Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Gen MMO Req.

ZeemerZeemer Member Posts: 15

Heres what I think the next generation mmo will include. 

1. No Levels

2. Vague Class System

3. Voice/Video Communication

4. Free 2 Play

5. Micro Transaction Marketplace

What do you think the next step for MMO's is? 

Comments

• BrodterBrodter Member Posts: 73

None of these.  The next MMO will be full immersion.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

That will be one dull mmo.

How about:

1) good crafting with a player economy. With items being better than loot items.

2) get rid of pvp gear and the boring grind for tokens/commedations/etc and actualy add some good pvp for a change

3) player content to allow players to make up races, treasure hunts, etc.

4) Player housing with decoration skills like SWG. Player cities like archeage/swg.

5) Sandbox, to open up the game to give the players options. Themeparks limit us gamers and cant believe people like these console ripoffs and pay a sub for it.

6) territorial fighting that actualy means something for a change. Bonuses and negatives for winner/loser.

7) Exploration of the entire universemap/etc. Not being led around like a dog on a leash.

8) No class, use skill points. Dual-spec even. More professions/classes to pick from.

9) Creature handling, taming, etc.

10) Indepth feel, not these mediocre and skinned games that feel the same. Let me use my brain for a change.

11) Challenge

12) 3+ factions, these 2 faction things get boring. Adding more factions will change things up.

13) Hybrid - mix between the stry telling of themeparks, but the openess of sandboxes

I can add so much more here, we need more from mmo companies not just f2p, voip, and the other few things you mentioned.

Tired of these games ive been seeing released left and right, but look and feel the exact same.  We need features and things to allow players to carve out their game time, experience, and fun. We need social aspects to bring communities togeether. We need much more than what is being offered with the new aged garbage.

Give us a real mmo, because the new gen mmo's just lack in everything.

• papaz1papaz1 Member Posts: 27

1. Player built town/cities

Reason: Guilds and simple flags/tabards just doesn't cut it if you want to have a feeling of belonging to a team/group of people. With more and more UI elements that helps you find groups for various quests/ PvP battles people doesn't feel the need to be in guilds.

But imagine your guild having a town. A town which you have together built, a town with you need to defend against enemies, a town where you all can hangout and not just in a random place in the game where you only see each other when fighting or doing quests.

2. Real money transactions

I think the road Diablo 3 is going is going to get bigger in the future. More and more people working full time (aka not people in school) are gaming. They want a piece of the action too and they can't sit for 5-8 hours a day and grind for a particular weapon or piece of gear. Some poeple have time, others money. 

3. Sandbox

Hopefully worlds and economies that have their a life on their own as much as possible. EVE is a good example.

• PlaywithmePlaywithme Member Posts: 5

None of these I think will be included. I think the future of MMO will be all Pay to play. and they will just create lots of games with the same gameplay.

• dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

I'm hoping for a non tab target medieval MMORPG with some sort of client side hit registration so ping isn't a factor, it should also be a sandbox and have full-loot. 

I also hope that they don't cater to casuals that much in the sense that there is no limit to your player skill (not character skill), so that there is always something you can improve with your game. 

Majority games I play today are easy to play and easy to master, which is like 99% of tab target MMORPGs. Once you have the gear you can't really get any better as a player, which makes the gameplay stale and boring imo... 

Originally posted by papaz1

1. Player built town/cities

Reason: Guilds and simple flags/tabards just doesn't cut it if you want to have a feeling of belonging to a team/group of people. With more and more UI elements that helps you find groups for various quests/ PvP battles people doesn't feel the need to be in guilds.

But imagine your guild having a town. A town which you have together built, a town with you need to defend against enemies, a town where you all can hangout and not just in a random place in the game where you only see each other when fighting or doing quests.

+1

Originally posted by Onomas

How about:

1) good crafting with a player economy. With items being better than loot items.

2) get rid of pvp gear and the boring grind for tokens/commedations/etc and actualy add some good pvp for a change

4) Player housing with decoration skills like SWG. Player cities like archeage/swg.

5) Sandbox, to open up the game to give the players options. Themeparks limit us gamers and cant believe people like these console ripoffs and pay a sub for it.

6) territorial fighting that actualy means something for a change. Bonuses and negatives for winner/loser.

7) Exploration of the entire universemap/etc. Not being led around like a dog on a leash.

8) No class, use skill points. Dual-spec even. More professions/classes to pick from.

10) Indepth feel, not these mediocre and skinned games that feel the same. Let me use my brain for a change.

11) Challenge

12) 3+ factions, these 2 faction things get boring. Adding more factions will change things up.

13) Hybrid - mix between the stry telling of themeparks, but the openess of sandboxes

I can add so much more here, we need more from mmo companies not just f2p, voip, and the other few things you mentioned.

Tired of these games ive been seeing released left and right, but look and feel the exact same.  We need features and things to allow players to carve out their game time, experience, and fun. We need social aspects to bring communities togeether. We need much more than what is being offered with the new aged garbage.

Sounds like Darkfall done right. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I hate to break it to you, but WOW set the precedent for future Theme Park MMOs.  Just as Doom and Quake set the precedent for FPS games.  You most likely aren't going to see a drastic shift away from the WOW model for several generations.  Improved graphics and incremental changes will be the norm. 

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

My next gen MMO req list would be alot of tech upgrades suchas:

Win 7 64 bit optimized

Multicore/thread optimized

SLI/Crossfire optimized

DX 11.1 optimized

Now features would like to see:

One dedicated ffa/pvp server instead of the lame pvp servers that are barely different then pve servers.

random loot

Very limited quest rewards

crafting based economy

Mix of sandbox and themepark: ie main story quests themepark with high production value.  Everything else open ended

No elves or dwarves

limited instancing only for important story based quests

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I hate to break it to you, but WOW set the precedent for future Theme Park MMOs.  Just as Doom and Quake set the precedent for FPS games.  You most likely aren't going to see a drastic shift away from the WOW model for several generations.  Improved graphics and incremental changes will be the norm. 

Its about to change it seems, i think GW2 will start the change the sorry state of the MMORPG market. Everquest 3 is in development (Still awhile off though) i do have hopes on that because SoE isnt afriad to try somthing different although half the time it doesnt work out but atleast there trying new things. Also apparently it will be based around the early days of EQ 1 which was the best time for gaming. I also miss EQ FFA pvp server, PvP teams servers (4teams).

• zxcvbnm1234zxcvbnm1234 Member Posts: 92

It should be just like an evolution version of Ultima Online with quests and raids will be good enough for me.

• ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'd hate to say it, but you're probably right.

Although, I think there still will be a market for sandbox type open pvp games like DF, MO, and Asheron's Call.

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Onomas

How about:

11) Challenge

Archeage comes to my mind after reading this :)

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

1. more involving gameplay than shit like WoW. 

2. serviceable graphics

3. good atmosphere and a world that feels lively and alive. weather system, NPC's that talk and move and live their lives.

4. game design that encourages playing together. no more lame ass quest step system where it's a pain to group if someone else isn't on the same step of a quest.

5. do away with shitty old mechanics that only lead to conflict and griefing(node stealing, mob/exp/loot stealing. ramndom rolls for one to three loot drops that 5, 10 or 25 people have to compete for).

6. better game design than just grind raids till a patch negates all your gear's usefulness.

7. balanced pvp

8. something to do in towns besides run in circles and sit on top of the bank.

9. custom soundtracks

• jackmike008jackmike008 Member Posts: 6

WOW has its advantages.