server capacity for a typical MMORPG, it seems that they should be willing to spend a little more money to minimize downtime and maximize player retention.

All these complaints are valid, and I agree and empathize with them.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261
    You were unlucky on the Saturday but the servers go down every Tuesday at the same time so you will have to get used to it!
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

no one who plans to continue playing is quitting because of downtime.  EVERY MMO has downtime suck it up and deal with it or quit and quit your next MMO when they do the same thing 1 month after launch.  All these threads make me feel sorry for how stupid the MMO playerbase is.

Well the OP is.

I also feel sorry for stupid MMO players. I feel even more sorry for the mods at the OBoards that have to wade through tons of bullshit threads like this one every day. THAT is why they shut the OBoards down during downtime. We all get punished because of a few babies. Fun that.

It's just baffling this is a planned downtime and people still cry.  

You want fixes to bugs ?  You want more content stop crying about patches how do you think they get the stuff in game ?

They could do it by shelling more moolah to heroes. HERO-engine live-update

But seriously, it's pretty useless to get worked over announced maintenance and patching. Saturday fiasco wasn't well communicated and I hope they learned something from it.

Saying that, I understand this might have been the notorious last straw to the OP. What I don't understand, is 3 pages to tell him he shouldn't do so. Don't post to it and it will go away after serving the purpose of venting from OP.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Server downtime has always frustrated people since the dawn of MMOs this is nothing new. Hell I even remember EQs servers being down for a whole day. Even though we have come a long way since then people still bitch about it.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by Mundus

Yeah that sucks.

Why are they doing this? Why can't they just let the servers run themselves? Can't they just launch the game and then leave? My god think of all the money they would save if they just would leave the game alone and let it run itself. Why are they bothering to try to fix things?

Another thing, why don't they tell us ahead of time when they are doing this? At least make it THE SAME TIME EVERY WEEK! C'mon BW! Why are you trying to make the game better? Jeez!

Oh yeah why don't they alter the rotation of the Earth so that all maitenance times are early in the morning! That should be priority #1 BW!

Fixing and maintaining the servers... what is BW thinking!

Maybe they simply use the wrong technology. There actually are IT systems which can be patched at runtime with zero downtime. Ask Ericcson and their telecommunications system with a availability of >99%.

Erlang anyone?

Edit: And for the record, such telecommunication systems have a way higher load than our measly MMOs.

This.

There are multiple companies out there offering servers and technologies that can be patched with "zero" downtime; big companies hire or buy the tech and decide whether they want 99% or 99.9% or 99.99% etc. Imagine other industries having scheduled + unscheduled downtime; banking, airlines, hospitals, stores etc. Servers are more capable and cheaper to boot.

EA could also have decided to have fewer server clusters - gone for 100k population a "server" say (or more). But no they went with queues and the inevitable mergers that will be needed. 

And - to cap it all - didn't even bother to do what other companies did and split their maintenance.

It may be cheap but it isn't next gen. 21st century.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Today's downtime is planned and scheduled but I do empathize with EUs who have to contend.

LAST time they were down I assume they wanted to patch something big like the valor crap in Ilum. (Only reason to put a game offline during prime time/weekend hours for all the players is fixing something game unbalancing or game breaking) and didn't pull it off. Then a rather lame 'fixed d/c from game servers' etc etc (which I personally still get *shrug*)

So today is expected and maybe will fix whatever they didn't pull off this past weekend. I really don't care very much anymore though I am sorry for the folks who planned/wanted to play today.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Anyone want to start a pool on how many weeks it will be before we stop getting threads about scheduled down time?

** edit **
    @TheHavok - :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I feel your pain.

How DARE an American company giving service to European paying clients schedule things around American time zones! The nerve!

If I were you I would just unsub right now. RIGHT NOW! You're not working so do it.

Colored text inserted for clarification.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Being a European gamer myself... I am so glad I never had to experience any of this BS from Trion. At least they are smart enough to give the Americans and the Europeans their own downtimes (both scheduled and non-sheduled).

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by brutality123

I feel your pain.

How DARE an American company schedule things around American time zones! The nerve!

the EU server are in dublin.....

http://maps.google.com/m/places?oe=utf-8&gl=es&hq&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&hnear=0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0,Dublín,+Co.+Condado+de+Dublín,+Irlanda&oi=nojs#ipd:mode=search&q=dublin

american 100%

I don't think he was saying about server location. I thought he said that they were an american company so when they sell a worldwide product they can if they want only cater for america

You are correct. The alternative would have been to not allow EU players to play at all. Would you like that instead?

I'm guessing Bioware would miss several hundred thousand subs more than I'd miss the game.

Although I do like the game, a lot.

It doesn't matter where a company is from. If a big enough customer base is located abroad, you'd be expected to cater for them. 

Not sure why people are moaning about the clearly advertised weekly downtime though. 

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I don't mean this sarcastically at all but is this your first MMO?

Most MMO, have a weekly mainetenance. World of Warcraft has had weekly (almost every week) for many, many years. When Everquest 2 first lauched, you actually had a daily mainetnence where they patched the game daily to fix little bugs that popped up and stuff. Things will get better over time. I know how frustrating it is to have the game be down, especially when they take the game down for a 4+ hour maintenance more than once a week. It will get better. Just hang in there.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

So I get up Saturday, I've got a few hours free time, try to log in... servers down, maintenance for small patch...

Next chance to play today... guess what servers down again...

Had it last week too...

This was the reason I gave for cancelling my subscription last week. I have a few days left on my free month but it doesn't even look like I'll be able to use them.

I won't ever go back to this game unless they reduce the cost by 25% for european players.

So let me get this right, just because of a few times you tried to play maintanance was going on your going to quit. Real mature, real mature.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Depending on where you live, CCP does downtime right IMO, occurs at around 7 am ET, (noon GMT) depending on daylight savings time and lasts for less than an hour a day.  

Of course when larger patches go in it can take much longer, but at least they aren't regularly down for large blocks of time on a Tuesday like WOW and apparently SWTOR are. (L2 also does, on Wednesday's I believe, but I'm at work then)

Of course the Aussies don't care much for CCP's schedule (right smack in the middle of their prime play time) but for most of the world it works pretty well.

Now the weekend down time was a bad idea, but sometimes it just has to be done which is why I keep a copy of Skyrim handy to keep me busy when the inevitable happens.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Servers are back up. You can wipe the tears away and play now.

And I don't want to see ANYONE giving BW credit for only being down 4 hours instead of the scheduled 6.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

So I get up Saturday, I've got a few hours free time, try to log in... servers down, maintenance for small patch...

Next chance to play today... guess what servers down again...

Had it last week too...

This was the reason I gave for cancelling my subscription last week. I have a few days left on my free month but it doesn't even look like I'll be able to use them.

I won't ever go back to this game unless they reduce the cost by 25% for european players.

So let me get this right, just because of a few times you tried to play maintanance was going on your going to quit. Real mature, real mature.

It's frustration and quite legitimate. Try not to minimize it just because you don't feel the same. THAT is immature.

• GagelishGagelish Member Posts: 13

They're up.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

The last saturday downtime was really a bad idea but today, it's just the scheduled meaintenance, every mmo has it. But the truth is, they are looonger than most regular maintenances from other mmos.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

OMG!

I have to download a 12.5MB patch too? AND install it? What is BW thinking!

Will this nightmare ever end?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    yea, what's next? content updates and bugfixes?

nonono, this can NOT continue like this!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

In just about every MMO game, TUESDAY is always the maintenance day.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Im ok with servers beeing down for maint, But EIGHT hours!!!! No other MMO that i have played have so many hours for downtime.

LOTRO only have about 3-4 hrs. Heck even SWG back in the days only had about four hrs downtime for patches.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!